• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

How many unique tracks are there in the game. It's not 153, right?

153 drops.

All but 9 of the tracks have 2 drops each (race and trick). Those remaining 9 each have 3 drops (race, trick, and survive). If you subtract those 9 tracks that removes 27 drops (3 each), with 126 drops remaining. Those 126 can be split in half (race and trick) which means there are 63 tracks with 2 drops each.

That means a total of 70 tracks. However, they aren't totally unique since on a lot of the mountains (as an example) 3 tracks will share a second half. So there may be three tracks at the top of the peak, but they all funnel down into 1 finishing segment. The dev team counts that as 4 unique tracks, but it's really 3 unique tracks and a 4th track that the other three share. That's still 4 tracks in a way (since that 4th track has its own drops), but in a way it isn't at the same time.

So, we don't know how many totally unique tracks there are quite yet. But there are a lot of tracks, at most 70 but probably closer to 50 if you remove those shared segments. Still, a shit load of tracks no matter how you count it.

I wounder if there are secret characters in the game.

seems like a place for Fate from Mirrors Edge.

They like shoving dead space guy into everything so maybe he is in there somewhere after 100%ing the game or something.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sounds like a bunch of pissers annoyed at held back content, then.
I highly doubt EA, of all developers, will fuck up the controls on one half of the SKUs!

Preordered the PS3 version today after absolutely loving the PS3 demo but looks like it won't be delivered until Friday. Which means I probably won't have it in my hands until the middle of next week. :(

soultron

Banned
What region is Death Zone is?

I can't remember, sorry. I'll check when I get home and boot the game up!

It's the last descent you'll go on. DO NOT YOUTUBE IT. DO NOT RUIN IT FOR YOURSELF!

Haven't looked for Happiness yet. Been too busy just playing the hell out of this game! I'll look for it later! :p

Are there a bunch of different time/weather scenarios for the same track? For example, are there tracks where you trick during the day and then race at night? Also, are there many sunrise/sunset courses?

You'll see different parts of each range at multiple times of day, yeah; certain drops are night time, certain are bright day, and so on. The weather bit I cannot remember, so I'll try and check it when I get home!

New review: INC Gamers (never heard of them before today.) gave it an 8.0. I feel they were positive overall about the game, but some of their information was wrong (The Rockies DD is Trees, not Rock, for instance.) and one of their criticisms was that the soundtrack doesn't match the standards of the older games. Not only is your enjoyment of the included soundtrack entirely subjective (I am in love with it; only imported my own tunes to test EA Harmony!) but they completely fail to mention the option to include your own soundtrack that's remixed on the fly!

Ok can someone explain how you double your score in Trick it!? I did it once but can't seem to do it again and it's impossible to beat my score without doubling it.

How many unique tracks are there in the game. It's not 153, right?
Well lets look at it like this. There are 9 mountain ranges. Each mountain range has an Event Mountain, a Back Country Mountain, and a Deadly Descent Mountain. So 27 mountains. Let's assume on average each mountain has 2 unique tracks. So 54 would be a good estimate, which is still a ton.

Awesome, still no reviews
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219448p1.html

New review: INC Gamers (never heard of them before today.) gave it an 8.0. I feel they were overly positive about the game, but some of their information was wrong (The Rockies DD is Trees, not Rock, for instance.) and one of their criticisms was that the soundtrack doesn't match the standards of the older games. Not only is your enjoyment of the included soundtrack entirely subjective (I am in love with it; only imported my own tunes to test EA Harmony!) but they completely fail to mention the option to include your own soundtrack that's remixed on the fly!

I'm going to assume you didn't actually mean they were being too positive.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I will almost guarantee this nonsense about controls is just that - nonsense. The two controllers are different. This is not news in 2012. But hearing people complain about the perceived control issues before release is frankly annoying.

Sure, sure, but I'd still like to know whether or not the deadzone is as huge in the 360 version - it is not nonsense that it's pretty large in the PS3 version, it's fact. If the same isn't true for the 360 version, it wouldn't surprise me if this is at least part of the reason why many seem to feel that the PS3 controls are inferior in comparison. With a large deadzone the controls will feel more (over)sensitive, since you still have to map the entire range of analog input to whatever stick travel you have left once you've cleared the deadzone. I could definitely see this causing the problems with oversteering people (including me) are having with the PS3 version. Now, if the 360 version does have the same large deadzone, this is of course moot.

Again, I'm gonna play and love this game, just like I have the demo. I just want the experience to be the best it possibly can (this is my most anticipated game of 2012, believe it or not), so if there is actually an issue specific to the PS3 version, that's something I hope EA can fix.

I meant to type "positive overall," thanks for catching that!

To be honest, I felt their "review" was as lackluster as IGN's. Neither review really talk about what SSX truly is. Not that I need them too, I guess. The demo eventually sold me.

Since you're answering questions, can you talk about the framerate throughout the rest of the game. At first I wasn't experiencing framerate issues in the demo, but then as I got better and was doing Ubers on the dam the framerate sometimes went to hell. How is it elsewhere?

OT, but curious- are all IGN reviews written that badly?

For pure entertainment value, you should read the Uncharted 3 review.

soultron

Banned
To be honest, I felt their "review" was as lackluster as IGN's. Neither review really talk about what SSX truly is. Not that I need them too, I guess. The demo eventually sold me.

Since you're answering questions, can you talk about the framerate throughout the rest of the game. At first I wasn't experiencing framerate issues in the demo, but then as I got better and was doing Ubers on the dam the framerate sometimes went to hell. How is it elsewhere?

It's consistent. I told you I'd be looking out for things like this and I was. I noticed no hitches while I was playing. There might've been a few isolated instances, but not enough to stick out in my mind. This is interesting considering how some of the runs are much larger than Bulldog.

To make things more surprising, I don't even have the game installed on my HDD! It still loads very fast. You won't be sitting at load screens very long at all, even with it running from the disc. Transitions between Explore, Global Events, and World Tour (from menu group to menu group) are very responsive. It means you'll spend less time waiting for things to load and more time playing. With how much you'll be restarting, it's a great thing that the game loads quickly. It would've been a major disappointment, otherwise!

Thanks for that info. I always install my games, so hopefully I'll get even better reload times. Great to hear that reseting is very fast. The demo was great in that regard.

soultron

Banned
Thanks for that info. I always install my games, so hopefully I'll get even better reload times. Great to hear that reseting is very fast. The demo was great in that regard.

No problem! I'm glad I can finally talk about things!

Unless IncGamers got a copy from a retailer that broke street date, this might mean that the embargo is up. Hopefully we'll see more reviews soon!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
OT, but curious- are all IGN reviews written that badly?
Most are, but some are even worse, if you can believe it. One of their prime offenders is Greg Miller (a fucking executive editor), who seems to have the writing ability of a 4th grader. He wrote the aforementioned Uncharted 3 review, as well as the Dead Space 2 review; seriously, just read this and try to keep a straight face: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1145296p1.html

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
What are the backcountry peaks like? How do you beat them- are they typical races/tricks without an adapted course or just rides to the bottom?

Those IGN reviews read like fan blogs, ugh. Sorry about shitting up the thread soultron and not that i'm doubting the game for a second, just I would love to see the reviews from more credible/articulated sources. Hopefully we'll be getting some soon.

D6AMIA6N

After lambasting me over my frame rate complaints in the demo thread, you admit now they do exist! Redemption! J/K, but it is nice knowing I wasnt the only one experiencing them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
After lambasting me over my frame rate complaints in the demo thread, you admit now they do exist! Redemption! J/K, but it is nice knowing I wasnt the only one experiencing them.

I've really only experienced it at the dam in the demo. Maybe there's a frame or two dropped elsewhere as well, but that's the only place where I've seen noticeable hitching.

Most are, but some are even worse, if you can believe it. One of their prime offenders is Greg Miller (a fucking executive editor), who seems to have the writing ability of a 4th grader. He wrote the aforementioned Uncharted 3 review, as well as the Dead Space 2 review; seriously, just read this and try to keep a straight face: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1145296p1.html

LOL, thank you for directing me to that review. I needed that. Too funny.

I ran into some slight framerate issues doing Ubers on the dam in Bulldog in the full version. Haven't seen any drops anywhere else though. I have the game installed to my HDD too

colinp

Banned
No problem! I'm glad I can finally talk about things!

Unless IncGamers got a copy from a retailer that broke street date, this might mean that the embargo is up. Hopefully we'll see more reviews soon!

What are you considered, soultron? I mean I know you're not a viral marketer, but you have a direct link to EA PR and feel the need to filter any negative information positively in a mildly insane way. I know you love SSX, but are you trying to get a community rep job or something? Just bizarre reading some of your posts...

Dany

Banned
You level up characters but do they have stats like in 3 where you add points to? Oh, does your level carry to MP events? Do you keep the gear that you buy and use whichever one you want? Is everything they can wear 'realistic'?

You level up characters but do they have stats like in 3 where you add points to? Oh, does your level carry to MP events? Do you keep the gear that you buy and use whichever one you want? Is everything they can wear 'realistic'?
Pretty sure your gear carries over across all modes. There are no stats you add points to, just gear that you can purchase with the in-game credit system, with better gear available at higher levels.

Pretty sure your gear carries over across all modes. There are no stats you add points to, just gear that you can purchase with the in-game credit system, with better gear available at higher levels.

That's how I understood it as well. Is it true that there are gear level limits on some drops, though? I think I saw that mentioned somewhere.

Sure, sure, but I'd still like to know whether or not the deadzone is as huge in the 360 version - it is not nonsense that it's pretty large in the PS3 version, it's fact. If the same isn't true for the 360 version, it wouldn't surprise me if this is at least part of the reason why many seem to feel that the PS3 controls are inferior in comparison. With a large deadzone the controls will feel more (over)sensitive, since you still have to map the entire range of analog input to whatever stick travel you have left once you've cleared the deadzone. I could definitely see this causing the problems with oversteering people (including me) are having with the PS3 version. Now, if the 360 version does have the same large deadzone, this is of course moot.

Again, I'm gonna play and love this game, just like I have the demo. I just want the experience to be the best it possibly can (this is my most anticipated game of 2012, believe it or not), so if there is actually an issue specific to the PS3 version, that's something I hope EA can fix.

Ok. So I just personally checked both demos back to back for you. Literally had them both loaded up and flipped between the inputs on my low input lag tv. Same event, same character.

Both versions have a dead zone on the left stick, but it is smaller on the 360 version. It's possible this was done to compensate for the PS3 sticks larger travel. Maybe the developer can comment to clarify the reasoning.

Regardless, you now have your answer on the 360 version.

Edit: You know what? Upon further examination I'm going to say the 360 version basically has no dead zone. This should be interesting. :p

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
WooHoo! My order shipped. I'm starting to feel a cough coming on I might need to miss work tomorrow... *cough*

JaseMath

Not to kick a dead horse, but yeah, there is a huge dead zone with the PS3 controls. I wondered why the game felt like it was playing itself when I was doing small stick movements - it's because it literally was. Still stoked for the game though; won't sway my purchase any.

My apologies to RoadHazard earlier. It is kind of a big deal.

Dragnet

Not to kick a dead horse, but yeah, there is a huge dead zone with the PS3 controls. I wondered why the game felt like it was playing itself when I was doing small stick movements - it's because it literally was. Still stoked for the game though; won't sway my purchase any.

Holding the stick all the way forward and pushing it round the edge solves this, might not be the best solution all the time though.

Flib

I was reading this while back and forth today re the dead zone issues and, having played SSX3 on an Xbox, was going to pick up this one on 360 (even though I really want Mt. Fuji).

I decided to try the PS3 demo since I've been playing the 360, and randomly I found it much easier to control and posted my fastest race time by far (2:05, still not amazing or anything I know). I'm still conflicted, but may end up going PS3. The 360 version might be too sensitive for me.

Even with the PS3 dead zone confirmed, I'm still not convinced this is a "big deal".

Due to the larger range of movement on the PS3 sticks it's quite possible things would feel weird if there were no dead zone. In other words, I have a feeling this wasn't a mistake.

soultron

Banned
What are you considered, soultron? I mean I know you're not a viral marketer, but you have a direct link to EA PR and feel the need to filter any negative information positively in a mildly insane way. I know you love SSX, but are you trying to get a community rep job or something? Just bizarre reading some of your posts...

I have a direct link to EA PR because:

A) I was sent an early copy a sort of fan appreciation; 11 other people, mostly from MerquryCity.com, a long-running SSX fansite which I'm also a member of.
B) I was also under NDA/press embargo, which required that I wasn't allowed to speak about the game in detail until now.

As far as being able to speak directly to the game's staff:
A) Todd Batty gave me his email when I went to EA Vancouver and encouraged me, and many other people from MerquryCity.com, that he wanted to keep a constant line of communication for questions and suggestions. I feel that this team has been super committed to actually engaging their community directly and that's something that should be applauded, in my opinion. They've been listening and everyone on the team are diehard SSX fans. Speaking with one of the team yesterday, I learned that many of them have been working at EA for years either because SSX was the franchise that inspired them to get a job at EA or because they wanted to work on an SSX title.
B) A lot of them have added me over XBL and that's how I've been speaking to them.

I'm not trying to get a job at EA, no. If I wanted to do that I would apply there. :p

I've tried to be as honest and transparent as possible in all of this and I hope that I've been effective in that regard.

As far as filtering information, I just think I have different (and, yes, overly positive -- I've been excited for this game since it was announced) opinions and viewpoints from most people. If you've read any of my posts on GAF, you'll see that I'm a very positive person when it comes to a lot of games. (Some recent examples include Max Payne 3 and Hitman: Absolution; neither of which are EA IPs.) I don't think I've been rude or meltdown-ish when I've defended criticisms through debate, either.

If you want to know anything else, ask away.

All I said is I didn't see any. And if I go down the dam without doing an Uber, I don't see it. Doing an uber off the top of the damn really causes it to chug for a second though. The reason I didn't see the drop is because I sucked and I wasn't in Tricky. =)

Top Bottom