• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

JulianImp

japanese girls would be going crazy in the west with 'INDIRECT KISSUUUUUUUUUU'

Like friends share drinks all of the fucking time.

Yeah, it's one of those cultural things about personal space that make little to no sense around here. The closest thing I can think of would be the whole "girls have cooties" mentality that was sometimes shown on western cartoons I watched as a kid, but it was always more about sharing stuff with girls somehow being gross rather than embarassing. For example, Argentine/Uruguayean 'mate' has everyone sharing the same drink using the same metal straw, which makes me think Japanese people would probably find it pretty iffy.

Of course anime is an awful place to start if you want to understand how people act in Japanese society, but it's still kind of true that the Japanese arevery particular about preserving their personal space... at least until they have to get shquished together in order to ride a train during rush hour.

Quality most needed to be an anime fan: being able to lie to yourself.

It might be good! Yes it's got the typical generically cute character designs, but it's also got:

-the benefit of not being a LN adaptation.
-no male MC for the show to be a harem
-a plot that could go somewhere fun or interesting (girls live in kingdom, giant robot attacks it, who knows where it goes from there)

None of these are indicators of actual quality, but no way does it mean that the show is going to be bad by default.

Sölf

Finished Prison School including the OVA. I need a second seasons like right now. God, one of the best comedies in recent history. I haven't laughed this much in a while now (well, okay, I also watched the Konosuba OVA today, so it hasn't been that long actually).

Tiger & Bunny 25 (End)

Overall, I would say I liked it, aside from a few missteps, like how Rock Bison or Fire Emblem never really got their own episodes. And the huge twist that led into the final arc with
Barnaby's memories having been fake the entire time
felt pretty stupid, I really would have preferred if they found a seperate way of leading into the big bad reveal. Still, characters were charmingly fun, comedy was usually on-point, lots of generic but well-done "hero" moments, and it was nice to have a mostly adult cast.

Are the movies worth watching?

Even if 91 Days ends up as an edgelord poor man's mafia story, at least I hope it goes full stupid so it turns so bad it's good. I'm hoping it's a genuinely good show though.

So, the guy directing the new Berserk anime is Shin Itagaki, who directed....the Devil May Cry anime and Ben-to...

...Well I liked Ben-to.

How dare you, he also directed Teekyu.

orange's premise doesn't inspire confidence, the stupid recent plot of the manga for food wars has put me off the series for the time being

Soma is getting better now

S2 wont even start to cover the garbage arc

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.38
FMA-Brotherhood-Episode-38-full-metal-alchemist-24624214-500-289.png

Scar you prick, what was that? You leave her alone ya jackass! Still new monsters are being shown and with only so-so ability. The reaction faces when May was reunited with the boys was excellent though (see above)

When it comes to the bigger picture though, I'm still trying to figute out how they are going to prevent the mass murder at Briggs, when clearly the deck is stacked against them and there isn't a lot of places to run.

Cornbread78

So my buddy went to Masscon? and had a meet and great with Steve Blum and git him to do a voice mail for him in the voice of Spike Speigel, from Cowboy Bebop. Pretty cool of him to do that for him.

Cornbread78

Narag

Have no idea. My phone froze so I had to open a new page. Dammit, my phobe is only a week old, lol.

Btw, I have never watched that cowboy show so I have no idea about the character, but I listen to his voice mail abd saw the selfie... pretty cool of the guy to do.

Not sure you'd like it. It evokes emotion without being terribly manipulative about it.

So I think I've mentioned this before but I never really got a feel for how others feel.

How many of you think Danganronpa 3's gonna be a fucking trainwreck. Because I have zero hope (eh? ehh?) for it but I have no idea if that's just me being cynical and crazy or what.

I'm going to watch it, but I'll be shocked if it is anything other than a hot mess. The staff isn't very promising, and the story premise doesn't really sound like the sort of thing that I want for Danganronpa.

Jintor

wtf cornbread you'll watch all kinds of rubbish you self-admit is rubbish but you've never seen cowboy bebop?

on second thoughts, sasuga cornbread

Cornbread78

wtf cornbread you'll watch all kinds of rubbish you self-admit is rubbish but you've never seen cowboy bebop?
on second thoughts, sasuga cornbread

In my defense 18 mos... that's it man.

And I can't remember you guys telling me to put it on my "must watch" list dammit.

See what I get for sharing...

I guess I can add it to watch after FMA:B and G Gundam.

JulianImp

sasuga cornbread

Seriously.

Cowboy Bebop is a noir show set IN SPACE. It has romance, action, drama, comedy, mushrooms, and it does all of them equally well, all while you listen to an awesome soundtrack and see neatly animated and coreographed action scenes with a great cast to top it all off. It isn't my favorite anime series of all time, but it's certainly up there and fit for recommending even to people who aren't all that much into anime.

Jintor

one of the few series i wholeheartedly recommend in english over japanese. (japanese isn't bad though of course. SUPAAAIKUUU)

Kyuur

AOTY tentative ranking as of latest episodes!

1. Erased
2. Haikyuu S2
3. Kabaneri (pending)
4. Kiznaiver
5. Hero Academia
6. Joker Game (pending)
7. Re:Zero (pending, this would have been much higher up before the last 2 episodes)
8. Swagamoto (pending)

To finish list:

Gundam Iron Orphans
Shouwa Genroku
Grimgar
Dimension W
Bubuki Baranki

Spring season was far better than the Winter. Hopefully Summer will impress!

Shirobako 3

My eyes started to glaze over when the characters started getting into in-depth discussions over how many cuts were where, but in general the show is still doing a great job of keeping this workplace drama entertaining. Watching Miyamori run around all over the place in panic, it's strongly impressed on you just how close this production is to total disaster. Boing Boing ever lurks in the shadows...

Aki-at

In my defense 18 mos... that's it man.

And I can't remember you guys telling me to put it on my "must watch" list dammit.

See what I get for sharing...

I guess I can add it to watch after FMA:B and G Gundam.

It's one of those anime shows everyone assumes one has watched like Neon Genesis.

(I've never seen Neon Genesis and only watched the final half of Bebop so I know the feeling.)

javac

I watched the first 5 mins of Bacanno and rage quit. The 5 mins that I did watch was in Japanese but I don't think that was the issue lol. I think I was just in a really sour mood and was like fuck this and never went back since.

I watched the first 5 mins of Bacanno and rage quit. The 5 mins that I did watch was in Japanese but I don't think that was the issue lol. I think I was just in a really sour mood and was like fuck this and never went back since.

you need english Baccano in your life. All of the appropriate accents are fantastic

HAVING THIS BROOKLYN ACCENT MAKES IT REALLY HA'HD TO PLAY CAAAAAAHD GAMES

Clov

Next season I'll pick up 91 Days and Mob Psycho for sure. I'll watch Danganronpa 3 despite not being confident about it turning out any good, just so I can see how that storyline wraps up. New Game sounds like it could be a pretty cute watch, and I'll watch season 2 of that magical boy anime since the first one was pretty fun. Is there anything else that seems like it would be really worth watching, or that has great staff behind it?

Aki-at

Umm, I havn't watched it at all yet...

Remember, 18 months... geez. That's all I've been watching anime for and I'm just getting to the "classic, must watches" this year, lol.

Haven't you seen like 300 animes? How is this even possible.

You're married too, where do you have the time to be a family man?!?

Next season I'll pick up 91 Days and Mob Psycho for sure. I'll watch Danganronpa 3 despite not being confident about it turning out any good, just so I can see how that storyline wraps up. New Game sounds like it could be a pretty cute watch, and I'll watch season 2 of that magical boy anime since the first one was pretty fun. Is there anything else that seems like it would be really worth watching, or that has great staff behind it?

Amanchu: Adaptation of a relaxing manga by the author of Aria from Junichi Sato and Kenichi Kasai.
Battery: Baseball themed character drama directed by Tomomi Mochizuki.
Days: Soccer manga adapted by Konosuke Uda.
Orange: Well respected drama/romance shoujo manga adapted by Hiroshi Hamasaki.
Sweetness and Lightning: PV looks adorable.

Cornbread78

Haven't you seen like 300 animes? How is this even possible.

You're married too, where do you have the time to be a family man?!?

Lets just say last year was a very VERY bad year in the office, so I had a ton of down time to watch snd syill stay on top of all my client's needs. This year has been a lot different, which is why my viewing has slowed down to mostly just the simulcast staff I can watch at my second job while I work...

Clov

Amanchu: Adaptation of a relaxing manga by the author of Aria from Junichi Sato and Kenichi Kasai.
Battery: Baseball themed character drama directed by Tomomi Mochizuki.
Days: Soccer manga adapted by Konosuke Uda.
Orange: Well respected drama/romance shoujo manga adapted by Hiroshi Hamasaki.
Sweetness and Lightning: PV looks adorable.

Seems as though there's more nice looking shows than I thought! I've enjoyed Sato's slice of life work, so Amanchu I'll definitely pick up. I'm not generally into sports, though I have enjoyed my share of sports anime. I think I'll at least give Battery a watch. Didn't know Orange had Hamasaki behind it; while not everything he's directed turned out good, I did enjoy some of his work so I suppose I'll watch that as well. Sweetness and Lightning definitely looks cute, so onto my list it goes.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Aki-at

Lets just say last year was a very VERY bad year in the office, so I had a ton of down time to watch snd syill stay on top of all my client's needs. This year has been a lot different, which is why my viewing has slowed down to mostly just the simulcast staff I can watch at my second job while I work...

- Watches 300 animes
- Is a family man
- Has two jobs

Dammit Cornbread stop making me realise how much a failure of a man I am.

AOTY tentative ranking as of latest episodes!

1. Erased
2. Haikyuu S2
3. Kabaneri (pending)
4. Kiznaiver
5. Hero Academia
6. Joker Game (pending)
7. Re:Zero (pending, this would have been much higher up before the last 2 episodes)
8. Swagamoto (pending)

To finish list:

Gundam Iron Orphans
Shouwa Genroku
Grimgar
Dimension W
Bubuki Baranki

Spring season was far better than the Winter. Hopefully Summer will impress!

So early to think of AOTY, I think Id have God Eater, Divine Gate, and Cardfight!! Vanguard G STRIDE GATE, POSA, and Grimgar on it, from this spring season, Super Lovers probably, Cerberus.

John Blade

Well...the two guys who kill the homeless person is taking over the team to kill MC Kei which suck as Grantz set this entire game to literally kill MC Kei even getting some of the people to believe MC Kei is the person who kill them by some sort of delusion.

I don't like how this game is right now as it break the rules of what Gantz is. Even the delay when shooting an enemies have remove. Turing this in almost a team deathmatch game. I guess the battle scene with Kei fighting against the team and also the two guys is interesting to watch. Unfortunately, it kinda ruin a bit of what I like of Gantz. With 3 more episodes to go, we will see where this fight will get to.

John Blade

- Watches 300 animes
- Is a family man
- Has two jobs

Dammit Cornbread stop making me realise how much a failure of a man I am.

Man...Cornbread. You make me want to step up and watch more animes when I have 303 animes in my collection and I just complete 161 and need to get through the rest right now. Need to slow down a bit so I can catch up with you a bit

Top Bottom