• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not much of a rabbit hole. There are only two novels and they cover the entire plot outline laid out for the cancelled season. They also include lots of artwork and designs done for the preproduction phase of the anime so you can basically imagine how it might have been like.

I don't think the second novel is out yet though.

No no, what I meant is that if I was to check out the LN for Gargantia, I'd have to go check the LN for every single other show that I'm holding out on for an anime sequel aha.

Gunslinger Girl 10

Welp. That ended poorly.

The contrast between Henrietta/Jose and Elsa/Lauro is all the more poignant for the fact that
one pair is on a happy cruise, and the other is dead.

Gunslinger Girl 10

Welp. That ended poorly.

The contrast between Henrietta/Jose and Elsa/Lauro is all the more poignant for the fact that
one pair is on a happy cruise, and the other is dead.

Yeah that entire arc has a terrible, crushing feeling of inevitability about it as every scene with Lauro emphasises that he has completely divorced himself from the idea that
Elsa or any of the girls are human
. I think this arc and the Ravolo one work very well as a pair with them forming two sides of the same coin,
Ravolo unable to accept they are not human gets killed while trying to expose the system and Lauro, as a man who embraces the system, is destroyed for denying any humanity in the girls

In the end though,
f__k Lauro every goddam scene with this guy I felt like kicking my tv over

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 2 – Intersection of Twin Stars - A Fateful Fight
Cf71XZ5UAAIYzb1.jpg

Pretty enjoyable episode also love the Rokuro moments.

Comedy is good too.

However this does remind that I always though even while buying and reading the manga that this started out a bit slower than I would have liked.

ibyea

Banned
So is today list 1st episode impression day? Okay then, let's see, um:

Great
Concrete Revolutio S2
Kiznaiver

Good
Joker Game

Okay
Flying Witch
Bungo Stray Dogs

Mediocre
Haifuri
Kuma Miko
Ace Attorney

Garbage
Lost Village

Ascheroth

We doing lists?

JoJo-tier
JoJo

Great
Kabaneri
Kagewani S2
Kiznaiver
Macross Delta
My Hero Academia
Re:Zero

Good
Asterisk S2
Bungo Stray Dogs
Joker Game
Kuromukuro
Luluco
Twinstar Exorcists
Ushio to Tora S2

Drop-candidates, depending on how they'll continue
Endride
Mayoiga

Alright, but doesn't add value over the manga so I may or may not continue watching because I'm already watching a lot
Sakamoto

Russ T

Banned
Sakamoto 1

It was amusing but I'm not convinced it should be a full-length episode thing. Seems like the shtick is gonna get old.

Fan translations of light novels are notorious for being machine translated garbage. Though I don't think the Gargantia novels are translated at all.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. Bummer.

Cornbread78

All these lists are missing one key show yet to air. Potential clusterfuck of the season Big Order.

Oh yeah, the two week delay put that one on the back-burner, but it could be horrible or even horrible enough that it hits the "it's so bad, that it's good" status.

phaze

Amagami SS 04
simpsonlaughwaks0.gif

They really nailed the harebrained dating sim game feel to a t. + That hilarious fade to black not even at the sex scene but just the mere kiss. 10/10

The worst part about that ending is now I'm kinda curious at just how stupid the other ones can get.

Looked on MAL at Big Order read the synopsis and thought 'huh they're doing a sort of Haruhi thing, might be interesting' then I clicked on pictures and saw the second image...
Every female character in bondage, young looking female character clinging to the male protagonist, switch from an interesting light blue background to uber edgy all black background, this is very close to 'so bad , it's good' territory and I've only seen two jpegs.

Edit: What the hell Amagami SS? Peeping! The only true measure of love!

Is the 4th image really saying she was 'lonely and scared' because of the lack of peeping going on or was that just fortuitous timing with a speech on 'my emptiness and how only a serving of beige can fill it'?

LOST VILLAGE SPOILERS IN THE LINK

So a friend of mine from college sent me this. Apparently if you line up the posters you get the kill order for the characters lol. Don't have the balls to open, because well, possible spoilers. Don't want to check whether it is real or not. But those if you who don't care, feel free to take a peek.

Click at your own risk, last warning:

CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK, I WARNED YOU

phaze

Edit: What the hell Amagami SS? Peeping! The only true measure of love!

Is the 4th image really saying she was 'lonely and scared' because of the lack of peeping going on or was that just fortuitous timing with a speech on 'my emptiness and how only a serving of beige can fill it'?

The 4th pic is out of context and is less dumb with it. Ever so slightly.

Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon

wnbZDfu.png

If Chrono and Link fused.

Right, time to start wrapping up the DBZ films/OVA with the last film before Battle of Gods, Wrath of the Dragon.

So WotD largely center's around Taipon, the predecessor of OoT Link merged with Chrono and his relationship with Trunks, who to the films credit, isn't nearly as annoying as he was in previous films.

Film exclusive characters usually aren't that great, but Taipon's got some complexity and intrigue in him largely thanks to his backstory and interactions with Trunks. I like him overall and he's one of the high points for the film. He also has Future Trunks' sword which just begs for a very convoluted explanation about that works.

Can't really same the same about the other two characters in WotD. Hirudegarn has a unique design but doesn't have much going for him otherwise. Hoi meanwhile is just a generic "I want to unleash a kaiju like monster onto the universe so I can try to conquer/destroy the universe before it inevitably turns on me" villain.

The best way I could describe the action in this is if Dragon Ball Z met Kaiju films. It's largely the Z fighters trying (and mostly failing) to stop a 50ft monster. It's pretty enjoyable and the great animation only serves to its benefit.

That said the ending is a complete asspull. What the hell changed in the span of 15 minutes that all of a sudden Goku could kill Hirudegarn? There are also some padding issues but nothing too severe in this case.

Overall, Wrath of the Dragon is pretty good, brought down largely by a shitty ending, mostly uninspired villains and some padding issues.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

So a friend of mine from college sent me this. Apparently if you line up the posters you get the kill order for the characters lol. Don't have the balls to open, because well, possible spoilers. Don't want to check whether it is real or not. But those if you who don't care, feel free to take a peek.

Well, let see next episode if it's correct. Because based on this img
only two people survive by the end of this show

Halfway through the Tamako Love Story movie and I must have heard the word "Mochi" or variations of it half a billion times. After the first couple minutes I decided to check out what the heck that even is exactly so it wouldn't be nagging on me. Turns out, Tamako's sister is named after another ingredient frequently used with Mochi, Anko (red bean paste). And the main male character is named Mochizou. Some crazy parents...smh.

Cornbread78

Amagami SS 04

simpsonlaughwaks0.gif

They really nailed the harebrained dating sim game feel to a t. + That hilarious fade to black not even at the sex scene but just the mere kiss. 10/10

The worst part about that ending is now I'm kinda curious at just how stupid the other ones can get.

Amagami SS had some pretty good arcs. I'm going to watch SS+ and SS++ at some point as well.

Clov

Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon

Right, time to start wrapping up the DBZ films/OVA with the last film before Battle of Gods, Wrath of the Dragon.

So WotD largely center's around Taipon, the predecessor of OoT Link merged with Chrono and his relationship with Trunks, who to the films credit, isn't nearly as annoying as he was in previous films.

Film exclusive characters usually aren't that great, but Taipon's got some complexity and intrigue in him largely thanks to his backstory and interactions with Trunks. I like him overall and he's one of the high points for the film. He also has Future Trunks' sword which just begs for a very convoluted explanation about that works.

Can't really same the same about the other two characters in WotD. Hirudegarn has a unique design but doesn't have much going for him otherwise. Hoi meanwhile is just a generic "I want to unleash a kaiju like monster onto the universe so I can try to conquer/destroy the universe before it inevitably turns on me" villain.

The best way I could describe the action in this is if Dragon Ball Z met Kaiju films. It's largely the Z fighters trying (and mostly failing) to stop a 50ft monster. It's pretty enjoyable and the great animation only serves to its benefit.

That said the ending is a complete asspull. What the hell changed in the span of 15 minutes that all of a sudden Goku could kill Hirudegarn? There are also some padding issues but nothing too severe in this case.

Overall, Wrath of the Dragon is pretty good, brought down largely by a shitty ending, mostly uninspired villains and some padding issues.

You're still doing this? I'm impressed that you managed to make it all the way to the newer films! I'm still too scarred from how horrible Return of Cooler was to watch more of these.

Line_HTX

Amagami SS 04

Congrats! You do not have to wait very long for the best fluffy, fuzzy haired best friend Kaoru, ufufufu~

Amagami SS had some pretty good arcs. I'm going to watch SS+ and SS++ at some point as well.

I don't think there was a Plus Plus.

I'd very much say it is if it is right no? Either way I didn't want to ruin the show for myself or anyone else, hence why I marked it

Well if it is right, I'd call that clever hinting from the producers, if anything else. Right now we're just guessing. If we told people that after the show was finished, then I'd say it'd be spoilers, as (from what I understand), nothing really major has happened in the show yet.

It's almost like something that was done with another show, Baccano!. Now, I'll spoiler this since the show's finished if you haven't seen it.

That show did a clever trick with its opening with regards to
one character. Throughout the show, that character is missing in the future segment of the show and the search for him is a big part of that story. What I didn't realize was that the opening was giving away what happened to him this whole time and I didn't know it until the show's last episode, which explained what happened. It was a really well done trick.

Now, had I been told what the opening was saying as the show was airing, I'd call that a theory. If I had been told that long after the show was finished, then I'd call that a spoiler.

Right now we're in theory mode. If I were to say that the bus in the show was possessed by a ghost and is the one that does all the killings, would you call that a spoiler from my word alone?

duckroll

Sorry but I can debunk this, as the bus has already died and it's present on all of the posters!

But if you look closely you'll realize the thematic consistency. In the first poster the bus is healthy and alive, with passengers in it. In the second one the bus is dead and everyone is standing outside. By the third poster, you can see rust and decay from the decomposition of the bus corpse!

Qurupeke

But if you look closely you'll realize the thematic consistency. In the first poster the bus is healthy and alive, with passengers in it. In the second one the bus is dead and everyone is standing outside. By the third poster, you can see rust and decay from the decomposition of the bus corpse!

And in the final one it's alive again.
Zombies confirmed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly the worst thing about Amagami was how they fucked over Rihoko so hard with her arc. It was terrible.

(The worst thing about SS+ was the lack of a teacher arc, despite the fact that they did the stalker arc)

Honestly the worst thing about Amagami was how they fucked over Rihoko so hard with her arc. It was terrible.

(The worst thing about SS+ was the lack of a teacher arc, despite the fact that they did the stalker arc)
Yea that ticked me off a bit since I found her to be the most likeable. Thankfully they fixed that mistake in SS+..

It is the curse of being a childhood friend in effect.

You're still doing this? I'm impressed that you managed to make it all the way to the newer films! I'm still too scarred from how horrible Return of Cooler was to watch more of these.

Haha, indeed I am. I'll be watching the 2008 OVA later today and likely watch the new movies later this week.

I can assuredly tell you that aside from Wrath of the Dragon, Fusion Reborn and to a lesser extent, Bojack Unbound, the films starting with Return of Cooler vary from meh at best (Super Android 13) to godawful (Broly the Second Coming). So your fear of watching the later films are justified. However I will say that Bio-Broly is nowhere near the worst film DBZ has had.

Mailbox

Today's my birthday but I have a final in the afternoon :/

When I get back, I'm gonna binge something... Or fall asleep. Or both depending on what I choose.

Maybe I'll watch Kill me baby... Idk

OH NO, NOT
NRA-CHAN!

She has to make it!

Line_HTX

When I get back, I'm gonna binge something... Or fall asleep. Or both depending on what I choose.

Happy birthday, Mailbox!

Maybe binge watch another comedy? :p

JulianImp

Got halfway through Joker Game #2 before my ISP decided to stop working, and I guess it's been somewhat decent so far. I was expecting the MC to become a scapegoat and a tool to shame the military rather than him being able to think outside the box to spot where the microfilm was supposed to be, but what I found interesting is that it basically worked like a win-win for the spies: either the military guy would have to kill himself while the government would probably have to cover up the spies and let the military branch take the fall, or they'd actually find something worth their time and hog all the credit from the military.

I think such kind of carefully crafted gambits that are guaranteed to turn out as a good outcome for one of the parts and a bad one for the other no matter what are really interesting, but whether the intrigues and power games behind them are appealing enough to keep the show going remains to be seen. Guess I'll watch the rest of the episode later and see how it goes.

RedSwirl

I'm three episodes into LOGH, and man this shit is deep. I'm probably still gonna try to get the Sentai releases whenever they come out because I feel like this is potentially better watched in English. I already got spoiled as to which side wins the war and who even survives, but what's in-between is still nice to see. I decided to watch this series instead of getting the books (when the rest comes out), but the series feels like a direct adaptation of a historical war novel or something, like an Beevor book or something.

And I can totally understand why this was never marketed outside Japan until now (other than the expense that probably went into making it). The OVA was made at a time (the 90's basically) when whatever anime was coming over was either kids' fare or super-exploitative adult action. This looks like 85% House Of Cards and 15% Star Wars. In order for it to take off to its full potential with western audiences I feel like they'd have to get good English releases for the books, then do a live action adaptation or something. Some premium channel would have to pick it up hoping it has a counter to GOT on its hands.

Anyway, the animation quality of the first season isn't all that great, but does it change in the later seasons since those seem to have been made much later?

Line_HTX

Looked on MAL at Big Order read the synopsis and thought 'huh they're doing a sort of Haruhi thing, might be interesting' then I clicked on pictures and saw the second image...
Every female character in bondage, young looking female character clinging to the male protagonist, switch from an interesting light blue background to uber edgy all black background, this is very close to 'so bad , it's good' territory and I've only seen two jpegs.

Hmm... maybe that's why the start date was way later than the others as to not draw attention, heh heh heh... Looks like I found my garbage dumpster.

So what's the general impression on Kabenari?

It's more tolerable than Attack on Titan, even though the sequencing and the setting and the looks are almost exactly like Titan. The MC is not running on full rage, but rather he has rationale and is willing to do something about the problem by developing his own weapon to kill the zombies, and even successfully tested it. The major characters seem to have more competent than their Titan counterparts.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.2
Pu6C3Ds.jpg

Nice episode. It’s complete plot set-up that we already knew was coming, but that battle to showcase the skills between Benio and Rokuro was pretty damn good and complimented both fighters well. I like the direction this one is headed and look forward to watching their adventures together.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm three episodes into LOGH, and man this shit is deep. I'm probably still gonna try to get the Sentai releases whenever they come out because I feel like this is potentially better watched in English. I already got spoiled as to which side wins the war and who even survives, but what's in-between is still nice to see. I decided to watch this series instead of getting the books (when the rest comes out), but the series feels like a direct adaptation of a historical war novel or something, like an Beevor book or something.

And I can totally understand why this was never marketed outside Japan until now (other than the expense that probably went into making it). The OVA was made at a time (the 90's basically) when whatever anime was coming over was either kids' fare or super-exploitative adult action. This looks like 85% House Of Cards and 15% Star Wars. In order for it to take off to its full potential with western audiences I feel like they'd have to get good English releases for the books, then do a live action adaptation or something. Some premium channel would have to pick it up hoping it has a counter to GOT on its hands.

Anyway, the animation quality of the first season isn't all that great, but does it change in the later seasons since those seem to have been made much later?

I think one of the fundamental issues with LOGH is that it feels like it's out of the 60s Star Trek tradition. 2 distinct sides based entirely on 2 distinct contemporary cultures. Facist Nazis and Corrupt Capitalists. (The Rome planet is a one time thing apparently lol)

The nuance comes from the fact that both sides are shit, but one of reasons I haven't gotten back to it (beyond it just being a pain in the ass to find episodes) was just being uninterested in the actual macro conflict between the two powers.

I still find it odd that people hate Tytania though. About 13 or so episodes into LOGH, and it didn't seem all that different.

Insert generic anime happy birthday please don't sue us song here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuA1ikIOqJY

Yea that ticked me off a bit since I found her to be the most likeable. Thankfully they fixed that mistake in SS+..

It is the curse of being a childhood friend in effect.
Yeah, SS+ exists only to unfuck the Rihoko arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom