• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Now that I've wasted most of my life on Stardew Valley, I can get back into anime.

What to watch first... Hmmm.

Mayoiga? It sounds suitably dumb? Is it fun dumb or just bad dumb. Guess I'll find out.

Now that I've wasted most of my life on Stardew Valley, I can get back into anime.

What to watch first... Hmmm.

Mayoiga? It sounds suitably dumb? Is it fun dumb or just bad dumb. Guess I'll find out.

It's kinda alright, but still stuck in the prologue. I legit thought Another was great (if really exaggerated toward the end), so I had high hopes for this show, but so far it's not that eerie, none of the characters are very interesting, and basically the show's just sorta interesting because it has the potential to be interesting. I had high hopes based on the people involved with it, and I'll probably stick with it, but I'm not expecting too much out of it anymore.

Have you heard of Hundred?

I read a review that ranked it below Cerberus so I haven't checked it out, do you think it's worth watching?

Russ T

Banned
Yeah I actually really like Another, too!

At least ten minutes in it seems fairly, hmm, straightforward. Hell of a lot of characters that are all cut and dry stereotypes. Could either be good or bad at this point!

e_i

Bakoun! episode 2

What a father. First, he let's his five-six year ride on the motorcycle with him, and then the ungrateful fuck doesn't thank her for getting his prized bike for him.

SNAFU/Oregairu 1

I often hear people call things "pretentious" that don't deserve the label, but this actually does. It tries to dress up what a cheap LN harem scenario by having obtuse enough writing that the audience will be distracted. The protagonist Hachiman comes off as a typical teenager trying to justify anti-social behavior through cynical philosophy and intellectual pretensions. The delivery of the dialogue between him and the female lead makes the show feel like a discount Bakemonogatari.

Nobody talks shit about my Bathachiman and gets away with it.

89xRc0B.png

SNAFU/Oregairu 1

I often hear people call things "pretentious" that don't deserve the label, but this actually does. It tries to dress up what a cheap LN harem scenario by having obtuse enough writing that the audience will be distracted. The protagonist Hachiman comes off as a typical teenager trying to justify anti-social behavior through cynical philosophy and intellectual pretensions. The delivery of the dialogue between him and the female lead makes the show feel like a discount Bakemonogatari.

That might be because he is. Well.. maybe not typical. OreGairu always felt like it was about the crippling self-doubt and assumed identities brought on by precocious youth, all told from within that viewpoint. The show conveys fairly well what it’s like to be young, smart, and insecure – the loneliness, the self-effacing humor, blaming your issues on others, and, yeah, even the pretentiousness that comes with that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SNAFU/Oregairu 1

For me, it's a show that existed in context and served as a compromise between the pure anti-social nature of Watamote and the ambivalence of Hyouka. The fact that the character continually martyrs himself is what makes him interesting, since it's completely self-destructive and he doesn't really care. It's why the whole Hachiman = Batman thing happened, complete with one of the fansub groups replacing the OP with The Dark Knight theme.

For me, it's a show that existed in context and served as a compromise between the pure anti-social nature of Watamote and the ambivalence of Hyouka. The fact that the character continually martyrs himself is what makes him interesting, since it's completely self-destructive and he doesn't really care. It's why the whole Hachiman = Batman thing happened, complete with one of the fansub groups replacing the OP with The Dark Knight theme.

I googled that opening one day and I laughed my ass off. The fact someone actually bothered to do it is 2good.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SNAFU/Oregairu 1

This has me sort of puzzled. I feel like you sort of missed the point with the MC....

I don't think Hyouka is ambivalent. The whole point of the show is to depict Oreki steadily coming out of his self-imposed shell through the intervention of Chitanda and others. It's sustained character growth that wholly endorses the benefits of human relationships.

Now SNAFU might also depict character growth over the course of the series, and I know the second season is supposed to be the good one anyway. But I'm not in any rush. The style of writing in this episode just rubbed me the wrong way.

Cornbread78

That might be because he is. Well.. maybe not typical. OreGairu always felt like it was about the crippling self-doubt and assumed identities brought on by precocious youth, all told from within that viewpoint. The show conveys fairly well what it’s like to be young, smart, and insecure – the loneliness, the self-effacing humor, blaming your issues on others, and, yeah, even the pretentiousness that comes with that.

The psychological aspect of the show and the interactions between the characters was always the best part. I miss AnimeGAF's psychoanalyzation of Hiki and friends each week.

aw shit forgot it's Hundred day

Better jump on that. Our MC already did today as well.

Binging ERASED was a mistake. I'm completely drained. God damn.

Good or bad? How'd you feel about it?

y would he say this if it didn't happen in this timeline?:

someone help me out here

My theory was that his ghosts exist concurrently (so there would be like 5 of him walking around right now), but he says it too soon for that to be true (before the MC gets attacked by the 3 dudes), so it must be that people have some small memory of his previous actions. The MC says something to that effect as well. Either it'll get explained later, or it doesn't really matter.

y would he say this if it didn't happen in this timeline?:

someone help me out here

I just ignored it to be honest, I was hoping that the implication was that another poor kid helped his daughter. Like a Steins;Gate like correction where if he didn't help the daughter, someone else would.

For the greater good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It did happen, just "Satella" did it on her own. I think.
I'm not sure he would get recognition for that.
My theory was that his ghosts exist concurrently (so there would be like 5 of him walking around right now), but he says it too soon for that to be true (before the MC gets attacked by the 3 dudes), so it must be that people have some small memory of his previous actions. The MC says something to that effect as well. Either it'll get explained later, or it doesn't really matter.
I had the same immediate though as you, probably because of the imagery in the OP. But yeah, kind of just had to write it off as the second of the two.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think Hyouka is ambivalent. The whole point of the show is to depict Oreki steadily coming out of his self-imposed shell through the intervention of Chitanda and others. It's sustained character growth that wholly endorses the benefits of human relationships.

Now SNAFU might also depict character growth over the course of the series, and I know the second season is supposed to be the good one anyway. But I'm not in any rush. The style of writing in this episode just rubbed me the wrong way.
I mean, that's the thing, he's an Oreki who cares even less. He's thrust into this club against his will and forced to solve "mysteries", but rather than highlight his abilities and form connections, his solutions all involve bearing other people's social burdens.
Heck, I'm surprised people didn't call him Jesus back then.

I mean, that's the thing, he's an Oreki who cares even less. He's thrust into this club against his will and forced to solve "mysteries", but rather than highlight his abilities and form connections, his solutions all involve bearing other people's social burdens.
Heck, I'm surprised people didn't call him Jesus back then.

Jesus isn't anti-social.

Seisen Cerberus 02

This MC annoys the hell out of me and sucks what little entertainment I am able to gleam out of this show the moment he does anything or opens his mouth.

Jesus isn't anti-social.

Is your issue the fact he's anti-social, unpopular and embraces it? I mean there's character development but his character for the longest time is how he acknowledges that often the simplest solution is one that isn't popular. It's a nice change of pace from most of these shows having people who go WAY the fuck out of their way to help others, this guy likes the simple straightforward solution no one wants to think about. The Batman jokes are there for a reason. Keep watching as the interesting aspect of his character involves his world view and personality greatly
hurting those that grow to like him.

Quasar

Yeah. The show even has a joker to boot. Amused to hear a fansub group did that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom