• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Qurupeke

Mayoiga END

With this show finished, I'm reminded of what someone (Branduil?) said about Blood-C: The Last Dark. Blood-C was all about promising a "normal" supernatural action-show atmosphere before subverting it with horror. So how do you surprise people again? You create the promise of a horror atmosphere, and then deliver absolutely nothing.

Well played, Mizushima. I have been shown who is the boss.

Truly ingenious. The fact that nobody died is what makes me believe in that. However, I'm not sure if it was intentional from the very start or if they just lost interest in it. There are instances of stupidity very early, but at the end they went all out.

I wanted this show to be that show that anyone can look at and agree was all right. Obviously there'd be people who wouldn't like it and will voice their opinions on it and move on, but overall would still be enjoyed here.
Nevet let others opinions hinder your enjoyment!

In the end we also all know that MHA is AOTS and anyone thinking otherwise has bad taste. Trust me from what I can see I have the best taste of animegaf.

Cornbread78

Huh? I saw praise everywhere.

I actually enjoyed My Hero Academia. Didn't know anything about it going in and I don't really watch many shows if this ilk, so it scratched an itch. I know some people didn't like the pacing, but they seemed too focused on the number of episodes and how much story the show needed to cover. Since I don't know the story I simply took it as it came. There are no parts I want them to rush to like a lot of the detractors seem to.

Same for me. I'm often glad I have no manga/LN under my belt, so when I watch these shows, I'm not constantly trying to reference/compare the two mediums.

blurr

if anything, I feel bad about the people unable to appreciate MHA

given the choice I'd rather have a good time than a bad time even at the cost of making myself seem like what you folk call a "moustache"

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Huh? I saw praise everywhere.

I actually enjoyed My Hero Academia. Didn't know anything about it going in and I don't really watch many shows if this ilk, so it scratched an itch. I know some people didn't like the pacing, but they seemed too focused on the number of episodes and how much story the show needed to cover. Since I don't know the story I simply took it as it came. There are no parts I want them to rush to like a lot of the detractors seem to.
I would say that a focus on the episode count for MHA simply tries to call to light how futile shounen character growth is if a studio isn't willing to commit to really following through. What is the end goal that MHA establishes? Deku wants to be a hero. What picture does the MHA anime capture? Deku goes to hero school for like three days. The disparity between the long term goal and what we witness as an audience is absurd even by shounen standards.

Beyond that, I really did have pacing issues with the show on an episode by episode basis. Episode eight in particular really showed just how bad the series could be about regurgitating the same information over and over again. Not only does it have a "last time on" recap, but immediately after you get the broader retelling of the fight by the students and you're seven minutes in on an episode that's the follow up to a wimpy and pointless training fight that took two episodes to tell. I don't know the story or what it needs to cover, but what is being told doesn't cut it.

MHA is beyond pedestrian. It's the worst elements of straightforward hero superpowers combined with one of the most plodding and dull school settings imaginable. Sometimes slow is the right pace, but there's nothing of substance to the characters, no embellishment, cohesion, or appeal to the world, or any kind of complex hierarchy or rule set to explain. Stacked against other recent Shonen Jump adaptations or other similar works with an action focus MHA just fares extremely poorly.
if anything, I feel bad about the people unable to appreciate MHA

given the choice I'd rather have a good time than a bad time even at the cost of making myself seem like what you folk call a "moustache"
I mean...you might as well say you feel bad for people who are unable to appreciate the latest flavor of Mountain Dew. Like their life is somehow incomplete because they cannot derive the purest form of pleasure from the latest market driven puerile treat.

Qurupeke

Seems like the full version of the Luluco ED song is out today/tomorrow. Trigger shows are killing it with their songs (too) this season.

a9RWf3j.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I would agree there's an overuse of flashbacks and recaps for, what can be considered, a not very complex story. But like I said, I don't really watch many shows of this type so it's just scratching an itch. It's not my top show of the season, but compared to drivel like Big Order and Lost Village and the disappointment that was Kagewani, MHA comes out favourable and was something I did look forward to watching on a weekly basis rather than putting it off.

No, top show is the scathing and thought provoking social commentary that in Pan de Peace.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why even have a bar for quality if you're going to set it on the ground?

Jintor

i'm sensitive to the pacing issues and very especially the uninspired background art/general visual direction but to call mha beyond pedestrian is definitely not something i can agree with. for me it's a show where I watch to see how the crazy moments get animated. It's certainly not a firing on all cylinders show, but it's enough for me.

Quasar

No, top show is the scathing and thought provoking social commentary that in Pan de Peace.

Being on a no-bread diet that show is torture. Don't know why I put myself through it. Of course foodwars is not much better in that respect. Stupid diets.

jgminto

I don't think I've watched any MHA since episode 3 or 4. It didn't seem to differentiate itself from average shounen series outside of the superhero theme. Watching a vanilla format shounen series these days just isn't appealing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why even have a bar for quality if you're going to set it on the ground?

If that's aimed at me, I don't think I've ever claimed to have a bar for quality. I have an awful habit of picking up bad shows but feeling the need to watch them to the end.

I even gave Heroes Reborn a chance. I should have known better. ;____;

Being on a no-bread diet that show is torture. Don't know why I put myself through it. Of course foodwars is not much better in that respect. Stupid diets.
You'd hate where I work. Someone managed to get a deal with a local bakery for free bread from the previous days leftover stock. The temptation of all that bread would be too much.

Holy crap is Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky taking over my life. I didn't think it would be this addicting and enjoyable.

The game made me stop my binging of Rakugo especially when I was enjoying it so much.

bread makes you fat
Fact: I eat enough bread for 2-3 people in a day and I am not fat.

Just like how bread doesn't make EVERYONE fat, shows that dont appeal to everyone like MHA may be great for others. I don't care for the show, but seeing someone drop what they were otherwise enjoying just because some people are being vocal about their dislike for it is silly.

Ninty, go watch MHA again.

blurr

I would say that a focus on the episode count for MHA simply tries to call to light how futile shounen character growth is if a studio isn't willing to commit to really following through. What is the end goal that MHA establishes? Deku wants to be a hero. What picture does the MHA anime capture? Deku goes to hero school for like three days. The disparity between the long term goal and what we witness as an audience is absurd even by shounen standards.

Fair point although it hasn't bothered me as much.

Beyond that, I really did have pacing issues with the show on an episode by episode basis. Episode eight in particular really showed just how bad the series could be about regurgitating the same information over and over again. Not only does it have a "last time on" recap, but immediately after you get the broader retelling of the fight by the students and you're seven minutes in on an episode that's the follow up to a wimpy and pointless training fight that took two episodes to tell. I don't know the story or what it needs to cover, but what is being told doesn't cut it.

MHA is beyond pedestrian. It's the worst elements of straightforward hero superpowers combined with one of the most plodding and dull school settings imaginable. Sometimes slow is the right pace, but there's nothing of substance to the characters, no embellishment, cohesion, or appeal to the world, or any kind of complex hierarchy or rule set to explain. Stacked against other recent Shonen Jump adaptations or other similar works with an action focus MHA just fares extremely poorly.

Personally felt that those moments of recaps in between the episodes were important(sans the recaps), I reiterate, it is a show on personal struggle in the guise of a shounen action, that repeat in exposition is necessary to remind them that "something said at one point" has relevance in "a situation like this" for the themes it is taking on. The pace also contributes to that aspect. This is a bit subjective so again, I understand if it is bothersome.

I mean...you might as well say you feel bad for people who are unable to appreciate the latest flavor of Mountain Dew. Like their life is somehow incomplete because they cannot derive the purest form of pleasure from the latest market driven puerile treat.

LOL don't think MHA is comparable to that but I get where you're coming from, I should've phrased that sentence better. I meant to say that if you spent 20 minutes watching it, you ought to have had a good time but you didn't for whatever reason so I feel bad you didn't feel the same way. Don't worry, it's just a feeling.

Sölf

As for Mayoiga, I really liked that show. It was fun to watch, even if it only became dumber and dumber. But it was still fun. But holy fuck, that ending was a total slap in the face. That was probably the worst ending I have seen so far.

Ascheroth

Holy crap is Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky taking over my life. I didn't think it would be this addicting and enjoyable.

The game made me stop my binging of Rakugo especially when I was enjoying it so much.

It's an amazing game from start to finish.
I'm finally getting Second Chapter during the summer sale. I've heard it's even longer then the first one and that already took my ~60 hours..

I havebt played the second game yet precisely because of that. The first game was massive and took me so goddamn long to beat. I did love the story at the time, even though I barely remember it now. I envy those who can play both games back to back.

It's an amazing game from start to finish.
I'm finally getting Second Chapter during the summer sale. I've heard it's even longer then the first one and that already took my ~60 hours..

Plus there's still Cold Steel to play as well as the sequel. The sequel to second chapter is coming out next year too.

Fuck so many RPGs and that's just a few. I'm waiting for SMT Apocalypse to come out.

Jintor

honestly i wish mha would actually get more into the academia aspect of it, but that's really not what the show/manga is about, despite the title...

Alright, you guys convinced me.I'm gonna watch MHA eat some bread. After all I bought some yesterday and I haven't eaten a lot yet. I can also ponder some truly important questions like "what does it really mean to be a hero bread?"

Alright, you guys convinced me.I'm gonna watch MHA eat some bread. After all I bought some yesterday and I haven't eaten a lot yet. I can also ponder some truly important questions like "what does it really mean to be a hero bread?"

Ask Cornbread. If post count is any indication he's the hero AnimeGAF needs.

Cornbread78

LOL. I just picked up Trails of Cold Steel on my Vita during the E3 sale and started it right away despite my massive backlog; yup, I'm hooked, Anime be damned for awhile here as well.

Fact: I eat enough bread for 2-3 people in a day and I am not fat.
Just like how bread doesn't make EVERYONE fat, shows that dont appeal to everyone like MHA may be great for others. I don't care for the show, but seeing someone drop what they were otherwise enjoying just because some people are being vocal about their dislike for it is silly.

Damn kids with high metabolism..... You can't keep it up forever, just remember that, lol.

MHA does nothing special, the pacing is often annoying as well, but somehow, I find it pretty damn enjoyable and I've never really been into the whole super hero thing; new experiences and all that...

Sölf;207886094 said:
As for Mayoiga, I really liked that show. It was fun to watch, even if it only became dumber and dumber. But it was still fun. But holy fuck, that ending was a total slap in the face. That was probably the worst ending I have seen so far.

I'm still bitter. I wanted that dark thriller/drama that I thought we were going to get. I mean, this final piece of key art they released right before the show aired has a very dark and chilly feel to it:

UpNT8nW.jpg

But, in the end, only the anime was dark in colors, but in tone..... blah, blah blah, dammit Okada...

blurr

I realize how silly I sounded in that sentence, I did hesitate as I typed it. I only meant that for MHA and not for everything.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But seriously Pan de Peace is the most stereotypical CGDCT SOL show I've seen. But because it's so on the nose it's rather comedic. It helps that each episode is so short because if it was full length it would be dire beyond belief since every episode literally just covers a typical plot point from a CGDCT show e.g. this is the episode where the two girls who didn't previously like each other now do. It's a show that shouldn't work but it does. That or I've lost my marbles completely.

jgminto

I'm still bitter. I wanted that dark thriller/drama that I thought we were going to get. I mean, this final piece of key art they released right before the show aired has a very dark and chilly feel to it:

UpNT8nW.jpg

But, in the end, only the anime was dark in colors, but in tone..... blah, blah blah, dammit Okada...
It wa obvious from the first episode that it wasn't that kind of show. I've never seen a thriller that started with the entire cast in a bus stating their online handles and a speed dating style personality summary anyway.

Eumi

See, I just don't like what I've read of MHA. Uninspired superhero setting, pretty dull powers, no real end goal set up at the beginning, it all just made me not want to bother with it. I've talked before about how I wouldn't be surprised if it gets much better after a while, but when I think of other Shonen stuff there was always some kind of goal or obstacle in the way.

Like, JoJo is my favourite Shonen by a long way, and it takes the time at the beginning to just set up Dio as a cunt that needs to be dealt with.

On the other hand, I recently watched the first arc of Hunter X Hunter and that at least took the time to do the exam as a full and proper story.

MHA hiwever just had the vague 'I want to be a hero' thing, with the problem of he has no superpowers being solved by like chapter 2(?). Without some kind of goal in mind I'd normally fall back on world building or characters, but in MHA both of these things are solid but horribly generic.

There are a bunch of standout things in it though. All Might is great and basically the only good thing to come out of the whole Superhero theme. The art style is also just really solid, and pretty much every character looks appealing. But it still just feels like the whole thing just doesn't do enough.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Objectively speaking My Hero Academia has been one of better quality programs as it doesn't suffer from glaring stupidity like Kanbari or botched execution like Ushio and Tora to name some examples. That being said, I actively dislike this series bordering on flat out hatred. Some of that is the hype job, some of it is the series playing too close with the stock shonen tropes especially given this is a one cour season. I would say the biggest reason is I just hate Deku with a fiery passion along with a mild dislike of Bakugo and thee was a distressing void of a supporting cast and antagonists that didn't really get filled until this arc and not shockingly the show has improved dramatically.

I'm starting to feel you put too much emphasis over the opinions of others. If you really can't deal with negativity I'd suggest making an OT for the anime itself and sticking to discussing that show in there. More often than not the OT is much more positive than this thread.

nintendo, dude, you gotta disconnect your own personal enjoyment of things from the opinions of others. if the world hated what i loved i would take their view into account and maybe it would force me to take a more critical eye over the work, but ultimately I am my own person and my tastes are my own and fuck everyone else into the sun.

seriously, listen to this guy here

don't get worked up about cartoons themselves, value the experiences they give

Nevet let others opinions hinder your enjoyment!

In the end we also all know that MHA is AOTS and anyone thinking otherwise has bad taste. Trust me from what I can see I have the best taste of animegaf.

See, I get what you guys are saying, but for me it's hard to actually feel good about enjoying a show in this thread that's mostly associated with negativity.

I feel this sense of guilt when I watch it and this feeling like I outright shouldn't be enjoying it. I know this is silly, but this is seriously how I feel when a show I like ends up becoming this maypole of negative controversy in here.

I was going to respond to this post with facts from the manga and how the series evolves from this, but what's the point? I'm only going to be labeled as a MHA defender who can't take criticism. Why bother enjoying a show and talking about why I think it's good here if that's what I'm going to get from it?

It's like that time when I posted my opinion on RWBY. I made a long post about why I liked the show and wasn't defensive, mean-spirited, or hateful in any way. And you know what happened?

I got called a "RWBY stan", and someone here got angry that I took the time and effort to write a long post about the show in the first place. If this kind of behaviour is acceptable then why should I even bother?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If you do not wish to watch MHA there is no reason to watch MHA again, you don't need to force yourself to like it for the sake of the group either.

See, I get what you guys are saying, but for me it's hard to actually feel good about enjoying a show in this thread that's mostly associated with negativity.

I feel this sense of guilt when I watch it and this feeling like I outright shouldn't be enjoying it. I know this is silly, but this is seriously how I feel when a show I like ends up becoming this maypole of negative controversy in here.

I was going to respond to this post with facts from the manga and how the series evolves from this, but what's the point? I'm only going to be labeled as a MHA defender who can't take criticism. Why bother enjoying a show and talking about why I think it's good here if that's what I'm going to get from it?

It's like that time when I posted my opinion on RWBY. I made a long post about why I liked the show and wasn't defensive, mean-spirited, or hateful in any way. And you know what happened?

I got called a "RWBY stan", and someone here got angry that I took the time and effort to write a long post about the show in the first place. If this kind of behaviour is acceptable then why should I even bother?

Honestly, it sounds like you should quit reading this thread, if it causes such negative emotion in you.

Jintor

if it helps i mainly just throw people who dissent from my opinion into a personalised mindprison where i don't have to consider their opinions unless i feel like it

shard for example will never escape probably. lol. except when he's right

John Blade

Ahh...the famous Gantz sex scene I heard. Great way to start and end this episode with sex scene for the audience to watch. A very naughty director thinking.

Well, we got to see what have happen to the survivor of the last battle and how they handle it. Also, see MC Kai isn't doing too well after the fight which let the female Kai to leave the home. Guess that chance when he got call by the old lady for the next battle as he have some sort of purpose when you see his expression. Like it's the only thing keeping him alive for now.

Another game starting and we got to see more new people in the game. Also, got to see one of the character from the previous episode, Sei, in this game now. Kinda surprise no info of how all the new characters die as the previous season, they did show a bit of how each characters got kill before coming into the room. Guess, they want to speed up the tone. Same thing here again, more new people, Masaru try to inform them of what they're in and what they're suppose to do, etc. Nothing special to see really. Kinda feel most of the new characters will be death anyhow so, no point to put too much development on them.

For Sei and MC Kai, they have some connection between them, mostly Sei who have something toward him. The sex scene kinda make sense when you consider what MC Kai want to do before he got kill. Guess he is now lucky to bang someone. Kinda suck female Kai found out at the end and will see where the character development between MC Kai and female Kai as this just throw a big ranch now into it.

Overall, okay episode but want to see next of what will the next fight going to be.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ninty, please just enjoy what you like to enjoy and don't let the opinions of others get you down. I mean, like me, you're a Nintendo fan, so I'm sure you've already had experience of being made to feel you've made the wrong choice in the games you play (which is of course nonsense since Nintendo clearly make the best games. Fact.), but at the end of the day, it's what you enjoy and whatever they think should have no impact on that.

Obviously I'm not perfect. I've berated quite a few shows which others enjoys *cough* Sword Art Online *cough*, but that's just the way a catchall thread for a whole medium is going to be, opinions on both sides. Heck, I just defended Pan de Peace, a show that would give 90% of GAF an aneurysm from the OP alone. The reason I do it is simply because in the back of my mind I know I'm better than them.

Just own it and flaunt it.

Sölf

I mean, people in here don't appreciate Ninja Slayer, which is obviously one of the best shows from last year. I know they are just wrong.

You really shouldn't let other peoples opinion sway your enjoyment of a show. Otherwise you would be disliking lots of things.

I remember people being negative over Kekkai Sensen saying it was boring and too episodic, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of it. Heck even when people labled Mahouka as trash which I won't argue. It was still enjoyable nonetheless.

Recently the anime Erased was considered garbage/trash because the later half of the anime wasn't on par with the first half. Which I don't agree and won't let opinions lessen my enjoyment.

You just got to realize this thread can be a bit negative but you shouldn't really take things to heart man.

Jintor

it's fun to talk about stuff with other people but at the end of the day your experience is your experience and you can pick and choose which bits of other people's opinions you let influence the way you take in any given piece of work.

John Blade

Don't let other people control of what you like to watch. If you like a certain anime but quite a people don't like it, it's not that you have a terrible taste just some people don't like those show. Go watch the show you want to watch without caring what other people say about it.

Just think of other people opinion just as a grant of salt of what they think. You don't have to accept it and try to defense the show. Not everyone is going to like certain show which is the reality.

JulianImp

Well when the censorship opposition basically conflates itself with or is overtaken by gg or associated elements, it's really easy to just react against that style of argument

I find two things funny regarding all this: First, that Nintendo has gone back to their old ways of sanitizing game content for releases outside of Japan after not having done so for a while, but also that people are so vocal against it and keep blowing things out of proportion by calling most localization changes 'censoring'. I did get FE:F on my JP 3DS because it had a 50% off sale on its DLC campaigns, and I've got to tell you the NA version isn't missing out all that much with the head rubbing and lack of greek-style swimsuits, but won't be getting Japanese #FE because I don't know enough Japanese to keep up with a more complex RPG, and don't have a JP WiiU anyway.

The posts detailing the changes are certainly weird, but I believe the paparazzi changes could still work by changing the script from "she's doesn't like swimsuit photos" to a more generic "overcoming camera-shyness" scenario, as that wouldn't result in any large changes to the plot or the overall theme of the girl gaining the self-confidence she needs to be an idol. Not that I approve Nintendo going out of their way to enforce these changes or the less-than-happy precedent they set, but raising pitchorks and torches because overly pandering stuff such as hot springs DLC or striperrific summons are taken out is also a bit of an exaggeration IMO.

I'm not all that amused by how much of a knee-jerk reaction that stems from this "let's cover up our overly objectified women because female rights" campaign if it's just a half-assed effort to make them seem less objectified, since Tsubasa and the other girl are shown "charming" their opponents by doing embarassing poses while showing some cleavage even in the US version. It's kind of sad that we're going from exploiting female characters as much as we can to covering them up without actually addressing the issue of females still being objectified as hell in all kinds of media. Hopefully we'll find a middle ground between excessive puritanism and overt exploitation sometime soon...

Kyuur

And in the spirit of disliking something that a bunch of people are enjoying!

Re: Zero 12

Been mulling over this one for a bit since I watched it on Sunday. This episode was the absolute worst of the series so far and encapsulated everything I strive not to subject myself to each season. Rem has morphed into a blubbering idiot and we're introduced to 3 more women for the MC to try and wile with his charms. Catboy is completely unneeded when we already have similar character archetypes in Beatrice and Puck. The return of characters like Felt and Reinhard feels hamfisted after introducing so many other new people to learn about as well.

The only real interesting part was the discussion between Subaru and the carriage dude. Hopefully my fears will be put to rest next episode but the setup sure isn't looking good. I'd rather the show keep each story arc short and contained like the last two with the only our hero and heroine returning.

Top Bottom