• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skii

Konosuba ep 3-10

This anime has a lot of potential but it never really hit its stride.

positives

- It's pretty funny. Good amount of jokes and banter between the cast
- There is some pandering but it's palatable and not constantly in your face. Although ep 9 is full ecchi lol.
- The animation quality is good and the voice acting was on point.
- I think my favourite character was Megumin because she seemed pretty unique in what she could offer the team.

Negatives:

- The story really doesn't progress much at all. I guess you can say they have a mansion to live in now but even that part felt rushed. I was under the impression there would be significant progress but I'm guessing they are going to stretch this for as long as it's popular
- There are some inconsistencies with the big fights. Against the Dullahan, I don't really understand how they came to the conclusion that water was his weakness. I don't remember that being a known weakness for headless riders. I was thinking divine magic would've been a better way to finish him off.
- Same goes with the final fight. Just seemed stupid that it was going to explode only for the residual heat to now put the town at risk so their solution was to make an explosion (???).
- Darkness basically has no roll in the final fight. She is beyond useless to the team. I really hope she actually improves in combat otherwise she'll just be a constant disappointment.
- Certain characters fall into their anime tropes a bit too much, especially Aqua. She deviates sometimes but she ends up being the stupid, easily irritated girl that constantly fights with the protagonist

Overall, I liked the anime. It can do so many things better but I'm hoping season 2 can flesh out the characters and story a bit more.

7/10

Gintama 263

There were some nicely detailed close-ups that helped sell the emotionally intense moments. Shinpachi got a rare chance to show off at the end.

I do like the idea of a planet of evil Yoda arms manufacturers.

Bungou Stray Dogs 02

It was pretty obvious where this whole episode was going from the start. But I'll be honest, it wasn't too thrilling. Sure I'll continue watching, but this show has definitely gone a few spots down on my ranking list.

Say "I Love You" 1-3

This series kind of feels like what Kimi ni Todoke would be if it toned down the comedy and light hearted moments and took it's drama completely seriously.

Gintama 264

I might have liked a more extended action sequence for Shinpachi, but that probably wouldn't have been thematically appropriate.

The post-credits gag, with the cast being upset about the "The Final Chapter" movie and yelling at the anime directors, was good.

Sentai announced that they have Flying Witch now. Wonder if there's any others they've picked up this season?

I just want someone, anyone, to get Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu so we can get an English release of the full first episode. (Well, if Sentai gets it and pulls a Gatchaman Crowds again that'd be no good.)

Clov

I just want someone, anyone, to get Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu so we can get an English release of the full first episode. (Well, if Sentai gets it and pulls a Gatchaman Crowds again that'd be no good.)

Yeah, given that situation I'd be a bit worried about Sentai getting it too. I'm still bugging them about Crowds, actually; every time they do a Sentai Asks, I send in a handful of questions asking about the director's cut of the final episode. Still no response, but I'd like them to know that there's some demand for it. I hope I'm not the only one bugging them!

In terms of companies that could pick up Rakugo... I would have said NISA might do it, but they've been inactive outside of Love Live. It could be a title that Discotek grabs a few years from now, like they did with Kyousougiga. Sentai of course could pick it up just because they'll pick up anything. I'm having trouble thinking of any other company that would be willing to pick up a title like Rakugo... let's just hope for the best.

Thought they have Rinne, Sakamoto, Tanaka, and Onigiri?

Well, yes. What I meant was if they have any more after this. I guess I should have been more specific.

I've not checked out this Lost village anime, but based upon the premise and the talk that nobody has died/disappeared after 2 episodes I'm kind of hoping the series is a massive troll and it's just 12 episodes of nothing with them leaving the most pointless trip ever.

Yeah, given that situation I'd be a bit worried about Sentai getting it too. I'm still bugging them about Crowds, actually; every time they do a Sentai Asks, I send in a handful of questions asking about the director's cut of the final episode. Still no response, but I'd like them to know that there's some demand for it. I hope I'm not the only one bugging them!

In terms of companies that could pick up Rakugo... I would have said NISA might do it, but they've been inactive outside of Love Live. It could be a title that Discotek grabs a few years from now, like they did with Kyousougiga. Sentai of course could pick it up just because they'll pick up anything. I'm having trouble thinking of any other company that would be willing to pick up a title like Rakugo... let's just hope for the best.

Yeah, obviously Funi or Viz won't retroactively license this, and since it's distributed by King Records it won't be handled by an American branch of a Japanese publisher. So indeed, hope is all we have.

The first episode of kabenari is awesome. It and kiznaiver will probably be the only shows worth watching this season.

... Sure thing.

Cornbread78

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.13-15
I gotta admit, this show is pretty good. It's still following the three separate ships at the same time and will ultimately have sone drama coming up between a couple of them, but it's got a good tone to it as it follows everyone through good and bad but cute at the same time..

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Excellent Tier

JoJo

Good Tier/Potential Tier

Kiznaiver
Bungo Stray Dogs
Twin Star Exorcists
Ludicolo
Ushio and Tora
Not Attack on Titan

Mixed Tier
Sakamoto
Hero Academia (purely on knowing what's to come)
Netoge
Re: Zero

In danger of dropping Tier
Mayoiga
Concrete Revolutio S2

Dropped
Ace Attorney
Anne Happy
Bullshit Crane Game Nonsense
Tonkatsu DJ
Hundred

Not a terrible season.
I think Joker Game is in the potential/excellent tier, two episodes in.

She is a MASSIVE jojo fan. She broke her tailbone recreating a pose from the series during a concert.

She also got to interview araki

216.jpg

Quasar

Kimikiss Pure Rouge ep.13-15
I gotta admit, this show is pretty good. It's still following the three separate ships at the same time and will ultimately have sone drama coming up between a couple of them, but it's got a good tone to it as it follows everyone through good and bad but cute at the same time..

Yeah.

Cornbread78

Nagi no Asukara ep.15-18
Emotionally, this show is all over the place and these last few episodes personify that by changing from happiness to sadness to hope to despair. Okada at her best I assume, but it's draining. These love angles and now
Manako might be back, but she is losing her ena, but Muira has one now and the sea scale/God is all pissed. It just sets it up so she survives and cam spend her life with her older land senpai..
My head is gonna explode in these final 8 episodes. Despite this, I have to say it for the 50th time now, this show is beautiful. ...

Gungrave 2

It's amazing how different the tone is this episode from the first, now that all the sci-fi and supernatural elements are gone. One thing is the same though: Brandon's still a man of few words. In fact, I think he only said one word the entire episode (grunting doesn't count). I guess he was a silent protagonist in the game this is based on, but it comes off rather awkward in this format. Even in games, I don't like when all the characters are voice acted except the player character; it feels so silly to have all the other characters repeat what the player character supposedly said to them just to keep up the semblance of a conversation.

Anyway, the visual direction and music is quite strong - as it was in the first episode, but this one gives more of a narrative grounding for it to be effective. When the joyous music started playing as the gang headed back to their hideout, we saw the cook turn to great them at the door, and then the music suddenly cut out as he realized that the man at the door was not who he was expecting - that was an excellent moment.

I can't speak from personal experience, but all the impressions I've seen indicate that it's a fairly mediocre and rote shoujo romance.

Hmm, well I'll give it a shot. I've started a few other shoujo series but I still haven't finished them since I can only stomach so much drama from one show at a time lol.

Kind of wish I would be into JoJo, but looking at like now 70+ episodes and counting feels overwhelming lol.

Each part is pretty much stand-alone, despite sharing some characters, so you don't have to watch all the anime if you don't feel like it. At least watch Part 2: Battle Tendency (episodes 9-26 of the first TV season), because that's very entertaining.

Kind of wish I would be into JoJo, but looking at like now 70+ episodes and counting feels overwhelming lol.

It isn't really. The manga is split into parts, and each part is it's own separate thing.

The first series is 26 episodes, which covers Parts 1 and 2.

Stardust Crusaders is 48 episodes, which covers Part 3.

It might seem daunting at first, but it's not exactly a difficult series to plow through if you've got spare time.

Dubrarara! 13-24 END
Welp, now I can add another monster to the "villains I absolutely despise" list.

Current List:
1. That freaking insane military dad dude in Assassination Classroom
Harada the gangster. I just hate these gangster delinquent types. I suppose that's the whole point of the character and their depiction, but it just pisses me off so bad. In almost every version of this character when I see it in an anime I just get angry. There's also usually absolutely no redeeming qualities to these archetypes.

I can't be mad at Izaya. He's got Lelouch's voice actor in the dub. You can't hate him.

If I have any complaints about this amazing anime, it's that the music often is jarring and just simply doesn't fit the scenes. Seriously, it's just bad. Except the OPs. They're great.

Also, there are times when it just gets really long winded. I suppose that's just a lot to do with the author's style, and if anything it's a lot like Nisio Isin.

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is a top-tier anime, though. I dunno if I should watch x2, though. Anyone else watched it and can tell me?

Rewatching a couple episodes of Grimgar and it really astounds me how well the weight of each character is animated. The contrast between Haruhiro's light dagger strikes and his critical hits, Ranta's attempts at killing blows, and Mogzo's lumbering sword arcs (not to mention his quick ability strike) give the battles within the show a much more tangible presence. Building the foundations of combat around the weight of the characters involved is one of the best ways to make fights exciting, realistic, and explosive - something done well in the Fate series (with each class being defined by weight in both speed and body style) and, as a particular example from a show that was otherwise very okay, in the fight between the Minotaur and Bell Cranel in that one anime about Hestia's breasts where every attack leaves Bell knocked back, dodging, or trembling from the force of the Minotaurs blows. It wasn't really something I paid much attention to, but most of the series where I felt that the fights were unsatisfying probably had the root of the problem in the weight of each character.

I can't stop singing praises about Grimgar, despite the lengthy segments of non-story happening in the series. Probably the biggest turnaround I've had for a series since I started watching.

zulux21

for those interested in older shows.
Ann from pied piper will look into Akage no Anne, but she already confirmed the rights to future boy conan are unobtainable.

Is there any info on when Kabaneri episode 2 is coming out? I'm watching through Amazon (I think they've got exclusive rights) and it's been over a week since episode 1 at this point. I assumed that it was simulcast, but I guess there's some random processing time causing the delay?

Rewatching a couple episodes of Grimgar and it really astounds me how well the weight of each character is animated. The contrast between Haruhiro's light dagger strikes and his critical hits, Ranta's attempts at killing blows, and Mogzo's lumbering sword arcs (not to mention his quick ability strike) give the battles within the show a much more tangible presence. Building the foundations of combat around the weight of the characters involved is one of the best ways to make fights exciting, realistic, and explosive - something done well in the Fate series (with each class being defined by weight in both speed and body style) and, as a particular example from a show that was otherwise very okay, in the fight between the Minotaur and Bell Cranel in that one anime about Hestia's breasts where every attack leaves Bell knocked back, dodging, or trembling from the force of the Minotaurs blows. It wasn't really something I paid much attention to, but most of the series where I felt that the fights were unsatisfying probably had the root of the problem in the weight of each character.

I can't stop singing praises about Grimgar, despite the lengthy segments of non-story happening in the series. Probably the biggest turnaround I've had for a series since I started watching.

I think that was my favorite show last season. I was actually a big fan of the non-story quiet montage, I felt like the show had a lot of room to breath, and it allowed the show to have a much heavier focus on characters trying to survive and be happy than any of the traditional aspects of the stuck-in-an-MMO trope.

Just finished watching ajin and oh boy was it awful. I expected some jank because of polygon pictures but then the Story, characters, most everything went nowhere until the final two episodes.

Like his rejected best friend shows up and bails his ass out and then after a couple episodes he gets ditched and you never hear from him again. what the fuck he saved that assholes life!

Squishy3

Just finished watching ajin and oh boy was it awful. I expected some jank because of polygon pictures but then the Story, characters, most everything went nowhere until the final two episodes.

Like his rejected best friend shows up and bails his ass out and then after a couple episodes he gets ditched and you never hear from him again. what the fuck he saved that assholes life!
at least it had wakamoto being wakamoto

now look up chapter 19 (this was episode 11) and proceed to heavily sweat at what they changed

The manga is a lot better, but the friend is still super underutilized. It's really weird because it seemed like he was set up to be a big character (and he might still end up being one with the manga still going).

Doesn't make the Ajin battles any less beautifully ridiculous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom