• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

kewlmyc

Konosuba OVA

Scumbag MCs continue to be the best LN MCs. This was a weird place to introduce Yunyun, since they're going to have to do it again in the next season where she's officially introduced, but she added to the comedy to it was fine. Konosuba continues to excel at comedic timing, something a lot of comedy anime need to learn how to do (the only other comedy that started this year that I think has good timing is Sakamoto).

My Hero Academia 13

Look, I'm probably one of the series' biggest fans on GAF, but this adaptation is disappointing overall. Since I like the source material so much, it's still good. But the 2nd season really needs to up its game significantly, especially with it covering several of the series' most important moments.

I dropped it since I find the beginning of the manga boring, so the pace of the anime wasn't doing it any favors. But if they're covering Stain and the Tournament arc next season, I'm totally back on board.

ReZero 13

That escalated itself didn't it. To see Subaru stoop so low as to say that Emilia "owes" him? Buddy she doesn't owe you anything. Was the reason why he did all those things as petty as this? To have her pay him back? Man what shit episode. The show may have just lost a point or two right here. Sure Subaru was annoying but he tried hard because of everyone else, there wasn't a single selfless bone in it. Or so I thought.

Dragon Ball Super 49

2016_06_26_11_42_18_Pafu_Subs_Dragon_Ball_Supe.png
2016_06_26_11_42_27_Pafu_Subs_Dragon_Ball_Supe.png
2016_06_26_11_42_33_Pafu_Subs_Dragon_Ball_Supe.png

Shit sure happens fast in this for a Dragon Ball series. Trunks went back to the past last episode and at the end of this Black already found him.

Tonkatsu DJ END

S2 when? How am I supposed to chill out now?

Has someone aleady called making the OT for Mob Psycho 100 and/or 91 Days? If no one with actual image editing skills wants to take it be my guest. If no one wants to I'll do it and just find stock images online.

MP100 and Danganronpa 3 are mine.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #13

I was looking forward to a new OP and ED, but of course they skipped both again, lol.

Yet another amazing episode.
Felts speech was awesome and Reinhart seems to be more cunning then one would think.
I loved it when Subaru exploded with anger at all those old fogeys stereotypical fantasy-racist behaviour.
And then he just kept digging and digging and digging and digging himself into a deeper hole.
The argument between him and Emilia was also some great stuff. He just wants to do everything right and help her, but doesn't really think through things all that much and everything is backfiring.
The thing is, Emilia has all reasons to not understand Subaru. Because one of the reasons why he's so hellbent on helping her, besides him obviously liking her, does not even exist in this timeline and he has no way of even telling her that because of the curse.
Wwhen Emilia said "I can't understand if you don't tell me.", while he was in pain because of trying to tell her, but being unable to due to the curse and then snapped out of desperation, that was some great stuff.

Of course he could die later on and redo all this, but personally I think his current bonfire is him waking up right before the argument, with no way to easily undo his fuck-ups.
Would make some great moments, but we'll see.

Made a draft of 91 Days OT for now. The staff doesn't seem to immediately bring confidence in experience, seems like most of them are gunning for this to be their first big drama and/or show.

How did Durarara X2 look visually/animation wise?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Re Zero Episode 13

Being Subaru is suffering

Emilia is worst girl

Rem is best girl

Your waifu is a shit

Your waifu is a shit

Your waifu is a shit

I mean, in some sense I can understand how knowing everyone many more times than they know you would probably make you both insane and make them feel like you're being creepy, but even then Subaru spent the entire episode shouting random shit off the top of his head until everyone determined he was insane.

Made a draft of 91 Days OT for now. The staff doesn't seem to immediately bring confidence in experience, seems like most of them are gunning for this to be their first big drama and/or show.

Again someone has this erroneous impression? Come on now. Hiro Kaburaki began storyboarding and directing in 2002, and since 2009 has directed two seasons of Kimi ni Todoke, My Little Monster, and Hozuki no Reitetsu. Taku Kishimoto has been an active scriptwriter since 2011, writing for Bunny Drop, Silver Spoon, Haikyuu, Erased, and Joker Game. Tomohiro Kishi is perhaps the main staff member with the least experience in his role as character designer and chief animation director, but he did work with Kaburaki in those roles before on My Little Monster and of course has plenty of animation experience.

It's not "the team behind the hit anime Attack on Titan", but it's not some group of newbies fresh off the street.

Syrinx

Flying Witch 11

Archaeologist Kenny was legit funny. This show nailed the cats, which are critical to any heali\ng show.

Again someone has this erroneous impression? Come on now. Hiro Kaburaki began storyboarding and directing in 2002, and since 2009 has directed two seasons of Kimi ni Todoke, My Little Monster, and Hozuki no Reitetsu. Taku Kishimoto has been an active scriptwriter since 2011, writing for Bunny Drop, Silver Spoon, Haikyuu, Erased, and Joker Game. Tomohiro Kishi is perhaps the main staff member with the least experience in his role as character designer and chief animation director, but he did work with Kaburaki in those roles before on My Little Monster and of course has plenty of animation experience.

It's not "the team behind the hit anime Attack on Titan", but it's not some group of newbies fresh off the street.

Maybe the 'or show' only applies to the man behind the music, but my comment was more directed at the director which seemed to have largely done romantic or slice of life shows. The Chief Animator seemed solid enough, so hopefully the skills translate well enough with what we've seen. Most of the big scenes I've watched of Durara X2 aren't particularly impressive but this show probably won't need big 1 v 1 fight scenes so as long as the art is on point I'll be happy.

Eumi

Yeah, didn't really feel this episode. But it was basically just a fanservice ep so I guess that's to be expected.

But man did I hate Yunyun(?). Honestly I kind of hate all the semi recurring characters. I'd rather they just stuck to the main cast and then one have other people pop up for like a single episode.

Exalted

So how is Macross Delta now that 12 episodes have already aired? Worth the watch, or meh . Is it comparable to other Macross shows?

duckroll

Maybe the 'or show' only applies to the man behind the music, but my comment was more directed at the director which seemed to have largely done romantic or slice of life shows. The Chief Animator seemed solid enough, so hopefully the skills translate well enough with what we've seen. Most of the big scenes I've watched of Durara X2 aren't particularly impressive but this show probably won't need big 1 v 1 fight scenes so as long as the art is on point I'll be happy.

Actually I would say most of Kaburaki's shows are comedy. Judging from the PV of 91 Days, it's going to be really funny because it's trying SO HARD to be edgy. Looool.

Next season hype?

1. Mob Psycho 100. Good source material, promising looking staff and PV
2. Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Despair/Future. It has double Megumi Ogata so it can only be so bad.
3. Soma S3. Alice will be in it a lot.
4. Love Live Sunshine. Will prob just be carbon copies of the first cast.
5. Berserk. Thanks Satan.

I'll check out some other shows. Already having trouble discerning between Orange and Battery and Days/91 Days.

Overall looks to be an actual non meme backlog season for me. Where tf are Symphogear S4 and Zoku Owari???

Re:Zero 13

It is like all the character development he went through saving Rem and Ram never happened.

You summed up my problem with this episode pretty well. We basically watched him go through all of what he did in an arc that dragged itself through an entire cour... and the ending of that cour was actually satisfying. Then this happens. Sigh.

Actually I would say most of Kaburaki's shows are comedy. Judging from the PV of 91 Days, it's going to be really funny because it's trying SO HARD to be edgy. Looool.

I certainly hope 91 Days doesn't end up raising my eyebrows as much as Berserk is currently doing. I'd just like Gungrave without the bad parts.

Next season hype?

2. Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Despair/Future. It has double Megumi Ogata so it can only be so bad.

I'll check out some other shows. Already having trouble discerning between Orange and Battery and Days/91 Days.

I find it baffling how you could have difficulty discerning the difference between those three shows, considering they all have distinctly different visual styles and tones.

I find it baffling how you could have difficulty discerning the difference between those three shows, considering they all have distinctly different visual styles and tones.

I actually know nothing about them besides the name, thats why. 91 Days and Day is easy, but Battery and Orange are both one word titles.

Berserk is raising eyebrows because for some god awful reason Tecmo Koei has decided on the genius strategy of marketing via rape. The reveal trailer was already bad and gross enough but it looks like they are just doubling down on that. I have issues about Casca's character post eclipse and this is just making it worse.

I would never say that Berserk handles rape in a tactful matter especially early on, but its never been like this. Kind of the continuation of the weird celebratory nature the Eclipse had in the movies where they felt like they had to make it more. No, the Eclipse is supposed to be a horrifying nightmare world. I'm also seeing generally good people trying to defend it and its like, why? Although Berserk is the ultimate dudebro MANga so I guess it's not surprising to see people hand waving away bad depictions of rape.

Ascheroth

Scumbag Kazuma Special Scumbag Edition

Holy shit, Kazuma, you shit NEET.

I was laughing troughout. The comedic timing in this show is so good.

I miss all those nutcases already.
Season 2 can't come soon enough.

Berserk is raising eyebrows because for some god awful reason Tecmo Koei has decided on the genius strategy of marketing via rape. The reveal trailer was already bad and gross enough but it looks like they are just doubling down on that. I have issues about Casca's character post eclipse and this is just making it worse.

I would never say that Berserk handles rape in a tactful matter especially early on, but its never been like this. Kind of the continuation of the weird celebratory nature the Eclipse had in the movies where they felt like they had to make it more. No, the Eclipse is supposed to be a horrifying nightmare world. I'm also seeing generally good people trying to defend it and its like, why? Although Berserk is the ultimate dudebro MANga so I guess it's not surprising to see people hand waving away bad depictions of rape.

I was actually thinking more of my current trek through the Berserk TV series than what Koei Tecmo is up to, but yeah, looking in that thread did not give me a high opinion of Berserk fans.

When are we getting an Overwatch anime? Maybe then I'll care about anime again.

Once based Duncan Jones does the Tides of Darkness, Beyond the Dark Portal, Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne movies the Blizzard Cinematic Universe will open up into new possibilities like a StarCraft movie or a Lost Vikings animated series.

Cornbread78

Too many sports anime. And generally it's mostly stuff I don't care about.

Definitely a backlog season. And at last I'll have time to check Hunter x Hunter series during the summer.

Battery doesn't sound like your standard sports anime, so that's something.

Looks to be more on the Cross Game side of things.

Re: Zero 13

Wooooow. I haven't seen an MC fuck up this fucking hard in a long ass time. I mean god damn. By the fucking end of this episode he was probably wishing he had fucking died instead of going through all the shit he did. Like he actually made himself a better and worst character because of how fucking self absorbed and prideful he was this entire episode. He utterly and completed deserved the ass beating he got the physical and emotional one.

Wanderer5

Next season hype?

Overall looks to be an actual non meme backlog season for me. Where tf are Symphogear S4 and Zoku Owari???

Not in any order, but I looking forward to Orange, Mob Psycho 100, Berserk the most for now, while Sweetness and Lightning and D.Gray-man interests me a bit. 91 Days could be a wait and see too, but eh.

Ascheroth

So how is Macross Delta now that 12 episodes have already aired? Worth the watch, or meh . Is it comparable to other Macross shows?

I think it's been fun. Has some great songs and nice fights. I like the characters and their dynamics and last episode had a really strong emotional moment.

Unfortunately the antagonists are fucking boring and they have more screentime than they deserve.

Pretty satisfying to watch him dig himself deeper and deeper into his hole.

Indeed.
He might not be strong, but his skill in hole-digging is second to none.
I await the moment he digs himself in so deep that it manifests into a drill that will pierce the heavens.

Szadek

Last summer season was pretty awesome, but it's unlikely that the next one is going to be that great again.
I barely looked at the upcomming animes, since I'm going to watch most of them anyway.

Since I can't even get a clear answer what the new berserk anime is, so I will just watch the old one first.

phaze

The MC is usually the one going on about it and typically gets some harsh reality checks regarding his his simplistic stance on the matter.
I doubt reality checks will be enough for me to find it bearable considering how I utterly detest the "Seigi no Mikata" kind of stuff. lol

Next season hype?

This season rather showed how utterly pointless my divinations and hopes are but I 'll still certainly check:

1. Orange - Hamasaki'll cometh and deliver us from this present evil world. This time in color.

2. Mob Psycho 100 - I've heard that OPM supposedly isn't One at the top of game and I certainly hope so that'll turn to be true.

3. 91 Days - Dunno much about but at the very least, I can't outright reject it on the basis of promo image, that's gotta count for something right ?

Oh and maybe that football anime if the first impressions are favorable.

Here's my summer to-watch list:

1. Shigurui
2. Orange

Fixed !

Last summer season was pretty awesome, but it's unlikely that the next one is going to be that great again.
I barely looked at the upcomming animes, since I'm going to watch most of them anyway.

Since I can't even get a clear answer what the new berserk anime is, so I will just watch the old one first.

It seems to be skipping one arc after Golden Age and going directly into the next one. If it's your first time with the franchise then it's not really a thing for you, starting with the older one would be a more correct course of action.

Amazing episode, with Suburu as the main subject. I actually liked how Suburu is not just linearly getting better as a character, and has fallen back on his faults. Not being able to share the many more experiences he has with Emilia than Emilia can remember has to have a strong psychological effect, and I'm glad they are making Suburu suffer for it, instead of turning him into a perfect character.

Also, Priscilla is best girl of the arc.

Squishy3

The clear answer is everything before this adapted one arc specifically: The Golden Age. This is the first adaptation going beyond that. But it's also cutting things out and got downgraded since the original preview... so thanks 4C I guess

at least berserk musou will be good

Eumi

So I think I've mentioned this before but I never really got a feel for how others feel.

How many of you think Danganronpa 3's gonna be a fucking trainwreck. Because I have zero hope (eh? ehh?) for it but I have no idea if that's just me being cynical and crazy or what.

Top Bottom