• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Heh, I'm not sure if I approve of the retro-futuristic monochrome lcd on the gun. Surely in the future they would at least use a different display technology.

They've shown CRT based monitors on equipment. Compared to that, a monochrome LCD is downright advanced. =P

To retaliate or to not retaliate. Will there ever be a swimming pool / hot tub module?

That would be a rather shallow pool, or one very large hot tub.

CR made mention how the torpedo rooms can be replaced with hottubs.

Or at least I think he said that as he sped past me going 220km/h in his bugati veyron.

Sandi posted this on Facebook:
11866256_899797230073564_690000346947393500_n.jpg
Vanduul strippers? I think so.

KKRT00

CR made mention how the torpedo rooms can be replaced with hottubs.

Or at least I think he said that as he sped past me going 220km/h in his bugati veyron.

Sandi posted this on Facebook:
11866256_899797230073564_690000346947393500_n.jpg
Vanduul strippers? I think so.
Part of Squadron 42 showcase from CitizenCon? Its happening, isnt it?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Glaives will be LTI. Also some interesting background info here:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/277938/dev-tracker/p1

CIG Disco Lando said:
Greetings Citizens!

Wanted to let you know that everyone has indeed made it back safely from Gamescom. The event appears to have been a tremendous success, and you'll see a recap post with all the details on that soon.

For now, the purpose of this post is to help with a few of the Customer Service tickets we've been receiving. At present, the ticket queue is well over 2000+ tickets, so if I hit a point here that resolves your ticket, our CS staff in Manchester would surely appreciate you closing your ticket as they work through the backlog. If your issue or question is still outstanding at the end of this, then I'd encourage you to wait patiently as the team works it's way through to your issue.

Here are some bullet point responses to key issues we're seeing come up in that 2000+ ticket queue:

Glaive Insurance: I'm happy to report to you that all current Glaives will be converted to LTI from their current 2-year insurance. While this isn't a "concept" sale in the traditional sense, it's the first time this ship has been offered, and we feel as part of our first special player event it warrants the additional perk. This is where we once again tell you that LTI is virtually meaningless, and you guys don't believe us. Carry on. =)

Scythe Owners: We've always intended Scythe Ownership to be a special occurance. To adhere to this, we are providing one half of the badges necessary to buy a Glaive to anyone that currently owns a Scythe. These people will still need to earn the Vanduul Swarm Completion Badge and once having done so, the two will enable them to buy a permanent Glaive.

Scythe to Glaive CCU: We're going to let you guys do this. It will take a little time to implement (in the next few days) but I'm going to STRONGLY encourage you NOT to do this. The Scythe is an authentic Vanduul ship with a much smaller production run. The Glaive is a reproduction created by Esperia available in much higher numbers. For serious collectors, I'd recommend holding onto your Scythe.

Technical Difficulities: For those that completed the Swarm in time and did not get a badge, we're working out a solution that shoudl be in place by the time CS gets to your ticket. Please hang in there.

Retaliator Module Questions: Check out THIS THREAD and post your questions here, then look for our extensive Q&A post this Friday.

Flash Sale: When we looked at ways to make our events seem like special and unique occurances, one of the things we landed on was a limited time flash sale for those present watching the event. We understand some folks missed it and were not able to get the ship they wanted during the time alloted, however all of these ships will be available again somewhere down the line, and of course, will always be attainable in the Persistant Universe.

That's all I got for now, everyone. If you have a ticket and your issue wasn't covered here, please be patient while the Manchester CS team works it's way through to your ticket. They're English, so they're too polite to push.

DL

Zabojnik

The moment when they make the 'jump' in the GC demo and end up in the asteroid belt.

I just want to cruise around it for hours, alone with my trusty HOTAS and VR headset.

I don't give no shit about no gimbals and fine-tuned controls.

I just want to bask in the atmosphere, soothing Pedro music playing in the background.

Please understand.

Shy

The moment when they make the 'jump' in the GC demo and end up in the asteroid belt.

I just want to cruise around it for hours, alone with my trusty HOTAS and VR headset.

I just want to bask in the atmosphere, soothing Pedro music playing in the background.

Please understand.
LQdknyC.gif

Zalusithix

Please understand.
I'm certainly interested in doing a whole plethora of things not combat related, but it's still important that they get it right - or at least close to right.

That said, I understand the sentiment. Chilling out in the Khartu-Al in some asteroid belt, watching the massive Orion's lasers and grinders chewing them up through the glass bubble cockpit. Combat? That'll be the last thing on my mind.

Zalusithix

Speaking of the Orion, they just put up a post about mining:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/14892-Mining-Rocks-August-2945

Haven't finished combing through it to see if it's just lore or there are some hints about gameplay in there.

Just lore. Noticed that right after posting, but unfortunately there wasn't anything in it that warranted updating my post.

Edit: Which isn't to say that I don't like lore updates. I think it's great that SC has so much lore being introduced. It'll be the only new IP I've ever seen with crap tons of lore about the universe available before the game is even out. If they keep it up and pull the players into it when the game is launched, SC will probably have more lore after the first year than most well established series.

Geist-

I noticed the Glaive wasn't on the list of ships on the member excel sheet, so I added it, if you guys don't mind.

Bought a Glaive, uses the same amazing glitchy vanduul HUD which I love, best HUD so far. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it though.

Zabojnik

I noticed the Glaive wasn't on the list of ships on the member excel sheet, so I added it, if you guys don't mind.

Bought a Glaive, uses the same amazing glitchy vanduul HUD which I love, best HUD so far. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it though.

Pics downsampled from 4K or it didn't happen.

Zalusithix

Modified it to read Glaive (Replica) so if CIG starts making the real one available, it wont conflict. I don't think they will, but better safe than sorry. Also fixed up the ship count page to take into account the extra manufacturer. I'm guessing you're the one doing the profile link work. Fancy sheet gets fancier. ;)

Edit: Guess it was Raticus doing the profile work.

Raticus79

I just added a profile link column on the spreadsheet. You can use it to get to the person's profile page. There's a follow button on there we can use to add each other so we can makes private games with members. Should help for farming REC since public co-op games are pretty hit and miss. (Hopefully the social module will make this no longer necessary)

After adding people, hit L in the hangar to bring up the list. Click outside it and hit L again to close it.

Quote for the link:

--------------------------------------------------------------
To join the NeoGAF Star Citizen Org: [Sign up]
(please include your GAF name in the message)
Quote this to see the link to the roster spreadsheet and add your details.

Zalusithix

As long as I was messing with the sheet again, I touched up the formatting on the ship counts page a bit. I thought about doing something similar with the main entry page, but attempting to do so would probably be an exercise in futility. Could probably make it a bit better, but due to the amount of data entry on it, it'll always end up looking a bit unwieldy. It might be worthwhile to add another "display" page and populate it with the member info from the entry sheet. Profile links could be combined with the SC handles. Time zones could be displayed without the abbreviation look ups, etc. It wouldn't really tell you anything that couldn't already be seen from the primary sheet, but it'd certainly be easier on the eyes.

Effect

Can't find anything on the forums regarding the issue I'm having. Just constant loading when trying to get into Arena Commander. All I can do is walk around the hanger, enter my ship, and do the tutorial (which is still buggy as ever).

Trying to hold out from uninstalling again to see if another update fixes the issue but getting real close. It's what I did last time and then it took make a few months to really mess around with the game again I believe. Haven't had time when I do remember the problem or the ability to access the forums properly do to being at work or on the phone to type up the form they want when you have issues. The last two times I had problems and didn't that the topics were just closed and had other members trying to back seat moderate. I generally try to stay away from the crowd as much as possible.

Wait a minute.
Can't find anything on the forums regarding the issue I'm having. Just constant loading when trying to get into Arena Commander. All I can do is walk around the hanger, enter my ship, and do the tutorial (which is still buggy as ever).

Trying to hold out from uninstalling again to see if another update fixes the issue but getting real close. It's what I did last time and then it took make a few months to really mess around with the game again I believe. Haven't had time when I do remember the problem or the ability to access the forums properly do to being at work or on the phone to type up the form they want when you have issues. The last two times I had problems and didn't that the topics were just closed and had other members trying to back seat moderate. I generally try to stay away from the crowd as much as possible.

What about the most recent posts from QA? Weren't they about infinite loading problems getting into AC?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5433148/#Comment_5433148

Make sure your firewall is not blocking it. Also make sure you are launching the game from the launcher and not from the bin64 sc.exe.

Zalusithix

Just finished up a prototype of an auto-generating member list using data from the primary member entry sheet sorted by the SC handle. It consolidates the profile link with the SC handle, trims the time zone to just the UTC offset, and creates an alphabetically-sorted, comma delineated ship list. Even in its current state, it's a lot easier to look at and scan through than the entry page. Due to the array formula being used, however, it's not really sortable via filter views.

Edit: Built off that sheet's ship consolidation list to create another sheet with a listing of owners of a given ship. Easy to look up everybody who has a particular ship now instead of just what ships a given person has.

Because I have poor self control my retaliator now also has LTI front and rear cargo modules in addition to the living modules.

It is funny that if I use it as a cargo ship it will technically be one of the most aggressive cargo ships around.

Zalusithix

Because I have poor self control my retaliator now also has LTI front and rear cargo modules in addition to the living modules.

It is funny that if I use it as a cargo ship it will technically be one of the most aggressive cargo ships around.

I think the Starfarer Gemini would probably be the most aggressive cargo ship. At least if we define that by the firepower - it has some big ass guns on it. The Retaliator is undoubtedly a faster, more maneuverable ship that's better for pursuit though.

I think the Starfarer Gemini would probably be the most aggressive cargo ship. At least if we define that by the firepower - it has some big ass guns on it. The Retaliator is undoubtedly a faster, more maneuverable ship that's better for pursuit though.

Does the gemini have ship to ship Torpedos? Those things (given their size) must do crazy damage.

Zalusithix

Is it me or does it also not seem to be that well armored?

I have no damn idea any more. First the S# was supposed to be the quality/power of a module. Then it was supposed to be the physical size of it and independent of the quality/power. Then they made comments again seemingly referencing them as quality/power metrics. To cap it all off, there's the outright inconsistencies between what they say something has and what the card shows it as having. Makes comparing things a nightmare.

I don't expect the Retaliator to be a tank, but it shouldn't be made of paper either.

Saw on reddit that arena commander is free to try for another few weeks and gave it a go.

The graphics in the hangar are mind blowing, just wow.
It seems to vsync down to 30 fps a lot in the hangar on the very high settings but I'm not even mad, my jaw was on the floor.

Sadly the tutorial mission/flight school thing is not available in the free version it seems. Just a hangar with a whole bunch of ships that you can sit in and the arena commander thingy where you can solo fly, do the pve wave mission thingy and the pvp arenas.

tuxfool

Banned
Saw on reddit that arena commander is free to try for another few weeks and gave it a go.

The graphics in the hangar are mind blowing, just wow.
It seems to vsync down to 30 fps a lot in the hangar on the very high settings but I'm not even mad, my jaw was on the floor.

Sadly the tutorial mission/flight school thing is not available in the free version it seems. Just a hangar with a whole bunch of ships that you can sit in and the arena commander thingy where you can solo fly, do the pve wave mission thingy and the pvp arenas.

Don't worry about it. The training module got slightly borked in the 1.15 patch, so you might not even have been able to get clearance to leave the hangar.

True but the Tali has more. Both ships have 5 turrets but you have two additional pylon mounts for the Retaliator ( I like the idea of missiles flying towards enemies). And isn't the only cargo the Starfarers carry is fuel? Can we really call that cargo if it is limited to only one type?

Either way.............

The retaliator looks sexier.

"C'mere Tali let daddy give you a smooch!"

Raticus79

Man, I'm still garbage at dogfighting and always CTD in competitive matches. Need to grind that REC.

I tried out a few and I can maneuver well, but yeah, the matches are pretty much always dominated by someone showing up in a super hornet. Vanduul swarm is nice, but I haven't been able get in recently. Keep getting kicked back to lobby with no error. Apparently it's a known issue.

I think the Steam controller is going to be ideal for relative mode aiming and flight. Virtual trackball mode. Flick your thumb and the ship keeps turning at that rate, put your thumb down and move for fine aiming.

Effect

Wait a minute.

What about the most recent posts from QA? Weren't they about infinite loading problems getting into AC?
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5433148/#Comment_5433148

Make sure your firewall is not blocking it. Also make sure you are launching the game from the launcher and not from the bin64 sc.exe.

I saw that but I didn't think my situation applied. I can get past the initial logo screens. I can get into the hanger, walk around, etc and tutorial. It's the other aspects of Arena Commander where it just either crashes or loads indefinitely. I'm launching the game correctly as well.

Will try posting in that thread to see if it gets me anywhere.

Zalusithix

True but the Tali has more. Both ships have 5 turrets but you have two additional pylon mounts for the Retaliator ( I like the idea of missiles flying towards enemies). And isn't the only cargo the Starfarers carry is fuel? Can we really call that cargo if it is limited to only one type?

Either way.............

The retaliator looks sexier.

"C'mere Tali let daddy give you a smooch!"

The pylons are the torpedo bays. If you're loading it up with cargo modules, there will be no pylons. Also the Starfarer can carry both fuel and regular cargo. It specializes in fuel transport, but the fuel tanks can be swapped out for cargo box racks.

As for the looks, yeah of course the Retaliator is sexier. The Starfarer isn't meant to be pretty. It's utilitarian industrial style ugly, like all MISC ships. That's not to say it doesn't have it's own appeal, but it certainly isn't sexy.

Shy

I think the Steam controller is going to be ideal for relative move aiming and flight. Virtual trackball mode. Flick your thumb and the ship keeps turning at that rate, put your thumb down and move for fine aiming.
Yep yep, that's why i'm hoping they add native support for it, that and you could use those paddle buttons as functions giving you more options.

GKB

I saw that but I didn't think my situation applied. I can get past the initial logo screens. I can get into the hanger, walk around, etc and tutorial. It's the other aspects of Arena Commander where it just either crashes or loads indefinitely. I'm launching the game correctly as well.

Will try posting in that thread to see if it gets me anywhere.

Yup, the same thing happened to me. I just gave up and re-installed the game, now it works.

The pylons are the torpedo bays. If you're loading it up with cargo modules, there will be no pylons. Also the Starfarer can carry both fuel and regular cargo. It specializes in fuel transport, but the fuel tanks can be swapped out for cargo box racks.

As for the looks, yeah of course the Retaliator is sexier. The Starfarer isn't meant to be pretty. It's utilitarian industrial style ugly, like all MISC ships. That's not to say it doesn't have it's own appeal, but it certainly isn't sexy.

Weapon hardpoints are on the outside of ship.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14570-Weapons-Mount-Updates

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ication-regarding-the-class-3-pylon-hardpoint

My Constellation Aquila, Freelancer Dur and Vanguard also has pylon mounts so I am pretty sure those aren't referring to the insides of ships. besides Torpedoes are not something that was classified to be on pylon hardpoints. Missiles are.

And as far as MISC designs I happen to think my Freelancer DU.... Well The Freelancer MAX looks pretty spiffy.

EDIT: Found more:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12936-Engineering-Ship-Components-Systems

Class 1 Weapon: Forward-fixed weapons that can mount larger weapon systems.
Class 2 Weapon: Gimbal-mounted weapons that have limited pivot in a fixed direction. The increased cone of fire comes at the cost of smaller weapon size.
Class 3 Hardpoint: Class 3 hardpoints can mount a variety of underbelly gear such as missile racks or extra fuel tanks.
Class 4 Hardpoint: Generally used to mount turrets, some ships can also use these hardpoints for increased cargo space and other ships systems.

Raticus79

I really don't want to have to do that to be honest. That's a 25G install.

I've even tried to delete my USER folder.

There's a file verify option in the launcher somewhere.
Edit: click the gear after signing in > click the Verify button

Guess I'll try that for my swarm launch issue.

Roulette

I'm wondering if I jumped the gun when I set up the 'GAF' organization. I originally intended for it to be either a specialised subset/offshoot of the main 'NeoGAF' org. Given that the main org doesn't seem to be user limited, it probably makes more sense to have all users there.

I also remember back in the day they said you'd eventually be able to join multiple org's, which was a reason I thought we should have a couple.

Effect

There's a file verify option in the launcher somewhere.
Edit: click the gear after signing in > click the Verify button

Guess I'll try that for my swarm launch issue.

Giving that a shot but watching to make sure it's not redownloading the game. I finally found a topic that was talking about my issue but looks like they weren't helped either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom