• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

phaze

Kiznaiver

I have no idea what happened in the end or what Sonozaki's big deal was.

It felt weird that the plot was resolved by Sonozaki just declaring the plot is over. Like, she was able to just fix it the whole time? She basically just said "I resolve the plot now and everything will go better than expected."

14558227866212oknb.jpg

Kiznaiver 12 END
- Why would scores of people follow Sonozaki's ret ... dumb plan ?
- How would sharing the wounds with thousands more people help the vegetable people when it was precisely that that turned them into what they are ?
- What exactly was she trying to accomplish at the bridge ?

I thought nothing could top previous episode's "You can now feel bad for other people, wow our experiment was such a success" but Sonozaki's reasoning, especially given what it moved her to do, probably takes the cake. There might be just one thing that (how apt) Triggers me more than TnJs that suddenly resolve someone's hmmmm years long resolve or prattling about friendship in anime so having both be combined into an overly long sequence climactic sequence, coupled with a forced attempt to give some of the rest of cast a degree of relevancy was pretty unbearable. It's also a shame that the OST seems to have shot its bolt before this episode and all we were treated to this time were reprises of tracks that were already used for the pivotal moments of earlier episodes.

It pains me really to be so negative about this finale, Kiznaiver is a show I have enjoyed from the very beginning and while throughout, there were elements that threatened the whole, they were mostly kept under the lid till this episode but alas, here we are. To not let this post be negative as fuck, this episode, while rote, stupid, rushed still retained most of its strenghts that weren't related to writing and even in that, it managed to give decent conclusion and send off to its characters. It's still sports some glorious character designs, it's still easily my favorite anime of the season and maybe still, my AOTY, bah visuals+direction wise, this is indeed probably my favorite anime since Kyousougiga (how fitting that they both have
so similar endings
) but it's a shame it wasn't ably to say anything interesting or just simply avoid descending into pure idiocy.

phaze

Tanaka-kun Is Always Listless 12 END

Didn't really expect an adaptation of a comedy manga to manage to find such an appropriate material for the last episode. The superior "friendship is good" finale of the season.

A pretty decent comedy. Not completely bereft of some downtrodden tropes or character stereotypes but better than most in that regard. Some really nice jokes, great comedic timing at uhhh times. Also, Miyano faces and voice was top tier.

Sölf

I liked that MHA ending. And since I can't wait for S2, I will now switch over to the manga. This will be good.

Also, Prison School is one of the best things that had happend in the last years. I am now 10 episodes in and it's absolutely great. I am not sure if I will also read the manga of that one later on, but I really hope this gets a second season.

Both of them will probably change drastically. Not revert to their childhood personalities, but they'll change. We won't see it though.

I know. They should not have concentrated so much on those two, rather on the entire group.

Initial episodes were bashed? didn't know that, I really liked the first three episodes.

I didn't know that. Really it was around episode 3/4 that this show gained so many fans.

Just T

Flying Witch: 12

Wonderful finale. Those fishes were unexpected but it was a cool scene, surprised she didn't wake up Chinatsu for that one. And those sounds from Akane always makes me laugh. This was my other relaxing anime for the season beside Tanaka-kun. Very different shows but based on that aspect alone I think I would put Flying Witch over it. Anyway though, Episode 11 with the whale made me realize it would have been great to have more scenes like that where they leave the usual setting for a little while and explore some, just to have it a little more varied. With that being said I don't think what we got was bad at all, still had a lot of great magical characters and things introduced.

Overall, this was a great comfy anime to watch this season with a relaxing atmosphere. The characters were great, very charming and it had some nice visual treats in there. Going to miss this one.

Cornbread78

Chidori was basically the "nice guy" of anime females. Be nice to the MC and feel entitled to a relationship with the MC because of it.

Lol, truth.. Yoi gotta feel bad for how hirrible she was treated until the end, but I feel worse for Tenga who
did get his girl, but as a fallback guy..
He deserved better.

Cornbread, have you ever watched Infinite Ryvius? I was wondering if you could look in on that as a title for the "Let's watch Anime OT".
It's Lord of the Flies in space. That's pretty much the best way to describe it.
I haven't watched it in awhile and I'm trying to think if it had anything explicit. Anyone remember if it does or not? I'm thinking it doesn't have anything too mature for a book chosen to be read in High School, but I'm not sure.

Does it stream on any legit sites?

Kiznaiver helped continue to push the old logic of:
Forgotten childhood friend > regular childhood friend

Lol, there is a distint difference from the "childhood friend" trope.

Sölf;208377402 said:
Also, Prison School is one of the best things that had happend in the last years. I am now 10 episodes in and it's absolutely great. I am not sure if I will also read the manga of that one later on, but I really hope this gets a second season.

Yeah, Prison School was super raunchy, but a shitton of fun at the same time.

Aki-at

Sölf;208377402 said:

Make sure you check out the OVA next!

Jintor

My Hero Academia 13 -END-

pretty good denoument aside from the usual environmental art complaint. i really like the little additions, like the shots of the students talking amongst themselves following the incident, the pro heroes getting a little more time in the sun cleaning up the riffraff, etc.

it's not a fantastic adaption but neither is it the worst. Hopefully next season they can address some of the stuff that's plagued this season (though I don't really expect it to...). Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

go beyond! plus ultra

Ascheroth

I knew it was confirmed, but a PV too? I hope this means it will come soon.

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Please please please let the anime do this arc justice.

Though I'll be waiting for all the "OW THE EDGE" comments on him regardless.

I'll be happy as long as
- they stop abusing flashbacks instead of inserting original content if they want to end at specific points (because everything that was anime original was really good, so they are clearly capable)
- step up their background art game, because it was really weak
- step up their character art game in key moments like the villain arrival

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Konosuba Episode 11 OVA

OMG lol

He took a full breath of Wiz's
muff

I never thought of it, but I guess an undead girl's lap would be like a cool pillow.

Megumin almost touched the
D

That speech he gave at the end LMAO.

I can't believe they
let him die

SPACE PATROL LULUCO 1-13 Finished

You know, this is one of those shows, much like Konosuba, that makes me question my sense of humor. The humor seems to be a grandslam for other people. For me, I'm getting sensible chuckles here and there, and not much else. The referential humor is alright, but it doesn't carry a comedy. Hell, if this was a 15 minute special I would have probably dropped it 4-5 episodes in. I feel like having an actual romance take off in the finale diluted the purpose of the moral and general theme of the show as well.

Once Tonkatsu dj airs i doubt my rankings will change so here it is

1. Tonkatsu DJ
2. Silicon Valley
3. Game of Thrones
4. Tanaka is always listless
5. Voltron
6. Sakamoto (which still has one more episode)
7-20. All your shitty favorite Anime.

Overall a solid season of Anime, but the west had the advantage once more.

My Hero Academia 13

Strong ending to my favorite show this season, this adaptation was basically everything I hoped it would be. Yeah you can nitpick the over use of flash backs and sometimes weak background art but I was often too engrossed to notice those things in the moment. Can't wait for season 2

Once Tonkatsu dj airs i doubt my rankings will change so here it is

1. Tonkatsu DJ
2. Silicon Valley
3. Game of Thrones
4. Tanaka is always listless
5. Voltron
6. Sakamoto (which still has one more episode)
7-20. All your shitty favorite Anime.

Overall a solid season of Anime, but the west had the advantage once more.

With how much praise that GoT episode
Battle of the Two Bastards
got and how the wait for the next book drags out ever more, I'm considering diving back in. Though the show got so terribad that I instantly stopped after seeing the introduction of the sand vipers.

Either way,

my ranking is probably

1. Tonkatsu DJ
2. Flying Witch
3. Tanaka-kun
4. JoJo

---

Depths of despair: Kabaneri

With how much praise that GoT episode
Battle of the Two Bastards
got and how the wait for the next book drags out ever more, I'm considering diving back in. Though the show got so terribad that I instantly stopped after seeing the introduction of the sand vipers.

Either way,

my ranking is probably

1. Tonkatsu DJ
2. Flying Witch
3. Tanaka-kun
4. JoJo

---

Depths of despair: Kabaneri
Game of Thrones is more fun than well written these days. It hasn't had amazing lines of bad pussy or 20 good men like the last season though.

Qurupeke

I still need to catch up on Flying Witch and probably I'll give Tonkatsu DJ and Sakamoto a second chance. Maybe I'll try Tanaka kun too, as the show seems relatively well received here.

In any case, my stand-outs this season is Kiznaiver and Luluco. I think Kiznaiver is the strongest show this season, despite its flaws and the weak ending, but Luluco is my favourite, as dumb as it may be. Concrete Revolutio S2 and Re: Zero were also pretty good and entertaining, though I need to see more of the later. Jojo has been a bit disappointing, other than 4-5 episodes I liked, but it generally has a strong production so I'm definitely curious how they'll handle the better chapters, as I'm not really a fan of the earlier stuff. It's mostly my fault for starting the manga a few episodes in the show though, so I kind of lost interest in the series.

And there are the shows that disappointed me. MHA, Mayoiga, Kabaneri and Kuma Miko. I don't really consider MHA bad, but I mostly watched it because I enjoyed the manga and I wanted to see certain moments animated. Unfortunately, it didn't deliver in a lot of them, and there's the atrocious pacing. And there are some other shows like Ace Attorney that I forgot they aired this season...

Moaradin

91 Days looks interesting but then again I thought the same about Joker Game and that ended up being the most forgettable show this season for me.

phaze

MHA 13
I'm at least glad that it was acknowledged what a disgustingly silly name "League of Villains" is.

It does feel a bit unfair to me to compare a beginning of an adaptation of a long running shounen battle manga to most other shows airing in this cour. These things always take a long while to get going and I'm pretty sure that were I subject myself to Bleach or OP again, I'd probably find MHA superior but that'd be really damning it with faint praise considering my opinion of the two. And at the end of the day, MHA airs with and competes for one's time against the crop of current shows and well, it doesn't fare very well. It has a massive issues with pacing, not only in the sense of recaps, padding, constant internal monologues but also in the sense of not much of note happening within these 13 episodes. This is a lenght that a lot of shows manage to end within but we've gotten little more than a bunch of random villains attacking All Might only underlining what we've already known after the first 25 minutes of the show, that All Might is on the decline and probably won't be able to carry on for very long.

Of the characters I want to say, given the dislike he seems to be received with, I kinda like Deku. Yes he cries a bit too much, his internal "smart shounen protagonist" monologues are dreadfully long but most importantly compared to his compatriots from the other Jump titles, he at least doesn't need to be instantly locked up within the confines of psychiatric asylum with the likes of Naruto, Gon, Luffy. His motivations are easy to understand and he acts like more or less like a human being. If nothing else, that's refreshing. The rest of the characters struck me as either bland, cliche, insufferable (though Bakugou had some surprising moments at the end of his arc) or ones that within these 12 episodes, I just didn't really learn much about .. Ice guy seems like up my alley and the kind of Mary Sue character I always gravitate towards but then again, I hardly know him.

OST was decent, obviously the high point being those hype tracks. The visuals were ... weak. One great 2 minute animation sequence doesn't excuse the mediocre rest and weak ass backgrounds, storyboarding/direction . I apparently can't into into the latter at all but fuck it, when watching Bungou, which is a similarly trite battle show material, it really struck me how superior it was to MHA in that regards. Loads of memorable shots/close ups every episode. Igarashi da gawd.

tldr: Capeshit remains capeshit.

Ascheroth

Since the stuff I actually care about has either finished or is still continuing into next season, here's my haul.

1. Kiznaiver
2. Re:Zero
3. Luluco
4. JoJo
5. Kuromukuro

Good
Ushio to Tora
My Hero Academia
Twin Star Exorcists
Macross Delta

Dropped:
Joker Game
Big Order
Mayoiga
Endride
Bungo Stray Dogs

Might finish it but I don't particularly care:
Sakamoto
Kabaneri

Anime was a mistake:
Kagewani II

gargles

Boku no Hero Academia - 13 (END)

If their objective was to sell the manga, then congratulations, they've done it. Although they've ended on a good note (last episode was easily the best), the pacing sometimes felt a bit slow. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable ride. Deku was alright and so were most of the remaining characters... except Kacchan. Screw him.
Not waiting for Season 2 to start reading the manga. If the next arc is as good as it is said, then I'm grabbing it as soon as possible.

