• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

I haven't bought into this project before now, how do I buy and play this? An Aurora game package and the Arena Commander pass are required, which constitutes the 'Arena Commander Starter' pack ($45). Later test module releases will require separate $5 tokens for each one (different module details follow this section). Buying the Aurora MR+ package (included in the AC starter) will give you access to the game's beta state (which would be the Persistent Universe) and the final game, including the Squadron 42 campaign, Star Citizen PU, and private servers.

Rommel

I thought those came with the beta and not the Alpha now

There is an Arena Commander pass that you can buy for $5 or there are packages (Aurora MR) for $45 that include it.

It's not a blanket Alpha like offered before, but still gives you access to the alpha components.

Ephemeris

aw man. I think I want the Cutlass Blue now. -_- Need to sell one of my 'stangs before I buy the upgrade though.

Couple months ago, I was "meh" on the Cutlass, now it's my fave somehow. :(

Which was not what was promised off the kickstarter. This is after all supposed to be "the best damn space sim ever. Roberts specifically said this would control "nothing like Freelancer...more like Wing Commander."

You're going to have to find a quote for that, because I don't remember him ever saying that it was not going to be like freelancer. A PC game, worthy of the Master Race, with full usage of power and limitless ambition, and a plethora of control options (M+KB, Joystick, pad, etc.), and with nods to Wingcommader, but never explicitly saying that it was not having anything from FL. And consider that most people only probably played Freelancer, or Starlancer.
The shitty dead zone and weird wobbling with mouse is a result of their IFCS trying to predict and assist the pilot with the movement of the ship due to the realistic physics and thruster model. Indeed, fixed guns are a pain to play with mouse. But it's not autopilot by far with COMSTAB and mouse. It just changes the dynamic since you now have to be very aware of your sliding and possible stops you might cause because of your vecotring going too off your main direction speed.

Zabojnik

Good luck playing FPS module on the HOTAS :p
Tons of people wont be even touching joysticks, like me.

You obviously don't know what you're missing, otherwise you'd repent and fly like you were meant to fly. Goddamn mouse + kb / joypad space sim peasants, ruining it for the rest of us.

You obviously don't know what you're missing, otherwise you'd repent and fly like you were meant to fly. Goddamn mouse + kb / joypad space sim peasants, ruining it for the rest of us.

After siwtching to a HOTAS, I cannot imagine flying a ship any other way.

Seriously, it feels that much more immersive and 1:1.

KKRT00

I know, i played on joystick some flight games in the past, it just doesnt appeal to me in the long run.
Same goes for wheels in car games, like i bought G25 for Gran Turismo 5 and it was fun, especially in rally mode, but in the long run i didnt like it as much as i wanted and i enjoyed playing on the sixaxis more.
Doesnt mean of course that others should follow me or that i know better, just my personal preference ;)

TrackIR on the other hand? Oh boy, cant wait when i'll get it :)

Zabojnik

I know, i played on joystick some flight games in the past, it just doesnt appeal to me in the long run.
Same goes for wheels in car games, like i bought G25 for Gran Turismo 5 and it was fun, especially in rally mode, but in the long run i didnt like it as much as i wanted and i enjoyed playing on the sixaxis more.
Doesnt mean of course that other should follow me or that i know better, just my personal preference ;)

TrackIR on the other hand? Oh boy, cant wait when i'll get it :)

Whatever, you'll be forced to join the HOTAS club when the CV of the Rift gets released anyway. :p

KKRT00

Whatever, you'll be forced to join the HOTAS club when the CV of the Rift gets released anyway. :p

Nah :), i'll just play with mouse and keyboard and i think we need a lot of time to start to use Rift or VR in general for a longer period of times. I'm thinking about VR as more like immersive tool for some few session, not as a primary display device.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wait a minute... is the avenger a police vehicle or the previous century's Hornet? I forget its lore.

Avenger is a police vehicle. The Hornet is the previous century's Hornet ... it's been in service for at least a couple hundred years.

[edit] The Hornet brochure says on Page 11, "Two hundred years of combat experience . . . ... have molded the interface between pilot and Hornet. The F7C features an array of Shiel monitors, each with a customizable interface to provide fast, accurate data to the operator in the way that you want them, when you need them. As soon as you step into the cockpit, you recognize why the Hornet can handle any kind of environment, any kind of deployment. You will be part of the tradition that has carried Humanity with ... . . . confidence throughout the universe."

Zabojnik

So what would be the best HOTAS? Preferably under $200. I need to get one later this year for this game.

Saitek X-55 Rhino (199$) is what most people will recommend you, and they'd be right to. However, since you'll be buying for Star Citizen specifically, you should know that CIG and Saitek are currently working on a SC HOTAS, which unfortunately won't be released for another 12 months, maybe more. My uneducated guess is that it'll be largly based on X-55's design & tech, but it could also be a completely new HOTAS for all we know. Knowing Saitek and how long it took them to get from the X-52 to the X-55, I kinda doubt it, but since Chris Roberts is involved, who knows.

Daedardus

Saitek X-55 Rhino (199$) is what most people will recommend you, and they'd be right to. However, since you'll be buying for Star Citizen specifically, you should know that CIG and Saitek are currently working on a SC HOTAS, which unfortunately won't be released for another 12 months, maybe more. My uneducated guess is that it'll be largly based on X-55's design & tech, but it could also be a completely new HOTAS for all we know. Knowing Saitek and how long it took them to get from the X-52 to the X-55, I kinda doubt it, but since Chris Roberts is involved, who knows.

2019 then?

Honey Bunny

Well I finally jumped in with an Aurora package. I told myself I wouldn't buy an expensive ship before the full game releases, and I'll stick to that. But I never said anything about hangars. And that VFG Industrial hangar sure is pretty.

And there were doubts
QueasyBestAnophelesmosquito.gif

Blizzard

Banned
And there were doubts
QueasyBestAnophelesmosquito.gif
The weird side-to-side rocking motion really bugs me. Why would someone do that with their own head, if this were Oculus Rift tracking? If they were using a mouse or joystick it would make even less sense, unless the keyboard includes rocking buttons, or unless it's a canned animation you have to wait on while getting out of a vehicle.

Speaking of which, it would be awesome if they let you have futuristic gravity boots or something and just jump out of your craft, instead of waiting on slow exit or ladder animations.

MrBig

The weird side-to-side rocking motion really bugs me. Why would someone do that with their own head, if this were Oculus Rift tracking? If they were using a mouse or joystick it would make even less sense, unless the keyboard includes rocking buttons, or unless it's a canned animation you have to wait on while getting out of a vehicle.

It's the same issue that been around for a long time, the camera is attached to the character's animations. Mocap stuff can need a lot of cleaning and thus far CIGs animators haven't really done a good job with the character animations.

What's the cheapest ship that lets you eject? I want to get hit by a ship. Neither Aurora or AMD ship seem to let you.

Edit: Well, the AMD ship doesn't seem to be flyable yet so of course not :p When is that happening?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What's the cheapest ship that lets you eject? I want to get hit by a ship. Neither Aurora or AMD ship seem to let you.

Edit: Well, the AMD ship doesn't seem to be flyable yet so of course not :p When is that happening?

Soon™

I think the 300i might let you eject. I know the Hornet does. Those would be the cheapest.

Murtrod

Is anyone else having issues with DL speeds? My connection is running at 50 Mbps and I can't even pull 500 KB/s out of RSI's servers...

Soon™

I think the 300i might let you eject. I know the Hornet does. Those would be the cheapest.

I can confirm the 300i has eject as well.

Anyone know when they're going to get the other two 300i variants in game (315p and 325a)? They just put in the 350r and updated the look of the 325a so I was hoping it would be added soon.

jblank83

Holy shit what the fucking what those graphics.

Once upon a time PC game development did not target the lowest common denominator, then throw in a couple of high end options (e.g. tessellation on/off). It targeted the highest, then scaled down to run on lesser hardware.

Welcome to that time.

NuMiQ

Neo Member
Finally went ahead and got me a starter HOTAS setup (Thrustmaster T-Flight, yea i'm cheap/poor like that) but I'm having a seriously hard time adjusting. Haven't played games with a joystick for ages. In fact, my old one was a MS force feedback one, which still had a gameport connector. No drivers, no nothing, so had to get something to replace it on a budget.

Any tips for flying or setting up the HOTAS? I've tried some custom setups from the forums but they're not really doing it for me. Strangely enough the default works for me for racing, but really sucks in combat mode. Found some setups that worked for combat, but then I got creamed in racing.. I'm so confused!

Currently resorting to replaying my old copies of Tie Fighter and the sequels just to get the feel back. Good space-sim tips are quite welcome as well actually.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I can confirm the 300i has eject as well.

Anyone know when they're going to get the other two 300i variants in game (315p and 325a)? They just put in the 350r and updated the look of the 325a so I was hoping it would be added soon.

They said on Around the Verse yesterday that the 325a would be added today.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So it seems that Chris Olivia, who has been chief visual officer since January 2013, is no longer with the company: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/vi...arId:1413134209290,tas:chris olivia,idx:1-2-2

Martin Galloway, the audio director, isn't at CIG anymore, either: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-galway/1/69b/727

And there are rumblings that Eric "Wingman" Peterson as well as several other Austin devs have been let go: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.c...ayoffsfirings-at-the-Austin-studio-today.html

I'm legit shook by all this.

taken from reddit http://puu.sh/cghK1/90b67d748a.jpg

valid knock against CIG is that pretty much the industry in general?

I remember this was the bearded guy who always looked pissed during his interviews who walked off wingmans hangar

Well, it's a balance between what the public wants and what they promised. I can definitely see the ridiculous hours happening when the entire company was just 70 people (a year ago). Now that they are 280, the bandwidth should be better. Still, more than any other company, they have the fans breathing behind their necks to deliver and ship content.
I'm hoping that conditions get better in time. But in this industry, that is nearly impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom