• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Ascheroth

See, I get what you guys are saying, but for me it's hard to actually feel good about enjoying a show in this thread that's mostly associated with negativity.

I feel this sense of guilt when I watch it and this feeling like I outright shouldn't be enjoying it. I know this is silly, but this is seriously how I feel when a show I like ends up becoming this maypole of negative controversy in here.

I was going to respond to this post with facts from the manga and how the series evolves from this, but what's the point? I'm only going to be labeled as a MHA defender who can't take criticism. Why bother enjoying a show and talking about why I think it's good here if that's what I'm going to get from it?

It's like that time when I posted my opinion on RWBY. I made a long post about why I liked the show and wasn't defensive, mean-spirited, or hateful in any way. And you know what happened?

I got called a "RWBY stan", and someone here got angry that I took the time and effort to write a long post about the show in the first place. If this kind of behaviour is acceptable then why should I even bother?

At the end of the day, just enjoy what you enjoy and don't let other peoples opinion sway yours, it's just not worth it for something that is done for fun.

Not everyone enjoys the same things.
I bet there's also stuff you don't like that others enjo.

And I probably also do this, lol:
if it helps i mainly just throw people who dissent from my opinion into a personalised mindprison where i don't have to consider their opinions unless i feel like it

shard for example will never escape probably. lol. except when he's right
--
And in the spirit of disliking something that a bunch of people are enjoying!

Re: Zero 12

Funny how most of the negatives you list are my positives.
The new characters seem fun and I'm always for characters actually recurring beyond 'their arc'.

Kyuur

Funny how most of the negatives you list are my positives.
The new characters seem fun and I'm always for characters actually recurring beyond 'their arc'.

Oh don't get me wrong, I usually eat that shit up and explode with hype over returning characters and intertwining plots.

It just doesn't feel right for Re:Zero; I don't see how the 'format' will be enjoyable. Showrunners might prove me wrong though, we'll see!

Cornbread78

it's fun to talk about stuff with other people but at the end of the day your experience is your experience and you can pick and choose which bits of other people's opinions you let influence the way you take in any given piece of work.

This.

See, I get what you guys are saying, but for me it's hard to actually feel good about enjoying a show in this thread that's mostly associated with negativity.

Dude, everyone here $hits all over most of the stuff I really like, including yourself. Have you not witnessed and participated in the SAO and Key hate here? It's nothing new; its just how it is. However, I don't take it personally at all, because well, this is the internet and everyone has balls of steel behind lots of wires and a monitor. That and well, we all have different, thoughts, feelings, ideals and reactions to what we see and watch. We can each see the exact same episode, but come out with 100 different reactions, which is half the fun of these boards....

Regardless of that, as we discussed previously, there is literally, not a single show that will get universal praise here and everyone will find a reason to $hit all over something because well, "your favorite anime is $hit." That's not going to change suddenly... Just enjoy what you like and have fun with it. Share those reactions and talk about it. If you can no longer enjoy the medium personally, then take a break and move on to something else for awhile.

Regardless of what you do, do not let other's personally enjoyment to deter you from something you are enjoying. I mean, there is a total of three of us in this community watching Cerberus this season, and it is probably one of the most entertaining and fun to watch shows out there. The production is horrible, the art is horrible, but it's a good adventure anime that is fun to watch. Most other dropped it after 1 episode because you can tell from a mile away, they invested no money into it at all.

Anime is entertainment, just have fun with it man.

Honestly, it sounds like you should quit reading this thread, if it causes such negative emotion in you.

Sometimes, I feel like I really should. I just can't bring myself to actually do it because I have so many fond memories of this place from 2013-2014. Back then was when this community was at its best for me, and I want the thread to go back to those days.

Obviously, that can't and won't happen. Hitokage's dead (RIP :(), Cajun's perma'd, Corvo now spends 80% of his time in FFXIV, and more than half the regulars I knew from then have simply moved on and barely post here anymore. They're all on Twitter now.

Maybe it's time I moved on as well and just stick with Anitwitter, but part of me still holds on to hope that this thread will become as great as it was again one day, so I don't want to leave the thread just yet.

Somebody still has to preach the good of the Super Robot in here, haha.

Ninty, please just enjoy what you like to enjoy and don't let the opinions of others get you down. I mean, like me, you're a Nintendo fan, so I'm sure you've already had experience of being made to feel you've made the wrong choice in the games you play (which is of course nonsense since Nintendo clearly make the best games. Fact.), but at the end of the day, it's what you enjoy and whatever they think should have no impact on that.

Obviously I'm not perfect. I've berated quite a few shows which others enjoys *cough* Sword Art Online *cough*, but that's just the way a catchall thread for a whole medium is going to be, opinions on both sides. Heck, I just defended Pan de Peace, a show that would give 90% of GAF an aneurysm from the OP alone. The reason I do it is simply because in the back of my mind I know I'm better than them.

Just own it and flaunt it.

You really shouldn't let other peoples opinion sway your enjoyment of a show. Otherwise you would be disliking lots of things.

I remember people being negative over Kekkai Sensen saying it was boring and too episodic, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of it. Heck even when people labled Mahouka as trash which I won't argue. It was still enjoyable nonetheless.

Recently the anime Erased was considered garbage/trash because the later half of the anime wasn't on par with the first half. Which I don't agree and won't let opinions lessen my enjoyment.

You just got to realize this thread can be a bit negative but you shouldn't really take things to heart man.

it's fun to talk about stuff with other people but at the end of the day your experience is your experience and you can pick and choose which bits of other people's opinions you let influence the way you take in any given piece of work.

Don't let other people control of what you like to watch. If you like a certain anime but quite a people don't like it, it's not that you have a terrible taste just some people don't like those show. Go watch the show you want to watch without caring what other people say about it.

Just think of other people opinion just as a grant of salt of what they think. You don't have to accept it and try to defense the show. Not everyone is going to like certain show which is the reality.

At the end of the day, just enjoy what you enjoy and don't let other peoples opinion sway yours, it's just not worth it for something that is done for fun.

Not everyone enjoys the same things.
I bet there's also stuff you don't like that others enjoy.

This.
*snip*

Thanks. Perhaps I am just getting too emotional over this stuff and I should just enjoy what I like. It's just that I've just felt this way about what I've watched for a long time in this thread and the more negativity I see about it the the more worse overall I feel.

I just long for the days when that negativity was so much easier to overlook for me due to how fast the thread moved at the time.

TUSR

Banned
Just watch a show and enjoy it. Don't look to others to confirm your satisfaction.

Shows will be critiqued, dog piled on, etc but that shouldn't hamper something you genuinely enjoy.

Cornbread78

Ask Cornbread. If post count is any indication he's the hero AnimeGAF needs.

No, not at all. I should honestly post much less than I do and I was trending heavily that way until this past thread. Previously, I had been down to # 3-5 for a few OT's, lol.... it's boosting from last year and this past season. Metroid and Hosann had been taking the reigns for the past few months...

Actually, below is the top 75 from the past year:
(Sorry, I was working on a spreadsheet in the office and got side tracked for a moment, thus, the below was born)

(Spring 2015 OT1- Spring 2016 OT2<min of 100 post in at least 1 month required>)

1. Cornbread78 6258
  2. MetroidPrimeRib 5022
  3. Admiral Woofington 3832
  4. Dedication Through Light 3494
  5. hosannainexcelsis 3440
  6. Narag 3209
  7. names2hard4you 3127
  8. cajunator 2681 permed
  9. TUSR 2431
  10. Jarmel 2326
  11. nintendoman58 2269
  12. AquaWateria 2142
  13. Line_HTX 2091
  14. Hellwarden 1901
  15. duckroll 1876
  16. phaze 1822
  17. Puruzi 1707
  18. Basileus777 1689
  19. Shard 1636
  20. firehawk12 1606
  21. NaDannMaGoGo 1602
  22. javac 1511
  23. Qurupeke 1493
  24. ibyea 1426
  25. SliceSabre 1289
  26. KenjiGlove 1275
  27. MikeHattsu 1273
  28. Jintor 1257
  29. Quasar 1246
  30. BGBW 1234
  31. pbayne 1162
  32. Ascheroth 1159
  33. blurr 1025
  34. wonzo 1013
  35. Russ T 1004
  36. Phatmac 1002
  37. Mailbox 935
  38. R_thanatos 913 won't come back in here
  39. JulianImp 879
  40. Theonik 847
  41. Haly 837
  42. Thoraxes 785
  43. CheapJuice 782
  44. kewlmyc 775
  45. Maximilian Kolbe 774
  46. Sölf 748
  47. PdotMichael 734
  48. effingvic 721
  49. Arcadius 708 permed
  50. ShinRPGamer 678
  51. striferser 654
  52. Jexhius 650
  53. Defuser 647
  54. John Blade 639
  55. Clov 632
  56. Angry Grimace 627
  57. Joe Molotov 606
  58. dimb 597
  59. phoenix296 581
  60. veloxStrix 576
  61. Squishy3 569
  62. Mature 556
  63. e_i 538
  64. Mandelbo 537
  65. Midonin 528
  66. ThatChairMan 527
  67. cosmicblizzard 499 permed??
  68. jbug617 495
  69. Sterok 491
  70. NCR Redslayer 477
  71. sonicmj1 471
  72. Envelope 457
  73. Moaradin 445
  74. jgminto 426
  75. KuwabaraTheMan 420

blurr

I feel this sense of guilt when I watch it and this feeling like I outright shouldn't be enjoying it. I know this is silly, but this is seriously how I feel when a show I like ends up becoming this maypole of negative controversy in here.

I think you should take a moment and introspect about what exactly is bothering you, figure out why. Ask yourself if it's really worth something to be bothered about. Talk to someone you look up to if you are not sure about it.

Quasar

But seriously Pan de Peace is the most stereotypical CGDCT SOL show I've seen. But because it's so on the nose it's rather comedic. It helps that each episode is so short because if it was full length it would be dire beyond belief since every episode literally just covers a typical plot point from a CGDCT show e.g. this is the episode where the two girls who didn't previously like each other now do. It's a show that shouldn't work but it does. That or I've lost my marbles completely.

Whats a cgdct?

Quasar

Just watch a show and enjoy it. Don't look to others to confirm your satisfaction.

Shows will be critiqued, dog piled on, etc but that shouldn't hamper something you genuinely enjoy.

Though excessive negativity can get people down. Me...I have enough of an ego that I know everyone else is wrong.

All this list shows me is I watch too much anime and need to play more games.

Now excuse me while I pre-order Star Ocean, download Grand Kingdom and look up more stuff about Neptunia Megadimension VII.

Andrew J.

I mean...you might as well say you feel bad for people who are unable to appreciate the latest flavor of Mountain Dew. Like their life is somehow incomplete because they cannot derive the purest form of pleasure from the latest market driven puerile treat.

*nudges a case of Baja Blast under the bed*

Cornbread78

Now excuse me while I pre-order Star Ocean, download Grand Kingdom and look up more stuff about Neptunia Megadimension VII.

Good call! My fellow day-1 brotha!

Hurry up on that decision for Neptunia, it's only on sale for a couple more hours...

Quasar

Play games? Where does one find time for that in between watching anime, discussing anime, and discussing games news. Which I guess is why twitch is so popular. Saves me the time of playing games.

javac

I understand what you're saying; it can suck the enjoyment out of things if you feel as if you're the only one enjoying something because watching shows can very much be a social activity. This is a community thread after all and so if you feel as if you're surrounded be negativity it can bum you out because it's fun to be excited about something and share that excitement with others. It's the reason most of us post in this very thread, to talk about the things that we enjoy with like-minded people, and although fun can be derived from discussions both positive and negative (because it'd be boring if everyone shared the same tastes and agreed with everything after all), when you get a "it’s me against the world" mentality it can become less fun and even taxing and exhausting, which is why you shouldn’t take that stance, life’s too short after all.

The truth is, there's communities out there as well as people in this thread and on this forum that love MHA and other shows that you feel that you’re the only one that likes, even if the consensus is less than positive in this thread it's clear that you're not the only one who enjoys it. It'd be nice if everyone liked the same things in theory but the reality is it'd be pretty boring. There's definitely shows that become the darlings of the season or shows of the year, shows that everybody rallies around and loves, so maybe if you hoped MHA was going to be that show then you might be disappointed but not every show has to be that and you shouldn’t feel bad for liking something others don't. Heaven knows a majority of the people in this thread don’t give a crap about what I watch, I rarely get to have a prolonged discussion because all the shows and films that I watch are decades old so in that sense I don’t even feel a part of a community, but that’s fine because I enjoy what I watch and that’s what matters in the end. It’s nice to discuss and converse, but you shouldn’t let that dictate your enjoyment. At the same time, that doesn’t mean you should necessarily discard all criticism either, sometimes it’s nice to see others perspectives too.

Being a community, people get attached to this place and so when it feels as if it's changing, new faces and ever changing consensuses I guess you can feel left behind, and I think when you feel that way you should be the voice that you want to hear more than ever, speak more loudly about the things you enjoy, there's bound to be others that share your opinion. These threads also get thousands of views, hundreds of thousands even so there's bound to be lurkers that enjoy your enthusiasm.

So this is prosperity.
I'm having a moment where I'm willing to spend money, I don't expect it to last long. Normally I'm a tightwad.

Good call! My fellow day-1 brotha!

Hurry up on that decision for Neptunia, it's only on sale for a couple more hours...
Already got it!

Play games? Where does one find time for that in between watching anime, discussing anime, and discussing games news. Which I guess is why twitch is so popular. Saves me the time of playing games.
This kills the Sabre.

I usually only watch LP's of games I intend to get anyway. Never as a means to experience games I'd like but haven't gotten around to playing.

How am I still on that list? Must be all my posts before I started watching Aikatsu.
Holy crap is Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky taking over my life. I didn't think it would be this addicting and enjoyable.

The game made me stop my binging of Rakugo especially when I was enjoying it so much.

I just finished it. Need SC ASAP.

Jex

You know, the interestingly diverse critical reaction to MHA almost makes me want to watch it.

Then I realised that there's no point wasting my time on a bad show, or even a good show, just to have an opinion on a current hip anime. That's rarely a good reason to play the latest game or watch the latest movie.

Cornbread78

Already got it!
This kills the Sabre.

I passed on it for now because the difficulty spikes in ReBirth 1 kinda stalled my progress. I hate having to backtrack for a couple hors at a time just to get strong enough to fight a boss.. (funny, I used to love that stuff) but limited game time and all that... I did by Dragon Age Inqusition (PS4) for $5.99 though. I guess I'll stash it until about 2018 when the onslaught of jrpgs slows down...

Quasar

This kills the Sabre.

I usually only watch LP's of games I intend to get anyway. Never as a means to experience games I'd like but haven't gotten around to playing.

Well I was joking with that bit, though others clearly do it. I still dont get the value of watching them. About the only things I might watch are quicklooks or walkthroughs if I'm totally stuck on something. I really don't get any inherent enjoyment out of watching others play videgames. Clearly I'm in the minority though.

Ascheroth

In the time I watch a stream of someone playing a game I could just play the game myself so this always seems like a waste of time to me.

javac

You know, the interestingly diverse critical reaction to MHA almost makes me want to watch it.

Then I realised that there's no point wasting my time on a bad show, or even a good show, just to have an opinion on a current hip anime. That's rarely a good reason to play the latest game or watch the latest movie.

You say that as if we're not a social species that functions on the interactions of others :p The thoughts and opinions of others factor into the things that we do on a daily basis, consciously or otherwise. People want to belong after all.

Andrew J.

Huh. Maintaining my cultural literacy is why I make like 50% of my media choices.

No, not at all. I should honestly post much less than I do and I was trending heavily that way until this past thread. Previously, I had been down to # 3-5 for a few OT's, lol.... it's boosting from last year and this past season. Metroid and Hosann had been taking the reigns for the past few months...

Actually, below is the top 75 from the past year:
(Sorry, I was working on a spreadsheet in the office and got side tracked for a moment, thus, the below was born)

(Spring 2015 OT1- Spring 2016 OT2<min of 100 post in at least 1 month required>)

LIST

I am number 7 on this list. I am Portuguese. Know who else is number 7 and Portuguese?

cristiano-ronaldo_416x416.jpg

My secret identity has been found.

I think most of my posts came from the epic Spring 2015 thread with the SNAFU discussions.

John Blade

1. Cornbread78 6258
  2. MetroidPrimeRib 5022
  3. Admiral Woofington 3832
  4. Dedication Through Light 3494
  5. hosannainexcelsis 3440
  6. Narag 3209
  7. names2hard4you 3127
  8. cajunator 2681 permed
  9. TUSR 2431
  10. Jarmel 2326
  11. nintendoman58 2269
  12. AquaWateria 2142
  13. Line_HTX 2091
  14. Hellwarden 1901
  15. duckroll 1876
  16. phaze 1822
  17. Puruzi 1707
  18. Basileus777 1689
  19. Shard 1636
  20. firehawk12 1606
  21. NaDannMaGoGo 1602
  22. javac 1511
  23. Qurupeke 1493
  24. ibyea 1426
  25. SliceSabre 1289
  26. KenjiGlove 1275
  27. MikeHattsu 1273
  28. Jintor 1257
  29. Quasar 1246
  30. BGBW 1234
  31. pbayne 1162
  32. Ascheroth 1159
  33. blurr 1025
  34. wonzo 1013
  35. Russ T 1004
  36. Phatmac 1002
  37. Mailbox 935
  38. R_thanatos 913 won't come back in here
  39. JulianImp 879
  40. Theonik 847
  41. Haly 837
  42. Thoraxes 785
  43. CheapJuice 782
  44. kewlmyc 775
  45. Maximilian Kolbe 774
  46. Sölf 748
  47. PdotMichael 734
  48. effingvic 721
  49. Arcadius 708 permed
  50. ShinRPGamer 678
  51. striferser 654
  52. Jexhius 650
  53. Defuser 647
  54. John Blade 639
  55. Clov 632
  56. Angry Grimace 627
  57. Joe Molotov 606
  58. dimb 597
  59. phoenix296 581
  60. veloxStrix 576
  61. Squishy3 569
  62. Mature 556
  63. e_i 538
  64. Mandelbo 537
  65. Midonin 528
  66. ThatChairMan 527
  67. cosmicblizzard 499 permed??
  68. jbug617 495
  69. Sterok 491
  70. NCR Redslayer 477
  71. sonicmj1 471
  72. Envelope 457
  73. Moaradin 445
  74. jgminto 426
  75. KuwabaraTheMan 420

Wow...didn't know I post that many. I have no life.......*hug a teddy*

Quasar

Huh. Maintaining my cultural literacy is why I make like 50% of my media choices.

I think mine comes from osmosis. Read enough crap about media I'd never consume and I can bluff my way through. Well not music....thats completely lost on me, especially when I ignore complete genres of music.

Aki-at

I am number 7 on this list. I am Portuguese. Know who else is number 7 and Portuguese?

cristiano-ronaldo_416x416.jpg

My secret identity has been found.

I think most of my posts came from the epic Spring 2015 thread with the SNAFU discussions.

Stop watching so much anime and score a damn goal already!

Sölf

Apparently, some wizards out there are multitasking. Like, watching an anime and playing a game at the time. No idea how that works as I can't do stuff like that, but maybe that's the secret.

Stop watching so much anime and score a damn goal already!

I like to make my foolish audience suffer, taking a few pages from Okada's writing. I like to make them think I'm great. And I am.

But greatness comes at a price. A price that my country can't pay. Why do you think I play in a Spanish team?

JulianImp

Thanks. Perhaps I am just getting too emotional over this stuff and I should just enjoy what I like. It's just that I've just felt this way about what I've watched for a long time in this thread and the more negativity I see about it the the more worse overall I feel.

I just long for the days when that negativity was so much easier to overlook for me due to how fast the thread moved at the time.

Yeah, I've got to agree that liking an unpopular genre or show is rough when most of the community insists on telling you it's shit, but that shouldn't dissuade you. I'm kind of lucky that most of my posts tend to get ignored at worst, but I know we tend to be somewhat mean when it comes to shows we don't like (like all the SAO teasing cornbread gets). Don't take it personally if you have an unpopular opinion, because you're bound to get called out on it by someone eventually merely because this is a public forum.

I've found it that my requests for recommendations are the only kind of post I make that gets any replies for the most part, but that's the issue with tackling older shows that other people either haven't watched at all or have finished a long time ago.

Qurupeke

Sometimes, I feel like I really should. I just can't bring myself to actually do it because I have so many fond memories of this place from 2013-2014. Back then was when this community was at its best for me, and I want the thread to go back to those days.

A personal, rhetorical question about this. Did I join and become a regular here, while it's on the decline, or it's in decline because of me? :p

Russ T

Banned
Man I caught up on MHA last night. Such a great adaptation of a great series. Still the second best currently running shonen action series, and the anime just delivers so well on the premise. Glad they aren't doing the original ending stuff, 'cause it means there's a chance of more! I hope. Maybe the final episode will tease a new season in classic anime style. Probably not, but hey, I can hope.

AnimeGAF is always on the decline. Long time members leave (or are forced to leave) and new blood replaces them. Such is the cycle.

Ascheroth

Man I caught up on MHA last night. Such a great adaptation of a great series. Still the second best currently running shonen action series, and the anime just delivers so well on the premise. Glad they aren't doing the original ending stuff, 'cause it means there's a chance of more! I hope. Maybe the final episode will tease a new season in classic anime style. Probably not, but hey, I can hope.

The latest episode delivered on all fronts. PLUS ULTRA!
I'm still convinced there's no way it's not getting another season, the question is only when not if.
It's one of Jumps biggest new series.

blurr

I was planning on picking up the manga after it finishes airing but I'm gonna wait for the season 2 announcement if it's that likely to happen.

Sölf

I was planning on picking up the manga after it finishes airing but I'm gonna wait for the season 2 announcement if it's that likely to happen.

Yeah, dito. I waited for Soma S2 even though I have a few volumes here. But if no announcement for MHA comes I will definitly switch to the manga. These weekly cliffhangers are totally killing me inside.

JulianImp

AnimeGAF is always on the decline. Long time members leave (or are forced to leave) and new blood replaces them. Such is the cycle.

That reminded me that the first Let's Watch ever was Humanity has Declined, which makes it kind of funny in retrospect.

My only issue with show OTs is that even if they're extremely popular, having six days of downtime between episodes results in the topics getting lots of filler posts, and less popular once often end up rotting for a whole week before getting <5 posts after a new episode airs and fading back into obscurity (like poor old Gakkou-gurashi). Community helps keep the downtime down without too much filler because there's always a show that has aired on any given day.

phaze

Which shows this season are getting a second cour?

To add to what Basileus posted, Bungou Stray Dogs continues on too.

Vampire Hunter D

Surprisingly enjoyable flick, especially in its second half, where a number of curveballs elevated it into a bit more than it had been hitherto. The epilogue ... well stuff like that, where severe passing of the time makes its mark always gets to me and this was no exception. After hating Ninja Scroll, this redeems Kawajiri to an extent in my eyes.

Top Bottom