• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sölf

and yes, it did.

Durarara! 05-12: First Arc END
Holy cow, what an ending. It's been some time since something has kept me on the edge of my seat. Everyone's really great here. And what a way to end this first cour.

Celty is bae
also she totally looks like makise kurisu, so

The real problem imo is that the first few episodes are only there to introduce characters. The real "plot" of the first arc only starts to show at around episode 7+ maybe. But after that, when you basically know all characters, it concentrates more on the story instead of introduction. Which is great, because the show only gets better and crazier! :D

Sölf;200851542 said:
The real problem imo is that the first few episodes are only there to introduce characters. The real "plot" of the first arc only starts to show at around episode 7+ maybe. But after that, when you basically know all characters, it concentrates more on the story instead of introduction. Which is great, because the show only gets better and crazier! :D

What I appreciate about this 24 episode season is that this arc ends so perfectly that I can take a break for a day lol

jgminto

Here's my list so far.

Top Tier
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Tanaka-kun

Good Starts
My Hero Academia
Kiznaiver
The Lost Village

Average
Space Patrol Luluco
Ushio and Tora S2

PKrockin

I liked this video so much I gave the anime a shot (Kill Me Baby). Unfortunately the animation and soundtrack are practically nonexistent so I don't know why they bothered making that 4koma strip into an anime to begin with. At least with Sakamoto desu ga--another anime I see people complaining about for not reaching the potential it could as an anime--you get amazing jazz tunes kicking in to add to the swag.

Cornbread78

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd Season [All]

Because of that last "Fin" I really don't expect another season.... though I really hope there is one.

~.... welp, back to finals prep...

Edit: Oh shit, Its my birthday now....
Well... okay then...

From what was said, the manga is still ongoing and yeah, a third season does further the ships, so we can only hope..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!

Now, go study!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I liked this video so much I gave the anime a shot (Kill Me Baby). Unfortunately the animation and soundtrack are practically nonexistent so I don't know why they bothered making that 4koma strip into an anime to begin with. At least with Sakamoto desu ga--another anime I see people complaining about for not reaching the potential it could as an anime--you get amazing jazz tunes kicking in to add to the swag.

It's called minimalism. KMB is anime as an art form. Also the music is as jazz as you can get.

(Voices can add a lot to an manga adaptation)

Qurupeke

Kuma Miko 2
XVGu84g.png
Really enjoying this show and it's my biggest surprise this season so far. I didn't even consider watching it and it's turning to one of my favourites. Something about the laid back nature of it, the calm tone, Machi's naivety and the interactions with the bear makes the show stand out. This and Flying Witch have really satisfied me as far as country based shows are concerned.

Will watch all of anyways

JoJo
Ushio and tora s2
Phoenix Wright
My Hero Academia
Sailor moon crystal
Sakamoto

If it stays enjoyable I'll keep watching

Twin star exorcist
Kabanari of the iron fortress
Space patrol luluco

Still need to check out

Joker game (think I'll wait for dub)
The other trigger show

Clov

What I think out of everything I'm watching so far:

Great:
Joker Game

Very Good:
Flying Witch
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Good:
Kuma Miko
Pan de Peace
Space Patrol Luluco
Shounen Maid
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

Mediocre:
Ace Attorney
Haifuri

Haven't thought that anything I've watched so far is completely awful, but that has plenty of time to change. Joker Game is kind of on the edge of "great" and "very good" for me right now; I think it's pretty interesting, but part of me feels like it could have been paced a bit better. Wasn't a fan of how in episode 2
our protagonist for this episode has the sudden realization of where the foreigner is hiding the microfilm right at the beginning. It feels a bit weird and cheap to start off with that, since it feels like there wasn't a lot of build up. If this happened at the end of the first episode, or towards the middle of this one, I don't think it would have felt so odd to me.

Apart from Ace Attorney not being as good as I hoped it would be, what surprised me the most was how good this season of Jojo's is. I wasn't a big fan of Stardust Crusaders, but this season has been so much better in terms of style and creativity at the beginning. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Pepperoni and Bacon Pizza Tier:
Macross Δ
Hundred
ConRevo S2
Luluco

Pepperoni Pizza Tier:
Flying Witch
Bungou Stray Dogs
Kuma Miko
Kiznaiver
Re: Zero
Sousei no Onmyouji

Cheese Pizza Tier:
Hero Academia
Bakuon
Aikatsu Stars
Asterisk 2
Haifuri
Kabaneri
Netoge
Shounen Maid
Sansha Sanyou

Low Fat Pizza Tier:
Mayoiga
Seisen Cerberus
Pan de Peace!

Things that are not Pizza:
Endride
Tanaka-kun
Ace Attorney

Pineapple Pizza:
JoJo

I watch too much anime.

Wagnaria 3 1-14

I really enjoyed this more than I was expecting, it seemed like a nice quirky show when I first started but the characters ended up a lot more endearing than I thought they would be. Even though the show didn't take their relationships and such too seriously for the first seasons, once things started actually progressing for them all I found myself more elated about it thought since things that were mostly just being played for jokes up to this point were finally being resolved. I have to say though, it's a bit annoying with this and a lot of other anime that things being resolved is a sign that the series is ending lol. I need more shows where stuff like that happens more frequently.

Also, there really needed to be more Matsumoto.

Excited to see more:
Bungo Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio
Kagewani
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

Interested in seeing more:
Flying Witch
Joker Game
Mayoiga
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Do not intend to see more:
Endride
Kabaneri
My Hero Academia
Space Patrol Luluco

Still interested in seeing:
Haifuri
Kuromukuro
Sailor Moon Crystal III
Sansha Sanyou
Twin Star Exorcists

There isn't much to it. I just thought it was boring and visually not very appealing.

Fair enough. I think you're a little hard on it - at the very least, there are some attractive natural backgrounds - but that's not a crazy opinion.

The Best
Concrete Revolutio S2

Good
Jojo
My Hero Academia
Assclass S2
Kagewani

Okay
Joker Game
Kabaneri
Twin Star Exorcists
The Lost Village

KIZNAIVER
KIZNAIVER

Bad
Ace Attorney
TERRAFORMARS REVENGE

Wagnaria 3 1-14

I really enjoyed this more than I was expecting, it seemed like a nice quirky show when I first started but the characters ended up a lot more endearing than I thought they would be. Even though the show didn't take their relationships and such too seriously for the first seasons, once things started actually progressing for them all I found myself more elated about it thought since things that were mostly just being played for jokes up to this point were finally being resolved. I have to say though, it's a bit annoying with this and a lot of other anime that things being resolved is a sign that the series is ending lol. I need more shows where stuff like that happens more frequently.

That's a trait of serialized narratives in general. If you resolve all the plot hooks you had set up, you either need to invent new plot hooks that will need resolution or anything more you write will come off as superfluous and unneeded. As an example, the Lovely Complex anime completely resolves the main pair's relationship with a couple of episodes left over, and the remaining episodes are unmemorable and pointless side stories.

PKrockin

Good thing I found out lists of filler episodes are a thing. Now I can catch up on the 6 years of Detective Conan I'm behind by. Only 200-ish canon episodes to go!

Qurupeke

Kaiki Tier:
Mayoiga

Senjougahara Tier:
Concrete Revolution S2
Jojo

Hanekawa Tier:
Kuma Miko
Flying Witch

Tsukihi Tier:
Lulucop
Kiznaiver

Karen Tier:
Kabaneri
Boku no Hero Academia

Mayoi Tier:
Sakamoto Desu Ga
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Ararararraragi Tier:
Joker Game

Toothbrush Tier:
Ace Attorney
Netoge

Why you gotta be all special and stuff and make the rest of our tier names look bad Qurupeke? I also dislike your tier list implies Hanekawa is not top tier.

Kaiki Tier:
Mayoiga

Senjougahara Tier:
Concrete Revolution S2
Jojo

Hanekawa Tier:
Kuma Miko
Flying Witch

Tsukihi Tier:
Lulucop
Kiznaiver

Karen Tier:
Kabaneri
Boku no Hero Academia

Mayoi Tier:
Sakamoto Desu Ga
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Ararararraragi Tier:
Joker Game

Toothbrush Tier:
Ace Attorney
Netoge

So you are saying Kabaneri is trash then

That's a trait of serialized narratives in general. If you resolve all the plot hooks you had set up, you either need to invent new plot hooks that will need resolution or anything more you write will come off as superfluous and unneeded. As an example, the Lovely Complex anime completely resolves the main pair's relationship with a couple of episodes left over, and the remaining episodes are unmemorable and pointless side stories.

I get that, at the very least I'd prefer it if shows like this didn't hold off on pretty much everything until the very end and just have things be resolved gradually with downtime in between. Although with the way these series are normally I suppose that would probably give people the false expectation that more would be resolved at the same pace.

Cornbread78

I get that, at the very least I'd prefer it if shows like this didn't hold off on pretty much everything until the very end and just have things be resolved gradually with downtime in between. Although with the way these series are normally I suppose that would probably give people the false expectation that more would be resolved at the same pace.

I'd prefer more stories that pair a couple early and follow their story together. Unfortunately, there are veryfew examples of that outside of Clannad (really in After Story) Nodame Cantabile ( Paris and Final Act seasons) SAO is probably the closest thing. There are a couple more I can't think of. I love a story with good character/relationship growth.

Since everyone is doing lists, although I've already done mine a few pages back, this is it currently, with one show added and one week's time to think about it. Honeymoon phase is over:

The great
Kabaneri
Flying Witch

The good
Kiznaiver
Re:Zero
Bungou Stray Dogs

The "I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm interested"
Joker Game
Lost Village

The "I'm ready to drop this shit any minute"
Tanaka-kun

Clov

I'd prefer more stories that pair a couple early and follow their story together. Unfortunately, there are veryfew examples of that outside of Clannad (really in After Story) Nodame Cantabile ( Paris and Final Act seasons) SAO is probably the closest thing. There are a couple more I can't think of. I love a story with good character/relationship growth.

There's definitely some better examples than those where major characters form relationships relatively early on. If I'm remembering right, there's Paradise Kiss, Nana, Kemonozume... while I don't like this one as much, there's also Ore Monogatari. That's just in terms of TV anime, of course.

It's definitely not common to see, and it's even more rare to see it done well.

Ojamajo Doremi - 39

RFmOqFk.png

Onpu in a nutshell.

It's amazing at how much this girl does not give a shit.

Everyone: "Using magic to alter people's thoughts is bad!"
Onpu: "Nah it's fine."
Everyone: "Onpu your magic that we said was bad completely messed up this young couple's relationship!"
Onpu: "Not my problem!"

And she does it all with that smile on her face.

Gunslinger Girl 9

The past two episodes have had some holes in their direction, but this episode was as good as the show's ever been. There was particularly good lighting (allowing for the general weakness of the early digital composite) which added to the atmosphere, such as the scene in Elsa's room (which was painfully barren and dark compared to the other girls' rooms). It was a good study in contrast between the Henrietta and Jose pair we've been following all alone and the Elsa and Lauro pair introduced this episode. Whereas Jose treats Henrietta with kindness and attention, Lauro treats Elsa only as a tool to be used or discarded as necessary. You can even see this in the way both Lauro and Elsa refer to the girls as "cyborgs" whereas the others generally refer to them as "girls". This creates a problem, because even with the conditioning Elsa still has a craving for attention and approval from Lauro that she's not getting. The ending did a good job of depicting her despair at being rejected.

Arabesque

Now I'm sad because I didn't know there was even going to be a second season up until now :( I really liked that show back when it aired. One of the few mecha shows I was actually down for every week.

I believe they made a novel (series? Not sure, I think it might have been a single novel) instead of a second season, since they couldn't manage to get the necessary funding for it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
My list so far
Will definitely watched
Jojo DIU
Bakuon
Flying Witch
Kumamiko
Joker game
Kiznaiver
Space Patrol Luluco
Boku Hero
Sakamoto desu-ga

Maybe will continue
Macros delta
Kuromukuro
Mayoiga
Tanaka wa itsumo kedaruge

Naaay
Ace Attorney

I think i watched too many anime

Cornbread78

There's definitely some better examples than those where major characters form relationships relatively early on. If I'm remembering right, there's Paradise Kiss, Nana, Kemonozume... while I don't like this one as much, there's also Ore Monogatari. That's just in terms of TV anime, of course.

It's definitely not common to see, and it's even more rare to see it done well.

I watched half of Paradise Kiss, but it had such a weird tone to it, so I put it on hold. Up to that point, it's hard to say they were really "together" but I'll have to watch it to the end to see how it turns out.

Kemonozume was friggen weird and I only got through a couple episodes. I'll go back to it eventually, but it was just weird as hell.

Ore Monogatari definitely works and I loved that one!

Nana has been on my "must watch" list for awhile, but I'm really torn on whether I'll really enjoy it or not based on other reviews from people who have watched it here.

I just wish there were more of those type of stories out there.

Now I'm sad because I didn't know there was even going to be a second season up until now :( I really liked that show back when it aired. One of the few mecha shows I was actually down for every week.

I freaking loved Gargantia even before I was a big fan of mecha.

Chambro was the best, Ledo's dissonance with the ship and his relationship with Amy was super endearing, and the overall mystery of the Hideauze and their relation to Earth and the Galactic Alliance blew my mind back then.

It was actually the first show I watched weekly as it aired alongside AnimeGAF.

Overlord
Yeah this is exactly as great as reported, the MC seemingly having a hard time of letting go of his past MMO triumphs and rejecting the real world to stay behind in the virtual one he had an impact on was a nice touch. I can't help but feel that this might be further developed in the manga and/or second season (come on Anime gods make this happen) if only to answer the question of
why he hasn't starved to death

The Devil is a part timer!
Goddammit two great shows with no second seasons, I laughed out loud so many times but my favourite is probably the taxi gag in the first episode, that moment of 'maybe I did this?' was comedy gold. I also want much, much more of this.

Dammit I'm starting to understand the bitterness behind 'read the manga/VN' endings now :(

I believe they made a novel (series? Not sure, I think it might have been a single novel) instead of a second season, since they couldn't manage to get the necessary funding for it.

See if I went down that rabbit hole, I'd have to go read Rokka and Grimgar first.

I freaking loved Gargantia even before I was a big fan of mecha.

Chambro was the best, Ledo's dissonance with the ship and his relationship with Amy was super endearing, and the overall mystery of the Hideauze and their relation to Earth and the Galactic Alliance blew my mind back then.

It was actually the first show I watched weekly as it aired alongside AnimeGAF.

I loved the characters as well. And the colours and setting/environments were gorgeous. The plot itself was pretty damn interesting too.

Dammit I'm starting to understand the bitterness behind 'read the manga/VN' endings now :(

Back to my first quote reply, they are the worst.

duckroll

See if I went down that rabbit hole, I'd have to go read Rokka and Grimgar first.

It's not much of a rabbit hole. There are only two novels and they cover the entire plot outline laid out for the cancelled season. They also include lots of artwork and designs done for the preproduction phase of the anime so you can basically imagine how it might have been like.

I don't think the second novel is out yet though.

Russ T

Banned
Do those novels have good translations?

I've never done a fan translation of a book before, and I have my doubts as to whether or not the localization would even be good enough...

Do those novels have good translations?

I've never done a fan translation of a book before, and I have my doubts as to whether or not the localization would even be good enough...

Fan translations of light novels are notorious for being machine translated garbage. Though I don't think the Gargantia novels are translated at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom