• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Jamie OD

Does anyone know what's special about the drops labeled "First Tracks"? At first I thought that was the game's way of telling me which tracks I haven't yet played in Explore, since it kept including at least one "First Tracks" drop in the recommendations after each run, which felt like a convenient way to work your way through all drops. But then they stopped appearing, and I have only done 30 or so drops in from Explore, etc.

I think First Tracks are stages that none of your RiderNet friends have used yet, so you can be the first to ride them and get your score on the table.

Since a lot of people were asking for tips about trick it I made a tutorial video on how the multiplier works(since it's the biggest key to a high score). Loaded with annotations and pauses!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f8mYC1khxU

Thanks, that was great! But can you explain you do multiple tricks on rails instead of one long trick?

EDIT: Incidentally fuck Death Zone. Fuck Deadly Descents in general. They're not fun and some of them are frustrating.

EDIT: I don't why I'm doing this to myself. I guess because it's the last stage. This is one of the most miserable things I've done in a video game this generation. I legitimately have more fun at work, and they fuckin pay me for that. I hope whoever is responsible for this piece of shit gets fired. Actually I hope they fired the whole time responsible for the deadly descents idea in the first place, because now I have to put up with the incompetent remnants of their idiotic bullshit.

Thanks, that was great! But can you explain you do multiple tricks on rails instead of one long trick?

EDIT: Incidentally fuck Death Zone. Fuck Deadly Descents in general. They're not fun and some of them are frustrating.

EDIT: I don't why I'm doing this to myself. I guess because it's the last stage. This is one of the most miserable things I've done in a video game this generation. I legitimately have more fun at work, and they fuckin pay me for that. I hope whoever is responsible for this piece of shit gets fired. Actually I hope they fired the whole time responsible for the deadly descents idea in the first place, because now I have to put up with the incompetent remnants of their idiotic bullshit.

I had a lot of trouble with the Death Zone, then I watched this video and got it on my next try. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXS_IT5iUuM&sns=em

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Anybody else notice the spelling error in Elise' intro movie? It says "Better that all the rest" instead of than, whoops!

Yep, and I'm pretty sure I saw a few other errors as well. EA clearly didn't spend too much time and money on those motion comics (which shows in other ways as well). It's a good thing you only have to watch each one once.

I think First Tracks are stages that none of your RiderNet friends have used yet, so you can be the first to ride them and get your score on the table.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense.

Cday

Banned

Hit the trick buttons one after the other. If you're using the stick controls just use the face buttons for tricks on rails. Multiple tricks on rails is useful for getting tricky and getting your tricky multiplier up. If you're already Tricky and x20 then do one trick.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Since a lot of people were asking for tips about trick it I made a tutorial video on how the multiplier works(since it's the biggest key to a high score). Loaded with annotations and pauses!

Thanks for this. I did not realize that about rewinds. Is there any scenario in which you'd want to rewind after bailing?

Well, I beat Death Zone and am now slightly embarrassed by my rant, but still, fuck that shit.

Hit the trick buttons one after the other. If you're using the stick controls just use the face buttons for tricks on rails. Multiple tricks on rails is useful for getting tricky and getting your tricky multiplier up. If you're already Tricky and x20 then do one trick.

Oh no, I meant why do you do it...do you get an extra multiplier for each trick you do on the rail? (that's not true for grabs, right?)

btkadams

Yep, and I'm pretty sure I saw a few other errors as well. EA clearly didn't spend too much time and money on those motion comics (which shows in other ways as well). It's a good thing you only have to watch each one once.
yeah, i noticed that error too. i always find those motion comics to be stupid in games. i think the only one where it actually added to the game and worked well was infamous.

JambiBum

Thanks for this. I did not realize that about rewinds. Is there any scenario in which you'd want to rewind after bailing?

No. If you bail you might as well just restart. If you bail in a race it can be useful to rewind depending on your lead but most of the time bail = restart for me. Especially in trick it.

btkadams

i'm so dumb. i was getting so frustrated playing the last campaign event and after watching the video i realized i'm supposed to use the wingsuit...haha.

kinberg

Neo Member

Thank you so much for this! Very helpful, did not realize how the rewind function worked fully until now. I strongly recommend everyone that feels that they don't fully grasp the trick & multiplier systems to watch this.

Hale-XF11

I mostly use rewind to learn courses or for going after some of those hard to reach geotags and snowflakes. Sometimes I'll use it in Trick It events if I feel it's worth salvaging a nice combo.

JaseMath

How on Earth do you favorite a run? I've been through the SSX manual and online, but I can't find an answer. Can anyone tell me?

Got home today after midday to 1.5MILL in Global event Earning and 50K in Ghost earnings, lols, GAFbros. ;)

Also, If anyone wants in on a Global Event with MILLIONS in Projected Earnings...

Location: Himalayas -> Lhotse Range -> "Death Zone" Survive t!
Details: [2.5 Days Left] [$1Million Drop Cost] [$3.3BILLION Pot @ 910 Competitors]

(so far I only have "Tokubetsu" and "MASS Xtortion" Competing with me), CMON GAF BROS!

One run is just under 4,000 in distance (i reached Platinum Bracket @ 18,390 distance = 7.4Million Earnings) (Diamond Bracket @ 33,000 = 13.3 Million Earnings) so here's some tips to do better than me:
  • LVL10-Armor with high protection (instead of a Headlamp) = more runs you can do in a row without failing.
  • LVL10-Wingsuit with high durability will allow you to do more runs, other wingsuits wont last more than 3-4 runs.
  • The Key to this event are 3 things:
    • 1. In Darkness, stay on the right at all times in the cave, use the glowsticks to see your path ahead of time.
    • 2. In the wingsuit segments drop the wingsuit immediately once you clear the jumps to save durability.
    • 3. You must hit the chopper at the end (you cannot simply fall off the edge).
Once your wingsuits depleted enough you wont make the jumps and will fall to your death, You're welcome. Also NO REWINDS SO YEAH BROS lol.

Hope some GAFers Add me on XBL @ "Cuban Legend" so I can see their scores on this nice run. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'd just say restart, but in the end I'd still say rewind bails if you really want to keep going in a trick event. The combo is gone regardless, but the bail has you standstill for a bit and you lose 4-6 off your multiplier while this happens. Rewinding the bail prevents that, but your combo will start negative.

It blows my mind that some of these tracks made it through the QA process. How did anybody approve either One Step Ahead or Sentinel (both in Alps back country). Even with constantly spamming the wing suit, I can barely make it down them.

I'm convinced some of these absolute shit tracks were left in the game just the bump up the total number of tracks. Quantity != Quality. The amount of drops that ate just complete shit is absolutely maddening. Why didn't they just not include them? I can't see anybody enjoying some of them, let alone placing gold medal standings on them.

soultron

Banned
Got home today after midday to 1.5MILL in Global event Earning and 50K in Ghost earnings, lols, GAFbros. ;)

Also, If anyone wants in on a Global Event with high return there is a 3.2 Billion Pot(and rising) on Death Zone in the Lhotse Range in the Himalayas (so for I only have "Tokubetsu" and "MASS Xtortion" Competing with me, CMON GAF BROS.

It's a Survival even that requires a Wingsuit (ignore the Headlamp requirement and use armor instead). I got to 18,390 Distance with a Speed Wingsuit and LVL10 Armor. That brings me into Platinum Bracket with 7.3MIL in Earnings that will grow as the pot increases with every 1 MILL per drop cost. One run is just under 4,000 in distance and Diamond level is at ~33,000 so here's some tips to do better than me:

NOTE: The Key to the darkness section of the cave is to stay on the right at all times, there are no pits on the right and you can get through darkness without a headlamp and use the armor to last at least 5 or 6 runs down if you're careful. You only need the wingsuit on 5 jumps but aim yourself ahead of time with prewind so you dont waste all of it's durability... once your wingsuits depleted enough you wont make the jumps and will fall to your death, You're welcome. Also NO REWINDS SO YEAH.

Hope some GAFers Add me on XBL @ "Cuban Legend" so I can see their scores on this nice run. :)

I haven't been able to play a lot this week, but after the Leafs/Canadian game... it's on.

I think I might clear out my FL a bit. It's full for the first time but I'm still missing certain people like Neuromancer and a bunch of other SHREDDING BROS I want on my FL.

It blows my mind that some of these tracks made it through the QA process. How did anybody approve either One Step Ahead or Sentinel (both in Alps back country). Even with constantly spamming the wing suit, I can barely make it down them.

I'm convinced some of these absolute shit tracks were left in the game just the bump up the total number of tracks. Quantity != Quality.

I'll have to try them tonight.

Zombies with Jetpacks is pretty easy for me so I'm thinking I shouldn't have much trouble with these either. Jambi has me beat on ZwJ in Explore right now, but I'm gunning for him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No. If you bail you might as well just restart. If you bail in a race it can be useful to rewind depending on your lead but most of the time bail = restart for me. Especially in trick it.

For trick it:

If you crash, it's probably not worth the rewind. If you had a long combo, you won't get it back even if you rewind.

If you fall into a bottomless pit, the rewind only deducts around five-ten thousand points or so, which is not much. You don't lose the combo when you fall into a pit.

JambiBum

I haven't been able to play a lot this week, but after the Leafs/Canadian game... it's on.

I think I might clear out my FL a bit. It's full for the first time but I'm still missing certain people like Neuromancer and a bunch of other SHREDDING BROS I want on my FL.

If you clear me out I will snowboard into canada and murder your face with an ice pick.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh no, I meant why do you do it...do you get an extra multiplier for each trick you do on the rail? (that's not true for grabs, right?)

Multiplier goes up when you introduce variety in your tricks. If you do a tweaked grab with full rotation, the multiplier goes up by one. If you try the same trick again within some short time period, it won't go up. I believe you can eventually do the same trick again and have the multiplier go up, but I haven't figured out the exact timing.

mxgt

Banned

I'm convinced some of these absolute shit tracks were left in the game just the bump up the total number of tracks. Quantity != Quality. The amount of drops that ate just complete shit is absolutely maddening. Why didn't they just not include them? I can't see anybody enjoying some of them, let alone placing gold medal standings on them.

I know what you mean. So many tracks that are an absolute disaster design wise. The entire Africa region springs to mind.

If you avoid the shit tracks the game is awesome. Unfortunately they kind of sour the experience

I know what you mean. So many tracks that are an absolute disaster design wise. The entire Africa region springs to mind.

If you avoid the shit tracks the game is awesome. Unfortunately they kind of sour the experience

Yeah that's why they should have just been cut entirely.

It's also crazy to me that there is a clear difference between the well designed and horribly designed tracks. Look at Code Blue. It's a wing suit track and it's quite good. But on the same peak (Cerro Torre in Patagonia), Vengence & Last Call are a mess of pits and indeterminable jump distances.

Hay friends, just started up a Custom JT2 Event. 12.5k to enter. Good solid fun on a great mountain.

Still 2 Questions:

a) How do Drop Costs work? Can I go back to a Global Event again after I've switched to something else with out paying?

b) Can you stack the same kind of mod or am I wasting a slot with two Tricks and instead should have one Trick one Combo?

Hay friends, just started up a Custom JT2 Event. 12.5k to enter. Good solid fun on a great mountain.

Still 2 Questions:

a) How do Drop Costs work? Can I go back to a Global Event again after I've switched to something else with out paying?

b) Can you stack the same kind of mod or am I wasting a slot with two Tricks and instead should have one Trick one Combo?

a) yes you can go back into a Global Event forever (until it ends) if you paid the initial drop cost.

soultron

Banned
Yeah that's why they should have just been cut entirely.

It's also crazy to me that there is a clear difference between the well designed and horribly designed tracks. Look at Code Blue. It's a wing suit track and it's quite good. But on the same peak (Cerro Torre in Patagonia), Vengence & Last Call are a mess of pits and indeterminable jump distances.

I'm not trying to go all Defense Force, but I'm really digging the more Xtreme tracks. They're meant to be more challenging and I think they're awesome.

Jambi, myself, and a bunch of other people did a custom level 3 wingsuit race event and it was a blast. We started out doing 6 minute times, but within a few runs, we got our times down to 3 minutes and then some intense competition started from there. I'm thinking that brand of competition is part of what makes these harder tracks fun. Your friends do better than you and then you, in turn, have an incentive to get better.

EDIT: adding Cuban Legend, Benjamin, and jon bones tonight.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Thanks, that's great!

Here's a (maybe stupid) question: When a combo cashes in, you get the combo score times the multiplier, right? Also, the multiplier doesn't reset. But are 10 tricks in a combo worth more than those same tricks non-comboed? If not, what's the point of the combo, really? I mean, let's say each of those tricks is worth 1000 points, for simplicity's sake. Then 20*(10*1000) = 10*(20*1000) = 200000.

FAKE EDIT (just thought of this while writing the post): When doing a combo, you're effectively getting points for each trick twice (once when you first land it, and then again when the combo cashes in), right? And both times the score is multiplied by the current multiplier? Then I understand how all of this works, I think.

JambiBum

I'm not trying to go all Defense Force, but I'm really digging the more Xtreme tracks. They're meant to be more challenging and I think they're awesome.

Jambi, myself, and a bunch of other people did a custom level 3 wingsuit race event and it was a blast. We started out doing 6 minute times, but within a few runs, we got our times down to 3 minutes and then some intense competition started from there. I'm thinking that brand of competition is part of what makes these harder tracks fun. Your friends do better than you and then you, in turn, have an incentive to get better.

In explore I got my time down to 2:12 on that track. I was in shock.

We're already SSXtreme Bros, bro. I'm KidInsomnia and I'm also so disappointed at your challenge count or EXTREME LACK THEREOF.

;D

Only way to settle this is on JT2 in the next 12 hours.

Also, in case you didn't know, Custom Races have their own "Drop" on the Global Events mode. Races your friends (or friends of friends, etc) set up should be there.

I don't want to be Diamond Bracket on my race for ever!

:(

Oh hey so looks like it DOES cost you another Drop Cost if you want to try another run. Bye bye 400k on Trick Unsanctioned!

Thanks for telling me I had a score there, SSX!!

THAT WAS SO GREAT OF YOU.

Alright, played for a few hours for the first time. I like the game and I don't like it.

What probably bothers me the most is the overall speed increase w/ the random ass death pits or going off the side of a mountain to your death. Seem too frequent in the little that I've played.

Hope we get some old courses from Vanilla or Tricky as DLC or something.

Hale-XF11

Bear Claw now belongs to this guy right here.

edit: I see what you did there, MMaRsu!

edit: Aaaaaaaand, I took it back. Mine! MINE I SAY!

added you back.

Also this does scare me how EA is knows to close down MP services of games when a sequel hits, surely wouldnt like them turning off SSX mp when its eventual sequel comes around.

Would be nice if they would migrate our save file into the sequel like MassEffect to give us bonuses like credits, players or boards, and other smart bonuses so we dont feel so bad about missing the SSX2012 MP or maybe just to help us out with progression of the new game! :D

Tokubetsu

Like I said a couple pages ago, the most fun for me in Global Event so far, are the ridiculous Survive It tracks.

How can a human being get 30,000 distance on the Kilimanjaro Drop called Incoming in the Mawenzi Range?

My LVL10 flashlight with a battery mod only lasts me for a distance of 7,000?

Top Bottom