• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
yup it was that way last season as well. basically they are dubbing most of the things that crunchy has.

still hoping that next season they announce a dub for re:zero... for sure want to show that one to a few friends but a few of my friends will only watch dubbed stuff.

I imagined that's how it was going to be. Funi for dubs and Crunchyroll for subs and releases close to when Japan releases episodes.

BEYBLADE BURST #27 Training Camp! The Biting Stadium!|

Yes now where back to the Beyblade style we're familiar with, team gameplay! The biting stadium added a nice touch to this especially the strategy Shu employed. I hope we get to see more of its use.

Next week is the TRUE training camp experience, I cant wait.

Quasar

Qivzh7C.gif

I liked the cooking and competition, much more so in S1 but here and there S2 was 'aight, too. They could've worked on the many established characters, though, or even that gets increasingly less fun.

Introducing yet another bunch of likely undercooked characters whose over-the-top-ness will likely elicit a yawn at best by this point doesn't seem promising.

See for me, S2 suffered for me because it basically all competitions. Only the last bit after the competition was when I really enjoyed it.

Aki-at

Free time today, bunch of new series watched, overall not feeling this season too much.

Alice & Zouroko - 1

Alright, this was a lot longer than I expected but this old guy has some nerves of steel to not be terrified all these children have super natural abilities (It works better in my head if I imagine he's Tommy Lee Jones) I'm not sure how I feel about how there's a shady organisation controlling these girls, sort of goes against what I thought this series might have been about (An old guy trying to get to grips with a magical school girl and raise here) but we'll see, Zouroko is a different lead character from most just for being an old man that I'm intrigued to watch more. Will watch the next few episodes.

SukaSuka - 1

Not feeling this, was pretty bored by the end of it. World is probably going to end up boring too, why even bother with animal people and a troll (Who doesn't even look like a troll!) when everyone is human/look like humans?

Love Tyrant - 1

What the hell did I watch? I mean I laughed through out but only because of the absurd nature, doubt second episode will do anything and I suspect if they try to make any serious declaration of love in the show, it'll just be stupid without the funny or come off as gross.

Armed Girl's Machiavellism - 1

I'm down for school is secretly a place with a hierarchy of warriors and you have to fight your way to the top but this was pretty tame with it's action, not even stylish, the character designs don't do anything for me either and the comedy seems to be the usual MC gets into lewd or awkward situation with girls *laugh track*

You're Under Arrest - 3

I really did think Miyuki had an ex boyfriend but then the guy turns out to just want to return her launch money from back they were in high school, you got me good show. Even though I'm going through this series as a slow burn, I really am enjoying each episode.

Kenka Bancho Otome -Girl Beats Boys- Episode 2 – The Road to Conquering Shishiku
C-3CPy9XcAAyR5k.jpg:small
C-3CPy7XkAEQr7B.jpg:small

C-3Cgh-XcAAdOfz.jpg:small
C-3Cgh9WAAArLEU.jpg:small

Yes friendship between handholding blushing best bros is the best. If only, if only, if only. So close this season.

Totomaru (CV: KENN) with the ED was the best song so far.

Laughing Salesman 5
C-3_Cc_PPWAAIOb7c.jpg
C-3_Css_TXk_AAk_Ssz.jpg
C-3_Dk_PZXo_AAfb-i.jpg

Sweet Jesus...

I kinda just had to just stare at the screen for a few moments after finishing the episode. The first half was fine. (Made me realize the show's recurring theme of presenting Japanese Salarymen as childish empty people who are either bossed around by dominant wives or completely inept with women.) The second half however has Moguro being more villainous than he's ever been. More actively set on ruining a person's life than we've seen. His actions make him so cartoonishly evil that fucking Skeletor would probably look at this episode and think "Man, that's a bit much isn't it?"

DNAbro

Laughing Salesman 5

I kinda just had to just stare at the screen for a few moments after finishing the episode. The first half was fine. (Made me realize the show's recurring theme of presenting Japanese Salarymen as childish empty people who are either bossed around by dominant wives or completely inept with women.) The second half however has Moguro being more villainous than he's ever been. More actively set on ruining a person's life than we've seen. His actions make him so cartoonishly evil that fucking Skeletor would probably look at this episode and think "Man, that's a bit much isn't it?"

Did it get better after the first episode? When I saw the premise, I was hoping for some twisted shit about people fucking up their own lives, but it felt pretty tame.

Did it get better after the first episode? When I saw the premise, I was hoping for some twisted shit about people fucking up their own lives, but it felt pretty tame.

If you're hoping for a show about bad people being punished, this isn't it. In fact, this most recent episode probably had the most innocent uh customer so far.

Laughing Salesman is not about people fucking up their own lives; it is about sympathetic people having their lives ruined by the cruelty of Japanese society.

The Joker would probably find Moguro's methods uncouth. Moguro just targets random people who are slightly dissatisfied then gives them a deal they cant possibly keep just so he can fuck them over. He's terrible. He's like a Japanese ghost but slightly worse because he's even MORE unfair

Yu-Gi-Oh! Season 1 (Subtitled) Episode 108 – Mokuba Kidnapped - Kaiba vs Jinzo

All the interesting moments of Seto and Mokuba's lives are also so short, I wanted more of this 1 year test of handling the billion yen loan, or at least more with the company he bought too. Another duel with psycho shocker wasnt needed that badly.

Suka Suka Ep 4

Hmm wonder what happened to the defense. Also wished he hugged them all at the end. Looking forward to what happens next episode.

Laughing Salesman is not about people fucking up their own lives; it is about sympathetic people having their lives ruined by the cruelty of Japanese society.
I agree completely, it's using the traditional structure of a "morality play" to make scathing commentary at the failings of modern Japanese society. It might not be fun to watch, but I appreciate what it's trying to do, even if it comes off a bit heavy-handed in its approach.

download.png

Man, forget about dancing. Pick up kickboxing. You lift your leg and unless you're fighting in something bigger than a aircraft hangar your opponent can't escape.

Granblue Fantasy 1-3

Yep. WTF is up with Cygames and awesome shows.

This has me feeling like I am reading a massive fantasy book. The show feels so grand in scope and I am just loving it. The opposite to Shingeki no Bahamut's anime in terms of tone as this is much more upbeat and less serious but wow... this show is great so far.

Yama no Susume S2 17

A full episode of Ryouma Ebata, what a treasure. The way he moves the characters with such determined weight and momentum really is something.

They're simudubbing it? I'm surprised.

They also did the Valkyrie Drive anime, so I think the ecchi stuff sells well for them.

Wow, that Crunchyroll deal is paying off. That list is massive.
yup it was that way last season as well. basically they are dubbing most of the things that crunchy has.

I believe on Twitter one of their directors said they're shooting for 17-18 Simuldubs every season, on top of stuff they dub for DVD/BD independent of the streaming.

Two of those are shorts, but it's still a massive list. They also got most of the big stuff this season. Funi and Crunchy both made out big on their partnership.

Thoraxes

Finally something good to go with my Lodoss pickup for July.

Between that and all of Kuromukuro now (and likely with Ponycan's good quality encodes), i'm pretty happy. I didn't get to see season 2 of Kuromukuro because Netflix sucks and I dropped my sub before it ever came out, but it's nice to know I can buy it now. I enjoyed S1 too.

zulux21

They also did the Valkyrie Drive anime, so I think the ecchi stuff sells well for them.

I believe on Twitter one of their directors said they're shooting for 17-18 Simuldubs every season, on top of stuff they dub for DVD/BD independent of the streaming.

Two of those are shorts, but it's still a massive list. They also got most of the big stuff this season. Funi and Crunchy both made out big on their partnership.

Really there isn't much they have for dvd/bd anymore it's mostly just the stuff they simuldub (which makes sense)

still wonder if funi will actually continue with their plans of making another dubbing studio to get even more dubs going with more talent in their pool.

either way I don't mind at all them dubbing so much, makes it so much easier to watch most of the season.

I am also hoping they keep doing license rescues like gosick and Hyouka when they have free slots to dub things.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 27 – A Team Performance
C-3XS07W0AEPSkf.jpg:small
C-3ZhbAXUAA1_Lo.jpg:small

Stryker, Dempsey, and Donovon are pretty good characters for this episode. I doubt they will ever return but I enjoyed them, especially Stryker and the message the episode was trying to teach us.

Soccer is great for YGO.

Really there isn't much they have for dvd/bd anymore it's mostly just the stuff they simuldub (which makes sense)

True, the majority of their stuff is simuldubs, but they still get enough things like Nichijou, Scrapped Princess and some movies on top of the two you mentioned.

But yeah, overall I'm pretty pleased with funi's output. I think they are doing a good job with all the stuff they work on overall.

Sagrada Reset Episode 3

Again we start off with something that seemed like it would be so simple and easy to solve but it evolved into something of ghostly and zero g proportions. Very interesting especially once the 2nd reset was reached.

KADO: The Right Answer Episode 0 - Checked out the first episode on Funimation's website. It was pretty boring. Gave me a lot of Joker Game vibes with it's presentation. Since this was a "prologue" I'll check out the first episode proper to see if this is a show I want to follow this season.

Tsukigakirei Episode 3

I think this would work a bit better as an manga at times, it feels like one of those one shot or so manga with different slices of life moments of the characters and their developing feelings. As an anime, it kind of drags a lot and theres so much silent times or nothing happening that it feels way duller than it really is :(

The scenes where he is in his room punching the light switch keep making me chuckle though, love how he shows his feelings like that.

The Royal Tutor Episode 1 - So is this the Fujoshi-bait of the season? I didn't feel the Princes had dynamic enough of personalities for me to be willing to follow this weekly. I'm ok with Slice of Life series where the protag plays the straight man, but I really need to like the rest of the cast for it to work, and it doesn't really work here.

zulux21

True, the majority of their stuff is simuldubs, but they still get enough things like Nichijou, Scrapped Princess and some movies on top of the two you mentioned.

But yeah, overall I'm pretty pleased with funi's output. I think they are doing a good job with all the stuff they work on overall.

they rescued both nichijou and scrapped princess yes, but nichijou doesn't have a dub and scrapped princess just used the original dub so it's not like either of those added work to the voice talent.

but yeah they have been getting some movies. gives me hope that we might get the yuri on ice movie in a timely manor.

Hamst3r

Things I've watched lately that were pretty good:

• K-On! - Rewatched it. Didn't care much for it the first time. Liked it more this time.
  • K-On!! - Just felt like more of the first season to me. That's not to say it was bad though, I enjoyed it, it just didn't wow me or anything.
  • K-On! The Movie
  • Vampire Princess Miyu
Things I've watched lately that were the opposite of pretty good:

• Street Fighter Alpha: Generations
  • Evil Dragon War Chronicles
  • Bounty Dog
With Bride of Deimos, Bubblegum Crash, and One Pound Gospel in the middle somewhere.

I'm also 56 episodes and 2 movies into One Piece, and I like it. Good thing there's a lot of it...

KraytarJ

Things I've watched lately that were pretty good:

• K-On! - Rewatched it. Didn't care much for it the first time. Liked it more this time.
  • K-On!! - Just felt like more of the first season to me. That's not to say it was bad though, I enjoyed it, it just didn't wow me or anything.
  • K-On! The Movie
  • Vampire Princess Miyu
Things I've watched lately that were the opposite of pretty good:

• Street Fighter Alpha: Generations
  • Evil Dragon War Chronicles
  • Bounty Dog
With Bride of Deimos, Bubblegum Crash, and One Pound Gospel in the middle somewhere.

I'm also 56 episodes and 2 movies into One Piece, and I like it. Good thing there's a lot of it...
Apparently you're about 7% of the way through One Piece, just kinda wanted to calculate that.

Royal Tutor 1 Simuldub

That was actually a lot better and funnier than I was expecting. Alejandro Saab's Leonhard in particular knocked it out of the park. Looking forward to more of this.

WorldEnd: What are you doing at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka) 1 Simuldub

Willem, Ctholly and especially Nygglatho all sounded great here. I think everyone matched up pretty well, and they've done a good job capturing the melancholic vibe so far. I'll be interested to hear them approach more of the dramatic scenes.

Akashic Records 2 (simuldub)

Exploring the magic and Glenn a bit more made for a pretty good episode. The magic in particular was more creative and thought out than I was expecting for this.

Whatever happened with Oregairu's source material, how much did the anime not adapt?

I don't think the author knew how to end the series properly and put off finishing the last novel while he worked on other projects like Qualidea Code and Girlish Number.

I think Volume 12 was originally supposed to come out this month or last month, but was recently delayed again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think the author knew how to end the series properly and put off finishing the last novel while he worked on other projects like Qualidea Code and Girlish Number.

I think Volume 12 was originally supposed to come out this month or last month, but was recently delayed again.
Huh, he wrote Girlish Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom