• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
If you want to have some real fun with friends, it's better to wait until the new batch of multiperson ships come available (Orion, Surveyor, 890). Those will still take at least a year before they're flyable in the dogfighting module though. So wait! Don't buy anything you can't immediately make use of (because when you finally can, it is 99% likely to go on sale again).
Now that's the info I was looking for. TYVM.

Daedardus

We really need to stop talking about a PS4 port and start talking about the real future of gaming: iOS. In three years, when this game finally goes in beta (maybe), mobile will have more powerful GPUs and CPUs than a PS4 anyway. Besides, 900 years from now, everything will be controlled with touchscreens instead of inferior buttons.

Blizzard

Banned
We really need to stop talking about a PS4 port and start talking about the real future of gaming: iOS. In three years, when this game finally goes in beta (maybe), mobile will have more powerful GPUs and CPUs than a PS4 anyway. Besides, 900 years from now, everything will be controlled with touchscreens instead of inferior buttons.
My sarcasm detector printed out "Answer hazy, try again later," so I'm not sure how to take your post. :p

If you are being serious, maybe the future will be like that, but one of the last things I would want in a fighter jet, spaceship, or basically any aircraft that may experience shocks and turbulence, is touch controls. They can be finicky even in a GOOD environment, and I think a button or switch is far easier to reliably operate with gloves under duress.

epmode

I think Daedardus reads too many non-GAF Star Citizen threads. This forum is comparatively tame outside of the occasional funding update thread.

CTLance

Nnnnope, not gonna bite on that one. Not trusting my Sarcasmotron for the rest of the night at the very least.
CTLance, it's me, Zabojnik. Please activate your sarcasm / irony / whatever detector. <3
<3 <3 <3

Dammit, Multitasking strikes again. :-/

Err, I mean:

How dare you mislead me, uncouth heathen!

scakko84

Just a question, will i lose my ship while dogfighting in the arena commander?

i've tried to google it but haven't found an answer yet.

Evrae

Banned
Arena Commander is not the persistent universe.

It is a simulation.

Your ship is safe in a simulation.

When the Persistent Universe rolls out, with stars and planets to travel to and from, then your ship will be in danger.

scakko84

There are multiple game modes in Arena Commander (including FFA and single player vs AI), which, among many other things, are listed or linked to in the OP if you'd like more info.

Sorry, must have missed the list... thank you.

Edit:

Found, it's really been a long day, sorry.

Daedardus

I think Daedardus reads too many non-GAF Star Citizen threads. This forum is comparatively tame outside of the occasional funding update thread.

Actually, I avoid them like the plague. My posts are the satirical embodiment of the collective GAF-hivemind.

Touch controls won't even be the standard. Everything would be linked directly to your brain. Or some holographic fields that respond to electrical pressure, but certainly no actual buttons.

mkenyon

Banned
Brain activated impulse buttons are known to have high amounts of input lag. And if you don't have v/g/x/y-sync enabled, the stuttering gets so bad it will cause you to have seizures.

I feel like I have to embody the overly technical hivemind of GAF to counter your points

Mindlog

Actually, I avoid them like the plague. My posts are the satirical embodiment of the collective GAF-hivemind.

Touch controls won't even be the standard. Everything would be linked directly to your brain. Or some holographic fields that respond to electrical pressure, but certainly no actual buttons.
Oh snap.
I just figured out the ultimate controller.
hA97Afu.jpg

Looks like my massive theremin investments are about to pay off.
Jackpot.

Daedardus

Brain activated impulse buttons are known to have high amounts of input lag. And if you don't have v/g/x/y-sync enabled, the stuttering gets so bad it will cause you to have seizures.

Well, by brain activated I hope they'll use a oneway connection, only allowing your brain to control the ship and not the other way around. Else we'll have the perfect scenario for a new space horror apocalypse film.

Oh snap.
I just figured out the ultimate controller.

Looks like my massive theremin investments are about to pay off.
Jackpot.

Theremin support should be the $50 million stretch goal.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...chassis_upgrade_info_aurora_to_surveyor_sure/

This person asked about upgrading from one ship to another while keeping the existing LTI package. Looks like they'll be adding options for everything except the really high end stuff like Idris and Scythe.

Good news for me. I had been sticking with the Constellation due to the collector's edition stuff that comes with that package, but I expect there will probably be another ship down the line which is more appealing for me. Nice to have the upgrade option.

Keasar

With some Gladius squadrons converting to the wider deployment of the F7A Hornet and the introduction of the F8 Lightning to elite units

Wait, there is something even cooler than the Hornets?

Daedardus

I love it. I'd never buy it, but it looks like a proper military ship.

The ship isn't bad. But $80? $80?! Is there anyone who will buy this? It looks like a ship you'd only fly if you got it as a loaner.

This means it'll be a full ship and not some empty hull though.

epmode

The ship isn't bad. But $80? $80?!

These purchases are funding the game, I know but I'm concerned about the final economy. CIG obviously realized that they tapped a goddamned whale mother lode and it's very possible that they'll decide to cater to these guys over the rank and file. Just because there's some kind of nebulous limit on currency purchases doesn't mean that they won't encourage it with overpriced everything.

At least there's a single player campaign.

Zabojnik

Cap ships will be great and all, but I'm actually far more excited about small & nimble two-seater ships like the Gladiator. Just you and your bro / best buddy against the enemy. Tight communication, well-defined roles, no clusterfuck, just pure combat efficiency.

Daedardus

Are you really asking this, lol? :)

Let people buy whatever the hell they want. As long as I'm not forced to and the money goes into developing the game, I perfectly okay with it. #profit

I don't mind them selling it, but they should at least give out value for the money. Yes, the Avenger isn't cheap either, but this looks more like a $45 ship rather than $80.

And they're late with the 48 mil funding goal announcement.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't mind them selling it, but they should at least give out value for the money. Yes, the Avenger isn't cheap either, but this looks more like a $45 ship rather than $80.

And they're late with the 48 mil funding goal announcement.
My thoughts too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
In case anyone missed it, the $48 million announcement went up last night. In it, Chris Roberts detailed the $50 million stretch goal:

Chris Roberts said:
We’ve come up with one for the $50 million goal that we think will truly improve the immersion, and help make Star Citizen a living, breathing world:

• Alien Languages – Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen’s aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!
I’m excited about this one… and looking forward to meeting the first fan who learns to speak one of our languages!

He also reminded everyone that the $48 million stretch goal was to put a Retaliator commercial into production, which will happen after the Constellation and Cutlass commercials.

He briefly talked about the team narrowing down the cause of all the problems with multiplayer Arena Commander.

Lastly, he mentioned that Behaviour in Canada is working on the Stanton III planetside locations, and posted some screenshots of concept art for those.

Soi-Fong

So I was messing around with AC, more to test Shadowplay out. Managed to catch a few interesting clips:

Some nice shooting if I do say so myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvoC2_somTE
Me getting shot to hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWEZjbH8k60
The awesome debris system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDDHJoeCwLE

So far SC AC is has been pretty interesting for me so far, no two vanduul swarm matches have been identical.

Man.. They really need to fix the flight model. You did a 180 yaw in less than three seconds at :36 on the debris video..

That's way too fast. No point in having someone on your tail.

"Man.. They really need to fix the flight model. You did a 180 yaw in less than three seconds at :36 on the debris video..

That's way too fast. No point in having someone on your tail."

I disagree, it's actually quite a bit slower than Freespace 2.

phoenixyz

Newtonian physics. Just turning your nose is very fast because, you know, in space there is no reason to turn.... really.... slow.

metalshade

Man.. They really need to fix the flight model. You did a 180 yaw in less than three seconds at :36 on the debris video..

Physics and science disagree with you, SC is marketed as being a simulation, and concentrating on physics.
I know ED does things your way, and I am having a lot of fun with it.
SC does it this way, and that's great too, as a science nerd, it makes me really happy to see.
I am pretty sure there is room on the market for 2 space games that handle differently.
No reason why either should change their flight models from their basic form.

elyetis

Speaking of flight model is there any chance to see something happen 'soon' about the ability to go up/down strafe left/right, without having to toggle decoupled on/off ?
Since I kind of stopped following most news ( 10 for chairman, etc ) about the game, did we more generaly heard about what's next to come for AC in a -close- future ? ( as in, those other single crew ships like my avenger )

Daedardus

With neglible gravity and zero drag, turning only becomes dependent on moment of inertia by applying torque thrust. The linear speed of the vehicle doesn't matter most of the time for a pure yaw, unless you want to change linear speed too. Then it will need to be limited to reduce the effects of radial acceleration.

mkenyon

Banned
"Man.. They really need to fix the flight model. You did a 180 yaw in less than three seconds at :36 on the debris video..

That's way too fast. No point in having someone on your tail."

I disagree, it's actually quite a bit slower than Freespace 2.
It's like the sim equivalent of, "they need to add ADS with a slower speed, you can move way too quickly".

I'm getting a serious Quake/Warsow vibe from the dogfighting in this so far.

With g-safe off it's even faster, but usually results in your pilot blacking/redding out depending on the vector of the turn (not perfectly lateral, etc.).

I suppose it's similar to pilots in the space shuttle; sure they're orbiting at many thousands of kph they can still perform orbital maneuvers without splattering themselves all over the interior of the flight deck.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the flight model. Consider the forces at work on pilots flying jets today, they are trained to take forces higher than the average person.

Disclaimer: I'm obviously no physicist. :)

Lumicide

Banned
With g-safe off it's even faster, but usually results in your pilot blacking/redding out depending on the vector of the turn (not perfectly lateral, etc.).

I suppose it's similar to pilots in the space shuttle; sure they're orbiting at many thousands of kph they can still perform orbital maneuvers without splattering themselves all over the interior of the flight deck.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the flight model. Consider the forces at work on pilots flying jets today, they are trained to take forces higher than the average person.

Disclaimer: I'm obviously no physicist. :)
Blackout occurs at 5g in SC, which is about the range of someone w/o a g-suit or training. The max rotation rates are ~90º/s, Elite's highest is 40º/s (I think? I don't know where that graph for the vehicle performance that someone made is...).

Personally I think the rotation rates are too fast to have dogfighting, just dogs chasing their tails. And the yaw rate being so high makes it fine corrections for aiming irritating, not that it really matters with the gimbals the way they are...

Physics and science disagree with you, SC is marketed as being a simulation, and concentrating on physics.
I know ED does things your way, and I am having a lot of fun with it.
SC does it this way, and that's great too, as a science nerd, it makes me really happy to see.
I am pretty sure there is room on the market for 2 space games that handle differently.
No reason why either should change their flight models from their basic form.

Something I find funny
SC:
No 6DOF
Tiny scale solar systems (< 1:100)
Tiny "Galaxy"
Magical Space Gravity
Vehicles seem to lack of space for fuel tanks
Realistic thruster outputs

ED:
6DOF
1:1 Scale solar systems
Entire galaxy
Have to spin/accelerate things to simulate the effects of gravity while in space
Can't be sure for certain, but appear to have space for something besides rooms.
Thruster output is dynamic and dependent on % of max speed

Compromising some on moment to moment gameplay for fun, = not at all simulation.
Compromising on everything else besides thruster outputs, = god tier sim.

Something I find funny
SC:
No 6DOF
Tiny scale solar systems (< 1:100)
Tiny "Galaxy"
Magical Space Gravity
Vehicles seem to lack of space for fuel tanks
Realistic thruster outputs

ED:
6DOF
1:1 Scale solar systems
Entire galaxy
Have to spin/accelerate things to simulate the effects of gravity while in space
Can't be sure for certain, but appear to have space for something besides rooms.
Thruster output is dynamic and dependent on % of max speed

Compromising some on moment to moment gameplay for fun, = not at all simulation.
Compromising on everything else besides thruster outputs, = god tier sim.

Yes, let us forget that the engine provides 6DOF and the controls are the only limiting factor, controls which are still in development and they have said will change. Let's also forget that the entire reason systems are small is because of the in-fiction limit of 0.2C travel, meaning realistically sized systems would take ages to cross and be no fun.

Oh, I guess we should also not consider that SC has fewer systems because they're all handmade and not procedurally generated. Sure there's fewer, but each will have its own individual character and actually be interesting instead of just another point on a map. Guess quantity is better than quality though, huh?

Actually I don't even get what you mean by space gravity. You mean the artificial gravity in ships? ED doesn't even HAVE ship interiors, so how do you know if its ships have magical gravity or not? I'm pretty sure no one's ever complained about Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc having artificial gravity either so why are we starting now? It may not be realistic, but at the same time it's typical of this sort of sci-fi.

Eh... I will admit some of the ships seem to suffer too much from "empty shell syndrome", perhaps most notable with the Freelancer and Constellation. Still, at least with how the Constellation is now I'm pretty sure some of those "benches" or whatever up near the cockpit are meant to hold computers and probably the life support too. Worst comes to worst you can say they're kept in the nacelles, but that would be an oddly vulnerable spot to keep life support.

(For disclosure, I didn't back ED but I do kind of wish I had. At this point I just plan to wait until it comes out and play it then, but I have nothing against it and do hope it turns out well!)

Daedardus

So we're doing list wars on why one unreleased game is better than the other unreleased game? Can't we just accept that they both do things differently, and be grateful for that? I rather have two great, unique space sims rather than one good one and a me-too one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom