• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

soultron

Banned
How can a human being get 30,000 distance on the Kilimanjaro Drop called Incoming in the Mawenzi Range?

My LVL10 flashlight with a battery mod only lasts me for a distance of 7,000?

Track memorization and/or high brightness levels on the TV? :p

Survive It drops are all about optimisation and track memorization, in my opinion.

soultron

Banned
I wish I had a dev kit so that I could hack together my own levels. I'd create some devilishly challenging shit, my SHREDDING BROS.

I was reading the SSX sub-reddit (Hey, Kavvy!) and one of the level designers there said they played a lot of Demon's Souls during development and took that as inspiration for some of the back country drops. Makes sense. I love the feeling of knowing that it's your fault when you fail, but also your mastery that provides success.

Good luck. The million credit snowflake won't show up for me :(

Gotta do it offline. And remember to use a character that you want to level up. You'll easily get a low-level character up to level 9 simply by grabbing that snowflake.

I'm now down to one more DD without using the requisite tool to get all the achievements for those. Some are easy, one or two made me want to crush my controller. But on the upside, once you beat the heat panel DD without a heat panel, the death hole tracks seem nice in comparison.

Gotta do it offline. And remember to use a character that you want to level up. You'll easily get a low-level character up to level 9 simply by grabbing that snowflake.

I'm now down to one more DD without using the requisite tool to get all the achievements for those. Some are easy, one or two made me want to crush my controller.

Where is this?!

When you said you usually rent games I assumed you had encountered an online pass game before, apparently not.

Even THQ games give you a 5-7 day trial if you don't have a pass. Why are the controls so god awful loose? I know I need to get used to it but I just don't expect to drastically swerve when barely moving the stick.

Rockies/Whitehorn/JT2

waiting in the chopepr at your drop and... no one... oh well ill ride it by myself. :D

Also, Conquered all of New Zeland in Explore mode with Gold medals, holy shit was that frustrating at some points. probably spent 8 hours on that entire range alone in Explore mode. The race it Whiteout was probably retried about 62 times.

soultron

Banned
Even THQ games give you a 5-7 day trial if you don't have a pass. Why are the controls so god awful loose? I know I need to get used to it but I just don't expect to drastically swerve when barely moving the stick.

Spend some time with it and you'll get better. So many people have started with the same feelings as you.

Spend some time with it and you'll get better. So many people have started with the same feelings as you.

I've been playing it for about a week. The loose controls never go away. I assumed better boards etc would change that. They don't. All they alter is speed, boost, and tricks. You either like the looseness or you don't...or like me you simply accept them as one of several changes from the original games that you wished never happened but you play anyway.

soultron

Banned
Don't know whether to get the flake with kaori, or mac ='(

The character-specific stat boosts apparently disappear at level 10, so it's basically who's look, sig Uber, and dialogue you prefer. The selection of perk suits might be different for every character, but I'm not high enough level yet to really comment on that.

waiting in the chopepr at your drop and... no one... oh well ill ride it by myself. :D

Also, Conquered all of New Zeland in Explore mode with Gold medals, holy shit was that frustrating at some points. probably spent 8 hours on that entire range alone in Explore mode. The race it Whiteout was probably retried about 62 times.

Weird I don't see it. What am I doing wrong I wonder?

I wish I had a dev kit so that I could hack together my own levels. I'd create some devilishly challenging shit, my SHREDDING BROS.

I was reading the SSX sub-reddit (Hey, Kavvy!) and one of the level designers there said they played a lot of Demon's Souls during development and took that as inspiration for some of the back country drops. Makes sense. I love the feeling of knowing that it's your fault when you fail, but also your mastery that provides success.

Demon's Souls as an inspiration for track design....

I'd rather not have known that. It will only make me rage at the death pits even more.

Tokubetsu

The character-specific stat boosts apparently disappear at level 10, so it's basically who's look, sig Uber, and dialogue you prefer. The selection of perk suits might be different for every character, but I'm not high enough level yet to really comment on that.

Man my lvl 6 wingsuit keeps dying RIGHT before I hit haha. Harder than I thought it would be.

Dany

Banned

wat.

OH SNAP, Elise has her "This is going to be very, very interesting" line from the Tricky intro. NOSTALGIA BLAST right to the heart. I smiled like an idiot.

Dany

Banned
OH SNAP, Elise has her "This is going to be very, very interesting" line from the Tricky intro. NOSTALGIA BLAST right to the heart. I smiled like an idiot.

Yeah, a bunch of them do, had the same reaction.

Does Psymon yell "french toast and SYRUP!!!!", that would be great

winstano

Finished in the diamond bracket in 2 events thus far. Feels good.

Although there is nothing more frustrating than tricking off the helicopter and plummeting into a death pit when you're in the middle of a massive combo.

Wait what? They're all the same after they hit 10?

Something else I noticed, if you buy mods for a race and then after you're done with the race, just quit back to the 360 main screen or shut off the 360 and next time you play your mods will still be active regardless of the next event you choose.

Are the Mt. Fuji and Eddie DLCs worth the £4 they are going for on ebay? What kind of character is Eddie, is he any good?

Mt Fuji is probably my least favorite area to play other than Africa. They're both chock full of two things this series doesn't need - caves and death holes.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Eddie has +15 to tricks, that's it.

He has some pretty entertaining quotes when doings tricks though.

I'd really like to have Eddie. I hate feeling like I'm missing something that is supposed to be in the game just because I didn't want to put pants on and ordered from amazon instead of going into a gamestop.

I appreciate the badge menus that show you what ones you have/have not gotten but telling me I have completed 93% of Uber (and Super Uber) tricks but not telling me what that remaining 7% consists of is of zero help to me.

Bgamer90

Banned
Man, the global events and explore mode makes up for the deadly descents mode being a mixed bag.

I'm going to be playing this game for months.

There's far more good than bad. I find myself really loving the combination of tracks that require ice axes, but using a wing suit instead. I finally tried Zombies tonight and hated it immediately. Why would you put jumps and rails that lead directly into an abyss? That's just stupid. It's actually not a bad track for racing. Completely idiotic first half for trick runs though. The bottom half shares the terrain with Bulldog, which is a wonderful track.

I appreciate the badge menus that show you what ones you have/have not gotten but telling me I have completed 93% of Uber (and Super Uber) tricks but not telling me what that remaining 7% consists of is of zero help to me.

Yep, that's incredibly stupid (and lazy).

btkadams

i'm having a blast with this game. i beat the world tour and i am just doing the explore and global event stuff now. it's really cool competing with you guys. i've beat some of you on some stuff, but i mostly get beaten by you haha. there are still some levels that really piss me off, but i just try to avoid them.

the game is great, but i really think it could have been the game of the gen if they had wackier characters and made it a bit less frustrating. i don't want it to be easier, but i feel like the challenge is derived from cheap shots. regardless, i'm having so much fun and will be playing for a while.

Pimpbaa

I don't find this anymore frustrating than the previous games. Then again, it's probably because I was never good at the series (barely scrape by in trick events).

I need some more ambient electronica stuff like TRS-80's "Mirage" or some of the more up-beat, lighter music like "Young Blood". All this thumping dubstep just makes me angry when I fuck up.

Anything you guys recommend?

fuenf

sometimes i just hate this game, why on earth are the equipment stats randomly generated. got zoe to level 10, saw a legendary rocket board with the extended tricky state perk but didnt buy it and now every legendary board that pops up has the "tricks" perk..

Top Bottom