• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some unrelated google image search I stumbled upon a magazine ad for WingIV that I found interesting. Very similar to StarCitizen marketing:
538802-yyy__8_.jpg

I would not be surprised if he dude who did WingIV and other older Wingcommander Manuals works on star citizen. Wait a minute! He does! :p

Tommyhawk

Whats the difference between MR and LN? Is it worth the extra $5?

The LN has more firepower.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

The Aurora is the very basic starter ship so don't expect wonders. The Mustang (more agile and generally combat orientated) is also a starter ship and Aurora owners will get the option to swap their ship for the Mustang without additional costs when the Mustang is hangar ready.

You can also try out all ships (Aurora, 300i, 350r, Hornet and M50) that are in Arena Commander this week.

Jinroh

:- 0

My hangar is empty!!! Is it a known bug? It doesn't have any ships anymore...

edit: Ok forget it. I didn't see we could set up the hangar. Nice new settings.

Daedardus

:- 0

My hangar is empty!!! Is it a known bug? It doesn't have any ships anymore...

Yup, it's a known bug. The only fix is to buy an 890 Jump. Otherwise your ships are gone for good.

Real answer: try looking at the hangar settings in your profile on the website. You might be able to select ships there.

Jinroh

Too small for me :p

Anyway, I'm really not a fan of the new hangars. I wish they updated the old hangars to their new modular concept as well. I loved my old deluxe hangar :(

The Revel & York hangar looks so boring.

epmode

Too small for me :p

Anyway, I'm really not a fan of the new hangars. I wish they updated the old hangars to their new modular concept as well. I loved my old deluxe hangar :(

The Revel & York hangar looks so boring.

If ever an opinion was objectively wrong, it's "the old deluxe hangar was better than the new one."

MrBig

The deluxe moniker for the old hangar was a last minute addition, as it was designed as an industrial space. Perhaps an incarnation of it will appear at a later time. At present, the Self Land and AeroView hangars are closer to that aesthetic if not color palette, which you should be able to choose if you have access to the deluxe hangar.

elyetis

If you did follow the dev news, you would know they are further along than they seem now. A big part of the team is working on things for 1.0 while a smaller part keeps working to fix the 0.9 release (the problem is mostly the leaderboard system). The release schedule isn't as linear as you think, at one point it will just come together faster than you'd expect. A car can't ride even though the only thing you have to do is the put the wheels on it.
But at what point are we supposed to see that speed ? when would you say we can expect 1.0 ? then multicrew ?
While keeping in mind that mid august/gamescom :
0.9 in 2 weeks ( we are already past that, PAX / AC release the return of the vengeance, but we all knew it was coming )
1.0 in 8 weeks ( even with what you said should we still think that the 0.9 delay will have a 'linear' impact on 1.0 and be released 6 week after 0.9/not in 5 weeks now ? )
multicrew still hoping before 2014 ( don't remember how it was said exactly ).
Answering myself now that they gave their current road map, yet to see what their late 2014 will mean for 1.0, but it's pretty much a given that it won't be released this month. Which mean it was neither able to keep the 8 week after gamescon schedule, or even the 6 week after 0.9 ( even adding 0.9 delay into it ).

So their new speed won't be seen for 1.0.. or say the Avenger release ( shortly after 0.9 lol ).. I guess they can still surprise me for the next steps ( begining of multicrew still in 2014 ? ). But 5 week later, what I said about 0.9 sadly proving a patern we will see again and again, seems to hold true for 1.0 and ships release.

Jinroh

Do any of you have movement issues since the game updated with the new hangars?

When I move around in the hangar there's constant stuttering. For example let's say I turn my head left, and then start moving forward. The camera will quickly make a left->right movement and then come back to its original position as I start moving.

There's this constant lateral camera stuttering as soon as I move my head or start moving in one direction.

Is it a known bug?

epmode

Do any of you have movement issues since the game updated with the new hangars?

When I move around in the hangar there's constant stuttering. For example let's say I turn my head left, and then start moving forward. The camera will quickly make a left->right movement and then come back to its original position as I start moving.

There's this constant lateral camera stuttering as soon as I move my head or start moving in one direction.

Is it a known bug?

I've had that in first person mode for months and months. I figure it has to do with the half-assed way they attach the camera to your model or whatever.

phoenixyz

The whole movement-on-foot-part is really placeholder. I guess we have to wait for the integration of the FPS module before that improves (which makes sense).

I decided to pick up the Freelancer package on a whim. I'm really looking forward to BETA.

I think the thing I'm most anxious about (In the final stages), is system performance. Definitely a game for future PC's.

Eh just tried the Hornet with mouse + gimballed turret. Holy shit this thing is broken, on top of that the ship flies itself. Not much of a sim if it operates like Freelancer.

Eh just tried the Hornet with mouse + gimballed turret. Holy shit this thing is broken, on top of that the ship flies itself. Not much of a sim if it operates like Freelancer.

I backed the game because I wanted a freelancer-esque point-and-click shooting simulator. Their physics model add much more than that though.
Gimballed weapons is the only way I can play with the manner that their flight computer operates in. The Hornet was nerfed a bit with the changed COMSTAB settings (doesn't turn as fast as it did before). I turn COMSTAB off and I have a lot of fun flying around like a greased hippo.

demolitio

I'm the only one in my clan using a cheap ship...Should be fun. One of them just bought a Reclaimer (I think, it was the $350 one) so I guess I can be a crew member on that one in the future as well to mix it up a bit. I swear SC has a good system going getting them to buy the latest and greatest each and every time while refusing to get rid of a few of them. My underdog ship will find a way until I can get a nicer ship ingame the hard way.

I feel like this game should be used in marketing and econ classes. :p

Also, does anyone have a good voice attack profile to use? I seem to have lost one of mine and was just curious if any better ones have come out in the past 6 months.

demolitio

Nice. Looks great! I was pretty shocked at how good this looked at such an early stage.

And to think, the FPS module is also getting revealed in about 2 weeks! I'm really excited to see the feel they're going for with FPS combat.

That's what I'm anticipating the most at this point. It's what will silence a lot of doubters when it comes to the game's premise. If it looks good, it will show people they can deliver on all fronts and not just the ship combat.

Whitelines

Neo Member
Damn, Gladius looks amazing then! Gotta get me one.

Edit:

Eagle-eyed backers have noticed a shot of the Gladius in the Hangar during our presentation on Friday. That shot is actually part of a short video put together by Foundry 42 to keep the rest of the team updated on the status of their ships, which include the Avenger, Gladius, Gladiator and Retaliator.
Although it says this on the letter from the chairman, so we should be able to see the avenger on that video.

Denton

Man, I just watched Meet Tony Zurovec video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dL3nrrj2ZA

And my loathing for Microsoft increased even further. Such an awesome guy, they were building this revolutionary game at Digital Anvil called Loose Cannon that was like much better GTA 3, only for MS to cancel it because they were switching to Xbox and it wouldn't "fit". And of course then when GTA 3 came out and was a smash hit, MS guy was like "yeah that was a mistake", well no shit. God damn xbox.
I love how uncompromising Tony is too. Crusader WILL be SVGA even when no other game has been, and it WILL NOT be butchered for consoles just because suits want it.

Damn, Gladius looks amazing then! Gotta get me one.

Edit:
Eagle-eyed backers have noticed a shot of the Gladius in the Hangar during our presentation on Friday. That shot is actually part of a short video put together by Foundry 42 to keep the rest of the team updated on the status of their ships, which include the Avenger, Gladius, Gladiator and Retaliator.
Although it says this on the letter from the chairman, so we should be able to see the avenger on that video.
The video contains footage of the Gladius and the Retaliator, but Foundry 42 are also responsible for implementing the Avenger and the Gladiator. It isn't surprising the former two are given priority since I'd presume the Gladius is a good fit for Arena Commander as a rival to the Hornet, and the Retaliator is intended to be the next ship to get a commercial (as per the 48 million stretch goal).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
After watching a few videos, my Space-Sim itch is acting up. I want in. One thing I'm curious about though; losing your ship when you don't have insurance means you've lost it permanently. How would you go about the game without a ship?

Whitelines

Neo Member
After watching a few videos, my Space-Sim itch is acting up. I want in. One thing I'm curious about though; losing your ship when you don't have insurance means you've lost it permanently. How would you go about the game without a ship?

Crew in a bigger ship until you get some cash i guess.

Effect

The LN has more firepower.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs

The Aurora is the very basic starter ship so don't expect wonders. The Mustang (more agile and generally combat orientated) is also a starter ship and Aurora owners will get the option to swap their ship for the Mustang without additional costs when the Mustang is hangar ready.

You can also try out all ships (Aurora, 300i, 350r, Hornet and M50) that are in Arena Commander this week.

First time I've heard that you'll be able to switch out the Aurora for something else for free. When did that happen? The recent event?

Irobot82

First time I've heard that you'll be able to switch out the Aurora for something else for free. When did that happen? The recent event?

Pretty much ever since the Mustang was announced. It's a "starter" ship. So you'll get to choose between the starter ships. If the third starter ship vote would have won I would bet we could have switched between any of the three.

I'll also note, the Mustang has a gimbeled weapon but no missiles. The Aurora has missiles but no gimbles.

I believe there will always be a Mustang/Aurora available since hey are the starters.

I backed the game because I wanted a freelancer-esque point-and-click shooting simulator. Their physics model add much more than that though.
Gimballed weapons is the only way I can play with the manner that their flight computer operates in. The Hornet was nerfed a bit with the changed COMSTAB settings (doesn't turn as fast as it did before). I turn COMSTAB off and I have a lot of fun flying around like a greased hippo.

Which was not what was promised off the kickstarter. This is after all supposed to be "the best damn space sim ever. Roberts specifically said this would control "nothing like Freelancer...more like Wing Commander." Mouse control is broken in general though in the game. For some reason it has a giant deadzone which makes flying feel like pulling teeth and aiming fix weapons near impossible. The only loop hole from their terrible mouse control is gimballed weapons + COMSTAB off (Hornet, M50) so the AI flies the ship and the user just points and clicks.

The proposed changes I read don't inspire confidence either. Instead of removing the deadzone for mouse and making it a virtual joystick (like Diaspora, ED) they are going to limit the movement linearity when you close in on a target, which opens a new can of worms. That and they will add some sort of auto-aim to gimballed guns for sticks. We'll see though once the next patch drops.

Keasar

As I understand it from some statements earlier, you can loan ships for jobs you make, take jobs aboard multi crew ships, do FPS missions and so forth.

Edit: If someone pulls up in a white 890 promising candy and rewards if you become their "deck hand", back away and find an adult quickly.

I hope you can turn tricks planet side for insurance money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom