• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I really liked the first couple episodes of Another when it looked like it was going to be focused more on psychological horror, but then it got all in-your-face campy horror and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

Of course I've come into Mayoiga expecting an equally bad story about people who are dumb and die in dumb and ridiculously elaborate ways, but that's not the kind of thing I actually like watching at all and I'm merely abiding by the three-episode rule to avoid dropping stuff that might actually be interesting down the line. Shock for the sake of shock feels really pointless to me, and shows that base their whole premise on doing something comparable in depth and quality to one of Grisaia's subplots (and we're talking about an H game there, for crying out loud!) just aren't my cup of tea.

Fair enough. I can't really see Mayoiga going into a 'serious' direction, but we'll see.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 22

The episode is mostly about the after effects of
Biscuit's death.
They do a good job showing the effect that
Biscuit's death
has on Tekkadan and Orga
Admittingly, Orga was lucky that everyone on Tekkadan survived up to that point.

Good episode. I imagine they'll be in Edmonton for the next episode.

The biggest mall in North America I'll have you know. We pride ourselves on that fact.

I'm two provinces away only, I'm in Ontario, Toronto to be more precise. Having been here for 7 years, I've only really gone to Ottawa and Montreal which is a shame. Edmonton, along others, is somewhere I plan to go to when I have the chance.

Is Edmonton a good place to visit?

:p

Contrary to what NHLGAF will tell you, it's a decent city to visit. Aside from West Edmonton Mall, there's the Edmonton International Fringe Festival in August, the Muttart Conservatory, the Telus World of Science and the circus that is the Edmonton Oilers amongst other things.

I'm two provinces away only, I'm in Ontario, Toronto to be more precise. Having been here for 7 years, I've only really gone to Ottawa and Montreal which is a shame. Edmonton, along others, is somewhere I plan to go to when I have the chance.

If it means anything, downtown Edmonton is currently undergoing a revitalization of sorts that won't fully complete for a while, so it's not like you need to visit the city right this moment. If given the choice, I'd recommend going to Kelowna, Vancouver or Banff before visiting Edmonton.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III, Episode 2:

Well, they certainly took the critique that the first two seasons were too stiff and joyless to heart and now we have elements they quite honestly are out of the 1990s series. To wit, Sailor Moon and Sailor Chibi Moon having wacky chase time issues with the Daimon is one such example. Speaking of stiff and joyless the Sailor Guardians have another encounter with the duo and get to encounter that perhaps world famous prickly personalities the tend to exhibit towards Sailor Moon and The Inner. The mangaka was apparently surprised that the first anime series took these character traits and ran with them.

If it means anything, downtown Edmonton is currently undergoing a revitalization of sorts that won't fully complete for a while, so it's not like you need to visit the city right this moment. If given the choice, I'd recommend going to Kelowna, Vancouver or Banff before visiting Edmonton.

Ahh thanks for the heads up! Me and some friends have been talking about visiting Vancouver one of these days. That will most likely be the next spot we visit.

Mayoiga 01

We got an edgelord, Punished Snake, and Soy Latte all up in this show. What have I gotten into. Then they all sing about an unlucky hippopotamus. The part where the lead is sleeping actually freaked me out outta nowhere though, not gonna lie. This is a really, really weird show. I'll watch episode 2, this is all so weird that it makes me want to watch more lol.

Qurupeke

Samurai Flamenco [END]

Alright, I think I'll post some more solid impressions, even though the Seo gif sums up the show perfectly. This picture is also fitting:

1Dszura.png

I think I may have skipped some work I had to do today, but I just couldn't stop watching it. The show is a thrilling ride on the best rollercoaster of the world, with the biggest curves and the most dangerous loops.

Spoilers, just in case. You absolutely should go without prior knowledge on this. And so I did.
Personally, the only details I knew, were that it has to do with modern heroes and people were really excited every time they mentioned it. I think I had heard the word "subversion" quite a lot too. In any case, I thought that a twist would happen pretty soon, as the plot moved a bit too fast, and it would be a pretty big twist. My first guess was that it would to go dark and touch issues regarding the so called "heroism". Like taking lives, the grey zone of good vs evil, the use of violence, heroism in modern society etc. And honestly, I'd like such a take on the superhero genre on an anime. While the show referred to some of these points as I was expecting, well, it ended up as something really different, that exceeded my wildest fantasies about it. It had a big twist, multiple times, and every time I was surprised more and more.

I was thinking that maybe it could also go that route, but this surpassed any expectations. A gorilla cyborg appears in episode 7, after everything so far had been resolved, and the show gets bloody. Then, the show gets really, really goofy, with villains straight out of Super Sentai/Power Rangers, complete with an explosive death and over the top personalities. Then, back to dark stuff with those torture scenes... Then it literary becomes Super Sentai and heroes are real, fighting gianta monsters... And to keep it short, the show was the craziest thing I've watched after episode 7. And every time, it just kept escalating. Every time, it was a complete different show. Funny that the first opening seemed tame compared to the actual show. lol During the Engrish aliens arc, I think it reached its peak on the craziness, with that battle on the moon, even though I was totally expecting them to go even further and turn the battle to a trade of galaxy shurikens like TTGL.

And there's the ending, which took an approach similar to the first 7 episodes, and it was really good. It choose to focus on psychological torture instead of over the top, heroic action and it had a constant vibe of uneasiness. Tbh, I was totally expecting Haiji Sawada being a ghost, which would kinda ruin the whole thing though. I found it weird to believe that the characters dismissed the whole thing, mostly implying it was on Hazama's head. It's the same show that had aliens and multi dimensional creatures, someone that died returning as a ghost was certainly not impossible. Whatever. But good god. The last episode and the final confrontation was certainly the best moment of the show. Emotional, funny and over the top. Hazama is naked and is proposing marriage to Goto, while the villain just watches the scene shocked. This was the most surreal scene of the show, it topped everything so far. Just bravo.

I also enjoyed a lot of the characters, especially as the show was progressing. Specifically characters like Kaname, that were parodies of certain character archetypes... only to be the real thing. His cheesy scenes during the Flamengers(lol) arc., along with the focus on a team of the most stereotypical rangers really elevated the show. Also, I liked the idols, even though they didn't have a big role after a certain point. And then there's Goto. A tragic story, which is probably the only thing I guessed correctly on this show, and he had an amazing relationship with Hazama. Cop plus hero bromances are really typical, and I find them boring, but I liked this one. Furthermore, Hazama himself was a pretty nice protagonist. A bit of a "blank state", other than his passion for heroism, but I loved how honest he was in scenes like the fight with the Engrish alien or the Prime Minister.

Overall... I'm still a bit unsure about the series. I still can't believe that the stuff from episode 7-18 happened. I'm still partial towards a down to earth hero anime, and I liked the slow, maybe even Slice of Life, show it initially seemed to be, but I can't say that I didn't love the craziness. The political games, the monster designs, giant robots vs monsters etc. And I laughed A LOT. In the end, I guess I really liked the show and it was totally worth it just for being an insane ride. Not a masterpiece by any means, but this doesn't really matter at all in its case. The show offers a unique experience. It seems a necessity that the viewer has to accept the show for what it offers though, in order to enjoy it. Personally, I didn't have any problem doing that, and I laughed a lot as I watched more and more episodes, it was a very entertaining show. I noticed though, that the MAL score isn't as high as I'd assume, so I'm certain that not everyone thinks likewise.

I'd recommend it.

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 2

I have low expectations for the Witches 5. Not much happening here really other than Hotaru being introduced.

Cornbread78

G Gundam ep.13
Oh nice. That was a pretty damn cool
Rain x Domon duel power attack right
there. The show is definitely dated, but is a pretty fun watch.

jediyoshi

Pocket Monsters XY 66-93 End

7cveTB0.png

P6H0BrS.png

All the recent shipping bait got me curious, so time to finish out what I missed from last season. Only a few memorable episodes here. Expatriate Pokemon overturning oppressive regime, actual time travel, short film within episode starring only Pikachus with dialogue, inside of Pokeball factory, Serena dropping spaghetti. This series could use an anti-filler guide. Time for XYZ.

Mailbox

Hundred Episode 2

oh jesus.

This is horrid. I hate every character at this point.

This is... so much more than I wanted.
oh christ.

This is gonna be my hate-watch this season!

Kuragehime 1-11

Princess Jellyfish anime was much better than I expected. I really ran headfirst into the manga and ended up getting sucked in, so I figured my expectations were bound to be dashed no matter how low I laid them. So I was completely surprised when the series turned out to be excellent as well. Even more so was I blown away by how loyal the series stayed to the style of the manga. I might even get around to watching the movie one day.

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.20-22
I'very seen this same childhood missing nemory mystery ending play out in about 10 different animes now and this must be the godfather of those series. At least Keitaru does have a little love triangle going on, but you can already tell that it goes NOWHERE and nothing is resolved because of the childhood crap... uugghh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Love Hina ep.20-22
I'very seen this same childhood missing nemory mystery ending play out in about 10 different animes now and this must be the godfather of those series. At least Keitaru does have a little love triangle going on, but you can already tell that it goes NOWHERE and nothing is resolved because of the childhood crap... uugghh.
It goes....somewhere.

Hundred 2

I don't know what I expected but I sure as hell SHOULD have expected at least one accidental landing on girl boob grab "ecchi no bakka nobody has touched me like that before"

But I didn't

And when it happened I wanted to die. Light novel writing is a flat circle.

Mailbox

Hundred 2

I don't know what I expected but I sure as hell SHOULD have expected at least one accidental landing on girl boob grab "ecchi no bakka nobody has touched me like that before"

But I didn't

And when it happened I wanted to die. Light novel writing is a flat circle.

It was in the trailer. We all knew it was gonna happen :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zEpa58xl.jpg

HpmN0pml.jpg

DERE DERE BLUSH BLUSH

Xi23Qftl.jpg

pOJ3x8ol.jpg

WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

5iXd973l.jpg

It even had the one dumb Latin phrase that every single writer in Japan tries to through into their anime to make it seem better than it is.

This is the purest form of anime I've seen in a while. Thank you Japan for reminding me why anime is the most important cultural medium of our generation.

Clov

Kuragehime 1-11

Princess Jellyfish anime was much better than I expected. I really ran headfirst into the manga and ended up getting sucked in, so I figured my expectations were bound to be dashed no matter how low I laid them. So I was completely surprised when the series turned out to be excellent as well. Even more so was I blown away by how loyal the series stayed to the style of the manga. I might even get around to watching the movie one day.

Very enjoyable anime! Loved it myself. Definitely glad I grabbed the BD before it went out of print here. Makes me wish that josei stuff got animated more often.

SalvaPot

Phoenix Wright 2
Much better than the first episode, it feels very light and the music when they found the body was... ok, I actually giggled at it. It was silly. But the investigation and how Phoenix convinced Maya to take her case was really sweet and much better than the game. If the anime brings us more moments like this I am all for it.

Jojo 4-2
That was fun, and the dialogue is pretty sharp, I actually believed the motivation for Josuke to fight in this one and it was very well put together. Jotaro as a teacher makes him a far more interesting character.

Boku no Hero Academia 2
z3c1FrI.gif

Seinfield Season 7- 16
Oh George, never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom