• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat |OT|

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Yeah quick load times are less than a minute after initial load and menus open instantly.

On a Q9550 @ 3GHz and a 4870x2, I'm getting an average of 45-50 fps with 8x edge detect AA and 16x AF, etc. Everything set to max in the game, including HBAO.

This is by far more optimized than clear sky and less buggy than any Stalker game in the series. Grass draw distance is pretty lame, agreed.

I also use the S.M.R.T.E.R. and atmosfear mods for COP, which make the game more gorgeous (aka more like Clear Sky with its god rays and more dramatic sunsets and nights) and better game balance and more challenging Zone encounters).

Loving this game. Will post my screenshots soon.

JoeMartin

Yeah I'm on playthrough #2 now, using the S.M.R.T.E.R. mod this time.

And yes, grass draw distance is incredibly lame. I can't believe there isn't some way to adjust it though.

Agnates

Banned
Sunbeams seen through tree tops or clouds etc. Popular from Crysis.

Anyway. Is there a way to make vsync work in this game? Seems it just overworks the card for no reason, making the fan spin up to max from the moment you start up the game, and even more so looking @ menus than the actual game... Weird...

JoeMartin

The SMRTER mod definitely makes it more difficult.

You see all tiers of stalker and mutant right from the getgo (which is both bad and good as it gives you early access to a lot of nice weapons, but you have to not get shot in the face by the 5 Monolith guys with SVDs first). Radiation and Psy radiation kill you very very quickly if you don't have protection. Anomalies actively move. Stuff like that. Oh and mutant cats.

EDIT: And I got lucky and got the Clear Sky armor from Nimble on my first try, so it's been pretty bearable for me.

How does this game compare to Clear Sky? yesterday I was wishing I bought stalker during the steam deal so I can get pripyat for $20, then I realized I technically already had stalker on steam because of the THQ pack I got last thanksgiving. I played both stalker and clear sky and wasn't a big fan of clear sky.

Zeliard

Linkzg said:
How does this game compare to Clear Sky? yesterday I was wishing I bought stalker during the steam deal so I can get pripyat for $20, then I realized I technically already had stalker on steam because of the THQ pack I got last thanksgiving. I played both stalker and clear sky and wasn't a big fan of clear sky.

Clear Sky felt a good deal more streamlined, as far as what I've played. Pripyat feels more like the crazy oldschool PC game that you'd expect from these guys, except that it's not a buggy mess like SoC was.

In Pripyat you start off by them just sticking you in the map after a cinematic and saying "go", with little explanation of anything and little direction. That's the type of shit I love and miss, personally. Too much hand-holding in games these days.

This game combines elements of both SoC and Clear Sky, overall, but ultimately still feels a lot more like the original to me. I do kinda miss the random bandit fights, though. This time around when you cross a group of bandits, they don't seem likely to attack you unless you attack them (unless this changes further in). In SoC, the tension spiked every time I spotted a group of bandits, because I knew if they saw me, shit was on.

JoeMartin

CoP is very much more like ShoC.

It keeps the functional parts of Clear Sky (weapon/armor upgrade system & anomaly scanners (with a very nifty new scanner), guides that function as a quick travel, etc etc), but the story and game structure is very much more reminiscent of ShoC in that half the time you're just wandering around the zone doing your own thing (running into story elements/fights/places to explore of your own volition), and hitting up the main quests when you feel like it. The faction system was gutted (even though you can vaguely align yourself with certain factions) and the whole territorial conflict thing along with it.

I just paid 40k RU for clear sky armor is this good? I also find the shot gun does zero damage against those fucking invisible guys that can suck your brains out. Wasted 40 shots to kill three the gas didn't kill them all =(.

Using the AtmosFear mod, the draw distance is awesome:
ss_tom_02-13-10_19-32-05_zaton.jpg

Technosteve said:
I also find the shot gun does zero damage against those fucking invisible guys that can suck your brains out. Wasted 40 shots to kill three the gas didn't kill them all =(.
Most of those shots missed but they do have a lot of health which makes it that much harder. Personally shotgun was the best way to take them out, a few shells to the face and they are down. Most satisfying moment was when one attacked me in a marsh so you could see the splashes in the water coming at you and you could drop it before it got anywhere near.

kamspy

Hey STALKER GAF, ever since I installed Complete 2009 on SoC, I get 2 second stutters.

It's almost like lag in an online game. Game will run fine until it starts. Once it starts it happens approx every 3 minutes. Sometimes it won't start happening and I can play for 2-3 hours without encountering it.

Lowering graphic settings does nothing for the stuttering. My frame rate is above 60 aside from these pauses.

I've also tried disabling all my OCs and it didn't help.

Phenom IIx4 955 BE (3.6Ghz OC)
HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 (OC to 900 core/ 1000 mem)
4GB DDR2 1066 (running dual channel, ungagned at SPD timing for the frequencey 6-6-6-18)
Vista 32

I've also tried disabling Catalyst A.I. and d3dOverrider.

I didn't install Complete 2k9 until around driver 9.10, so I don't know if it's a driver issue. I'm on 10.1 now and it's still happening.

Dennis

Banned
kamspy said:
Hey STALKER GAF, ever since I installed Complete 2009 on SoC, I get 2 second stutters.
I think I had something similar when playing Complete 2009 though I don't remember how frequently the stutters occured. I never did manage to solve the problem but I guess in the end I just wasn't to bothered.

Have you defragged your harddrive recently ?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I get them also, doesn't STALKER stutter on it's own anyway? If so I'm sure it's just the stress from all the stuff Complete adds, same way quick save pauses the game for a few seconds rather than being instant.

panda21

kamspy said:

It's almost like lag in an online game. Game will run fine until it starts. Once it starts it happens approx every 3 minutes. Sometimes it won't start happening and I can play for 2-3 hours without encountering it.

Lowering graphic settings does nothing for the stuttering. My frame rate is above 60 aside from these pauses.

I've also tried disabling all my OCs and it didn't help.

Phenom IIx4 955 BE (3.6Ghz OC)
HD 4770 512MB GDDR5 (OC to 900 core/ 1000 mem)
4GB DDR2 1066 (running dual channel, ungagned at SPD timing for the frequencey 6-6-6-18)
Vista 32

I've also tried disabling Catalyst A.I. and d3dOverrider.

I didn't install Complete 2k9 until around driver 9.10, so I don't know if it's a driver issue. I'm on 10.1 now and it's still happening.

i think i have this problem with CoP, but SoC with complete 2009 has been fine (i'm also on 10.1).

DennisK4 said:
Your screenshot highlight one of the problems with CoP - it looks so barren.
Are you talking about locations worth visiting or npcs? Because you can see bandits and a snork in that screen, and there probably are a bunch of dogs off in the distance that are too small to see.

kamspy

DennisK4 said:
I think I had something similar when playing Complete 2009 though I don't remember how frequently the stutters occured. I never did manage to solve the problem but I guess in the end I just wasn't to bothered.

Have you defragged your harddrive recently ?

Yeah I defrag weekly and keep my gaming and OS drive around 50% capacity (500GB, 10,000RPM).

I'm sticking with the mod though. I've read things about Float32 messing with the -noprefetch command and this issue in general, but I've read conflicting reports about Float32 being included in Complete 2009.

I *think* the key is going to be finding a way to disable Float32 within the Complete 2009 mod.

Dennis

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Are you talking about locations worth visiting or npcs? Because you can see bandits and a snork in that screen, and there probably are a bunch of dogs off in the distance that are too small to see.
The barren stretches of hills and ground. No, the viewdistance is fine, you can see Stalkers and wildlife for miles.

kamspy

I've found that lowering the grass density to almost nil makes the game look much better.

You won't miss all the little grass clusters and the lack of pop-in makes for a better overall IQ imo.

Solo

Zeliard said:
Clear Sky felt a good deal more streamlined, as far as what I've played. Pripyat feels more like the crazy oldschool PC game that you'd expect from these guys, except that it's not a buggy mess like SoJ was.

In Pripyat you start off by them just sticking you in the map after a cinematic and saying "go", with little explanation of anything and little direction. That's the type of shit I love and miss, personally. Too much hand-holding in games these days.

This game combines elements of both SoJ and Clear Sky, overall, but ultimately still feels a lot more like the original to me. I do kinda miss the random bandit fights, though. This time around when you cross a group of bandits, they don't seem likely to attack you unless you attack them (unless this changes further in). In SoJ, the tension spiked every time I spotted a group of bandits, because I knew if they saw me, shit was on.

SoC, buddy :lol

JoeMartin

Technosteve said:
I just paid 40k RU for clear sky armor is this good? I also find the shot gun does zero damage against those fucking invisible guys that can suck your brains out. Wasted 40 shots to kill three the gas didn't kill them all =(.

Clear Sky armor is my armor of choice. Above average firearm/physical protection, above average anomaly protection, and the only armor with psi protection iirc (which when combined with a nice helmet makes you more or less impervious to psi damage). It's light and upgradeable to 4 artifact slots (which is all you'll need for the compass/bubble + oasis/bubble combo). It's just all around good.

Also the helmet that comes with it is the best helmet in the game as it's the only one with an infrared scanner (which marks all human targets on the minimap whether you've seen/heard them or not), which is a life saver slash makes your life easier.

Dennis

Banned
I have played enough with both vanilla and the AtmosFear 1.2 mod to come to the conclusion that the mod immensly improves the experience.

Screenshot below are with AtmosFear 1.2, 4xAA, Global Illumination (photons = 64), various tweaks to user.ltx incl. LOD tweaks, DX10 Ehanced Dynamic Lighting.

I tried installing the Atmosfear mod but it crashed my game which was working fine before applying the mod. It also made the intro movies disappear but the sound was still there. So now I play vanilla again, it's a shame because the screenshots here look really good.

I did apply the Better Weapons, More Realistic (1.1) mod because I can't hit anything without it. It double sucks because other human characters usually kill me within two shots >_>

Thought this was awesome
Stalker.jpg

This part freaked me the fuck out I am Legend style
Stalker2.jpg

So far I'm loving the game(6 hours in). Easily better than CS. SoC with oblivion mod is probably impossible for any game to beat, but still this is a great effort.

JoeMartin

I love the art style of the Stalker games for the same reason I love the art style of the Half Life 2 games. Fidelity achieved through appropriately organic color palette, attention to detail in texture work, and lighting to match.

Add all the newest rendering and texture mapping tech you want, nothing beats a solid foundation in the basics when it comes to suspension of disbelief.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
My Stalker: COP screenshots. All at 1920x1200, most of them at 8xAA (I switched around before I settled in at 8x) with all settings to max and the SMRTER and Atmosfear mods. DX10.

13yknxc.jpg

14do6iu.jpg

BeeDog

BeeDog said:
So what's the consensus so far? I've only played the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which was good but held back by many things (crappy end game, poor quests with time limits, crappy itemization/loot, narrow/small levels, broken economy system etc.). How much better is CoP? Does it hold up all the way to the end? Is it much more free-form? Does exploring/doing quests reward you well this time?

Anyone willing to answer these more specific questions? :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, guess I did miss something. Render modes. How can I set them/check which one is appropriate for my system?

BeeDog said:
Does it hold up all the way to the end?
Can't speak for the end of the game yet.

Does exploring/doing quests reward you well this time?

The stashes this time around are very rewarding makes doing side quests way more worth it. There is a side quest you do concerning an investigation of the disappearance of a bunch of Stalkers that has an amazing unexpected outcome. Don't want spoil it but it does involve a suicide taking place right in front of you.:D So awesome.

Is it much more free-form?
The game a massively open.

I've only played the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which was good but held back by many things (crappy end game, poor quests with time limits, crappy itemization/loot, narrow/small levels, broken economy system etc.). How much better is CoP?

The inventory screen and and management of items is a million times better in CoP. Every weapon and piece of armor has clear stat of what things do exactly. Also their is a upgrade system in CoP that can turn any piece of shit into an amazing piece of equipment. What you do to unlock better upgrades for things is find tools laying a about and give them to the repair/upgrades vendor, which in turn unlock a few new upgrades.

BeeDog said:

Towards the end, the story certainly picks up a bit, a tad rushed maybe, and you pick wether or not to stay (free roam mode) or leave (which you can do at a later date by asking a guide to take you out). I dont think ive actually had any quests with time limits in CoP. Loot seems alot more well thought out this time (everything has a usefull purpose), and you get item boxes at each hub in the 3 areas, all of which are huge levels (unlike the smaller, connected areas in ShoC). Even after completing the main story and doing a shit ton of side quests, im still finding new areas i didnt know about, such as the underground areas i missed.

The side-quests in this one actually feel useful. They get you exploring interesting places, fighting new enemies, and they sort of tie-in with the main and other side-quests. For example, i took out a bloodsucker lair, and later on in the game, some guy asked if i was up for some task, and i could say to the guy "yeah i took out a bloodsucker lair on my own, im good for it". Side-quests also unlock achievements which provide new things, like people selling stuff cheaper, or showing better goods etc.

Everything in CoP seems so much more connected, like the things you see and do have outcomes with certain people/factions in the game. Side-quests dont just feel like stupid "grab 5 mushrooms" like you see in other games.

As you can tell, i really like this game :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
For $20, I'm jumping on the Steam deal, but first....

- My notebook has a 2.4Ghz Quad and 9800 GT equivalent. How will I do at 1680x1050?

- Can my guns actually kill from range in this one? SoC was terrible in that regard.

Top Bottom