• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Does anyone else not get ANY music for survival events in Explore? It's bizarre. I checked my volume and the playlist to make sure but there's nothing there unless I do a custom playlist.

Started playing as Griff and decided I'm going to get him to level 10 now. This game paints him in a bad light, but really it's SSX who's the jerks. Throw this guy out of their cool kids group for no good reason. Then he goes and lives the dream, gets paid for doing what he loves while team SSX is all "like no bro like selling out is like bad like don't do that" but come on money is money, gotta pay the bills. And then the contest forms and it's what, 9 against 1? Team SSX wins but each character only survived one deadly descent while Griff survived them all, that's take courage and heart. He's the true winner. Suck it SSX!

Haha ok it's just a game. All silliness aside, a much bigger reason is that Griff has an awesome special trick XD

Tokubetsu

Started playing as Griff and decided I'm going to get him to level 10 now. This game paints him in a bad light, but really it's SSX who's the jerks. Throw this guy out of their cool kids group for no good reason. Then he goes and lives the dream, gets paid for doing what he loves while team SSX is all "like no bro like selling out is like bad like don't do that" but come on money is money, gotta pay the bills. And then the contest forms and it's what, 9 against 1? Team SSX wins but each character only survived one deadly descent while Griff survived them all, that's take courage and heart. He's the true winner. Suck it SSX!

Haha ok it's just a game. All silliness aside, a much bigger reason is that Griff has an awesome special trick XD

Nah man. Griff is very clearly a douchebag.

JaseMath

I was playing him earlier, trying to get him to at least a 3, and grabbed his Epic Trick Suit. It looks a lot like...

ssx-deadly-descents.jpg

I've both Mac and Elise at 10 and I have no idea who to max next. I want to do Tane, but he's just so damn generic that I'll probably never use him. Maybe Moby...

Never had that problem, Neuro. Try restarting your system, perhaps.

Nah that wont work i dont think, this has happened multiple times across several days. It's OK, I'll just stick to my custom list.

So now I've got Elise up to 10, and Mac nearly there. Then the question becomes, do I use these two characters even though I can't level them up anymore, but they're the best and theoretically will get me the best scores/times, or use the other characters to level them up, even though I don't like them as much?

Decisions, decisions. =/

Tokubetsu

I was playing him earlier, trying to get him to at least a 3, and grabbed his Epic Trick Suit. It looks a lot like...

ssx-deadly-descents.jpg

I've both Mac and Elise at 10 and I have no idea who to max next. I want to do Tane, but he's just so damn generic that I'll probably never use him. Maybe Moby...

Ty is cool and says loads of funny shit. You just been grinding explore to get Elise to 10?

I have two questions:

1.) Can i unlock every piece of equipment for every rider or are different riders limited to different equipment?

2.) Have the riders different handlings and is Griff the best (he cost the most), or are all the same?

PSN is back up and with 2 hours left in my competition! Just enough time to get back to Diamond. 48.99s on Last to Hit. 12 million credits come to me XD

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I have two questions:

1.) Can i unlock every piece of equipment for every rider or are different riders limited to different equipment?

2.) Have the riders different handlings and is Griff the best (he cost the most), or are all the same?

1.) If you buy a board for a rider, only that rider can use that board.

2.) Very minor differences between them. Near the top of the character selection you can usually see the unique bonuses each rider has. Griff really isn't any better. IIRC, he's basically Zoe with a bonus to wingsuit instead of armor.

soultron

Banned
Holy shit. Headshot on Survive It just might be my new jam. That shit was so good. Maximum zen. The cold shade was always my favourite DD mechanic and this drop just solidified that!

Holy shit. Headshot on Survive It just might be my new jam. That shit was so good. Maximum zen. The cold shade was always my favourite DD mechanic and this drop just solidified that!
Damn it soultron, WHY U GOTTA OVERDO MY SURVIVE IS SCORE BY DOUBLE.

lol Not even 30 minutes after I posted mine in explore you literally went for it... nice, I'm gonna like you when I make your hands hurt just like mine trying to beat my revenge score jaja.

And yes it is a zen run... so relaxing on my aching hands.

I joined your Rolling Thunder race. Blech I hate cave tracks. So stupid. One wrong turn and you're just doing loops up and down walls.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ugh, WHY does the wingsuit just not deploy sometimes? Is that a function of the lower level ones or something — that they're unreliable? I swear it's not my timing, and I know it's not my controller.

1.) If you buy a board for a rider, only that rider can use that board.

2.) Very minor differences between them. Near the top of the character selection you can usually see the unique bonuses each rider has. Griff really isn't any better. IIRC, he's basically Zoe with a bonus to wingsuit instead of armor.

Thanks.

But with my first question i meant if every rider -for example- can get wingsticks, etc. Can every rider get every possible equipment, or are there riders who wont get wingsticks for example?

Ugh, WHY does the wingsuit just not deploy sometimes? Is that a function of the lower level ones or something — that they're unreliable? I swear it's not my timing, and I know it's not my controller.
Exactly why SSX is not simultaneous head-to-head. So many little things that can go wrong.

soultron

Banned
I joined your Rolling Thunder race. Blech I hate cave tracks. So stupid. One wrong turn and you're just doing loops up and down walls.

/evil genius laugh

Just follow my line and you should have a pretty easy time of things. I'm sure someone on here will blast my time to pieces soon enough.

IMPORTANT: Don't forget to take another run down Serenity in the trick it global event to get the "compete in a global event with at least 50,000 other players" badge. This opportunity may not come around again.

Love that this game actually has a good level of depth to it. I remember competing with my friend back and forth for first on Last to Hit no-wingsuit GE and struggling to hit 53.03s and when I did I thought I was blazing. Now I hit 48.99s, go and rub it in my bro's face and realized I should of waited till the event ended so he wouldn't know, then get it even further down to 48.69s. I goof up several times and hit 52 seconds which only a few days ago I would of been in disbelief of. Very curious to see how much further down we can take this as time goes by.

Nah that wont work i dont think, this has happened multiple times across several days. It's OK, I'll just stick to my custom list.

So now I've got Elise up to 10, and Mac nearly there. Then the question becomes, do I use these two characters even though I can't level them up anymore, but they're the best and theoretically will get me the best scores/times, or use the other characters to level them up, even though I don't like them as much?

Decisions, decisions. =/

What I'm doing, in my insane quest to 10 Everybody, is I have a Lvl 10 Zoe who I am spending pretty much all my money on right now to get her the best L 10 kit and I use her on all Global Events. I'm working my Elise up to 10 now (currently at 9) who I am using for my run through Explore. Usually I just stick with whatever score/time/dist she ends up with and move on, but if a friend is particularly on my heels, I'll whip out my Zoe just to knock them around. Once Elise hits 10 I might work on Eddie next. I realize I need a Level 10 Trick Master in my arsenal.

So I tried the demo and... I try to not hate this game only because it has SSX on it. The feel of the sloaps is incredibly bad, unprecise and frustrating to me.

Pancho

Qurupancho

For me, Sentinel on Survive It is the best one yet. You gotta be focused at all times

For me, Sentinel on Survive It is the best one yet. You gotta be focused at all times
I love Sentinel, very fun. My best is only 5 runs down, did the first 4 without rewinds and just lost my peace at 5. Do not try new things especially when it's foggy, lol. That left branch starts out so easy and you get in a groove and then it goes crazy on you, gotta stick right.

bridegur

I'm loving almost every part of this, but the Africa tracks just seem like a waste. Having the loading screen tell you "Don't spin or go too fast!" is essentially like saying "Don't play this game the way you're meant to!"

I'm loving almost every part of this, but the Africa tracks just seem like a waste. Having the loading screen tell you "Don't spin or go too fast!" is essentially like saying "Don't play this game the way you're meant to!"
I spin and flip even more. You tell me not to do something I do it. The copter pilot tells me to stick left I go right. Though I can agree Africa tracks are the least fun, but maybe I just need to ride there more and get the feel for it.

soultron

Banned

Or, "play the game in a whole different way!"

Racing and tricking have two different required skillsets, I enjoy the addition of a third.

NJShadow

Is getting the 1 million snowflake worth it with a level 8 character?

I wouldn't get the 1m credit snowflake with a level 8 character, since the snowflake will take pretty much any level 1 character you use straight to level 9. Use it on a low level character that you'd like to see pumped straight up to the top.

Lo_Fi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do I use the custom soundtrack feature? I had heard that the game would modify the music volume on the fly (such as lowering the volume of the music when I'm in the air, like it does with the in-game soundtrack), but it doesn't seem to be doing that. When I get Super Tricky, the Trick song does play over my music, but I can't tell if that's because the Super Tricky song is really loud or if it is actually working.

For reference, I am playing music by popping up the xbox menu, navigating to media, and streaming music from my PC. Then I turn up the custom soundtrack volume in the settings to 10.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do I use the custom soundtrack feature? I had heard that the game would modify the music volume on the fly (such as lowering the volume of the music when I'm in the air, like it does with the in-game soundtrack), but it doesn't seem to be doing that. When I get Super Tricky, the Trick song does play over my music, but I can't tell if that's because the Super Tricky song is really loud or if it is actually working.

For reference, I am playing music by popping up the xbox menu, navigating to media, and streaming music from my PC. Then I turn up the custom soundtrack volume in the settings to 10.

You have to rip the music directly onto the hard drive, make a playlist out of the tracks, then go into the music option in the game and select whether you'd like to use your playlist for Race, Trick, Survival, and/or menus.

red731

Ok, so I've been spending late Friday and all weekend with this game.
I must say, that I really dig everything and am having so much fun.
That rush and satisfaction when you beat someones other time is undescribable.

When I see finish line, I am "looking" behind my back, checking scores(sometimes its even changing near the finish!) and then finishing holy cow, thats one awesome feeling.

Favourite mountains are Himalayas, Rockies, Siberia.
Got 2x10lvl and 2x8lvl chars with more up and coming.

I was just racing, not much tricking, but man - those survive events get my blood pumping - add perfect custom music and I am on the edge!

Beating someone havent been so much fun since, since I dont even remember!

I must say I am kinda addicted to beating your times and getting better.

Also wingsuit....HOLY SHIT
I told my friend that even if I would be blind, I can still hear that he is flying since the music gets "harmonized" hehe.

Shred everything

ed: Would change something...like buying mods, selecting one and then having to select empty mod slot and select the other mod.
Pressing r2 and l2 to change them would be better.
Same as with scoreboards after you finish - there should be option to scroll through leaderboard with face buttons everywhere, not just on select track.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Serenity continues to be so damn good. Saw my 38 million wasn't holding up in the global event anymore(dropped from plat to gold) so I managed to get up to 42 million with a COMPLETELY different line. I was constantly boosting up the side hills and barely ever on the main "track".

Ketch

So I've been trying to gold medal every track in explore and some of them are really frustrating. How are you supposed to gold medal the trick it competitions when there are no jumps or anything or if you are in a cave the whole time? It's like no matter what range there's always one mountain where I'm like F that event type.

colinp

Banned
In World Tour when the CPU people you ride with on say Trick Events, when they get 30,000 points within the first five seconds of dropping... WTF?!?! WHat am I doing wrong?!?!

edit: Not just 30,000, like 200,000+ within the first ten seconds...

red731

In World Tour when the CPU people you ride with on say Trick Events, when they get 30,000 points within the first five seconds of dropping... WTF?!?! WHat am I doing wrong?!?!

edit: Not just 30,000, like 200,000+ within the first ten seconds...

Jump and do one trick out of heli - turbo over flare and prewind before kicker - hold left stick diagonaly(spiny flips) - press circle and hold triangle(or any double click variation) - land - get tricky - repeat on everything everywhere - uber tricky and ubers.

+pressing nose or tail buttons if you see chevrons hitting tricky and loosing combo.

When you have snowboard aligned with wall, you can jump of the wall to oppossite direction or anywhere.

soultron

Banned
I don't think you can see someone's line in global event. Unless I'm missing something.

You can set it so that ghosts don't appear (thus giving away lines) but I'm pretty sure I set it so that you can see ghosts in my custom GE!

You always see the ghost of the person you need to beat in order to get into the next bracket.

So, say you've finished a run and you finish in the Gold bracket and I've already placed on the very bottom of the Platinum bracket, my time/score will show up in the bracket "quick summary" at the end of the run. You'll also see my ghost because beating my ghost will get you into the next bracket. This doesn't really matter in trick it because it shows you my line but not necessarily what tricks I'm doing; in a race event seeing the next bracket up's ghost is very important because it acts as a tangible benchmark. Beat that ghost and you're into the next bracket.

red731

Am I the only one that thinks there should be two leaderboards in explore?
One with wingsuits and one without...

Also first person view when using wingsuit, I love to be in the air and drifting down the course or inside mountains like in Africa.

SadAli

Neo Member
Got to the 5th range in World Tour before finally succumbing to temptation and switching over to the Explore/GE modes. I didn't think that any of the DDs I took on to that point were that hard they were just not particularly fun and the thought of the headlamp and pulse goggles wasn't filling me full of excitement. I actually enjoyed the avalanche one though.

Absolutely loving the Explore mode though there are whole countries I haven't even played on yet due to my obsessions about beating friends on a specific track. I may have to concede defeat and move on though as some of you I've added from the PSN list are putting up scores/times that make me feel truly appalling at this game.

I'm currently using the right stick and also suffering from the duplicate trick problem, it's particularly prevalent when I'm in Super Tricky mode and I may have to consider switching to buttons. Using the stick feels a lot more natural and comfortable to me though and it may be a hard habit to break.

Top Bottom