And if we're doing rankings for this season:

1. Kiznaiver (there's a ton to write about it. May do it later)
2. Space Patrol Luluco
3. Re:Zero
4. Flying Witch
5. Boku no Hero Academia
6. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
7. Bungou Stray Dogs
8. Kabaneri

Sakamoto is on hold, Joker Game was dropped after 4 episodes and Mayoiga... not putting it on this list. Definitely not.

Great
ConRevo
Jojo
Kiznaiver

Good
MHA
Kuromukoro
Exorcist
AssClass
Sailor Moon S3

Bad
The Lost Village
Luluco
Joker Game
Kabaneri

Why can I watch this yet!?
Garo Divine Flame

Fuck everything
Kagewani II

91days looks so good.

Not sure if animeGAF follows this dude and whether you think he is a credible source, but this video showed me that I may have overlooked some potential gems:

Arkada's Top 10 Anticipated Anime of Summer 2016

Regardless of his list being good or bad the way he does it is cool since he rates the shows based on the staff that are in them as well as based on his personal opinion on whther the PV looks interesting or not.

Just thought I'd share as someone that really doesn't know names of the industry since although he does mention them, he also states which of their more recent works they were in.

Eumi

Fun show, but absolutely nothing happened. Would have been nice to get any kind of substantial development before it ended, but oh well.

Raxus

I'll be happy as long as
- they stop abusing flashbacks instead of inserting original content if they want to end at specific points (because everything that was anime original was really good, so they are clearly capable)
- step up their background art game, because it was really weak
- step up their character art game in key moments like the villain arrival

Agreed on all accounts especially the last point because the art during the next two arcs is divine.

Moaradin

Great
JoJo
MHA
Kiznaiver
Re:Zero
AssClass

Good
Luluco
Ushio and Tora
Bungou Stray Dogs

Meh
Kabaneri

Dropped
Twin Star Exorcist
Joker Game
Flying Witch (Didn't hate this one. Just didn't really feel like watching it weekly. Might come back to it.)

Overall a really solid season

phaze

Is there a lot of prattling about "justice" in CR ? I wanted to give it a retry but saw some impressions to that effect and it just completely sapped my will.

----------

Kiznaiver >> Re: Zero > Luluco=Bungou Stray Dogs=Tanaka-kun is Always Listless >>>>>> Kabaneri>MHA=Jojo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mayoiga

Dropped Flying Witch, which was just too plain and dull for me to care about,
forgot about Kurumukuro and I'm not sure if care enough to pick it back. Big Order might have been genuinely the worst show I've witnessed so .. yeah, dropped it too.

Tonkatsu DJ 12

What a way to end the series. Oily-san heating up the floor and getting recognized made me shed a tear, so cool.

Agetarou not being one of the headers is fairly great too. He's still a beginner dj, but he heated up the floor for the other djs. I might actually go to read the Manga now. Fantastic.

9/10 easily, it isn't going to be remembered by many but the style this fucking show oozed was enough to make it take the lead for the season.

Is there a lot of prattling about "justice" in CR ? I wanted to give it a retry but saw some impressions to that effect and it just completely sapped my will.

From where I am the show's focusing on a bunch of morally grey situations superhumans and the Bureau are facing, so yeah there's a bit of that but not to a point where it's especially annoying.

I'd say marathon the first three episodes like me and see if it's to your liking.

blurr

Kiznaiver 11-12

This was a pretty good finale, I like the narrative goal and what it tried to achieve but it didn't really resonate with me as much as it should have. Sonozaki was driven by her own misconception that if people share their pain through the Kizuna system they would be able to form a relationship and consequently result in world peace but they learn that Kizuna system isn't necessary for that when lead characters with their extreme personalities end up becoming friends even after they were no longer connected by the system. They were indeed brought together through the system but the important part is, it meant little to nothing until they actually opened up to each other on their own. Katsuhira remained indifferent for Chidori's feelings despite being connected through the Kizuna system but it was only when he met his childhood friends that he finally understood and felt for her. So yes, the Kizuna system was futile for what it was originally intended.

I liked how Katsuhira made up with Chidori and consequently Chidori understood what Tenga was trying to do. Towards the end of it, I like how all of them ended up. I'm glad it was more or less a happy ending. I am a bit mixed about how Nico is handling the love triangle,
YOU NEED TO BE AGGRESSIVE NICO

Top Bottom