• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aikatsu 115

Episodes where you meet the parents are the best. Oozora's dad for best anime dead.

Aikatsu 117

Cf_DjTNWsAEoNHe.jpg

Trust Oozora for your weather forecast needs.

I can probably get through the manga faster, so maybe I will look through that, least partly.

If you want, but the anime really does elevate it. As rough as part 1 is, it's still damn enjoyable in animated form even if it doesn't compare to later parts. For me, manga part 1 is a 5/10 while anime part 1 is like a 7.5/10.

Just take your time and the episode count won't be that bad. It's like playing a medium length JRPG.

phaze

Dubrarara! 13-24 END

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is a top-tier anime, though. I dunno if I should watch x2, though. Anyone else watched it and can tell me?

I watched and liked the first 24 episodes (Though the the last arc already rubbed me the wrong way) but the new cour was so extremely subpar, with degraded production values, bloating the cast even further with more superficial characters and making a bit of a rehash of the yellow scarf gang arc that I didn't find it in me to continue.
at least it had wakamoto being wakamoto
It does ? As who ?
The manga is a lot better, but the friend is still super underutilized. It's really weird because it seemed like he was set up to be a big character (and he might still end up being one with the manga still going).

I've read somewhere that there was a change of writer at some point and presumably the direction of the story shifted because of this.

pbayne

Is Blue Spring Ride any good? The premise sounds interesting but I don't think I've seen it brought up anywhere before.

It's good but just a heads up there is a very infuriating "go read the manga" ending.

Say "I Love You" 1-3

This series kind of feels like what Kimi ni Todoke would be if it toned down the comedy and light hearted moments and took it's drama completely seriously.

Lol that's the exact same way i described it. Push on with it, it is a great show.

Sölf

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR is a top-tier anime, though. I dunno if I should watch x2, though. Anyone else watched it and can tell me?

Imo it's just more of the same. If you liked what you saw in DRRR S1, give S2 a chance. As said, it's basically more of the same, more characters, more absurd stories, more madness.

Cornbread78

Is Blue Spring Ride any good? The premise sounds interesting but I don't think I've seen it brought up anywhere before.

It's pretty good, but nothing really good sticks out about it other than I remember the MC being a mini-tsundere douche most of the show. There is much better out there.

No. I don't think so, I like the show overall. Even if it ends where almost all romance anime do.

Ugghh. No true conclusion then.. I love ambiguous endings.....

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The manga is a lot better, but the friend is still super underutilized. It's really weird because it seemed like he was set up to be a big character (and he might still end up being one with the manga still going).

Doesn't make the Ajin battles any less beautifully ridiculous though.

Well, the manga change author after vol.1, so no surprise there's a change in story.

Mailbox

Its fine but I really didn't like the main male character (thought he was too much of a dick) and the love triangle that gets introduced later is literally pointless.

If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

brawly

Say "I Love You" 1-3

This series kind of feels like what Kimi ni Todoke would be if it toned down the comedy and light hearted moments and took it's drama completely seriously.

I'm really really picky when it comes to romance anime and this is by far my fave.

I think that was my favorite show last season. I was actually a big fan of the non-story quiet montage, I felt like the show had a lot of room to breath, and it allowed the show to have a much heavier focus on characters trying to survive and be happy than any of the traditional aspects of the stuck-in-an-MMO trope.

I actually think that most people here that went until the end within have a similar opinion to you two. I personally loved Grimgar, it was the example of a show that started off a bit weak but got better as time went on. I'm too used to the opposite happening (ERASED I'm looking at you)

Cornbread78

Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki
qPQ5FYg.gif

pOuRCiQ.gif

kaijlqv.gif

tuS5UFq.gif

I’m really bad at writing good reviews, since I write by simple emotion too freely and I’m not objective enough, so I’ll keep this really brief:

I can’t even describe the emotions I feel right now after those final 15 mins or so and had to take some deep breaths here. It was such a great piece of writing and so well animated to make you feel the emotions from characters and their how everything touches their lives. The movie takes you from heartwarming moments to dark moments of despair to sadness to laughing to crying with happiness. Then, there is this final emotion, which I just cannot quite put my finger on, but it feels more of a paternal response to the children’s growth in the show and how the mother responds to it all.

It starts off as a love story (beastiality, blah, blah, blah; definitely not your simple kind of HS love story) as the main pair get together in college and grows into something much deeper as they follow Hana’s life raising a family and the personal struggles that go along with it. As the story goes, it changes focus from Hana (the mom) to how the kids are growing and what paths they want to take in life. A lot of self-discovery as the kids grow up in a new environment and are given the opportunity to follow the path in life they choose. The true character development from the mom and both kids was refreshing to see and they really took time to follow them all through their journeys. The closing moments I referred to earlier really push that to the forefront as the decisions were made and how they choose to live their lives and how the mom reacts. It is all beautiful and purely about love and self-discovery from all sides of the family. I can’t say enough good things about this movie through the feel good moments and the painful moments. Even at the times when the movie may feel boring, there are still things going on that are central to the plot of the movie..

Now, I just wanted to take a separate moment to appreciate just how beautiful the show is artistically. There are so many shots of the landscape and the world that are simply breathtaking…

G1ry5vM.gif

ejeWYlZ.gif

AfZye2G.gif

EDIT:
1 more thing about the ending:
Did anyone else notice how he aged Yuki and Souhei in their final scene? They both just wished they were adults, basically so they could grow up together, and Hosada drew them older for that one scene, when she revealed here secret; It was beautiful.

phaze

Huh, after loving The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I was about to go for WF as my second Hosoda movie very soon, glad to hear once more it doesn't disappoint.

Qurupeke

So this is where sonicmj1's avatar is from, I suppose.

I need to check this movie. I haven't watched a lot of Hosoda's movies, and it actually seems I haven't watched the best ones yet, but I love how they look.

Line_HTX

Who is that Pokemon trainer that does the Ohoho laugh with her Pokemon? I haven't kept up with it in forever since middle school, lol

Cornbread78

noooooot quite the right word i think lol
great movie. i should rewatch it sometime

I say it more in jest, but because of the gif people get the wrong impression. It was actually very well written through that initial part, pure fantasy, but.. It was classy and well done.

iuAWXWo.jpg
2KH7Nhd.jpg

G0olc0S.gif

So this is where sonicmj1's avatar is from, I suppose.

I need to check this movie. I haven't watched a lot of Hosoda's movies, and it actually seems I haven't watched the best ones yet, but I love how they look.

Yeah. It's really REALLY worth the 2 hour watch..

Wanderer5

Due to earthquake, Kabaneri episode 2 delayed.
Fully understand the reason, but still sad to see that.
https://twitter.com/anime_kabaneri/status/720641909438308356

Magnitude 6.4 in southern Japan I see. Yikes, hope for the best for those there. And I guessing this might affect other shows in the next couple of days?

On a side note, lol sheesh.

CgARw9JVIAAFPPA.jpg:orig

Delayed for some hours or for days? Also, does this affect the english Amazon broadcast too?

Sounds like it not airing this week period, including Amazon, which might or might not include the english broadcast, but I guess we shall see.

Line_HTX

Magnitude 6.4 in southern Japan I see. Yikes, hope for the best for those there. And I guessing this might affect other shows in the next couple of days?

On a side note, lol sheesh.

CgARw9JVIAAFPPA.jpg:orig

Shin Megami Tensei coming to real life, lol.

I hope not. I think Kuromukuro is still broadcasting today. I have not seen any other anime Twitter accounts announcing postponements.

Clov

My BD of Lupin III: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone arrived today! I'll be watching it with my fiance tomorrow, so I'll be sure to give a quick write-up about how the disk is then. Since it's a Discotek release, I'm expecting great things.

phaze

He plays Sato.

latest

It's probably the most ridiculous character he's played in awhile that I can recall.

Both MAL and ANN have him being voiced by Houchu Ohtsuka. Whose characteristic voice is clearly there though it took me a while to recognise it.

In work right now but the thumbnail for Ann Happy ep 2 suggests that show is going places I wasn't expecting from ep 1
evil Totoro looking places to be exact

Twin Star Exorcist 2

Okay I'm in, this series is a lot of fun action was very enjoyable and I like the dynamic of the two leads. Will probably pick up the manga as well since the anime seems like it'll drive off the rails into filler territory by the end.

Squishy3

Both MAL and ANN have him being voiced by Houchu Ohtsuka. Whose characteristic voice is clearly there though it took me a while to recognise it.
Huh, guess I just mistook him for Wakamoto. Sure sounded like him in the clip I caught.

Edit: yeah i must have been sleepy or something he sounded like wakamoto when i first heard him. :lol

I think the weakest opening I've seen is Endride's opening.

You want to see a nothing opening, go watch that. Boy is there a lot of nothing in that opening.

...I'm still really disappointed in the Jojo opening though.

It's not even bad. It's just okay.

I'm not. It's not even really bad, to be honest.

That's just not the kind of voice I expected.

To be fair, I haven't really watched much HunterxHunter.

So I have no idea how some voices are supposed to sound.

JulianImp

A couple more show impressions:

Twin Star Exorcists #2
So the council of the elders all knew about the legend of the chosen miko who'd save the world from the monsters, but not that it required two strong onmyouji to have a child together? Seriously? My issue isn't as much with the whole twist but the fact that it looks like there was a deep-rooted lore that the leader onmyouji just trampled on because he received some convenient vision.

Then there's the issue of the two main chracters being forced to fight against one another, and their fight basically hinging on both of them getting ridiculous power-ups from getting angry, and things being tied up by the head onmyouji going "oh, sorry for badmouthing your friends who had died in some horrible incident you witnessed, but I just wanted to see you fighting with your full power". Something even crazier is that the two kids were supposed to be the strongest onmyouji in existence, and yet the head priest effortlessly dispelled their enchantments, meaning that he's probably even stronger than both of them combined and yet nobody cares about him, praising the two kids for being the ultimate onmyouji and the one sliver of hope to put an end to conflict once and for all.

Dropped.

Anne-Happy #2
Watchable but still meh. Characters are still being overly constrained by their characterization tropes, which results in the same old gags happening in the exact same way every single time, so I might end up dropping it somewhat soon. The one thing I found funny is that the robot rabbit kind of reminded me of monokuma, but of course this isn't going to end up being a dark and edgy show... and it'd be an apalling plot twist even if things did end up like that, anyway.

The action bits were mostly just from the first episode, and nothing about it brought the hype more then the actual fight in the show.

I haven't watched the show proper so I can't say if they reused footage from the episode proper (though that's not what I've heard from anyone else who has watched it), and I don't know about "bringing the hype", but the OP is stylish, effectively edited, and well animated. It's the second best OP of currently airing shows behind Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song.

duckroll

Anime really isn't that important. If you have to watch something, go check out your backlog. If you don't have one, start building one. I guarantee it'll be of a higher quality than whatever you planned on watching instead.

Line_HTX

Anime really isn't that important. If you have to watch something, go check out your backlog. If you don't have one, start building one. I guarantee it'll be of a higher quality than whatever you planned on watching instead.

I got Kikaider queued up. I like watching both Jiros do things for justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom