• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

In general, I really like this game. Some of the descents, gimmicks and runs are fucking dreadful though. Whoever designed Antarctica should be gently let go. And the final race? Awful, terrible bullshit that should never have gone into the game.

edgefusion

Wow, the online pass is absurdly limiting! I usually rent games and got this through the post via Lovefilm this morning and it feels like the main bulk of the game is totally missing unless I buy the pass. That's pretty sickening to be honest, I'd be hugely pissed if I just bought this second-hand.

Cday

Banned
Wow, the online pass is absurdly limiting! I usually rent games and got this through the post via Lovefilm this morning and it feels like the main bulk of the game is totally missing unless I buy the pass. That's pretty sickening to be honest, I'd be hugely pissed if I just bought this second-hand.

Name a game with an online pass that is less obtrusive.

Now that Ive beaten the world tour, the day is my oyster! I can do whatever I want! Woohoo!
*high five* I finally finished that up last night, too. The AI time on Death Zone is highly variable (it ranged from 3:02-3:32 during my 15+ attempts last night), so sometimes you just get lucky like I did. I'm very pleased that I don't have to deal with that any more.

I'm starting to get a hang of trick events, too. I can't touch the higher scores on that Serenity competition that everyone is doing, but I cracked 25M to actually get into the money winning spots. I think I might be gripping the controller too hard and not activating my uber tricks properly, so I'll probably try and work on that a bit this weekend.

One other thing that is really grating me: getting stuck in the terrain. One of the New Zealand runs is terrible for it. I'll land awkwardly, slide down the rock, and then it will take twenty or so jumps to pull myself out of the dip at the bottom of it.

Curufinwe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ssx-face-off

In short, Eurogamer says that SSX is a must-buy, so which console platform offers the best package overall? The good news is that this is one of the closest cross-platform releases we've seen across all the long, hard years we've been at this game - but this is not exactly surprising. The all-new SSX isn't the technologically ambitious title that the original was back in the day - its most beguiling charms lie elsewhere.

winstano

Wait, what? You're only stopped from collecting credits you collect in Global Events... You can still do all of the "Explore" stuff, and you can still participate in GE's, just not 'bank' the credits you could win from them. Best Online Pass to be implemented, IMHO

Dany

Banned
None of the Deadly Descents are fun to race/trick down on, even to 'survive' the tracks, it gets annoying having to constantly restart.

It is a good thing that restart is quick and you keep mods and stuff but I'm restarting instead of rewinding. I feel like if I can't get a perfect run down, might as well restart. Also, I've switched to buttons and my Serenity Run jumped to 40 million :)

kinberg

Neo Member
Oh my! Been a long time since I've been this involved with a game, simply can't stop playing. The map design is almost flawless (except for those stupid death-holes) and they flow together in a really wonderful way.
Beat the World Tour earlier today and been going at it with the Global Events. It's so fun to try and beat someone else's record and win the most credits.

If someone here is still on the fence about getting SSX they definitely should go out and get it. Best spent money in a long time!

Dragnet

Can someone explain how the character perks work? Will a rider like Alex who has +15 speed always be faster than someone who has +5 speed even when the lower rider is fully kitted out with level 10 speed gear?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Someone on Merqury City posted this list. Don't think it's complete though.

Cool thanks for posting this. I really should just get an account over at Merqury City seems like a pretty nice place for SSX fans.

Just trying to do Explore since RiderNet is down for me, look at this nonsense I got at the end of my run:

AnEtr-yCQAAVIwR.jpg

Death holes suck. Racing in the dark sucks. Tricking on survival courses is total shit. But the change that still bothers me more than anything else is the complete lack of skill required to do tricks and land them. Tricks used to be what the series was about. Now there's no timing whatsoever required to do the hardest tricks in the game. Just bail at the last second and you auto-land. Basically they transferred the skill/difficulty from being able to time your jumps and tricks to being able to memorize where death holes are. A shitty trade-off imo. I also prefer the old games where pushing forward on the left stick bumped up your speed greatly but cost you some tightness in the controls. Now you press forward and it barely makes any difference in speed. Boo.

People who paid for the online pass are really getting their momey's worth today!

They're giving us a glimpse into the future of what the game will be like when they shut down the servers. This is why so many of us wanted split-screen and "real" multiplayer. Why would anyone without an internet connection to their 360-PS3 ever buy this game?

gl1tch

Neo Member
What system are you? Maybe once you're connected you're good. I can't connect at all. Tried many times. I'm on the 360.

Same, I'm on 360. I think I might have connected because my xbox turned on sometime in the morning and it's kept me connected to RiderNet.

soultron

Banned
They're giving us a glimpse into the future of what the game will be like when they shut down the servers. This is why so many of us wanted split-screen and "real" multiplayer. Why would anyone without an internet connection to their 360-PS3 ever buy this game?

I feel like people without internet connections are certainly out there, but I prefer to view them as majestic, ignorant/techno-illiterate unicorns in the gamerverse.

You can even play Explore with a XBL Silver membership. And PSN peeps can play the entire game (even the online bits) for free. You just have to stretch that little cable to your system or enable wifi!

Cday

Banned
I've had it kick me off twice but it seems that it lets you keep the mods and maybe the credits too. They were both free drops so I'm not sure about credits.

360 version is a bit sharper, but the biggest difference comes with the controls. Given the choice between Mt Fuji and tighter controls, I went with tighter controls. It's just more important than a bonus track filled with death holes imo.

Between Soultron and Jon Bones on the Serenity GE. Happy place to be.

Just landed a SWELTERING 3:38 run!!!

Neuro, you on 360?

Yes, I want that damn thing to end now so that I can get my million credit payday. Gimme gimme. I hate seeing that damn 1.5 million credit mystery board show up and I can t buy it.

Also not sure if it's been posted or not but here's how to get the million credit snowflake.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, I'm really loving the online stuff in this game! Starting it up and being greeted with announcements of what has happened while you were away is great, it really makes it feel like the SSX world is alive and full of people doing stuff even when you're not there.

Does anyone know what's special about the drops labeled "First Tracks"? At first I thought that was the game's way of telling me which tracks I haven't yet played in Explore, since it kept including at least one "First Tracks" drop in the recommendations after each run, which felt like a convenient way to work your way through all drops. But then they stopped appearing, and I have only done 30 or so drops in Explore.

Man, that Avalanche DD was absurdly easy. It didn't even feel like I was doing anything.

It gets really difficult pretty fast in Explore and Global Events.

EU PSN told me that activating the online key would unlock Mt. Fuji, but where is it? Did I read it wrong? I didn't get any of the pre-order bonuses in-store.

The pre-order bonuses are separate codes, at least here in Sweden. They have nothing to do with the online pass.

So basically I get no credit for that Diamond rank event because I was there to see it end?

I have to sign offline and come back when it's over? Does it work if you just exit the game then come back (while remaining online doing other things)?

What? You don't have to do anything like that. I sat and watched an event end, and got my payout a few seconds later.

How is it "absurdly limiting"? The only thing not having an online pass does is that you don't get any credits from Global Events (but they are still saved, so if you get an online pass later you will retroactively get all credits you earned while you didn't have one). You can still play all modes in the game, you can still earn credits from Explore, etc. That's not "absurdly limiting".

After banging my head against Death Zone in World Tour (it probably took me 20+ runs), I was pleasantly surprised to see how "easy" the Global Event version was. Paid my 1mil entry fee, and I'm set up to get 5mil out after my second try on the thing. So all that pain was worth it! Also, I assume at level 10 you get 2 gear slots? I was doing it with my level 9 Kaori and it made a certain section pretty annoying.

Also got my first Platinum this morning. Noticed a tricky event had like 4 minutes left with no entry fee, so I figured why not. Had a completely mediocre run and had to skip like 3 jumps at the end to get in before time expired and ended up beating the previous platinum by like 3mil. Morale of the story? Wake up early on Saturday and get in on sub 4 hour events. :p

I know that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit created the Autolog/Ridernet deal, but I gotta say, the Global Events concept is great for people with few/no friends playing the game. If Hot Pursuit had included something like that, I'd probably still be playing it.

I'm not great at the game, but I'd love to have some scores to compare to on Xbox. My gamertag is Gold Soundzzz.

EDIT: Fixed gamertag.

edgefusion

Anybody else notice the spelling error in Elise' intro movie? It says "Better that all the rest" instead of than, whoops!

How is it "absurdly limiting"? The only thing not having an online pass does is that you don't get any credits from Global Events (but they are still saved, so if you get an online pass later you will retroactively get all credits you earned while you didn't have one). You can still play all modes in the game, you can still earn credits from Explore, etc. That's not "absurdly limiting".

Yeah you're right, I just had a really negative first impression of it.

Dragnet

I wish there were more really well hidden, high scoring snowflakes. One on each peak maybe. Love hunting for flakes and tags! Community events would be cool if the devs could go in and place a bunch of hidden flakes and then we have to race to find them.

Top Bottom