• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Where are you getting this information from?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/misc-starfarer/Starfarer

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/misc-starfarer/Starfarer-Gemini

I see none of what is being mentioned. When did they talk about modules and hardpoints for the Starfarer?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14694-Fleshing-Out-The-Starfarer
Converted under license by Aegis Dynamics, the Gemini also includes an optional missile pod, which can be swapped for the fuel intake unit on the ship’s nose (see below for details.) Missile pods can be mounted to either Starfarer variant.
Of course you wont see any mention of this on the ship stat cards, as they're horribly inaccurate and outdated. (Some day CIG will give us uniform and accurate stats... Some day.)

Daedardus

Here I was, looking forward to all kinds of fashion you can buy in Star Citizen and then they showed that sneak peek. Uhhh... I would pledge just so they could hire a mainstream fashion designer, doesn't have to be the best, just one that can design clothes I can find in the usual stores I shop. All's better than that monstrosity of a jacket.

Funny thing is, my girlfriend sent my the exact same picture they used as a stock photo for it, to show he she wanted how I'd do my hair. Which makes the only redeeming part of the sneak peek is that at least they know how to search for good looking stock photos.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14694-Fleshing-Out-The-Starfarer

Of course you wont see any mention of this on the ship stat cards, as they're horribly inaccurate and outdated. (Some day CIG will give us uniform and accurate stats... Some day.)

I do see that but then again I think this is a perfect example between wording on modules and hardpoints.

The Starfarer can be used to ferry traditional bulk cargo pods (see diagram) but in such cases the fuel refining equipment would be useless. This equipment is modular and can be swapped out for another mission package for dry operations!

It seems as if those missiles are a modules (designed only for one ship, no flexibility on size or type) and not a hardpoint (designed for use across many ships with flexibility on size or type). I doubt modules will ever be shown on the propulsion or hardpoint overviews because that would imply that they can be changeable or transferred to a different ship, from a different class and manufacturer as long as they have correct hardpoint size.

Again I think that is the case and tomorrow I guess we can get some answer..... actually.. I am not sure if I need to wait.

Shy

I take back what i said about know what guns to get. i'm so confused and have know idea what to get for my phoenix. :_:

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I take back what i said about know what guns to get. i'm so confused and have know idea what to get for my phoenix. :_:

No point getting anything for the Phoenix yet - that list is for sizing up what you can rent with REC for arena commander.

Shy

No point getting anything for the Phoenix yet - that list is for sizing up what you can rent with REC for arena commander.
K.
I find the whole weapon/shield ratings and effectiveness completely baffling. (which is on me, because i'm dumb)

Sarcasm

So trying out the free weekend. It just dumps you in a hanger and that is it? What am I suppose to do? Also the options for graphics are severely limited at least ingame, worse than a console port on PC would have.

Zalusithix

So trying out the free weekend. It just dumps you in a hanger and that is it? What am I suppose to do? Also the options for graphics are severely limited at least ingame, worse than a console port on PC would have.

Hit escape and go to Arena Commander.

The game currently does not have detailed graphical options. Being pre alpha and having largely unfinished rendering code does that.

As stated above, hit escape and click on "electronic acces " / "arena commander"

Sarcasm

Well I can say I am use to simulator type flying. I can say thanks for handbrake >.>

Left out words, I am use to simulation space flying and SC is not really close to it.

demolitio

Anyone have a Mustang Beta? Is it more fun to play than the Aurora LN?

Was thinking about switching and eventually trying to get the Delta since I'm a sucker for rocket pods no matter how good they are...lol

Joined the Org a whole long ago, but finally added my details on the spreadsheet. Looking like we got a good mix of everything in there so far.

Yup - looks like a great mix of ships and roles. That spreadsheet tool is very cool.

Now we have (at least one) Mustang Beta! Come with me, in my Tin Can of Exploration!

Rephin

Yup - looks like a great mix of ships and roles. That spreadsheet tool is very cool.

Now we have (at least one) Mustang Beta! Come with me, in my Tin Can of Exploration!
I used to have a Mustang Beta, I thought it was really cool as an exploration vessel and home away from home. Then I melted it for a Reliant, ending my dreams of exploration.

During the Gamescom flash sale I picked up a Carrack. Now I can explore again! But now I'm torn between exploring the galaxy or running the Hull C for phat cash. Can I hire NPCs to run my Hull C for me or do I have to be there? :( Or maybe I could lend it out to a fellow GAF member for mutual profits...

Personally I'd like to go exploring. My friend bought the Starfarer Gemini, so fuel wouldn't be too much of an issue, either. And I'd like to take other people in the org along, too! It'd be fun. :3

Can I hire NPCs to run my Hull C for me or do I have to be there? :( Or maybe I could lend it out to a fellow GAF member for mutual profits...

Personally I'd like to go exploring. My friend bought the Starfarer Gemini, so fuel wouldn't be too much of an issue, either. And I'd like to take other people in the org along, too! It'd be fun. :3

I believe you have to have at least one human in a ship - no "auto-exploring," as far as I know.

I agree - as I said in another thread, the multi-crew demo made it much easier to visualize what might be possible, when this thing is actually done: a crew of players, each with a role, in a variety of ships, exploring space. EVAing to inspect derelict ships, watching for pirates...it's been done before, to some extent, but the fidelity that SC promises could make it *far* more immersive.

We'll just use my FreeMAX for the "high-value" cargo. :)

lacinius

Anyone have a Mustang Beta? Is it more fun to play than the Aurora LN?

Was thinking about switching and eventually trying to get the Delta since I'm a sucker for rocket pods no matter how good they are...lol

I have a Beta and a Delta... can't decide which one to keep yet (why not both?)... but once you sit in the cockpit of any ship in the Mustang line, and experience that amazing all around unbroken view, then it's difficult to go back. I like the Mustangs because they are speedy enough for what they need to do, and combine that with the stunning views, makes them really fun little ships to fly!

I have tried the LN and a couple other models as well during free-fly weekends, but for me at least the whole Aurora line does not hold my interest. My preference is that the views offered by the Mustang line are just too much to give up once experienced... especially once we get to kick-in the quantum or jump drives!

If you've got some REC, then it might be worth it to try a Mustang out for a week... it looks like the main four are available. I did that with the Delta and I bought it the very next time they made it available for sale. :p

Sarcasm

What handbrake?

Well they call it spacebrake.

latest

demolitio

I have a Beta and a Delta... can't decide which one to keep yet (why not both?)... but once you sit in the cockpit of any ship in the Mustang line, and experience that amazing all around unbroken view, then it's difficult to go back. I like the Mustangs because they are speedy enough for what they need to do, and combine that with the stunning views, makes them really fun little ships to fly!

I have tried the LN and a couple other models as well during free-fly weekends, but for me at least the whole Aurora line does not hold my interest. My preference is that the views offered by the Mustang line are just too much to give up once experienced... especially once we get to kick-in the quantum or jump drives!

If you've got some REC, then it might be worth it to try a Mustang out for a week... it looks like the main four are available. I did that with the Delta and I bought it the very next time they made it available for sale. :p

Thank you. Just what I wanted to hear.

Zalusithix

Aaaaaannnnd applied to the org.

Also bought a Tali. What have I done?

We had one (confirmed) Retaliator before the new sale. Now we have a half dozen of them. I'd say this sale worked well enough for CIG. Not bad for one ship that's not even really new.

Maybe I am confused, but space sim flying? What games are you thinking about?
KSP is the only game I know of that I'd really call a space sim. Everything else fudges things for the fun factor.

lacinius

Thank you. Just what I wanted to hear.

I forgot to mention about the rocket pods... prior to I think patch 1.15 the Delta rocket pods could one-shot anything in Vanduul swarm... but since they tweaked the time to kill even a couple of rocket strikes might not be enough. It is still satisfying if you get the timing right to pop-off a quick couple of rockets to get a hit, but I miss a lot more than I hit probably because I suck. However, they also made it possible to remove the rocket pods and put on another set of S2 Badgers on the wings as one example... so that's 4 x S2 Badgers on the wings and 2 x S1 lasers on the gimbaled nose, which makes for quite a lot of firepower from such a small ship. I'm hoping once they get the Calvary Class armour functioning... whatever that is, then the Delta will be worthy little fighter not to be ignored. Combine that with the included jump drive, and the Delta becomes a well rounded ship.

Now if you could just put the living space from the Beta into the back of the Delta! :)

Burny

Is there a good "lets play" video of this game where I could see a typical period of gameplay for 20 minutes?

Heh, in order to satisfy the 'typical' criteria, the game would have to be released first. :p At least in a form where the various modules are integrated.

Watch any arena commander match. That'll give you an idea of what's available of the game now. Watch the Gamescom Arena commander 2.0 demo and that'll give you an idea of what the game might approximately play and look like in the future.

Zalusithix

I'd make you one, but at least 10 of those minutes would just be loading screens without me editing it down =P

Speaking of loading, the game certainly loads a hell of a lot faster these days than it did back in the era where you could pretty much eat lunch while waiting for the game to dump you to the hanger. I wonder how much more improvement (or regression) we'll see by the time the game launches.

Speaking of loading, the game certainly loads a hell of a lot faster these days than it did back in the era where you could pretty much eat lunch while waiting for the game to dump you to the hanger. I wonder how much more improvement (or regression) we'll see by the time the game launches.

I think load times will only get better since they are introducing a number of real time streaming techs, and relying less on caching as far as I know.

tuxfool

Banned
I think load times will only get better since they are introducing a number of real time streaming techs, and relying less on caching as far as I know.

As well as LOD levels (if that isn't included in streaming). I seem to recall them mentioning that they currently don't have LODs.

Raticus79

If you want to change graphical options you're going to have to edit config files.

this should give an overview of the tweakables

One correction there - the path needs to be
C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\User.cfg
(it changed in 1.1.6)

Following up on this one, here's a page with suggested lines to include. (not quite as drastic as the one above)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/27egt5/arena_commander_performance_tweaks/

r_motionblur = 0 is the big one.

I was wondering about the FPS cap since I tried it on my ROG Swift instead of the 4k and it was still stuck at 60. Here's the setting for that.
sys_MaxFps = 120

We had one (confirmed) Retaliator before the new sale. Now we have a half dozen of them. I'd say this sale worked well enough for CIG. Not bad for one ship that's not even really new.

The power of LTI. I'm pretty positive that's what caused such a response. Right or wrong, there are people like me who want an all-LTI hangar.

Raticus79

The power of LTI. I'm pretty positive that's what caused such a response. Right or wrong, there are people like me who want an all-LTI hangar.

I'm consoling myself with the idea that by the time the 2 year insurance on my Orion is up, I'll have enough money to not care about monthly hull insurance costs.

Pachimari

I have just installed the free Arena Commander from the Gamescom 2015 promo, and I'm sitting in one of these spaceships but I have no idea how to actually start up the beast and fly.

I'm sitting with a Tartarus, keyboard and mouse, and have looked in the keybindings controls, but I can't see what I am supposed to press? I have tried every single key now.

Zalusithix

Nobody trusts CIG when they say its next to meaningless. Can't blame them for capitalizing on people's refusal to believe it.

I'm consoling myself with the idea that by the time the 2 year insurance on my Orion is up, I'll have enough money to not care about monthly hull insurance costs.

Yep, while I have quite a few LTI ships, a decent chunk of them are "only" 2 year. The Phoenix is my least insured ship with only a year 6 months. I'm not concerned about it in the least. By the time the base insurance is up on them, I should have a hell of a lot more money on hand than what it would cost. I'm far more concerned about how much the additional insurance for all the upgrades is going to cost. Especially when counting all the upgrades over the entire fleet.

I have just installed the free Arena Commander from the Gamescom 2015 promo, and I'm sitting in one of these spaceships but I have no idea how to actually start up the beast and fly.

I'm sitting with a Tartarus, keyboard and mouse, and have looked in the keybindings controls, but I can't see what I am supposed to press? I have tried every single key now.

Hit escape and make your way to Arena Commander. You can't fly the ship out of the hanger. Or even access AC from the ships anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom