• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

The new video is even better! I'm seriously considering to pledge for one, but it seems like there's no mention of insurance whatsoever. And if they release the 890 Jump and it's awesome, I can always melt down this one to soothen the big spending.

Decisions, decisions...

Stop. Buying. Ships. :)

Daedardus

Stop. Buying. Ships. :)

I won't :). I figured they would sell it again when it gets released in the hangar so it's better to wait. I need the money for an 890 Jump :D. Or that sexy looking Constellation. I want to travel space in style, not as a simple plebeian. That makes me even wonder if there's a Star Citizen equivalent for a patrician, seeing as the whole citizenship thing is based of Rome.

I just got into this and I am hoping for the best. My Fave of all time was starlancer. Played wing commander but never got to play freelancer. My hopes are very high because this is my fave genre. I have a Freelancer DUR for some exploration and contemplating geting a ghost and a constellation.

On a side not I tried to get into the GAF org, is anyone still maintaining that?

MrBig

On a side not I tried to get into the GAF org, is anyone still maintaining that?

Yes. I have people post/pm because there is no notification of new applications.

Right now the org is pretty much a list of gaffers so there's not much in the way of activity - we can discuss the actual function of the org when there's functions to perform.

Zabojnik

The goal of GAF's org should be turning Daedardus into a patrician and serve him, imo. Can't wait to scrub space algae off his 890 Jump.

Skyzard

Banned
Just bought.

Webms incoming.

Edit: My internet is super last gen. But the installer screen is pretty snazzy:

WeFddTu.jpg

Yes. I have people post/pm because there is no notification of new applications.

Right now the org is pretty much a list of gaffers so there's not much in the way of activity - we can discuss the actual function of the org when there's functions to perform.

Understood. Thank you for accepting.

I normally don't fall into hype but I can't lie, I am seriously anticipating this title.

Daedardus

The goal of GAF's org should be turning Daedardus into a patrician and serve him, imo. Can't wait to scrub space algae off his 890 Jump.

I will be sorely disappointed if it doesn't come with a cleaning robot. No way I'd let plebs touch my ship :p.

Also, GAF's main ship should be a Bengal, stocked full with 890s, if that's even possible.

metalshade

I hope my Cutlass and I will be welcome, and that we will be able to perform our duties of search and rescue, bounty hunting, and salvaging, all totally legitimate, I promise....

It's a good point though, will the GAF org have a goal or will be just be a bunch of guys that just don't shoot each other?
I know my personal goal in game will just be fill to my hangar with every single ship I can lay my hands on, but I would like to know that there is an overarching plan.

CTLance

Welcome to the non-existent fray, metalshade.

So far it's a pretty loose org, because the game just isn't at a point where we can or need to do anything. For now the neogaf org just serves as a repository of gaffers, to make communication easier and also to avoid any unnecessary bloodshed between fellow forumites when the time comes.

We'll probably have several arms/sub-orgs to accomodate all playstyles when shit gets serious. Don't fret. :)

Daedardus

Yes, what CTLance said is totally correct. We don't have a real need for a goal in StarCitizen now, seeing as there hardly is any game.

Aaaaaaand, we've hit 47 million. I hope we get a stre- uhh funding goal this time.

Daedardus

Great! Seems like Crytek will go bankrupt before the end of the year and now CIG has to built up the game from scratch in Unreal Engine 4.

Just kidding, but what would it mean for StarCitizen? Obviously they are the engine's biggest contractor and it would be damn stupid if they stopped receiving support. Can't they just get some Crytek employees and a lifelong free license on the engine as a compensation?

Tommyhawk

Great! Seems like Crytek will go bankrupt before the end of the year and now CIG has to built up the game from scratch in Unreal Engine 4.

Just kidding, but what would it mean for StarCitizen? Obviously they are the engine's biggest contractor and it would be damn stupid if they stopped receiving support. Can't they just get some Crytek employees and a lifelong free license on the engine as a compensation?

There shouldn't be much trouble for CIG.
They bought the code for SC and "only" need Crytek for expert advice and updates.
So if Crytek would go bankrupt they could hire some of those Crytek engineers and just keep on modifying the engine as they are already doing now.

CTLance

The more I see that damn Scout the more I regret my 350R. Still, I cannot sell that one since I want the bundled racing suit. There is no way I'm gonna drop another 100+ bucks on SC, though. Oh woe is me.

Not a fan of a Commercial as a funding goal. Not really feeling like that is a good incentive (since its existence itself spurs sales). I would, however, love me some propaganda posters. Since those are more or less textures they'd be rather easy to produce as well.

That said, I can't wait for the Cutlass ad video. Hrngh.

MrBig

There shouldn't be much trouble for CIG.
They bought the code for SC and "only" need Crytek for expert advice and updates.
So if Crytek would go bankrupt they could hire some of those Crytek engineers and just keep on modifying the engine as they are already doing now.

They licensed the engine, base code is still property of Crytek. What happens in the case of Crytek dissolving or being bought up will depend on their contract. They should be fine in any case, but there's always a potential for some other company to buy up Crytek/the cryengine ip and start bullying CIG in some way, considering the amount of potential money SC could bring in.

Skyzard

Banned
Commander pass (access to alpha) is separate to the game-ship packs?

Seems almost purposefully confusing. I had to refer to youtube...to pay them.

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog get.

Daedardus

That's because alpha access was a limited reward for new backers and has sold out some time ago. If you want alpha access you'll have to pay seperately for each module, but Arena Commander module pass is indicated next to the pledge button.

Daedardus

Daedardus' trolling is getting out of hand, loool.
I love it.

To be honest, I'm just getting tired of the same ill-founded arguments getting thrown in in every non-OT. Seems like there's nothing else to discuss aside from why it's a scam, why the devs are incompetent, why Elite is better or why this isn't coming yet to PS4. Doesn't help that most of those comments are drive-by. But I guess that's something every GAF community has to deal with, and not everyone can be informed about everything, but sometimes...

Although all those threads are the perfect way to introduce new members to the game, hardly anyone checks this thread out, unless they have a subscription.

Irobot82

To be honest, I'm just getting tired of the same ill-founded arguments getting thrown in in every non-OT. Seems like there's nothing else to discuss aside from why it's a scam, why the devs are incompetent, why Elite is better or why this isn't coming yet to PS4. Doesn't help that most of those comments are drive-by. But I guess that's something every GAF community has to deal with, and not everyone can be informed about everything, but sometimes...

Although all those threads are the perfect way to introduce new members to the game, hardly anyone checks this thread out, unless they have a subscription.

Oh thank god, you were loosing me in the other threads. If you think GAF is bad you should see SA's non OT threads...well even the OT thread is awful....

Tommyhawk

They licensed the engine, base code is still property of Crytek. What happens in the case of Crytek dissolving or being bought up will depend on their contract. They should be fine in any case, but there's always a potential for some other company to buy up Crytek/the cryengine ip and start bullying CIG in some way, considering the amount of potential money SC could bring in.

No, they didn't just licence the code, they bought it.
Here is what Erin Roberts wrote regarding this issue:

We did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code, so while we hope all the noise about Crytek blows over, as they are great partners and friends to the project,
if the worse happened we would be ok, as we’ve already branched the engine and have a large team that is adding features and supporting it every day here at CIG.
So even in the worst case scenario we should be fine, but obviously we hope it does not come to that.

Cheers,

Erin

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2895381/#Comment_2895381

But yeah, there fine either way.

To play devil's advocate, RSI could definitely improve the purchasing process. I wanted to buy a package to gift to a friend for christmas last year and the store wasn't that great to navigate. Even though I was logged in, the main store only showed individual ships to buy, not the full packages for all of them. Only by coming into the store via a different link to a specific page could I locate the package I wanted.

And it's true that they should include the arena commander option in an easier manner. Something like "NOTE - This doesn't include access to Alpha features. If you wish to add this, CLICK HERE." Or something like that.

But as it is, it's not a bad store, just a tiny bit more complicated than it needs to be.

Skyzard

Banned
The missile camera?
I'm new so I'll explain what I do as I'm not 100%:

Press missile lock on button once when in range (about 1300-1400m?).
When you have a lock-on, press the missile button again (not before!) and if you want to trigger the chase camera, hold down the missile button instead of just pressing it when you fire.

And it's true that they should include the arena commander option in an easier manner. Something like "NOTE - This doesn't include access to Alpha features. If you wish to add this, CLICK HERE." Or something like that.

But as it is, it's not a bad store, just a tiny bit more complicated than it needs to be.

I agree, the site was like navigating a too big government building or something.

MrBig

No, they didn't just licence the code, they bought it.
Here is what Erin Roberts wrote regarding this issue:

I'm not sure how they could have done a full buy-out, for then they would own Crytek's own engine - they're probably on some sort of contract that negates Crytek having an authoritative power over their use of the engine.

Daedardus

I'm not sure how they could have done a full buy-out, for then they would own Crytek's own engine - they're probably on some sort of contract that negates Crytek having an authoritative power over their use of the engine.

They could own it but not be able to sell it. Not sure if that's possible. I never understood how engine licensing works.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

They could have gotten the Crytek bigwigs drunk one night at Gamescom and convinced them to sign a very bad contract.

They could own it but not be able to sell it. Not sure if that's possible. I never understood how engine licensing works.

They have that typical full license where you can make a game, sell it, pay no royalties, have ful access to all code and documentation as well as future updates.

Pretty sure they could not sub-licence it.

Daedardus

They have that typical full license where you can make a game, sell it, pay no royalties, have ful access to all code and documentation as well as future updates.

Pretty sure they could not sub-licence it.

But if Crytek (legally) ceases to exist, wouldn't that dismantle the license?

mkenyon

Banned
I've been pretty much out of the loop since the original funding campaign. Looking for some advice.

So I have the "Digital Scout - LTI" original backers award. I see that it's selling for well over $100 on ebay. There are ships for sale that look way fucking cooler than the Digital Scout. There has to be an obvious reason why I'd want to keep this as opposed to buying a different ship and recouping costs with selling this. Please advise.

"So I have the "Digital Scout - LTI" original backers award. I see that it's selling for well over $100 on ebay. There are ships for sale that look way fucking cooler than the Digital Scout. There has to be an obvious reason why I'd want to keep this as opposed to buying a different ship and recouping costs with selling this. Please advise"

Buying a ship now won't come with Lifetime Insurance (LTI). That's pretty much it, how much that's worth to you is up to you.

mkenyon

Banned
I assume what that means is kind of like EVE? Buying a ship gives me the ability to purchase it with in-game credits, and if I get rekt then I have to buy it again - or pay for insurance with in game credits?

I have no idea whether or not that's worth it.

MrBig

I assume what that means is kind of like EVE? Buying a ship gives me the ability to purchase it with in-game credits, and if I get rekt then I have to buy it again - or pay for insurance with in game credits?

I have no idea whether or not that's worth it.

Insurance works like real-world insurance - if your ship gets destroyed by someone/thing else and no ill-intent or fraud is apparent, the provider will order you a factory-new model. LTI means you don't have to pay for insurance for that particular ship, but a claim can still be denied in the case of fraud or operating in a dangerous area, and the LTI can be revoked in such cases. Regular insurance works the same way but you must use credits to pay for it every few months (a low amount of a typical salary, as with actual insurance). Insurance with broader coverage eg cargo/weapons/upgrades/etc is not part of LTI.

Don't bother with buying anything else. When the game comes out, you'll discover what you enjoy and can move on to doing all sorts of things without worrying about whether you wasted your money on a ship after moving on to something else after a week.

phoenixyz

To play devil's advocate, RSI could definitely improve the purchasing process. I wanted to buy a package to gift to a friend for christmas last year and the store wasn't that great to navigate. Even though I was logged in, the main store only showed individual ships to buy, not the full packages for all of them. Only by coming into the store via a different link to a specific page could I locate the package I wanted.

An overhaul of the store is already in the works afaik.

epmode

I really like the Bug Smashers segments in the new video things. I wish more developers showed that kind of thing, honestly.

Zabojnik

What ship is this? I think I've seen it before somewhere ... Or maybe not. Probably something the Manchester guys have come up with for S42, I reckon. In any case, I like it.

scartwork01.png

scartwork02.png

Daedardus

Those S42 ships, are they fully modeled or are they just some empty shells with a cockpit so they can be flown in the singleplayer? I'm wondering if they'll play any role in the PU.

Those S42 ships, are they fully modeled or are they just some empty shells with a cockpit so they can be flown in the singleplayer? I'm wondering if they'll play any role in the PU.

I could imagine that for the SQ42 release, given its more single player nature with less procedural elements, they could be les fully featured than PU ships. But then, they could be modified by CIG to be thrown into the PU later.

TBH though, I have no idea and am pulling tales straight from my ass.

metalshade

One would assume that for S42, at least early on, they would just be shells, just to get them out there. Then later fill them out and release them for PU.
Maybe the non-civ versions of military ships will only be available to certain professions or something, that would be a kinda neat way to get them, you know, make your way up to ship captain rank in a PMC to gain access to a specific ship that you can't get any other (legitimate) way.

phoenixyz

Guys, I just noticed the first episode of Galactic Inquiry (the new SC show by Michael Morlan) was released. Pretty cool, especially since there is no "official" SC video content on fridays at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom