• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

The Chef

What could they have possibly been thinking doing reverse camera for avalanche levels?? This is such a catastrophic mistake. I feel no sense of scale or danger from it.
You'd think with the epic sound design in this game you would just hear the roaring bass of the rushing snow behind you. Carving and seeing a massive chunk of snow break away beneath you.
It would be SO intense if they didn't mess with the camera. Wtf were they thinking!?

What could they have possibly been thinking doing reverse camera for avalanche levels?? This is such a catastrophic mistake. I feel no sense of scale or danger from it.
You'd think with the epic sound design in this game you would just hear the roaring bass of the rushing snow behind you. Carving and seeing a massive chunk of snow break away beneath you.
It would be SO intense if they didn't mess with the camera. Wtf were they thinking!?

On the final level in WT there's an avalanche that occurs facing the normal way and it's no more scary or intense than flipping the camera around and riding toward the screen. They just don't know how to relate the feeling of being in an avalanche.

The Chef

On the final level in WT there's an avalanche that occurs facing the normal way and it's no more scary or intense than flipping the camera around and riding toward the screen. They just don't know how to relate the feeling of being in an avalanche.

What a disappointment. They had the potential to make that so unreal.

Addnan

Anybody having disk read problems on the xbox? Works perfectly on my elite, but keeps coming up as unrecognised disk on my 60GB white xbox.

Tane shouted "Hello Cleveland!" at the start of a race, got a good laugh out of me. Only line that have stood out to me so far.

So with PSN down, does the times I've accumulated during offline have any chance of getting uploaded to ridernet or do I have to do it again?

Just sent out about ten friend invites to people on the SSX Xbox list. Need some more people to compete against, or rather get embarrassed by.

So so ask the question again, whats the difference between Rocket Boards and Speed Boards? Hear me out please....

Which are best for racing? At first glance I'd say speed boards but really once I get into tricky in a race I never lose it since I manual all the way down the rest of the mountain while holding boost. So with that logic I assume Rocket boards are best for races right?

So so ask the question again, whats the difference between Rocket Boards and Speed Boards? Hear me out please....

Which are best for racing? At first glance I'd say speed boards but really once I get into tricky in a race I never lose it since I manual all the way down the rest of the mountain while holding boost. So with that logic I assume Rocket boards are best for races right?

If you're racing properly, you're boosting much more often than you're not. Boost is a more important stat than speed.

Hey, SHREDDING BROS!

I think this might fix your problem if you don't see a GE time/score you've already logged: just restart. Your times/scores should reappear and you don't have to pay the drop cost again!

One more time: don't try to redo your run because you'll be spending a drop cost you don't have to! Just restart!

Can someone test this out if they have the problem?

Restart what, my console? I wish we could manually re-sync Ridernet like we do when we add a friend while playing to sync scores...

well maybe that manual syncing we do has something to do with it? Why don't you ask the SSX devs to see wtf is up, we need answers as to whats causing this and what they can or are doing to fix this. This is not cool.

-now two of my times for a 1 Million Drop cost Events are gone, Goddamn it. Only way to tell I will still get payed is to wait it out.... and I have no idea If I'll get those investments back, geez this is frustrating.
-In fact Ridernet wont show me competing in any but 2 Global events now, It's deleted at least 9 of my times/scores.... the only 2 I can see are 1 that i entered today and one that I entered last night. FUCK.

If you're racing properly, you're boosting much more often than you're not. Boost is a more important stat than speed.

makes sense, thanks. Anyone else have anything else to contribute about that question? im looking to take into account other possibilities.

It wasn't a great game but I remember the avalanches in 1080 Avalanche for the GameCube being a lot cooler, somehow.

Teknoman

Tane shouted "Hello Cleveland!" at the start of a race, got a good laugh out of me. Only line that have stood out to me so far.

So with PSN down, does the times I've accumulated during offline have any chance of getting uploaded to ridernet or do I have to do it again?

"My manwich!" if you crash hard after grinding. Also lol at the "I hold forward?" medal. That actually answered one of the questions I had earlier.

makes sense, thanks. Anyone else have anything else to contribute about that question? im looking to take into account other possibilities.

The game has an opinion (via the developers). Buy a board that has +boost but a lower speed. Then also buy a board with +speed but lower boost. Then hit optimize before a race. See what the game thinks you should use.

JambiBum

I use a legendary speed board. Seems to go faster than a boost board.

I only have two more mountains in Africa left before I am gold complete on all 153 drops.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If you guys haven't participated in the global event on Serenity yet (the one with the big prize pool and a shitload of participants), and you care about earning badges/achievements/trophies, you may want to get on that before it ends. One of the badges is earned by "playing in an event with 50,000+ riders" and it's almost at that number. With the way that online communities die out, this may not happen again.

These may be two really dumb questions but I'm gonna ask them anyway.

1) When you are doing flips for big tricks, do you just do UP and DOWN? Or do you do always push to the diagonal? I read that Flips do more than spins, but I don't know if a diagonal counts as a flip or a spin, or both?

2) How do you do the UBER rail moves? To do a regular uber you have to hit (on xbox) RT and LT, but doesn't LT kick you off the rail? All I've been doing on the rails is spinning and bashing X twice, Y twice, B twice and repeating.

Sorry if dumb :(

Jamie OD

Does anyone know if your Global Event scores crossover to the Explore section? I will feel a little annoyed if some of the times I am pulling off don't count towards the Explore table.

Does anyone know if your Global Event scores crossover to the Explore section? I will feel a little annoyed if some of the times I am pulling off don't count towards the Explore table.

They don't. Yuo need to set new scores in Explore mode, and theyre assigned Gold, Silver, or Bronze (No Diamond or Plat)

Natural

I did Serenity for the first time today and got 16.5m on it.. I was like yea, not to shabby still.. Then went to Global Events and saw the top bracket is like 149m?! Madness.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Is getting the 1 million snowflake worth it with a level 8 character?
It's up to you. I probably would have done that in hindsight considering how quickly you can reach Level 8 just via normal playing.

I did Serenity for the first time today and got 16.5m on it.. I was like yea, not to shabby still.. Then went to Global Events and saw the top bracket is like 149m?! Madness.

Pretty sure he's using the rewind glitch.

JaseMath

I promise to never hide a geotag in a crevasse, off the side of a mountain, or someplace reachable only by a glitchy mistake. My geotags will always be realistically obtainable. This is my promise to you, my PSN friends.

Dany

Banned
It's up to you. I probably would have done that in hindsight considering how quickly you can reach Level 8 just via normal playing.

Pretty sure he's using the rewind glitch.

Whats the glitch anyways? Pressing it slows you down but what do you gain from doing so?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I use buttons.

I am finally getting the hang of it. And since you guys finally taught me one long trick is better than more tricks, my scores have roughly doubled.

Now I just need to get the hang of non duplicates. Its what's killing me now. I can build up a combo of 20 and make it down, but duplicates are killing me.

Also, I wish the combo score and total score were interchanged. I like seeing the combo score just below the rider so i know when its time to cash in. The total score is not as important.

And does the combo score go up more than just adding the individual tricks? In other words, say jump/trick 1 is worth 1000, and the jump/trick 2 is worth 1000, if I do each independently I get 2000 points. If I string them into a combo, do they total more than 2000? I guess what I mean is once you build up 20x combo, is it safer to cash in occasionally or still build up the combo as much as possible?

And as to current leaderboards, you can already tell the rewind glitch is affecting scores. On Serenity there is a clump of people at 30ish million, then one lonely guy at nearly 80 million.

I use buttons.

I am finally getting the hang of it. And since you guys finally taught me one long trick is better than more tricks, my scores have roughly doubled.

Now I just need to get the hang of non duplicates. Its what's killing me now. I can build up a combo of 20 and make it down, but duplicates are killing me.

Also, I wish the combo score and total score were interchanged. I like seeing the combo score just below the rider so i know when its time to cash in. The total score is not as important.

And does the combo score go up more than just adding the individual tricks? In other words, say jump/trick 1 is worth 1000, and the jump/trick 2 is worth 1000, if I do each independently I get 2000 points. If I string them into a combo, do they total more than 2000? I guess what I mean is once you build up 20x combo, is it safer to cash in occasionally or still build up the combo as much as possible?

And as to current leaderboards, you can already tell the rewind glitch is affecting scores. On Serenity there is a clump of people at 30ish million, then one lonely guy at nearly 80 million.
I got a legit 51 million on serenity in Trick it... I spammed the hell out of signature tricks without duplicates and never bailed down the entire run.... I've tried again and again to replicate it though but i doubt I'll ever get that high again now that I get nervous and bail under pressure.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Whats the glitch anyways? Pressing it slows you down but what do you gain from doing so?

Tapping the rewind button fattens your trick score. By what amount I'm not sure but the guy with 149 million on Serenity admitted to using it.

From what I've read, there's no real downside to cashing in your combo. You get a 1,000,000 point bonus for cashing in a 100x combo but the important thing is to keep the multiplier at 20x.

soultron

Banned
AndyD, don't cash your combos in because the higher your combo the bigger the combo bonus is. Your combo should be 100+ tricks (and no bails or rewinds) if you want to hang with the big kids. Your combo should only be cashing when you cross the finish line.

Chamber's right about the multiplier; always aim to keep it at 20x.

soultron

Banned
Sweet jesus 9->10 takes forever. Got the million snowflake on level 7 eddie and it took me to 9.5

Placing expensive level 9 Geotags is a really easy way to get from 9 to 10. Geotags give you XP for placing, so use this to your advantage! :p

Bgamer90

Banned
Still learning all the lingo associated with the game, what exactly does 'cashing in a combo' mean and how do you do it or avoid doing it?

It means to break your combo and "cash in" the points you got from it.

You should keep your combo going for the whole track during trick events to be on top.

Raxus

Placing expensive level 9 Geotags is a really easy way to get from 9 to 10. Geotags give you XP for placing, so use this to your advantage! :p

Also go hunting for geotags when you get the chance. You may lose the race/trick event but you will still make tons of cash/exp. I can earn upwards of 200k exp on a good geotag run.

80M turns out to be quite obtainable without the glitch. Not for me, though. :(

As for controls, I decided to give the stick a go in the tutorial and I've been sticking with it *rimshot* ever since. At first it was a bit difficult to get the exact tricks I wanted, but it just required more distinct and accurate inputs instead of lazily rolling the stick about.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm thankful to whoever dropped a geotag at the start of JT2. Literally fell into it as I dropped from the helicopter.

JaseMath

If I collect or place a geotag, do I need to finish the event to collect the XP? Will a restart or quitting lose me the XP?

Top Bottom