• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

soultron

Banned
How come the game isn't showing me on these brackets in global events and asking me to drop money on them to go for another run? wtf?

It's a glitch. Restart your system and your times will reappear. Don't try to repeat them because you'll waste credits on the drop cost.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did he skip the tutorial? Does he know how to read? There are tool tips and loading screens full of info.

The guy's hilarious.

He did it, but he's using sticks. I think for a newcomer buttons would be way easier to grasp and force less mashing so I think it was a bad idea to have stick above buttons when you start the game.

I saw in some other video you can hear him loudly clicking the stick around to do a bunch of tricks in one jump, but he mashes it so fast it actually had the character do NO tricks at all and just start up a bunch that never started, lol.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This psn maintenance has me jonesing for my SSX hit. Offline mode is just not the same.
*sits in corner and rocks back and forth*

Blu10

This game was orginal a bit of a let down.... and then I left world tour. Holy shit, I have not had this much fun with a game in years.

I have a question about the rival challenges. If my friends beat any of my times do they show up here, or do they have to favorite them or something?

"SSX is a White-knuckled thrill-ride" - shreddingbros.com

On a serious note, I've actually played so ahrd in some race global events and explore events that I have joint inflammation in my index finger, middle finger and thumb on my right hand...

it hurts when i move them so i went and got medicine

Bgamer90

Banned
Can't remember the last time that I've played a game that has made my hands cramp up before SSX. Maybe EA Skate... I'm not sure.

But yeah, this game is crack.

On a serious note, I've actually played so ahrd in some race global events and explore events that I have joint inflammation in my index finger, middle finger and thumb on my right hand...

it hurts when i move them so i went and got medicine

Yeah maybe I should have got this for PS3...R2 seems like it would take less effort to hold down than RT on 360.

my index finger hurts : (

Hale-XF11

My hands are like jello, but it's ok because I have the best race time ever now on Bear Claw with 0:58 as my recorded best. I can probably get it down to :56 since I managed that earlier in a global event.

soultron

Banned
Made a custom event on Rolling Thunder.

• 40k drop cost, bracket play, 3 days long.
  • No shwingsuits
  • Race it. Sorry, tricksters.
  • Friends of friends visibility.
  • No gear level cap.
  • COME AT ME, SHREDDING BROS.
Let's do this!

It's noon in Japan. Just sayin'...

Japan is the region with the fewest sales of PS3s. Just saying. Regardless, shutting down your online service on the weekend is just Sony being Sony now. They just can't seem to do much of anything right.

I seriously suck at using the wingsuit...any general tips?

Learn how to use the updraft to your advantage, and also know that just tapping the wing suit button is often all you need to get over a death hole.

Made a custom event on Rolling Thunder.

• 40k drop cost, bracket play, 3 days long.
  • No shwingsuits
  • Race it. Sorry, tricksters.
  • Friends of friends visibility.
  • No gear level cap.
  • COME AT ME, SHREDDING BROS.
Let's do this!

Terrible choice of courses. I'll most likely join because I'm a sucker for courses that make me want to smash shit.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I need to learn how to race in this game. All I'm doing right now is spending 2-3 hours a day in Serenity/Trickypedia and Mornin Tiger.

Tokubetsu

Event ends soon Soultron...and my name still isn't showing up on the list. If I don't get my money, im done. Swear to god.

soultron

Banned
I need to learn how to race in this game. All I'm doing right now is spending 2-3 hours a day in Serenity/Trickypedia and Mornin Tiger.

I'm not a trick it player at all but I can see why you did this. Did a clean run on Serenity today in the masssssive GE everyone's competing in and it was zen as fuck.

Racing definitely involves shutting off your trick brain. It's a whole 'nother game. That's one of the things I'm really loving this time around; each of the event types is like a completely different game within SSX.

I was doing some Survive It GEs today with the oxygen tank (which I hated in WT) and I was loving it -- if only for the fact that I was able to squeeze out a few meters more on every run. The feeling of smashing people's records is awesome.

I was doing some Survive It GEs today with the oxygen tank (which I hated in WT) and I was loving it -- if only for the fact that I was able to squeeze out a few meters more on every run. The feeling of smashing people's records is awesome.
Thin air GEs are the ones I really love because the usual winners who go 2 miles per hour can't win them XD

soultron

Banned
I used to use A to jump but I've really grown to like the stick for jump and tricks now.

I'm a huge Skate dude (Skate 2 was my this-gen SSX3, if that makes any sense) and I just can't do it.

I find it too hard to be precise. I'm sure it just takes practise, but I'm a buttons guy when it comes to SSX. I'm not using the Classic controls, but I'll never be able to shake buttons from my brain for an SSX game.

Still really neat that there's two live control schemes.

Tokubetsu

I'm a huge Skate dude (Skate 2 was my this-gen SSX3, if that makes any sense) and I just can't do it.

I find it too hard to be precise. I'm sure it just takes practise, but I'm a buttons guy when it comes to SSX. I'm not using the Classic controls, but I'll never be able to shake buttons from my brain for an SSX game.

Still really neat that there's two live control schemes.

Oh man, I loved Skate games. They shouldn't have released 3 so fast, though I appreciated hardcore mode.

Anyway, so are you using buttons for tricks too? Or just jumping?

Also, trying to get some world tour badges, for the "no rewinds during survive it events" one, for the events that im racing griff, do I have to use no rewinds AND beat him too? I ask because the NZ survive it is a 1 on 1 race with him as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0JO3KODLLQ

Song is fucking awesome. Great song for the last track of World Tour.

I really like the one that plays during the kilamanjaro survive it. Really epic coupled with the very literal "drop in."

soultron

Banned
Oh man, I loved Skate games. They shouldn't have released 3 so fast, though I appreciated hardcore mode.

Anyway, so are you using buttons for tricks too? Or just jumping?

Yeah, dude! I thought the same thing with Skate 3. Funny thing was that I won it while I was up at EAC visiting the studio for SSX community day. I just couldn't get into it like I did with Skate 2.

I appreciated hardcore mode too, but I felt you couldn't do some of the challenges with it enabled because the game was designed around wacky stuff that felt purposely unrealistic. I remember trying to do one of the first pool challenges and having to switch back to normal mode because the hardcore physics made it feel impossible to complete. I also didn't find the world in S3 as compelling as NSV in S2. I had a complete blast just setting up organic spots and sessioning the shit out of them for hours. Spot battles were amazzzzzing. Explore in SSX really reminds me of spot battles in Skate 2. :p

I'm bummed that we'll probably never see another Skate game (or at least, probably not for some time) but I'm so glad it got done. Definitely the best skateboarding series/game of all time, in my opinion.

I feel that snowboard grabs just don't translate that well for me, personally, since I've played Skate. In Skate, I felt that I was using the stick to shift my weight on the board (you'd even see your character's feet change positions while you were pre-loading) and the tactile sensation of flicking the stick matched up really well with popping your board into a flip trick. You were mostly using the sticks before you did the actual trick, which felt great. (In SSX, you're using it while in the process of performing the trick.) The motion of squeezing the triggers to do left- and right-handed grab tricks also matched up well, I thought. I'm sure they tested it, but I wish, in SSX, stick controls would have you using the L and R triggers to control your hands and the right stick to plant them on spots all over the board. I feel that you could plant your hands in one place and then roll the stick to tweak.

---

I use buttons for everything in SSX. I do not touch the right stick at all. I tried it for about 15 minutes in the demo and found I was doing much, much better with buttons. Just feels right to me.

Tokubetsu

Might give buttons a shot then. Even though the little bit I did with them in the demo felt more "accurate", I like the "Flow" of the stick better if that makes any sense.

Ketch

I appreciated hardcore mode too, but I felt you couldn't do some of the challenges with it enabled because the game was designed around wacky stuff that felt purposely unrealistic. I remember trying to do one of the first pool challenges and having to switch back to normal mode because the hardcore physics made it feel impossible to complete.

This exact thing happened to me too! Was it the one where you needed to trick from the pool onto the roof top and then back into the pool?

Skate 2 is one of my favorite games, I had it while I was deployed and it totally occupied me for like 6 months straight. First game since GTA Vice City that I 100%'d. I bought Skate 3 brand new and fairly recently for PS3 and it was a real let down for me.

On topic: SSX is freakin awesome... and you should except my friend request soultron so I can beat your times too =)

soultron

Banned
This exact thing happened to me too! Was it the one where you needed to trick from the pool onto the roof top and then back into the pool?

Yeah, it was that exact one. I couldn't properly build momentum for some reason. I felt really comfortable doing transitions and pumps in Skate so I didn't know where I was messing up! I tried for a few hours and then gave up. I've never really found very stuff to be fun in any skate boarding game (I'm a street sk8r IRL, brah.) so it was a special type of torture.

Skate 2 is one of my favorite games, I had it while I was deployed and it totally occupied me for like 6 months straight. First game since GTA Vice City that I 100%'d. I bought Skate 3 brand new and fairly recently for PS3 and it was a real let down for me.

I just felt that it was rushed. I think a year for polish and some real feature differentiation from Skate 2 would've made it a great game rather than an obligation. I wanted to love it, but Skate 2 just set the bar so high.

On topic: SSX is freakin awesome... and you should except my friend request soultron so I can beat your times too =)

What's your GT? I started to remove people who weren't actually playing SSX (but had added from the demo) and haven't really been accepting FRs since.

soultron

Banned
I bought the 12 track soundtrack largely because of this. Really like all of tracks that played during Deadly Descents.

The composed stuff is really fantastic. Heat Prelude is definitely my favourite because it sounds like the early menu music. (It might even be the same song, but my memory is playing tricks on me.)

Top Bottom