• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
Yes you can fit these ships in those other ships but as I pointed out before it would be pointless because when you acquire those ships they should have their own version related to design and function of each respective ship. Just because you "could" fit a merlin in them doesn't make it logical.

Just for more clarification, episode, 52 of ATR, the designers talked about the redesign of the connie and the docking station so there is no more tube. So the merlain is going to look like it is actually apart of the ship. If this design ethos is kept then that might be an even greater reason not to try to mix and match ships.

The jumps scout

Looks larger and might have a different docking config and the Carrack as well is much larger and might have a more impressive/useful ship
Again: I'm almost 100% sure no ship comes with a parasite in the PU. Buy a ship with a hangar, then maybe buy whatever parasite you like and fit it. Large ships coming with parasites is almost certainly just a pledge/ concept thing. And I believe the Carrack in particular won't be used the way it was supposed to in the PU anyway, so the "default" parasite might make no sense in the real world.

Daedardus

I feel like every week we have the same discussion abput gimballed weapons, with every time the same points brought and eventually spiraling down in another SC vs. Elite discussion. I think we just have to wait for more updates and a broader range of gameplay available with more varied ships. Star Citizen is so much more than closely packed dogfighting arenas.

" I think we just have to wait for more updates and a broader range of gameplay available with more varied ships."

That will not solve such an core gameplay problem. Telling people to ignore it will not make the control problems go away. More varied gameplay will not help, if anything, it comes off as saying "Well, just wait and play space trucker, then the control problem doesn't matter!"

Again: I'm almost 100% sure no ship comes with a parasite in the PU. Buy a ship with a hangar, then maybe buy whatever parasite you like and fit it. Large ships coming with parasites is almost certainly just a pledge/ concept thing. And I believe the Carrack in particular won't be used the way it was supposed to in the PU anyway, so the "default" parasite might make no sense in the real world.

Y'know what, good point. It seemed like to me, especially because of the recent design changes to the constellation and the docking bay, that some variants would come with certain elements packaged not simply because of the pledge. And also the lore even on merlins page...

Merlin intro said:
The P-52 Merlin (which comes stock in some models of the RSI Constellation) benefits from decades of research into ergonomic design and a company eager to prove itself.

The opportunity to do so came thanks to their long standing relationship with RSI who was looking to outsource production on the small short range vessel that was to be packaged with their Constellation line. Kruger won the bid and produced the P-52 and P-72 for RSI both which heavily featured Kruger parts and weapons.

So the Taurus doesn't come with one, so it seemed like a package purchase for the variant. The idea that Equipment such as rovers or ships that come with specific variants do not sound far fetched especially if they are integrated into design of ships that serve specific purposes.

So purchasing a Merlin to add onto a Variant that doesn't supposedly come with one makes sense (like Taurus) but not for a ship that supposedly will have a packaged vehicle (snub or rover).

Unless you are privy to some official statement that states variants will be sold minus the additional equipment that makes them variants to begin with.

Shy

Hi question, if you don't mind me asking.

A few pages ago (maybe more) someone posted a youtube video series that focuses on the lore and in game history.
Could one of you fine people who might know what i'm talking about post the link for me.

Sorry for not going through this thread and looking myself.

EDIT: found it. here it is if you guys want to watch it.
I quite like it so far.

Daedardus

That will not solve such an core gameplay problem. Telling people to ignore it will not make the control problems go away. More varied gameplay will not help, if anything, it comes off as saying "Well, just wait and play space trucker, then the control problem doesn't matter!"

I'm not saying we should ignore the issue, because the arguments at hand are valid complaints. However, I feel like we are beating a dead horse with the discussion we're having now. I'm reserving my judgement on the system until AC 2.0 to see if they changed things around.

On the issue itself, I think it will always be hard to balance the wide range of control options on each other. My take would be that for competitive play like Arena Commander dogfighting style in the final game, you could have multiple rankings where only one type of control option is allowed. Seems to be the most fair way at this time.

NeoFaff

Unless you are privy to some official statement that states variants will be sold minus the additional equipment that makes them variants to begin with.
I recall seeing something on the SC reddit some months ago about the Andromeda (the original model) not coming with a P52 by default in the PU. Think it was a forum dev post. Doubt I'll find it now but I'll try to track it down :p

Geist-

Has any of you played Elite? It also has gimbaled weapons, but mouse vs. HOTAS vs. gamepad discussions are not among all the "hot topics" associated with Elite (the usual lack of content etc.). Having played it with both, mouse and HOTAS, I can confirm that either model work really well in Elite. I'd take that as indication that Frontier did something right with their model. What's stopping Star Citizen from implementing a similar model?

For reference: There is no direct gimbal/turret control in Elite, yet (maybe there will be, if multicrews will ever be implemented). Such weapons are all AI controlled and follow the currently selected target by themselves. Of course, their movements are slightly limited and not instantaneous. They can also be "confused", if the opponents ship uses chaff or electric counter measures. In contrast to Star Citizen's ship designs though, every weapon hardpoint in Elite can either be fitted with a gimbaled weapon or a fixed version. The fixed versions are cheaper, use less energy and have a slightly increased damage output.

I have a feeling that the reason CIG is so reluctant to change their gimbal system is that they're betting their horses on the proliferation of VR once the Rift and the Vive are released. Track-ir is a bit iffy, but I've heard very good things about Rift controlled gimbals (some people think it beats M&K) and CIG is probably waiting for that to see how widespread the use of VR is before making too many big design decisions regarding it.

I mean, head-controlled weapons sounds awesome, and it's the main reason I hope they don't get rid of gimbaled weapons.

I'm not saying we should ignore the issue, because the arguments at hand are valid complaints. However, I feel like we are beating a dead horse with the discussion we're having now. I'm reserving my judgement on the system until AC 2.0 to see if they changed things around.

On the issue itself, I think it will always be hard to balance the wide range of control options on each other. My take would be that for competitive play like Arena Commander dogfighting style in the final game, you could have multiple rankings where only one type of control option is allowed. Seems to be the most fair way at this time.

The reason it's important even now is the stage of game development. This isn't a complaint like damage values or features, it is a core gameplay mechanic. It needs to be voiced and resolved before S42 at least. So far we don't even have a clear message from CIG on what the plan or target is. With an *alleged* time frame of end of year for S42 its is a cause for great concern. S42 performance is also meant to impact your standing in the PU so it matters in the near and long term.

I have a feeling that the reason CIG is so reluctant to change their gimbal system is that they're betting their horses on the proliferation of VR once the Rift and the Vive are released. Track-ir is a bit iffy, but I've heard very good things about Rift controlled gimbals (some people think it beats M&K) and CIG is probably waiting for that to see how widespread the use of VR is before making too many big design decisions regarding it.

I mean, head-controlled weapons sounds awesome, and it's the main reason I hope they don't get rid of gimbaled weapons.

See I don't mind have the gimbaled weapons, as long as they do not control flight. Currently with IM it would be like the ship following your head movements with OR, which would be disorienting to say the least.

tuxfool

Banned

Then you have problems whereby those with VR have even greater advantages than those without.

See I don't mind have the gimbaled weapons, as long as they do not control flight. Currently with IM it would be like the ship following your head movements with OR, which would be disorienting to say the least.

Apparently movement following head motion, is used quite naturally on some VR games.

A few pages ago (maybe more) someone posted a youtube video series that focuses on the lore and in game history.
Could one of you fine people who might know what i'm talking about post the link for me.

I quite like it so far.

You're doing good work, Shy! Providing some actual interesting Star Citizen content within a maelstrom of boring cyclical gimbal discussions ;) will give this a watch.

I quite like it so far.

You're doing good work, Shy! Providing some actual interesting Star Citizen content within a maelstrom of boring cyclical gimbal discussions ;) will give this a watch.

lol, Indeed. Thank you for the link Shy!

viveks86

Downloading now. This client hogs absolutely every ounce of bandwidth I have left. Downloading at 17 MB/s!! Had to use the 4G on my phone to even be able to open Gaf. Lol

viveks86

Whoa! This game looks crazy good at 4K. Runs at low 50s for the most part, with some dips to mid 40s. Quite a bit of shader aliasing too, which I guess will be fixed. Hope I'd be able to play SQ42 at 4K60 with optimization (or max settings in VR). But yeah, the youtube videos don't do justice to the level of detail and texture quality. Simply stunning, especially for such an early build!

starcitizen2015-08-16pcuqf.png

starcitizen2015-08-169lueu.png

Whoa! This game looks crazy good at 4K. Runs at low 50s for the most part, with some dips to mid 40s. Quite a bit of shader aliasing too, which I guess will be fixed. Hope I'd be able to play SQ42 at 4K60 with optimization (or max settings in VR). But yeah, the youtube videos don't do justice to the level of detail and texture quality. Simply stunning, especially for such an early build!

starcitizen2015-08-16pcuqf.png

starcitizen2015-08-169lueu.png

After having played the game in 1080p for so long I can only agree that its texture and model quality are prime for 4K and higher.

Can you load up the training module? I do not have the free version, so I don't know. That runs the worst / has the best lighting.

viveks86

I dont think so, at least not on the max setting. Max settings will be future proof even for 2x titans.

You had to burst my bubble didn't u? :'(

After having played the game in 1080p for so long I can only agree that its texture and model quality are prime for 4K and higher.

Can you load up the training module? I do not have the free version, so I don't know. That runs the worst / has the best lighting.

Nope. It's disabled

viveks86

I think you could end up managing 30 fps with some PPAA in the final game. But I generally expect the highest settings to get heavier and heavier over time.

Hmm... I'd probably settle for 1620p or 1440p with good AA. Wonder what I'd be able to get out of it in VR. Hope they fully utilize Gameworks VR.

Daedardus

I heard a very sad thing, today. Illfonic, the team behind the fps module has been fired.
I don't know the specifics and the source is a friend of a friend so it might not be that reliable. If I find anymore info I'll make sure to post it here.

Is that friend of a friend knowledgeable in the games industry? Are you yourself? Maybe he claimed something at the dinner table and it falsely spread around.

Schryver

Tried the free deal this weekend. Pretty fun! I think I practically fried my CPU and video card though. Probably time to clean my case out or something

... Alright! Let's get the wild speculation mill started!

If true, I wonder how that work vacuum will be filled. I know that RSI had sent some of their own engineers in to help out with the FPS, but axing an entire studio? That kind of move would surely only be made if there was some kind of replacement strategy in mind.

viveks86

I think that speaks he validity of the claim.

This game is supporting tons of stuff, I would imagine they will )they already, according to AMD, implemented single eye SFR on Mantle).

It seems like they are closer with AMD than Nvidia though? Wonder what that means for VR optimizations.

tuxfool

Banned
It seems like they are closer with AMD than Nvidia though? Wonder what that means for VR optimizations.

I'd assume AMD would want them to be a test case for LiquidVR.

However on the whole, despite promotional deals with AMD the game seems to be fairly agnostic to all hardware.

This just in, my source (whose face has been distorted for protecting his/her identity) says that the game has been canceled.
notchristrobertsqrsf9.jpg

and I quote "Sorry suckers, the latest Porsche model is just too cool."

KKRT00

This just in, my source (whose face has been distorted for protecting his/her identity) says that the game has been canceled.
notchristrobertsqrsf9.jpg

and I quote "Sorry suckers, the latest Porsche model is just too cool."

Repair Bears told me that he is lying.

======

Systems and countermeasure management is nothing new. Those are all 1-2 touch things to manage.People fly just fine in sims with far more complex engine and avionics management. If they don't want to learn it then assists can help, but it wouldn't be as good as mastering it yourself.
EW and managing systems can be really deep, just look at EVE's EW and systems. Its definitely not 1-2 touch thing.
And what are those sims You are talking about? You still havent mentioned even one title.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
IllFonic sees layoffs

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Star Citizen support studio cuts half-dozen staffers as work on crowdfunded game's FPS module nears completion

Denver-based development studio IllFonic has cut staff. GamesIndustry.biz has confirmed some of the details contained in a Facebook post from developer (and vocal critic of Star Citizen creator Cloud Imperium Games) Derek Smart indicating that the studio, which has been at work on the first-person shooter module for Star Citizen, trimmed its headcount recently.

"We have laid off 6 members of our staff," IllFonic president Charles Brungardt told GI.biz. "Actually, only three of those were on the Star Citizen team. However, our work for Star Citizen on the FPS module is almost completed, so we are also reassigning more and more members of that team to other projects. Unfortunately we didn't have room for all positions on our other projects and had to lay some people off, which is never an easy decision."

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So this is what was interpreted as CIG firing Illfonic?! LOL. Rumors, how do they work?

Such spin there. Let 3 people go because project is almost completed and winding down -> firing studio and starting over because project failed.

Still trying to form those associations to leech attention.

Zalusithix

Such spin there. Let 3 people go because project is almost completed and winding down -> firing studio and starting over because project failed.

Still trying to form those associations to leech attention.

I guess we can look forward to this sort of stuff more as SC gets closer to release. Instead of "Star Citizen nears completion!", we'll see "Massive layoffs at studios working on Star Citizen!". Not to say that it doesn't suck for those that'll end up having to look for new work, but it's not exactly something unique in the industry. There's no way they can keep the current work force in perpetuity, so letting people go is just a sad reality of the situation.

Edit: Minor update made to the roster sheet to correct some logic. Not worth a new post, but I figure I'll bring it up just the same. I forgot to flag the vlookup ranges as not being sorted which was causing the manufacturer and role counts to be a bit messed up. Everything else was fine (or at least should be).

I guess we can look forward to this sort of stuff more as SC gets closer to release. Instead of "Star Citizen nears completion!", we'll see "Massive layoffs at studios working on Star Citizen!". Not to say that it doesn't suck for those that'll end up having to look for new work, but it's not exactly something unique in the industry. There's no way they can keep the current work force in perpetuity, so letting people go is just a sad reality of the situation.

I swear though SC gets this kind of press more than other games due to its "rebel" like status in the industry. The idea of this game being succesful, producing, and generally just being what it is makes a lot of people rather upset I think...

tuxfool

Banned

It is a good thing that SC employs a lot of external contractors. Frankly, the game business would be better off following the Movie business, where companies are temporarily formed for individual projects and then disbanded once the film is done. It would also require some sort of union as free agents would have fewer opportunities for negotiation.

Zabojnik

An amazing turn of events, lol.

It would mean giving the guy even more exposure, but I'd really like to hear what CR has to say about Derek Smart.

An amazing turn of events, lol.

It would mean giving the guy even more exposure, but I'd really like to hear what CR has to say about Derek Smart.

CR did already speak about that guy at gamescom and made it pretty clear without using certain words that. DS should mind his own business and that he's a no talent cunt with a bunch of shit games to his name.

Which got under DS skin pretty mightily.

Zabojnik

CR did already speak about that guy at gamescom and made it pretty clear without using certain words that. DS should mind his own business and that he's a no talent cunt with a bunch of shit games to his name.

I must've missed that, thanks. Well, that escalated quickly.

Shy

Hi guys.
So here's another lore/timeline video. however this one is 7 minutes long. This video take a bullet point approach, rather than acting out eatch entry. (but no information is lost)

Please tell there's a link to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom