• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

viveks86

What is up with the weird checkered texture pattern? Hope that's a glitch

starcitizen2015-08-16jgse0.png

See it on his glove as well

starcitizen2015-08-16v1s4l.png

KKRT00

I swear though SC gets this kind of press more than other games due to its "rebel" like status in the industry. The idea of this game being succesful, producing, and generally just being what it is makes a lot of people rather upset I think...

Maybe, because people are too used to 'AAA' games with shit amount of content and just cant believe that their beloved studios are not as good as they claim to be and do not produce really masterpieces they are reviewed on.

---
And? What was the conclusion? I'd be happy if you could point me to any posts, where the benefits of or arguments against implementing such a system in Star Citizen had been discussed.
I dont have links at hand. It is probably discussed somewhere 30 pages back.

Daedardus

Well, in a way Illfonic seem te be laid off. Looks like they are replacing Illfonic team members by staff of their own, which isn't actually a bad choice in my opinion for reasons stated a few days earlier.

Well, in a way Illfonic seem te be laid off. Looks like they are replacing Illfonic team members by staff of their own, which isn't actually a bad choice in my opinion for reasons stated a few days earlier.

Yeah, the way Illfonic are wording the whole "our work on Star Citizen FPS is nearly complete" seems strange. Unless they were contracted just to do the building blocks for the FPS and then that work was to be handed over to CIG for them to actually build the game, it could be that the issues they faced with it were really too much for them and CIG has decided to let them go and go forward with an internal team.

Either way, I'm not going to worry about it. I was already in too deep before Gamescom, and what I saw at Gamescom has left me satisfied. I wish they were a bit faster, but I rather they take some time to make it good than rush.

Daedardus

Either way, I'm not going to worry about it. I was already in too deep before Gamescom, and what I saw at Gamescom has left me satisfied. I wish they were a bit faster, but I rather they take some time to make it good than rush.

A rushed game is forever bad, but a delayed game brings in many Ferrari's.
- Chris Roberts, Cloud Imperium Games Founder

The glove is actually untextured and does not even have normal maps right now, hence why it looks wrong.

What is going on with the ship texture? Not exactly sure, a number of textured surfaces do that in the game and I think it is something with cryengine. Not sure to be honest.

starcitizen2015-08-16jgse0.png

See it on his glove as well

starcitizen2015-08-16v1s4l.png

I figured it out, it is not a texture pattern by default... rather how the area light shadows look when they are far away from their origin (an aritfact of their resolution and filtering).
Look at these shadows here and compare places where the umbra/penumbra are with the places where there is no shadowing:
starcitizen_2015_08_1ynbug.png

starcitizen_2015_08_1zfl0n.png

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Such spin there. Let 3 people go because project is almost completed and winding down -> firing studio and starting over because project failed.

Still trying to form those associations to leech attention.

Well, here's how I interpret things by reading between the lines: CIG has told IllFonic that its own studios will take it from here; IllFonic's services aren't needed anymore outside of perhaps a little support ("You didn't comment this part of your code, what the hell does it do?"). So IllFonic is shifting basically all of its Star Citizen staff over to the MMO it's working on. In doing so, three of those people were made redundant, as there are more talented people working in their positions on the MMO already, so they were laid off. Likewise, three people already working on the MMO were laid off because they're being replaced by dudes coming over from working on Star Citizen.

So saying that IllFonic was "fired" from Star Citizen still may not be wrong. GamesIndustry.biz is just reporting what the CEO has said — that six people were laid off and that their work on Star Citizen is "winding down" so people are moving to "other projects."

viveks86

I figured it out, it is not a texture pattern by default... rather how the area light shadows look when they are far away from their origin (an aritfact of their resolution and filtering).
Look at these shadows here and compare places where the umbra/penumbra are with the places where there is no shadowing:

starcitizen_2015_08_1zfl0n.png

Interesting. Nice catch!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well, here's how I interpret things by reading between the lines: CIG has told IllFonic that its own studios will take it from here; IllFonic's services aren't needed anymore outside of perhaps a little support ("You didn't comment this part of your code, what the hell does it do?"). So IllFonic is shifting basically all of its Star Citizen staff over to the MMO it's working on. In doing so, three of those people were made redundant, as there are more talented people working in their positions on the MMO already, so they were laid off. Likewise, three people already working on the MMO were laid off because they're being replaced by dudes coming over from working on Star Citizen.

So saying that IllFonic was "fired" from Star Citizen still may not be wrong. GamesIndustry.biz is just reporting what the CEO has said — that six people were laid off and that their work on Star Citizen is "winding down" so people are moving to "other projects."

That's true, they are specifically talking about their company's role with the FPS module winding down rather than the overall project.

Edit: yup, there it is.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...mperium-moving-more-star-citizen-dev-internal

Geist-

This article was just put up on Kotaku and it's driving the Community a bit mad.

But one ex-employee who worked closely with Cloud Imperium’s higher-ups is worried.

“The difficult thing is [the team] can’t all have the same vision as Chris Roberts because he always is thinking five, ten, or fifteen years into the future of what people would want to experience,” that employee said. “It’s hard for 200 people to create the content Chris envisions at the quality bar that he expects. He has nothing but the [most] talented developers around him. Unfortunately, time is their enemy, and it’s hitting them hard because the community is ranting and raving about when the release of the game is coming out, rather than being understanding that this is a whole new experience. I think it’s going to fail multiple times before Chris Roberts and his team of Avengers get it right."

Nothing really damning in it, and hard to verify since the sources are "anonymous".

But the game is not "taking long". There are some small games that take a longer time to create.

Sh. Please be worried.

But seriously, the game has been in full dev for a relatively short amount of time for a game, let alone an MMO of this ambition. And yet we have seen what we have seen and know SQ42 and pu are even further ahead than what has been demod.

This game attracts so much 'manufactured' drama... I swear.

But the game is not "taking long". There are some small games that take a longer time to create.

Yeah it's really not. The Kickstarter was launched, what fall 2012? Granted they'd probably started before then, but even if that's the case 3 or 4 years really isn't too crazy. If they've been in full scale development for 3 years this fall than, yeah, for a game this size and this ambitious it really isn't crazy. Halo and CoD are on three year cycles. I think it just feels long from some because of how many eyes are looking at it, wanting more and more. And the model of its funding and of its development draws even more attention. I'd only say it's been in development for a long time if nothing more releases for another, oh I don't know, two years.

Hell, The Witness will end up taking as long as or more then Star Citizen. : (

This article was just put up on Kotaku and it's driving the Community a bit mad.

Nothing really damning in it, and hard to verify since the sources are "anonymous".

Hmmm

so is it 200 or..

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

" “I know that people say, ‘They're probably spending all the money on Ferraris,’” Roberts says. “But we really are working on the game! We have four studios!” It's true—there are additional studios in Texas and the UK, and a new one is opening in Germany. All told, some 320 people are laboring on Star Citizen."

One would think someone who would have been working on game would know how many people are apart of the product. And one of Chris's predictions at gamescom rang true already.

"I think that's the problem with today and the internet: people that are willing to be keyboard warriors and be loud have a platform they wouldn't have had in the past. Then of course everyone likes sensationalists and people slinging mud around. I think the game's going to speak for itself. I definitely know that what people care about is a good game more than anything else. At the end of the day, if it's a bit late and it's great, that's what counts. If it's crap and you push it out the door, it's crap forever."

Basically this SC is a failure drum is going to beaten no matter what is shown, no matter how open the development has been until the alpha is released. And even after that I am sure some will try to point out the fact that it is in alpha state or throw around incorrect assumptions about other AAA mainstream titles being made in only two years.

All I know is...

If CIG wasn't making this game all I'd have to look forward to over the next two years is Destiny 2 and Elite Dangerous.

Neither of which is what I want. Star Citizen is, so I'm willing to pay for it and I'm willing to wait for it.

PERIOD.

Raticus79

Geist-

They have another two years before I start to get concerned about the MMO portion.

Ditto. People are seriously comparing development to Duke Nukem Forever (a game that, remember, took over a decade to make and went through multiple studios). It's been 2 1/2 years, have some fucking patience.

Raticus79

How pervasive is the XML editing (or other cheating) in public games right now? Always seems to be one person who is just an order of magnitude above the rest.

As far as I can tell, there was a re-encrypt tool included in the accidental leak which people were using to re-encrypt their edited scripts.pak, but CIG recently changed the key so people shouldn't be able to do that any more. Wondering if people still have a way to re-encrypt scripts.pak or people are just working with inventory.xml (which is supposed to have a bunch of checks on it)

Geist-

Not sure if this was posted yet.

Saitek HOTAS & Peripherals Analysis + Saitek Q&A

Mr Daniel Nuth said:
"We have a very good working relationship with CIG. Their team visit us and vice versa, and they provided us with a broad idea of what they expected for any licensed peripherals. We also have a number of avid space sim gamers in our office, as well as people who are new to these types of games. Their game testing and feedback is crucial for the design of the new products. For example, the concept images show fully integrated trackballs on the new controller. These are critical for improving gimbaled weapon aiming above and beyond what is currently achievable. We also needed to improve the strafe control for added freedom of movement. This, we believe to be vital for complex manoeuvres during landing, take-off, docking and combat, so, we have taken steps to make this is easy as possible for the user. Finally, we wanted to present a modular range, so that customers could build and expand their ideal setup with different controllers. This is at the core of the Mad Catz and Saitek philosophy, so it makes perfect sense for these products to interface and connect with each other, enabling users to create the perfect control setup."

They made a good point about the Saitek fighting game controller they made, it is very high quality. And the other joystick manufacturers haven't made a new joystick in years.

Zalusithix

They made a good point about the Saitek fighting game controller they made, it is very high quality. And the other joystick manufacturers haven't made a new joystick in years.
As far as the new joystick in years thing goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's only with Elite and SC that we have any need for a new HOTAS. For traditional flight models, something like the warthog is as good as ever. The tech is about as advanced as you'll get without increasing the cost more.

Varvor

As far as the new joystick in years thing goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's only with Elite and SC that we have any need for a new HOTAS. For traditional flight models, something like the warthog is as good as ever. The tech is about as advanced as you'll get without increasing the cost more.

I have X-55 and i feel that i need more buttons for SC (For Ellite its fine) to serve all my needs, but what has me interested is the trackball function.

Sadly looking at the pictures of high end model, i do not see as many buttons ar easy reach as X-55 had. But perhaps back dashboard and touch displat will serve just as well.

Zalusithix

I have X-55 and i feel that i need more buttons for SC (For Ellite its fine) to serve all my needs, but what has me interested is the trackball function.

Sadly looking at the pictures of high end model, i do not see as many buttons ar easy reach as X-55 had. But perhaps back dashboard and touch displat will serve just as well.

If that is actually an interactive display on the joystick, its functionality is going to be... questionable. Given the lack of any tactile nature, you'll have to look down to see what you're doing, and what's worse, you'll either have to remove your hand from the stick to use it, or cross your left hand over to the right side. Neither situation is all that great.

Geist-

Those were almost certainly very, very early mockups. I can't imagine otherwise considering they were pretty much slightly modified x52 and x55 sticks and I believe CIG mentioned non-operational.

Personally, if the high-end stick is the next evolution of the X65, and comes with a force sensing stick, I'd definitely consider getting one (assuming they fix the position of the touch screen).

The glove is actually untextured and does not even have normal maps right now, hence why it looks wrong.

What is going on with the ship texture? Not exactly sure, a number of textured surfaces do that in the game and I think it is something with cryengine. Not sure to be honest.

So that's what's wrong with that armour. I always thought the texture work looked awful.

Zalusithix

Those were almost certainly very, very early mockups. I can't imagine otherwise considering they were pretty much slightly modified x52 and x55 sticks and I believe CIG mentioned non-operational.

Personally, if the high-end stick is the next evolution of the X65, and comes with a force sensing stick, I'd definitely consider getting one (assuming they fix the position of the touch screen).

Force sensing stick? I wouldn't get your hopes up. It wasn't exactly a big hit the last time they tried it. Safer bet for them to stick with traditional stick movement.

Still concerned over the talk of aiming with trackball while flying. It's one thing to rub your stomach and pat your head, it's another to make circles with your thumb and counter circles with your wrist at the same time. Having analogue as strafe is welcome prospect. Current I have the hat on the throttle for absolute strafing control and the dials as a analogue for landing/ takeoff.

Would've preferred a nub stick simply for the auto-centering nature though. Seems more intuitive than (presumably) having to center the ball after movement. Then the ball needs some sort of tactile "this is dead center."

Curious how you need more buttons? I have the X-55 and really I feel covered with all the functions except ship menu which I have on the keyboard.

SmartBase

Assuming it isn't and money isn't an issue, there's always the FSSB R3 + Warthog stick route if you really want a force sensing stick.

Yeah I looked these up way back when the Cougar was a thing, couldn't justify the price then and can't justify it now. Guess that's why a Saitek offering would be a nice option.

Zalusithix

Yeah I looked these up way back when the Cougar was a thing, couldn't justify the price then and can't justify it now. Guess that's why a Saitek offering would be a nice option.

Yep, I've been curious, but nearly $500 is a tough pill to swallow for something that I'm not even sure that I'll like. Then again, with the tech behind something like that, it might not worthwhile to go for anything but the best. A half-assed force sensing stick will be worse than a half-assed traditional stick.

Burny

Even worse: It would seemingly be a poor investment for Star Citizen.

Anybody having bought an expensive HOTAS in anticipation of Star Citizen is now more or less "screwed". If their reveal of HOTAS with trackballs is any indication, they're aiming to fix the balance issues by building hardware around the issue, rather than adapting the gimbal/flight model to fit the existing HOTAS setups and put mouse/keyboard setups on equal ground control wise. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm mistaken!), none of the currently available HOTAS offers trackballs.

I'm thinking of adapting a kind of Frankenstein configuration for Star Citizen:

Mouse + Keyboard, a good throttle with an analogue stick for lateral movement (CH Products Throttle) and rudder pedals for rolling (I'm still eyeing the slaw device. My wallet am cry etc. >.<).

One thing I certainly won't do, both on principle and because I'm not completely happy with the robustness of my Saitek X52 Pro, is to buy a new Saitek HOTAS, especially designed for Star Citizen.

Zalusithix

I don't buy into the idea that the joystick's trackball is a good solution to gimbal aiming. Controlling gimbals with a trackball is already clumsy compared to a mouse. Controlling them with a thumb based trackball in a joystick is going to be awkward at best, and next to useless at worst. Besides, my thumb is already busy with other functions. I'd either have to remap damn near everything to be controlled by the left hand, or stop doing them to aim.

I'd rather have a good stick to do the things the stick is supposed to do rather than have a gimmick embedded into a mediocre one.

If the gimbal aim has to be controlled by something in a HOTAS, I'm partial to an analog stick on the throttle.

Burny

If the gimbal aim has to be controlled by something in a HOTAS, I'm partial to an analog stick on the throttle.

Ugh...

While I have no idea if I'd hit anything using auch a trackball, I'd still be far Mir confident in using that for gimbals then an analogue stick slapped on a Joystick. I already can't aim with those on a gamepad if it isn't for aim assist in consoles. Not to mention aiming over long distances in a Space sim.

Preferences etc.

That's why I'm considering such a Frankenstein setup. Not that I'm anywhere near a competent shooter player (still sad this is what star Citizen will seemingly boil down to), but at least with a mouse, I feel like it's my fault rather than me being unable to do quick, precise minuscule movements on a stick with little travel, in order to bring a pointer across a huge image onto a small target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom