• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elfen Lied is the kind of thing you watch when you get into the medium because you came across its name from some clips on YouTube of gritty anime (I expect Parasyte to fall into this category). Once you've seen about say five shows there's really no excuse to watch it.

No excuse.

Yep, you'd be better off watching its far funnier clone Brynhildr.

Quasar

Glad to see it looks like the Skipbeat ks will succeed despite getting drowned out by funimation. Though bummed it wont reach the bluray stretch goal (the only thing of interest for me given I have no interest in dubs).

Sölf

rcxFCgd.gif

zulux21

Glad to see it looks like the Skipbeat ks will succeed despite getting drowned out by funimation. Though bummed it wont reach the bluray stretch goal (the only thing of interest for me given I have no interest in dubs).

i'd actually say there is around a 95% chance of getting to the blu ray strech goal. It's looking very good for that as the last two days on kickstarter tend to get 20-30% of all the previous days which would get it to the blu ray and then some. Beyond that she is going to open paypal pledges now which from the reddit AMA should bring in at least $500. There also seems to be a number of people who won't pledge unless they will get blu rays so that could bring in a decent chunk as we get closer. and beyond that... despite all my posts here about skip beat I don't think I can even consider myself in the top 10% of the skip beat pledgers as a number of them are downright crazy, and I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of them bumped their pledge up on the last day if it didn't look like we were getting blu rays (I pledged the max I could from the start >.<:)

Cornbread78

To be fair me neither, anything above 50eps for me is way too big of a commitment. Even though I've heard nothing but praise, I still won't do it. Same as Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc. Way too many episodes.

Goddamn. Plus the seasonal stuff right??

Yeah, there's a bunch of shows already on the "drop" bubble, so...

You guys made me watch that incomplete mess last year, lol.

No excuse.

I will admit that this is really the first show I've watched where the MAL score is sooo far off-base from reality.

Squishy3

To be fair me neither, anything above 50eps for me is way too big of a commitment. Even though I've heard nothing but praise, I still won't do it. Same as Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, etc. Way too many episodes.
To be fair Gintama's really easy to start and stop since outside of the mini-arcs (4-5 episode a piece, sometimes some are only two parters) the characters are all just played for their tropes. Gintoki's a lazy roundabout, Shinpachi's just a pair of glasses, etc. It's a nice anime to have on the side in addition to whatever seasonal stuff you're watching. It's not like Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece where it's telling a continuous story over the absurd amount of episodes it has. You watch it for the comedy and then just occasionally get dripfed the story. Hell there was more overall plot development in this season than anywhere else in the series. :lol

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 24

Well the three-day timeskip could have been better implemented. I was lost in what was going on when the episode started. Those three days could have been an episode on it's own.

As for the rest of the episode, well it has the Gundam feel of
Around 25-33% of the main cast getting brutally murdered, and one insane individual (Ein) contributing to the numbers.
So there's that.

Also got to give the show credit for it's attention to detail with Edmonton. For an example:

edmonton02-510x143.png

Edmonton City Centre in IBO on the left, Edmonton City Centre IRL on the right.

edmonton03.png

Another example of IBO recreating Edmonton

edmonton11.png

Downtown Traffic is going to suck for the next weeks. Surprisingly Edmonton didn't get as much collateral damage as I expected.

edmonton10-510x143.png

I love how Scotiabank is named Bankbank BTW.

So yeah, I'm impressed with how Sunrise depicted my home city. I look forward to anime (and non-Canadian media TBH) never acknowledging it again.

pbayne

Hurray for Skip Beat KS success.

Aria 9

Probably my favorite episode so far. Just a very simple concept (live every day to the fullest) unraveled in a very natural way. Good stuff.

All these little allusions to Man-Home(Earth), it must be absolutely devastated the way they mention it, even though people still seemingly live there.

Joker Game 02

Turns out the MC isn't a blockheaded idiot like I thought he was because of episode 1. I liked this episode. Gonna be interesting to see where the story goes from here for him. If what that tweet said of them constantly changing names each episodes is true, that's pretty cool.

Sterok

Joker Game 2

I think I like this? I like the tone and premise of the spy work, but I still don't care for anyone. Maybe more time with these people will change that? The reveal coming fast before we had much information wasn't great, but I'll let it slide this time since the show is still setting its tone. Next mystery needs fewer jumps to conclusions though.

Joker Game 02

Turns out the MC isn't a blockheaded idiot like I thought he was because of episode 1. I liked this episode. Gonna be interesting to see where the story goes from here for him. If what that tweet said of them constantly changing names each episodes is true, that's pretty cool.

To be precise, starting with episode 3 each episode will be a different story in a different location following (I assume) a different spy. So it's not as if the whole cast is changing names every episode, but once the spies are deployed abroad they'll of course take on new false names.

Joker Game 2

I think I like this? I like the tone and premise of the spy work, but I still don't care for anyone. Maybe more time with these people will change that? The reveal coming fast before we had much information wasn't great, but I'll let it slide this time since the show is still setting its tone. Next mystery needs fewer jumps to conclusions though.

I don't think this is the kind of story where the spies are supposed to come off as sympathetic per se.

Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans 25

The finale episode. Gotta say it was pretty good.
Ein and Gaelio bite it by Mikazuki and McGillis' hands respectively and everything that isn't being saved for season 2 is wrapped up in a nice little bow.

I can now say that currently, Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans is the first mainline Gundam show I've liked since Gundam SEED. I'm remaining cautious about season 2 however. I'm afraid Sunrise will shit the bed with a follow up (again).

John Blade

Just rewatch Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine once more and man...the 2nd viewing you start to notice the detail of the discussion of the topic and how the main characters chance in a way you kinda admired a bit. I might need to let it sink even more till I make my final impression. A very good movie and I can see why this is a well hidden gem.

To be precise, starting with episode 3 each episode will be a different story in a different location following (I assume) a different spy. So it's not as if the whole cast is changing names every episode, but once the spies are deployed abroad they'll of course take on new false names.

That makes more sense. I'm not sure I'm too excited for the show anymore if this is really what they plan on doing. I kinda like having all of these spies clashing with this military figure, that now seems to be siding with them as he realizes how crooked his superiors are. If they continued from here that'd be perfect. If this is going to take the episodic route, I'm not sure if I'm going to be here for the long run, since most of these arcs will have to be rushed. Idk. I'll reserve my judgement until I see how it works out.

Yep, Kiznaiver going in a different direction was a good decision.

At first they got me with the OP. Then the show came and I really enjoyed what I watched. To be fair we don't have much to go on. Just why do they need these powers anyway? Everything seems peaceful. Aside from an abundance of bullies in schools LOL.

That makes more sense. I'm not sure I'm too excited for the show anymore if this is really what they plan on doing. I kinda like having all of these spies clashing with this military figure, that now seems to be siding with them as he realizes how crooked his superiors are. If they continued from here that'd be perfect. If this is going to take the episodic route, I'm not sure if I'm going to be here for the long run, since most of these arcs will have to be rushed. Idk. I'll reserve my judgement until I see how it works out.

The book this is based on is apparently itself a collection of short stories. We'll have to see next week how the anime pulls it off.

The book this is based on is apparently itself a collection of short stories. We'll have to see next week how the anime pulls it off.

On paper this sounds like the kind of thing I'd avoid. But now that I'm 2 episodes in, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it 2 more episodes, to see how this new format works from one episode to the next.

Line_HTX

At first they got me with the OP. Then the show came and I really enjoyed what I watched. To be fair we don't have much to go on. Just why do they need these powers anyway? Everything seems peaceful. Aside from an abundance of bullies in schools LOL.

I'm just in it for the wrist wounds across.

Lmao

Sterok

I don't think this is the kind of story where the spies are supposed to come off as sympathetic per se.

I don't need to necessarily like the spies, but I do want to get a sense of who they are individually. And hopefully they'll be interesting if not lovable.

Maho Girls Precure 10

Those sleeping bags are weird. Huh, maybe their luck is turning around. Or maybe not. Though why no one else picked up the shiny object I don't understand. How convenient that Riko just happens to run into mama Asahina. And somebody please just say her name already. At least Riko avoided making a complete fool of herself on technology stuff. So they're going public this time. I'm always annoyed when their 40+ battles with giant monsters always happens to occur where no one is watching. Looks like Mirai is getting off easy for just running off for a week. I'd really like to know what kind of lie she's going to tell.

Aki-at

Joker Game - 2

Enjoyable episode with a good opening segment, although the reveal this episode
was sort of wasted since it wasn't built on and answered as soon as it was questioned.
Unsure if I'm going to enjoy this show in it's episodic format from now on but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Space Dandy - 9 (The plant one)

For the most part my mind was full of wat, then by the end
I was sad, poor baby plant saying goodbye right at the end :(

Line_HTX

Space Dandy - 9 (The plant one)

For the most part my mind was full of wat, then by the end
I was sad, poor baby plant saying goodbye right at the end :(

It all... returns... to... nothing...

Bye bye~

:(

Different direction that what? Is this anime based on something that I missed/

The producer specifically said in the special episode that this will be completely different than Kill la kill, so less random wackiness with convenient asspull explanations.

Gundam Thunderbolt 03

It sure is hard being a fodder. RIP all you people that I don't know and don't give shit about.

Thought this was the worst episode yet. I didn't really mind the writing all that much in the previous episode but the pathetic attempts at fleshing out the two female characters
before offing at least one of them grinded my gears.
Claudia isn't dead. She's recovered by a new faction that plays a big role in the second arc of Thunderbolt that takes place on earth which is still ongoing. According to the synopsis, she ends up as one of their commanders which will put her at odds with Io.
Unfortunately, I don't think they'll animate that part as the anime only covers the One Year War arc of Thunderbolt. I think the author might have recognized that the female characters in the first part were kind of weak, so he introduced a new female Guncannon pilot who is actually pretty cool.

Gundam Thunderbolt 03

This felt really disjointed. I've already complained enough about how bad the dialogue is but maaaaaaaaaaaaan was it something else in this episode. Trying to characterize people who will die in about three minutes is just the worst.

Thunderbolt's writing isn't the best, but you should keep in mind that the current subs are a Japanese -> Spanish -> English translation with some lines just ripped from Zeonic's translation of the manga. That might explain why the dialog seems so wonky

Cornbread78

Love Hina ep.23-END+25
Ok, the ending was as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still left much to be desired. They didn't even really make it as conclusive of a moment as they should have. Overall, it was a decent series bogged down by your typical anine stalling and more childhood memories loss/promises/blah blah. If they had stuck to comedy and romance it would have been better, or even if they made it an all out harem instead of the awkward love triangle.

duckroll

Joker Game - Episode 2

Still enjoyable but definitely very on the nose. I can see why this show is turning some people off. It's not really a mystery or a thriller so much as a socio-political look at the spy game itself from a somewhat disconnected narrative perspective. There's a lot of exposition because it appears that the show -is- exposition rather than drama. I'm game as long as the mechanics of the cases and missions can stay interesting, and it gets extra points if there's actually an attempt to showcase how operating as a spy in different cultures presents different challenges.

John Blade

Love Hina ep.23-END+25
Ok, the ending was as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still left much to be desired. They didn't even really make it as conclusive of a moment as they should have. Overall, it was a decent series bogged down by your typical anine stalling and more childhood memories loss/promises/blah blah. If they had stuck to comedy and romance it would have been better, or even if they made it an all out harem instead of the awkward love triangle.

Ahh...not too surprise you don't like it as much. This anime now is meh to okay. I guess when it release in Japan, it was a hit because it isn't something we see before there. Now, it isn't much to talk about then the nostalgia of it. For you, if you don't really like Love Hina right now, then don't watch the special and the OVA as it will get more dumb quick. It was fun in that time but now, it didn't age as well.

PKrockin

Ahh...not too surprise you don't like it as much. This anime now is meh to okay. I guess when it release in Japan, it was a hit because it isn't something we see before there. Now, it isn't much to talk about then the nostalgia of it. For you, if you don't really like Love Hina right now, then don't watch the special and the OVA as it will get more dumb quick. It was fun in that time but now, it didn't age as well.
Ages ago I saw some 3-episode continuation where Keitaro's sister arrives and starts fighting Naru over his dick.

Anime... anime never changes.

edit: lol it's even called Love Hina Again. It's like they're calling attention to the repetition.

Cornbread78

Ages ago I saw some 3-episode continuation where Keitaro's sister arrives and starts fighting Naru over his dick.

Anime... anime never changes.

edit: lol it's even called Love Hina Again. It's like they're calling attention to the repetition.

Man, I saw those and was tempted, but I'm glad I passed now...

It is probably the Gosfather for all the modern tropes we see in anime now then.

Sölf

Regarding Love Hina, I loved the manga and after that I thought I would watch the anime. I dropped that after 2 episodes, I absolutely hated it.

Was rewatching God Eater and reached episode 10 and it is still one of the best backstory episodes for an anime. Lenka's childhood was so fun and risky though rewarding at times but ultimately still really emotional. Im glad he is driven by the hope his family left him especially his sister :(

John Blade

Back to Love Hina a bit before we never discuss about this anymore, the manga is actually not too bad at the time when I read it. Still, I don't think this franchise age too well and the creator make another show call Negima!? Magister Negi Magi. I did read the 1st volume of the manga and yea....it have the same feeling. Never did watch the show as I feel it's kinda a repeat of Love Hina in quite a few area. Did anyone watch this show to confirm this.

Oh...just got myself NieA Under 7 DVD bundle set. Was trying to bid Key The Metal Idol but lost but found out the seller is selling NieA Under 7 and I bid that and won without any other bidder. I guess I did okay. Hope the show is worth the watch.

Elfen Lied is the kind of thing you watch when you get into the medium because you came across its name from some clips on YouTube of gritty anime (I expect Parasyte to fall into this category). Once you've seen about say five shows there's really no excuse to watch it.

No excuse.

Elfen Lied is actually my personal worst manga. The sheer effort it would take to overcome the mental block stopping me from imagining it animated is beyond words. In English. I'm sure German has a word for it.

Back to Love Hina a bit before we never discuss about this anymore, the manga is actually not too bad at the time when I read it. Still, I don't think this franchise age too well and the creator make another show call Negima!? Magister Negi Magi. I did read the 1st volume of the manga and yea....it have the same feeling. Never did watch the show as I feel it's kinda a repeat of Love Hina in quite a few area. Did anyone watch this show to confirm this.

Negima is a repeat of Love Hina in that it was an excellent manga - within that Shonen Harem genre at least - that got a fairly bad anime adaptation. Akamatsu Ken puts.. something into his manga. Some kind of indomitable spirit that the characters share that makes the whole thing worth reading. None of the adaptations have really managed to pull it off.

Sterok

The Negima anime was... not good to keep it short. The manga was a favorite of mine, especially once it transformed from a harem into an action shonen. Too bad the ending was complete and utter garbage, and the sequel manga is pretty bad too.

John Blade

Negima is a repeat of Love Hina in that it was an excellent manga - within that Shonen Harem genre at least - that got a fairly bad anime adaptation. Akamatsu Ken puts.. something into his manga. Some kind of indomitable spirit that the characters share that makes the whole thing worth reading. None of the adaptations have really managed to pull it off.

Welp, I guess I wasn't a mistake then. Thank god I didn't invest too much in this franchise then.

Man....I need to make some time to read through the manga I bought like Emma. Sigh...so little time left now from my work and other stuff here.

Oh...just got myself NieA Under 7 DVD bundle set. Was trying to bid Key The Metal Idol but lost but found out the seller is selling NieA Under 7 and I bid that and won without any other bidder. I guess I did okay. Hope the show is worth the watch.

Negima pretty quickly goes off in a completely direction than Love Hina pretty quickly, it basically turns into a more action heavy shonen manga series with some harem hijinks on the side. The fanservice definitely doesn't die down though. Don't watch the anime though since it basically never gets to that point except for some of the OVAs.

For some reason Akamatsu seems to be cursed with shitty anime adaptations.

Love Hina ep.23-END+25
I love this series a lot, it's one of the earlier animes I watched and I loved it at the time. I rewatched it a few years ago and still really like it... the story, characters, and music is all great. Great series!

But for you, now, go watch Love Hina Again, the 3-ep OVA, and the two movies, Christmas and Summer, now (in that order). Love Hina Again is kind of bad but has some amusing moments, and the two movies are good.

As for how conclusive the ending is, there is a bit more of an ending at the end of the Summer movie than there is in the TV show, but the manga goes farther -- In the manga version
Naru and Keitaro actually get married at the end
. Yes, really! It's too bad they didn't make another OVA series or movie to cover the remaining arcs
such as this one in a country with lots of airships, or the long search after Keitaro confesses to Naru and she kind of freaks out and runs away, etc...
. There is a lot more after the last movie, some of it good. The original anime series is my favorite thing in the Love Hina franchise, but the manga was decent enough to finish, anyway.

So yeah, Love Hina, the original anime series, is a great series and easily one of the best harem shows ever. It's great stuff with lots of positives and few negatives.

The OP's probably forever on my list of the better anime OPs, too... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZNsRU1TYOA

Negima pretty quickly goes off in a completely direction than Love Hina pretty quickly, it basically turns into a more action heavy shonen manga series with some harem hijinks on the side. The fanservice definitely doesn't die down though. Don't watch the anime though since it basically never gets to that point except for some of the OVAs.
Yeah, I tried to read Negima, but I just couldn't get into it at all, the series wasn't anywhere near as fun as Love Hina and the action focus was kind of a mistake that he seems to prefer given that UQ Holder goes even farther down that road. Of course, though, even the second half of the manga version of Love Hina is a definite downgrade over the first half, so I guess Ken Akamatsu peaked early...

rrvv

Well the three-day timeskip could have been better implemented. I was lost in what was going on when the episode started. Those three days could have been an episode on it's own.

Around 25-33% of the main cast getting brutally murdered, and one insane individual (Ein) contributing to the numbers.
So there's that.

Also got to give the show credit for it's attention to detail with Edmonton. For an example:

edmonton02-510x143.png

edmonton10-510x143.png

So yeah, I'm impressed with how Sunrise depicted my home city. I look forward to anime (and non-Canadian media TBH) never acknowledging it again.
d2bda33590b487ac77d19c835a17d6941459742770_full.jpg

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/03/23/famous-anime-series-models-city-on-edmonton.html

John Blade

So there's that.

edmonton02-510x143.png

edmonton10-510x143.png

I can't believe an Anime show is copy the location setup of Edmonton in some area. Wow.....I guess someone there have live in Edmonton for a bit. Also, what's up AnimeGaf in Edmoton as I use to live there very long time ago. Kinda miss the place quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom