• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

I know there is a Google doc with gamertags of people who play but I I figured the prominent and constant players still post/lurk here so please add me. XBL- Exilexc

Yup, that's what this guy is using. I don't see how it's not legit. I mean, if you think that's not legit than a lot of the things I do on Patagonia aren't legit. It's just kind of lame because there's a lot less technical work on this line but it's faster.

After some reconsideration, there's some invisible walls in this game already, most notably in Alaska. This should be another invisible wall.

It's weird... I used to love racing but I don't really have the patience to hunt for the best lines anymore. I'll try a track a few times to get a solid run, but getting a really good time would mean investigating the different routes and testing out different combinations of jumps and rails. I like improvisation much more and tricking allows me to do pretty much whatever I want as long as I manage to stay in control.

Racing is still fun though. I love boosting at warp speed and pulling off great tricks from low jumps. I just need a GPS. And fewer Bottomless Pits of Eternal Oblivion.

Minamu

Welp, Mt Fuji won't show up in Explore it seems :(

I'm also having massive trouble with all race events :( I can't help myself from doing too many tricks xD

bs000

:lol again at Batty saying it would take people forever to get tens of millions.

I can't believe I ever considered buying 10 mil with ms space bucks D:

No they are global just not cross-platform, lol.

I was gonna post a pic of me banking 13,000,000 this morning, AND I THOUGHT I WAS BANKING LOL.

COT DAMN, add me on XBL so i can see what global events you play in, bro.

Pretty much anything that has a 1-2 mil drop fee with a decent amount of players in it. I think if you just get at least silver you'll make some profit. I got 13 mil from platting just one event.

Are there any events that force LVL1-Equipment? I need a really slow board for a few SURVIVE-ITs so I don't slip off the track too much with LVL10-boards!

Slow and easy wins survives the race...

MUAHAHAH... please help me guise :)

Can you set the max gear level in custom events?

The dev "White Snowflake" (looks more gold to me) doesn't show up when you're online most times because there is only a set number of GeoTags that can be on each map at once. When you're online the user GeoTags are all over the place.

Yesterday when PSN went down I was offline and had a lot of fun collecting tons of the developer GeoTag snowflakes, they finally all showed up because I wasn't online for once. Got the 200 badge.

So, Soultron, or anyone who goes to MerquryCity or keeps up with the dev's chatter...are they fixing the Classic control scheme rotation "bug" or what?
I want to know if I should get used to Standard or just keep waiting for a patch.

All my highest scoring friends in Trick It are using Standard. I can't even get near those scores with Classic at the moment.

soultron

Banned
Can you set the max gear level in custom events?

You can! You can also set things like no rewinds (good for trick runs), and no wingsuits (good for race runs) if you're so inclined! c:

So, Soultron, or anyone who goes to MerquryCity or keeps up with the dev's chatter...are they fixing the Classic control scheme rotation "bug" or what?
I want to know if I should get used to Standard or just keep waiting for a patch.

All my highest scoring friends in Trick It are using Standard. I can't even get near those scores with Classic at the moment.

I was under the impression that it was fixed in the final game. Todd Batty even said as much when the concern was raised by those who played the demo using Classic controls.

However, I'm sure there are a lot of things being fixed. I've spoken to some of the devs and they said that they're paying close attention to things and are aware of lots of stuff. Patches need to be whipped up first, tested, and then sent to Sony and Microsoft for certification so the process takes a bit of time.

As far as actual dates, I have no idea. The devs are reading this thread so you can be sure your concerns are being read, but if you want to be more direct, try making (or finding) topics on Merq because the players there are purposely keeping tracks of bugs/exploits for the developers so they can be fixed faster!

xbhaskarx

Tried the demo... who knew the exact same trees existed on mountains throughout the world... it's like the developers have never even been to Everest base camp....

soultron

Banned
Tried the demo... who knew the exact same trees existed on mountains throughout the world... it's like the developers have never even been to Everest base camp....

It's almost like they weren't concerned about you differentiating different species of trees while zipping past them at 160 MPH!

I kid, I kid.

balddemon

Banned
I enjoyed them all except for the pulse goggles DD. I was going in expecting to hate most of them because of most people's reactions, but I was surprised to find out that they really weren't that bad. Nice to be done with it though.

Add me if you haven't. PSN ID: Halelujah
Pretty much, yeah. Bout to get on, will add.
Even the Whiteout on Aoraki? That had me raging at the TV last night.

I think I'm about to do that one, so I'll let you know :p Zombies and the Ice DD had me raging hard though lol

--

Also, what's the "bug" people are mentioning with the Classic controls?

So I guess the dude in the orange suit from the original reveal trailer got axed, huh? That's a real shame, they should have kept him in there as an secret unlock.

soultron

Banned
So I guess the dude in the orange suit from the original reveal trailer got axed, huh? That's a real shame, they should have kept him in there as an secret unlock.

Are you sure he's gone? When you see the loading screen with the ghost on it, take a closer look. :p

InertiaXr

It's almost like they weren't concerned about you differentiating different species of trees while zipping past them at 160 MPH!

I kid, I kid.

Didn't they say in all the pre-release hype that they were modeling real world mountain ranges from Google Earth, but now you are saying that having the right real world tree species in said mountain ranges is not important? What the fuck are you on?

The developers should of really paid attention to all the possible places the rider can go. A lot of skill is being removed on a few tracks, riding outside slopes making it a drag race/who happened to find the best board.

soultron

Banned
Didn't they say in all the pre-release hype that they were modeling real world mountain ranges from Google Earth, but now you are saying that having the right real world tree species in said mountain ranges is not important? What the fuck are you on?

They were importing real world topography data not flora and fauna details. Sorry, brother. Even then, that topography data was heavily modified and sculpted to suit gameplay purposes.

Terrain details were taken into account in regions that don't have trees in real life like Antarctica, however.

The developers should of really paid attention to all the possible places the rider can go. A lot of skill is being removed on a few tracks.
How do you mean?

If you're talking about exploits I'd say it's impossible for any QA team to find all of them, compared to hundreds of thousands of people.

Tokubetsu

So whos the major competition on PSN. I accidently tried adding soultron forgetting he was XBL .lol.

Sad thing is, Soultron isn't even the only one dominating my friends list. Between Soultron, Jambi, and Mass Xtortion, I'm just lucky I can make it into top 5 on my leaderboards.

soultron

Banned
Sad thing is, Soultron isn't even the only one dominating my friends list. Between Soultron, Jambi, and Mass Xtortion, I'm just lucky I can make it into top 5 on my leaderboards.

I'm really not all that great at the game. I'm flattered though. Haha. :p

I'll take anyone's money on Rolling Thunder in a race though.

How do you mean?

If you're talking about exploits I'd say it's impossible for any QA team to find all of them, compared to hundreds of thousands of people.

I mean just riding the outside slopes where's it's pretty much all flatland so you just drag race. In a few tracks they have invisible walls, I don't see why they couldn't add more invisible walls to force you to ride in the designed areas.

tsigo

I wish they would change the "Place Geotag" button to R1/RB, I've placed a few by accident because it doesn't go away immediately when you stop rewinding and I need to prime a jump (using buttons).

Here is a good example of why invisible walls are needed. Not my best time but you get the point (and you'll argue that since it's not my best time then there's still skill required in it. And yes, there is. But no where near that of actually racing the way races were intended). Also this doesn't just apply to wingsuits, there's some border-slopes you can ride on your board in a some drops as well that completely bypass huge segments of the drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO8uRlVvU_0
Apologies for the poor quality, I don't have any other real means of recording gameplay. This is just to get a point across.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ugh, I was hoping you'd say they were. That means it probably sold, what, 150k WW? Tops?

(50k 360, 42k PS3, plus some who never go online.)

:(

Maybe a late reply but uh, there were 92k people in the Serenty GE during EU prime time today on 360, back down to 54k as of an hour ago.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I give up on ever finishing the Death Zone race. I can make it to the end no problem but he always beats me by at least 10 seconds. I'm always ahead of him until the tunnel then he zooms off.

I played Death Zone like 10 times and he always beat me by 10-15 seconds. Then I played it and I beat him by 10 seconds. I have no idea what I did, but I'll take it. :p

soultron

Banned
Maybe a late reply but uh, there were 92k people in the Serenty GE during EU prime time today on 360, back down to 54k as of an hour ago.

So rad. I've never been on to see numbers that high! Usually I'm on at funky hours and Serenity is hovering around ~60K.

Fannnnnnnnnnnnntastical said:
I played Death Zone like 10 times and he always beat me by 10-15 seconds. Then I played it and I beat him by 10 seconds. I have no idea what I did, but I'll take it. :p

You tapped into the zen section of your race-brain. :p

Ketch

Here is a good example of why invisible walls are needed. Not my best time but you get the point (and you'll argue that since it's not my best time then there's still skill required in it. And yes, there is. But no where near that of actually racing the way races were intended). Also this doesn't just apply to wingsuits, there's some border-slopes you can ride on your board in a some drops as well that completely bypass huge segments of the drop.

Apologies for the poor quality, I don't have any other real means of recording gameplay. This is just to get a point across.

damn that pretty much ruins my favorite track in the game then. I like being able to use the wingsuit to find shortcuts,but that's too much and probably not what the devs wanted.. hopefully they fix it, or global events will end up being pointless.

Is that ps3 or xbox version? I have a lvl 10 epic wingsuit and it just falls out of the sky when I run out of meter.

damn that pretty much ruins my favorite track in the game then. I like being able to use the wingsuit to find shortcuts,but that's too much and probably not what the devs wanted.. hopefully they fix it, or global events will end up being pointless.

Is that ps3 or xbox version? I have a lvl 10 epic wingsuit and it just falls out of the sky when I run out of meter.
PS3. I'm using an aerodynamic wingsuit for speed. I'm falling just as fast as you probably do when the meter runs out but you can't tell because I'm also moving very fast horizontally.

Ketch

PS3. I'm using an aerodynamic wingsuit for speed. I'm falling just as fast as you probably do when the meter runs out but you can't tell because I'm also moving very fast horizontally.

Yea, I wonder if they can even fix it.... or want to... I was thinking about it and how would QA not find something like that? I guess it's possible, there are a lot more people playing now to look for shortcuts like that but in a racing game you'd think they would have been really exhaustive finding exploitative shortcuts like that one.

Pancho

Qurupancho

Without opening the link I knew it was any of the variants in Patagonia that end in that segment. I saw your ghost and I haven't been able to replicate it.

Yea, I wonder if they can even fix it.... or want to... I was thinking about it and how would QA not find something like that? I guess it's possible, there are a lot more people playing now to look for shortcuts like that but in a racing game you'd think they would have been really exhaustive finding exploitative shortcuts like that one.
Surely they can fix it, just add invisible walls. They already have them implemented in a lot of areas. Even in that drop from the link there are barriers (notice how during the first jump I sway a little the right before plunging down? That's because just a little to the left is an invisible barrier that classifies me as dead if I pass through it).

Ketch

Surely they can fix it, just add invisible walls. They already have them implemented in a lot of areas. Even in that drop from the link there are barriers (notice how during the first jump I sway a little the right before plunging down? That's because just a little to the left is an invisible barrier that classifies me as dead if I pass through it).

Yea but can you add an invisible wall with a title update? How big of an auto update can they make? I guess they could just put out a new version of the track as like a free dlc and then force anyone who goes online to download it before competing in global events.

Yea but can you add an invisible wall with a title update? How big of an auto update can they make? I guess they could just put out a new version of the track as like a free dlc and then force anyone who goes online to download it before competing in global events.
You can make level updates (at least with most games) as patches that you are forced to download as soon as you boot up the game. Problem is even a little level update is a big download, and multiple updates to the same level is about the same size so they should probably wait to find as many fixes as possibly. Also patches can get expensive so might as well wait even longer and do as much in one patch as possible.

I just hope something is done. Sure we could just make no-wingsuit events but I like the wingsuits, just not when they can "cheat" like that. And that doesn't even cover other level exploits that don't involve any special gear.

Top Bottom