• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

-PXG-

AndyD, don't cash your combos in because the higher your combo the bigger the combo bonus is. Your combo should be 100+ tricks (and no bails or rewinds) if you want to hang with the big kids. Your combo should only be cashing when you cross the finish line.

Chamber's right about the multiplier; always aim to keep it at 20x.

This this this.

Also, try to do your signature trick between super ubers. This will ensure you get huge points. Also, spin while grinding.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
AndyD, don't cash your combos in because the higher your combo the bigger the combo bonus is.

I understand that when a combo cashes in you get its value times your multiplier, but what is the "combo bonus"? I'm trying to figure out why a 100 trick combo times 20 would be worth more than two 50 trick combos times 20.

EDIT: Ok, so there's actually a bonus added to the combo's total value when it cashes in, based on the number of tricks in the combo, but from what I've been able to find out it's only something like 300K for a 100+ trick combo. So, cashing in just once or a few times during a run doesn't really make that much of a difference; what's more important is that your multiplier is at x20 whenever a combo does cash in.

Just beat the World Tour. I didn't mind the Deadly Descents that much although white out was a total bitch, and I missed the jump to the helicopter on Death Zone and had to do the whole race again because rewind didn't work since I was technically finished. But they were nice changes to the formula.

The worst mountain range must be Africa, what a piece of shit. There were a lot of bad tracks (and I haven't tried them all yet) and a lot of awesome ones as well. So there is absolutely room for improvement. Now to wait for PSN to get back up again so I can start competing for real against my fellow riders.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Anybody know a good place to get the badge for staying airborne for 8 seconds?

colinp

Banned
Anyone have a link to soultron's post about tricks? I don't know how you keep a good line and maintain the combo and keep the tricky, etc... Sometimes I've got it and then I fall off a damn mountain. =/

Wow, had Diamond in Last to Hit even though I made a few mistakes. Got my time to 49.76. Then some fool beats me with just 49.07 and I figure there's 12 hours left I can beat that time easily later. Come back and PSN is down. Check for when PSN gets back up and it's exactly the time the event ends.

Congratulations on lucking out, you know who you are! XD
PSN stop doing this. Maintenance was planned for Thursday, keep it on Thursday.

Anybody know a good place to get the badge for staying airborne for 8 seconds?
Buckeye in New Zealand. Take the right path, then instead of going in the dark cave get on top of it and go even more right. There will be a ditch and across the ditch a snow path with a bunch of trees. Once you get there keep going straight, huge free fall plus a great shortcut.

JonCha

Played the demo just now and it was fantastic. I usually suck as these trick-based games but it was super easy to pick up, and I was doing a variety of tricks and not the same one over and over. I got 2:10 on the demo map; not sure how good that is.

I think post-Mass Effect 3 I'll get this. It's very nicely done. Here's hoping people on GAF are still playing it in, say, a month.

Twie

Wow, had Diamond in Last to Hit even though I made a few mistakes. Got my time to 49.76. Then some fool beats me with just 49.07 and I figure there's 12 hours left I can beat that time easily later. Come back and PSN is down. Check for when PSN gets back up and it's exactly the time the event ends.

Congratulations on lucking out, you know who you are! XD
PSN stop doing this. Maintenance was planned for Thursday, keep it on Thursday.

I saw your score there last night, I got up Platinum with 55 seconds (which I thought was pretty good lol), I guess I'm down to at least Gold now. :(

Anyone else who's using custom soundtracks find themselves hearing the same 6 or 7 songs over and over again? I must have imported almost 100 tracks into this game and they keep giving me the same few over and over again.

I saw your score there last night, I got up Platinum with 55 seconds (which I thought was pretty good lol), I guess I'm down to at least Gold now. :(
Definitely not a bad time. If I were to guess, the only things you need to do to get it any faster is 1) don't jump off the first jump leading into the dam, just ride off it 2)Grind the first rail in tricky state, not super tricky (for whatever reason grinding is faster in regular tricky) and 3) slide off the rails before they end without jumping to spend less time in the air. But yeah 55 seconds it a pretty good time for sure.

Anyone else who's using custom soundtracks find themselves hearing the same 6 or 7 songs over and over again? I must have imported almost 100 tracks into this game and they keep giving me the same few over and over again.
Not to that extent but I also imported a ton of tracks and hear some songs much more frequently then I do others. I attributed it to random chance but it's gotten to a point where I definitely agree there is something wrong with their shuffler.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, what happens if I go into Explore and set some new records, get some credits and XP, etc, now that PSN is down? Will all of that be synced once the game can connect to RiderNet again? I don't wanna do a bunch of stuff that's not gonna count later.

So, what happens if I go into Explore and set some new records, get some credits and XP, etc, now that PSN is down? Will all of that be synced once the game can connect to RiderNet again? I don't wanna do a bunch of stuff that's not gonna count later.

I wouldn't count on it, but think I'm going to get on SSX anyways just to listen to my music with that cool remix tech. Plus this is probably a good time to start getting other characters up to level 10.

Twie

Definitely not a bad time. If I were to guess, the only things you need to do to get it any faster is 1) don't jump off the first jump leading into the dam, just ride off it 2)Grind the first rail in tricky state, not super tricky (for whatever reason grinding is faster in regular tricky) and 3) slide off the rails before they end without jumping to spend less time in the air. But yeah 55 seconds it a pretty good time for sure.

Yeah, I saw the ghost ahead of me ridding off the side of the dam, so I started to do that.
I think I saw your ghost once and he was way faster than me fom the start, what lvl character were you using? I was using a lvl 9 Alex.
had no idea that grinding in regular tricky is faster, that's really weird.
Thanks or the tips! :)

Bgamer90

Banned

Hasn't been to that extent but yeah, some songs have been playing more than others for me.

Harmony feature works well too. Love how the game remixes the tracks.

I've been wondering this as well, and I guess people don't really know. It sucks though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I only place Geotags in death pits by accident. When I rewind (using classic controls) I sometimes hit x on accident.

Plus it isn't really as big of a deal as I thought it would be pre-release. You can still get the Geotags in death pits and then rewind out. It's kind of fun. :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
World Tour, all badges, DONE. It was a bit monotonous to go back and beat Griff on almost every peak five more times, but I just really wanted to see that 100%.

I still have not even touched Explore or Global Events. It's remarkable how much enjoyment I've gotten out the game so far without even really getting into the core of it. I love this game.

Yeah, I saw the ghost ahead of me ridding off the side of the dam, so I started to do that.
I think I saw your ghost once and he was way faster than me fom the start, what lvl character were you using? I was using a lvl 9 Alex.
had no idea that grinding in regular tricky is faster, that's really weird.
Thanks or the tips! :)
I use a level 10 Elise because I like to use the Legendary Rocket Boards that lack in speed and she has a plus 10 speed stat, though honestly I think when you're level 10 all the character stats become negligible but who knows. I also always buy 2 speed mods when I enter a race. Another reason you probably see my go way faster than you at the start is because I trick off the helicopter (I find Sqaure + Circle while holding R2 to tweak is good for an initial boost) and then push up on the left stick whenever I'm boosting on the ground.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What could they have possibly been thinking doing reverse camera for avalanche levels?? This is such a catastrophic mistake. I feel no sense of scale or danger from it.
You'd think with the epic sound design in this game you would just hear the roaring bass of the rushing snow behind you. Carving and seeing a massive chunk of snow break away beneath you.
It would be SO intense if they didn't mess with the camera. Wtf were they thinking!?

You wouldn't be able to see how the snow is forming behind you. You would just have to guess how close it is to you. I'm happy they went with the camera angle they went with.

They were trying to capture the feeling of these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNxRsIoN58 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3hno6NKD8

Just FYI if you go do the Trick It global event on Serenity (Himalayas/Makula) you'll get the badge for playing an event with 50K other people.

(Thanks to one of the devs who sent me a message about on Xbox Live)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn, I really wish they'd patch out the left stick deadzone in the PS3 version. It's not a big deal in events where you want to go fast, since you'll be pushing up on the stick most of the time during those anyway, but in events where fine control over your trajectory is more important than speed (and where going too fast might make things more difficult than they need to be) it's kind of a pain. It's really hard to feel like you're in control when the game doesn't even react until you've pushed the stick quite some distance from its resting position. This lack of response often makes me unintentionally overcompensate by pushing the stick too far, thus oversteering (usually straight into a bottomless pit).

JackEtc

Been playing all weekend a d finally everything's clicking. I've been setting golf medal scores all over and a few 1st place scores on my friends list. Feels great competing against all the SSX gaffers.

Also, how on earth do you favorite a drop? I can't find out how.

Twie

I use a level 10 Elise because I like to use the Legendary Rocket Boards that lack in speed and she has a plus 10 speed stat, though honestly I think when you're level 10 all the character stats become negligible but who knows. I also always buy 2 speed mods when I enter a race. Another reason you probably see my go way faster than you at the start is because I trick off the helicopter (I find Sqaure + Circle while holding R2 to tweak is good for an initial boost) and then push up on the left stick whenever I'm boosting on the ground.

Never thought of tricking right out of the helicopter, that's a good idea.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just FYI if you go do the Trick It global event on Serenity (Himalayas/Makula) you'll get the badge for playing an event with 50K other people.

(Thanks to one of the devs who sent me a message about on Xbox Live)
Yeah, this might be the only time to get that one unless they start doing events that are like a month long or something. The online community is probably at its peak right now.

Yeah, this might be the only time to get that one unless they start doing events that are like a month long or something. The online community is probably at its peak right now.

Yeah good point. Hey what do badges do for you? I assume you get some XP for them right?

vatstep

Yeah good point. Hey what do badges do for you? I assume you get some XP for them right?
I haven't noticed if they give you XP, but they're fun to collect, at least for a completionist like me. They also contribute to most of the achievements/trophies in the game.

I think the most ridiculous one calls for you to use the wingsuit for an hour total. That just sounds like you would have to play this game for a long, long time and do a LOT of non-trick events.

Tokubetsu

How come the game isn't showing me on these brackets in global events and asking me to drop money on them to go for another run? wtf?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Do other people prefer preloading jumps with X over using the stick? It just doesnt feel right to me to preload with the stick yet.

Top Bottom