• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyone going for that Vanduul Swarm first 1000 challenge to be able to buy the Glaive? ($350)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...0-Vanduul-Glaive-Reproductions-For-The-Taking

I'll give it a shot later just to see how hard it is, but I wouldn't be interested in the ship.

Edit: apparently they made them giftable and people are selling them already, lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_trades
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/3g6f3h/discuss_rarityvalue_of_vanduul_glaives/

I7phxkd.png

Zalusithix

Anyone going for that Vanduul Swarm first 1000 challenge to be able to buy the Glaive? ($350)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...0-Vanduul-Glaive-Reproductions-For-The-Taking

I'll give it a shot later just to see how hard it is, but I wouldn't be interested in the ship.

Edit: apparently they made them giftable and people are selling them already, lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_trades
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/3g6f3h/discuss_rarityvalue_of_vanduul_glaives/

I7phxkd.png
Doesn't surprise me in the least that they're being sold already. That said, the only good Glaive is a wrecked Glaive. Any time I see a Vanduul design, I want to destroy it for some reason - not fly it.

Oh man, they had to make the modular Retaliator $150 with LTI? I was hoping not to spend more money on the game but this is too good to pass up.

edit: goodbye mustang and super hornet. hello tali!

Second edit: I decided to outfit tali with front and rear living quarters for now so it is more of a relaxation and cruise style type ship for now. Placing order for fuzzy dice and retractable holo 8-track player in few mins.

Zalusithix

Oh man, they had to make the modular Retaliator $150 with LTI? I was hoping not to spend more money on the game but this is too good to pass up.

edit: goodbye mustang and super hornet. hello tali!

Well, the ship is LTI, but the modules are 24 month insurance. Kind of interesting that the modules are going to be considered separate units replacement wise.

Well, the ship is LTI, but the modules are 24 month insurance. Kind of interesting that the modules are going to be considered separate units replacement wise.

Not the modules I got. They are LTI as well.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Retaliator-Living-Front-Module

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Retaliator-Living-Rear-Module

AMOF, the only ones that have 24 month insurance are the torpedo bays (which is the base model anyway). Everything else is LTI. So I have an LTI Tali with living quarters. yep dropship and cargo are LTI as well. So if people want to get those types of tali with LTI, it is best to place the order asap.

Raticus79

Hmm, I wonder if that Retaliator could be cross-chassis upgraded to another ship later and keep the LTI. Could be a good "in" for newer folks.

Zalusithix

Not the modules I got. They are LTI as well.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Retaliator-Living-Front-Module

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Retaliator-Living-Rear-Module

AMOF, the only ones that have 24 month insurance are the torpedo bays (which is the base model anyway). Everything else is LTI. So I have an LTI Tali with living quarters. yep dropship and cargo are LTI as well. So if people want to get those types of tali with LTI, it is best to place the order asap.
Ah, only really looked at the torpedo bays. Still, to know the modules actually have insurance and aren't considered a part of the ship is still interesting. Seems the ship insurance is going to be an a la carte sort of deal. Pay insurance on whatever parts you want to instead of a constantly climbing number as the ship gets better stuff added. Makes sense.

Hmm, I wonder if that Retaliator could be cross-chassis upgraded to another ship later and keep the LTI. Could be a good "in" for newer folks.
The best "in" ship for LTI was the Reliant. I'm not sure a $150 hollow ship is something I'd direct a new person to.

Edit: Added a "Retaliator (Base)" ship to the spreadsheet as a Multi-Function ship instead of a bomber.

Also added one to my fleet as a troop transport type. Troops in the front, cargo in the back. Finally gives me an excuse to buy the damn thing, as I'd rather sling big missiles from the Vanguard.

Ah, only really looked at the torpedo bays. Still, to know the modules actually have insurance and aren't considered a part of the ship is still interesting. Seems the ship insurance is going to be an a la carte sort of deal. Pay insurance on whatever parts you want to instead of a constantly climbing number as the ship gets better stuff added. Makes sense.

The best "in" ship for LTI was the Reliant. I'm not sure a $150 hollow ship is something I'd direct a new person to.

Not to sure about that. This might give people who want to try out different classes but not worry about losing entire ship a way not to be worried about initial purchase.

For now though you can get a complete ship LTI if you buy into front and rear modules that are not torpedo based. So it seems like an awesome deal imo.

Zalusithix

Not to sure about that. This might give people who want to try out different classes but not worry about losing entire ship a way not to be worried about initial purchase.

For now though you can get a complete ship LTI if you buy into front and rear modules that are not torpedo based. So it seems like an awesome deal imo.

Well, you're talking selling somebody on a $150 ship after they've already shelled out $45 for the package. Then add on another $50 for the modules and you're talking a $300 investment into the game. Great if they want to spend that much, but most people aren't going to go that route right away.

Edit: Speaking of this version of the Retaliator, when we buy one they should give us the stock version in our hangers for the time being. Yet another ship that I can't throw in my hanger. -_-

Whelp...locked out of SC again.

I was stupid and deleted the entire 25GB expecting to be able to download the launcher and reinstall. Nope.

Black DOS screen comes up "unhandled exception: System.ArgumentoutofrangeException: The value must be less than the console's current maximum window size of 32 in that dimension. Blah blah blah..."

Anyone else get this message. I'm assuming it's Windows 10 related.

injurai

Banned
Compared to the number of ships we know about, how many more are slated to be shipped with the game? They have the two alien races still, and it seems like a fair number of the manufacturers are lacking in SKUs.

Burny

I guess my questions stems from the whole lifetime pass for Elite Dangerous lol. I honestly don't know how SC modules work in terms if say you buy this starter pack you only get access to one module (or two since I notice it says ARENA included).

At the moment, Star Citizens pledge packages are centered around the game, as it will eventually be released. As far as I can see, CIG aren't talking much about post release things now, but are very focused on the actual release, which is still a way off.

Which financing model they'll chose after release is an interesting question though. The game, like Elite, will most likely have servers of some sort running for the PU and my guess is that they probably don't just want to dissolve CIG completely, but continue to maintain and extend the game.

Cosmetic items, real money ships (has worked for them so far ;) ), season passes for Addon content... I have no idea, but I guess all of those things are in the cards.

Well, you're talking selling somebody on a $150 ship after they've already shelled out $45 for the package. Then add on another $50 for the modules and you're talking a $300 investment into the game. Great if they want to spend that much, but most people aren't going to go that route right away.

Edit: Speaking of this version of the Retaliator, when we buy one they should give us the stock version in our hangers for the time being. Yet another ship that I can't throw in my hanger. -_-

Y'know what, I forgot this was a stand alone ship purchase not a package. You are totally right.

And i agree with not having it in the hanger. I have a feeling they are redesigning the insides and don't want to set expectations.

Whelp...locked out of SC again.

I was stupid and deleted the entire 25GB expecting to be able to download the launcher and reinstall. Nope.

Black DOS screen comes up "unhandled exception: System.ArgumentoutofrangeException: The value must be less than the console's current maximum window size of 32 in that dimension. Blah blah blah..."

Anyone else get this message. I'm assuming it's Windows 10 related.

I was able to install it on a Windows 10 device. I just upgraded all three PC's I own and had no issues. For SC I would just suggest making sure it is uninstalled from teh system and the folders deleted Both the old SC folder and the new CIG folders then try again. Make sure you have the new launcher downloaded from the RSI site.

I was able to install it on a Windows 10 device. I just upgraded all three PC's I own and had no issues. For SC I would just suggest making sure it is uninstalled from teh system and the folders deleted Both the old SC folder and the new CIG folders then try again. Make sure you have the new launcher downloaded from the RSI site.

Thanks for the advice.

I opted to reset my Windows 10 installation. All have on it are games.

The reset worked. I'm downloading it now.

Zalusithix

Compared to the number of ships we know about, how many more are slated to be shipped with the game? They have the two alien races still, and it seems like a fair number of the manufacturers are lacking in SKUs.

Depends what you mean by "know about". If your knowledge is limited to what shows up on the pledge page, then there's many ships already in various stages of completion - both human and Vanduul. If you're already aware of all the leaked ships, then it's anybody's guess.

Raticus79

Cross-posting from the demo thread - here are some high quality Youtube videos from the demo PCs which don't have the stream's nasty interlacing.

Multi-crew live demo (quantum jump at 7:30, constellation explosion at 17:00):
https://youtu.be/a9rqPp_Cyk4
Looks like they edited together the best parts of the two runs here.

Social module press demo (planetside):
https://youtu.be/Jc4oDwwD0oY

Thanks for the advice.

I opted to reset my Windows 10 installation. All have on it are games.

The reset worked. I'm downloading it now.

When you say "reset" is that an option in the menu's somewhere? What does it do exactly?

I am still getting used to the interface I used Win 7 for so long this feels a bit odd.

Edit, nvm I found it in the recovery menu.

Zalusithix

When you say "reset" is that an option in the menu's somewhere? What does it do exactly?

I am still getting used to the interface I used Win 7 for so long this feels a bit odd.

Edit, nvm I found it in the recovery menu.
Even coming from 8.1, 10 has plenty of differences that take a bit of getting used to. Generally speaking it's an improvement, though there are a few little things that I miss.

Pic as promised. Very impressive stuff, and I hope CIG will do the same to the Aurora or 300i.

Frankly, I'd prefer CIG to not waste money on large ship mock ups that nobody benefits from. I suppose if they planned on auctioning it off and using the funds towards the game, I could get behind it.

Daedardus

Frankly, I'd prefer CIG to not waste money on large ship mock ups that nobody benefits from. I suppose if they planned on auctioning it off and using the funds towards the game, I could get behind it.

Really, it would cost only a few thousand dollars and would serve as a cool marketing prop. It doesn't have to be 1:1 scale or functional. Could bring in more interest from new players compared to the price of materials and man hours.

Zalusithix

Really, it would cost only a few thousand dollars and would serve as a cool marketing prop. It doesn't have to be 1:1 scale or functional. Could bring in more interest from new players compared to the price of materials and man hours.

This is Chris Roberts we're talking about. The mock up would be made out of real metal, feature an automotive grade paint job, and be remote controllable. ;)

Jokes aside, I don't think that Star Citizen really needs that level of advertising bling. The interest and hype it generates based on simply showing game content is far beyond what FD could even hope for with Elite. When it gets closer to launch, there will be a reason to ratchet up polish and do stuff like that. But for now? I just don't see it.

Oni Jazar

I have the client installed on my Win10 machine but the performance is a struggle. No matter the setting (Very High/High/Med/Low) the framerates remain around 30-40 fps. Only resolution makes a difference. Am I missing something?

Zalusithix

I have the client installed on my Win10 machine but the performance is a struggle. No matter the setting (Very High/High/Med/Low) the framerates remain around 30-40 fps. Only resolution makes a difference. Am I missing something?

Yeah, you're missing your PC specs and resolution you're running at. =P Depending on the machine, that very well be the upper limit of what it's capable of. SC not only uses a lot of GPU power, but it demands CPU too.

I kinda agree with both of you? I think a game like Elite needs to do everything it can to get new players and great presentations like that probably really help.

I don't think Star Citizen NEEDS anything like that...but the presentation from this week certainly matches your impressions of their exhibit. Very very rough, even if the majority of the footage looked great. I lol'd/felt a little embarrassed for their fancy glass case showing of the Saitek controller...which had fallen over.

Still, show anyone some of that footage and you'll likely get them interested.

Oni Jazar

Yeah, you're missing your PC specs and resolution you're running at. =P Depending on the machine, that very well be the upper limit of what it's capable of. SC not only uses a lot of GPU power, but it demands CPU too.

I have a Haswell i7-4710MQ @2.5Ghz, 980m (8GB VRam), and 16GB Ram.

I can understand that the game is not optimized but I don't get how the quality settings make no difference.

epmode

If a game is CPU limited and your CPU is the bottleneck, changing quality settings may not help. Most games are GPU limited which is why you may not be used to the situation.

Zalusithix

I have a Haswell i7-4710MQ @2.5Ghz, 980m (8GB VRam), and 16GB Ram.

I can understand that the game is not optimized but I don't get how the quality settings make no difference.

Laptop then. I wouldn't really expect a laptop to be able to handle SC great to begin with. It's packing less power than a 2600K+GTX970 desktop, and even that setup will struggle with the game.

As epmode said, it's possible that the CPU is limiting you. It is relatively weak in comparison to desktop gaming builds, and the cooling constraints of a laptop are possibly imposing thermal throttling on top of that. The only thing that'd make me question that is the fact that you say resolution changes help the framerate. Typically they wouldn't help in a CPU limited case.

That said, the settings in SC are rather bare bones. I'd expect this to improve (along with optimizations) as we get closer to launch.

Tweeted Derek Smart about his recent blog post, got a little butthurt XD
The counter isn't even really accurate. It was that much before the modular Retaliator went on sale. You damned well know that more people jumped on that offering. Both people getting their first, and people buying extra modules to retrofit their existing one.

What are your specs.

I run at only 900p...but hey, I'm getting at minimum 60 fps at" very high" setting.

GTX 970 MSI blower
8 gb system memory
intel 4690k cpu
7200 Western digital

edit: Just saw your specs.

Oni Jazar

Laptop then. I wouldn't really expect a laptop to be able to handle SC great to begin with. It's packing less power than a 2600K+GTX970 desktop, and even that setup will struggle with the game.

As epmode said, it's possible that the CPU is limiting you. It is relatively weak in comparison to desktop gaming builds, and the cooling constraints of a laptop are possibly imposing thermal throttling on top of that. The only thing that'd make me question that is the fact that you say resolution changes help the framerate. Typically they wouldn't help in a CPU limited case.

The laptop can play Arkham Knight at solid 30 and Witcher 3 at 60 if I turned NVidia hair off (around 40 with it on). Even Star Citizen goes above 30. My only guess is that the game isn't optimized for the mobile stuff. Just seems odd that the graphics options make zero difference.

The laptop can play Arkham Knight at solid 30 and Witcher 3 at 60 if I turned NVidia hair off (around 40 with it on). Even Star Citizen goes above 30. My only guess is that the game isn't optimized for the mobile stuff. Just seems odd that the graphics options make zero difference.

They should make a difference. Quit and reload the game.

If they are not making a difference it means you are CPU limited. Running windows 10?

tuxfool

Banned

Neither of the games you quoted are CPU heavy. If graphics options aren't making a difference, that is surely one of the signs that you're CPU limited.

e: beaten.

Oni Jazar

They should make a difference. Quit and reload the game.

If they are not making a difference it means you are CPU limited. Running windows 10?

Neither of the games you quoted are CPU heavy. If graphics options aren't making a difference, that is surely one of the signs that you're CPU limited.

e: beaten.

Yes I'm running windows 10 and I have rebooted the game (maybe I need to reboot windows). If it's CPU limited resolution wouldn't make a difference but it does. Heck I'd be ok even limiting the framerate to 30 but sys_MaxFps = 30 in the user.cfg doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for the replies, I suspect it's a bug somewhere regarding mobile GPU. I even had to add the exe to nvidia control panel so it won't use the integrated graphics processor.

M.Steiner

And i agree with not having it in the hanger. I have a feeling they are redesigning the insides and don't want to set expectations.

Little trick for you guys. Go to your hangar configuration page and remove all of your ships from the hangar bays (can click "reinitialize"), save and then go ingame. After doing that the game should have automatically filled your hangar with the ships you own, including a stock Retaliator.

Worked for me earlier ;)

tuxfool

Banned
Thanks for the replies, I suspect it's a bug somewhere regarding mobile GPU. I even had to add the exe to nvidia control panel so it won't use the integrated graphics processor.

aha, I didn't consider Optimus. Yeah, it is annoying when it doesn't have profiles for the game.

Zalusithix

Little trick for you guys. Go to your hangar configuration page and remove all of your ships from the hangar bays (can click "reinitialize"), save and then go ingame. After doing that the game should have automatically filled your hangar with the ships you own, including a stock Retaliator.

Worked for me earlier ;)

Yep, that works. =)
It's nice being able to walk around it first hand. Always loved the design of it, but just couldn't justify it as a bomber. The missions that'd require that sort of ship don't tend to interest me much. A troop transport though? I can get down with that. Especially since I'm kind of torn on the Redeemer design. I don't hate it, but something is just off about it. Either it not being "Aegis" enough, or something I just can't put into words. A troop transport Retaliator saves me the hassle of dealing with whether I want to get the Redeemer.

Ship is still buggy as all hell though. Falling through floors, and greatness such as this:

**Note the first pic is a 5K shot downsampled to 1440p, and not indicative of any new AA in the engine. ;)

Worked for me earlier ;)

Yep, that works. =)

Awesome. I cannot try it now but it is pretty cool to know it can be explored.

I agree that bombers and its missions do not impress me much but I was really sold on the outside of the ship. I love its design. I have it as my Spacefaring RV for now but maybe when other modules are added I might find one I prefer.

Zalusithix

Awesome. I cannot try it now but it is pretty cool to know it can be explored.

I agree that bombers and its missions do not impress me much but I was really sold on the outside of the ship. I love its design. I have it as my Spacefaring RV for now but maybe when other modules are added I might find one I prefer.

The Retaliator design reminds of some odd mashup of two of my favorite jets as a child: the SR-71 and the F-14. If that wasn't enough to make me want one, then the cockpit design sure as hell was. Still, liking a design wasn't enough for me to actually buy one - at least not at that price. Figured I'd just pick one up in-game sometime down the line and let it sit around as a showpiece. The new modular approach changed those plans.

Really looking forward to what they have planned for the Constellation modules now, and how they'll work with the various models. The sooner I can dump the hot tub the better. Well ideally I wont have to drop the tub. Hopefully the redesign just gets rid of it to begin with. Luxury touring or not, that huge ass tub makes no sense.

The Retaliator design reminds of some odd mashup of two of my favorite jets as a child: the SR-71 and the F-14. If that wasn't enough to make me want one, then the cockpit design sure as hell was. Still, liking a design wasn't enough for me to actually buy one - at least not at that price. Figured I'd just pick one up in-game sometime down the line and let it sit around as a showpiece. The new modular approach changed those plans.

Really looking forward to what they have planned for the Constellation modules now, and how they'll work with the various models. The sooner I can dump the hot tub the better. Well ideally I wont have to drop the tub. Hopefully the redesign just gets rid of it to begin with. Luxury touring or not, that huge ass tub makes no sense.

I'm still sour that they didn't follow the original concept for the cockpit more closely, still a beautiful ship though
RETALIATORcockpit.jpg

Zalusithix

I'm still sour that they didn't follow the original concept for the cockpit more closely, still a beautiful ship though
RETALIATORcockpit.jpg

Well, I can't speak for the big screen over the window as we don't have a ship using one yet, but the monitor vs transparent screen at the front is an improvement over the concept. The solid monitor based radars are much easier to read at a glance than the translucent projection type.

Keasar

They are really not giving up this whole gimballed weapon thing are they?

Trackballs on joysticks. So everyone who wanna fly with the ones they own are gonna be at a disadvantage still.

Well, I can't speak for the big screen over the window as we don't have a ship using one yet, but the monitor vs transparent screen at the front is an improvement over the concept. The solid monitor based radars are much easier to read at a glance than the translucent projection type.

That they are.
They are really not giving up this whole gimballed weapon thing are they?

Trackballs on joysticks. So everyone who wanna fly with the ones they own are gonna be at a disadvantage still.

Yes, they are not giving up on 'em.

I can only hope something happens still though...

Burny

Eh, I would've hoped they adapted a similar model to Elite, where gimbals and turrets are CPU controlled. That gives noone an unfair advantage, independently of the controller they chose and puts the focus in dogfights on the flying part. After not being that happy with the haptic of my Saitek X52 Pro (feels cheapish), I'm certainly not going to buy a new Saitek controller, just for Star Citizen. If I'm ever to exchange my HOTAS, I'll want to upgrade to something more sturdy, meaning I'm looking more at something in the Thrustmaster Warthog range. Which wouldn't be particularily useful at aiming in SC's current flight model, so...

I'll just drop the pretense and play it with Mouse/Keyboard then, if they don't change the ship handling/controlls before the PU starts.

M.Steiner

Yep, that works. =)

It's nice being able to walk around it first hand. Always loved the design of it, but just couldn't justify it as a bomber. The missions that'd require that sort of ship don't tend to interest me much. A troop transport though? I can get down with that. Especially since I'm kind of torn on the Redeemer design. I don't hate it, but something is just off about it. Either it not being "Aegis" enough, or something I just can't put into words. A troop transport Retaliator saves me the hassle of dealing with whether I want to get the Redeemer.

Ship is still buggy as all hell though. Falling through floors, and greatness such as this:

Aye, same. Always been a fan of the design but since it never really interested me as a bomber, I kinda ignored it tbh. The different module combos completely change that though. I've gone with both living quarters and cargo bays for now so I can switch between hauling cargo & passenger transport, or a mix of the two for exploration. The ultimate goal being to primarily use it as a medical support ship when those modules become available later. Incredibly versatile really, will be able to outfit it differently depending on the role I want it to fill. All of those will be different from my other 2 ships as well which is great.

and yeah, tis quite buggy atm. I had that too lol.

(I've just applied to the GAF org as well btw. Have been meaning to do that for a while.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom