• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

taken from reddit
http://i.imgur.com/KwQehsM.jpg

valid knock against CIG is that pretty much the industry in general?

I remember this was the bearded guy who always looked pissed during his interviews who walked off wingmans hangar

I'm blanking out here. Who's the bearded guy that always looked pissed? I don't seem to recall anyone matching that description from WH.

So it seems that Chris Olivia, who has been chief visual officer since January 2013, is no longer with the company: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/vi...arId:1413134209290,tas:chris olivia,idx:1-2-2

Martin Galloway, the audio director, isn't at CIG anymore, either: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/martin-galway/1/69b/727

And there are rumblings that Eric "Wingman" Peterson as well as several other Austin devs have been let go: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.c...ayoffsfirings-at-the-Austin-studio-today.html

I'm legit shook by all this.

Well, it sucks, but this shit happens all the time in game development. Regarding Chris Olivia, it could very well be related to the ship's pipeline being moved from Austin to LA. Martin Galloway leaving is more surprising to me, since he and CR go way back, but again - it happens. And to be perfectly honest, with Alex Mayberry and Tony Zurovec taking up important roles in the company, I kinda expected a bit of a shake-up.

David Hobbins went to Disney to work on ageing the Millenium Falcon, apparently, and it looks like Jason Spangler is also no longer at CIG.

SRTtoZ

Finally jumped into this for the first time in months and its progressing nicely. I am still a Freelancer package holder from long ago but I'm waiting for when they release the Constellation upgrade (from freelancer) for the Freighter version of the Consellation. I think they said once its in Arena commander they will allow the upgrades. I wish I could fast forward 2 years without aging....I want to play the full game already, I have EVE online to keep my occupied but I want to be inside a spaceship!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm blanking out here. Who's the bearded guy that always looked pissed? I don't seem to recall anyone matching that description from WH.

I think that's a reference to Elijah McNeal, the concept artist who was fired eight months ago and is bitching about CIG now on his Facebook page.

Well, it sucks, but this shit happens all the time in game development. Regarding Chris Olivia, it could very well be related to the ship's pipeline being moved from Austin to LA. Martin Galloway leaving is more surprising to me, since he and CR go way back, but again - it happens. And to be perfectly honest, with Alex Mayberry and Tony Zurovec taking up important roles in the company, I kinda expected a bit of a shake-up.

David Hobbins went to Disney to work on ageing the Millenium Falcon, apparently, and it looks like Jason Spangler is also no longer at CIG.

Geez, Hobbins and Spangler are gone, too? I guess I can't blame Hobbins — that's a sweet gig to work on the Falcon. But I wonder who's taken Spangler's job now. I wish they'd introduce some of the replacements to these well-known guys on Around the Verse or a studio report.

wingman is very much alive and truckin at CIG
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/189154

surprised about the others though since I remember their sound director being there since the beginning

Well that's good to see. But he posted it five days ago! He might be gone by now

Finally jumped into this for the first time in months and its progressing nicely. I am still a Freelancer package holder from long ago but I'm waiting for when they release the Constellation upgrade (from freelancer) for the Freighter version of the Consellation. I think they said once its in Arena commander they will allow the upgrades. I wish I could fast forward 2 years without aging....I want to play the full game already, I have EVE online to keep my occupied but I want to be inside a spaceship!

Yeah, I played yesterday for the first time in at least a couple months. I wanted to try out the m50 and 350r before they went away. Damn those things are fast. Kept blacking out and redding out from just moving around, even though COMSTAB and G-SAFE were on. The ships' speed made it easier to get right up on a Scythe's tail and blast away at it, though, especially in the m50. No missiles on either ship made Vanduul Swarm quite the grind, but it feels awesome to land a shot that turns a Scythe into a satisfying blue burst of energy.

Racing was fun. Pretty cool to just fly around the city and check it out, too. I liked flying up to where all the sky traffic was passing by. I'll have to see what racing is like in a non-racing ship next. And it looks like there are two harder courses to choose?...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Around the Verse today said there will be a Reddit AMA tomorrow with Illfonic so people can ask them what their name is questions about the FPS module.

Apparently, they'll be playing the "redacted" game until their official reveal at PAX Australia next Saturday. (Sucks that the livestream for that will be 5 a.m. EDT.)

Zabojnik

Can you get ticketed for flying around wasted from all those cocktails?

You can even get thrown into jail. And believe me, you don't want to end up in an interracial jail on Charon III. The Xi'An prisoners can be very ... caring.

Looking forward to the big ship pipeline post tomorrow.

-Deimos

You can even get thrown into jail. And believe me, you don't want to end up in an interracial jail on Charon III. The Xi'An prisoners can be very ... caring.

Looking forward to the big ship pipeline post tomorrow.

Just keep shooting Morty! You have no idea what prison is like here!

Zabojnik

Just keep shooting Morty! You have no idea what prison is like here!

XS5LKh.jpg

Does anyone know what the next concept ship to go on sale and when it is? Or is that something you just have to constantly pay attention to the site to catch?

I ahve the same one. Pick the x52 profile under customize constrols joystick.

Works pretty fraking well. What ship do you have? I recommend using the double trigger for a different fire group.

Stick is more fun than mouse and the game is stillin dev and balance. Mouse is only "objectively better" because it is OP. Not because it actually is more fun to use.

DrBo42

I ahve the same one. Pick the x52 profile under customize constrols joystick.

Works pretty fraking well. What ship do you have? I recommend using the double trigger for a different fire group.

Stick is more fun than mouse and the game is stillin dev and balance. Mouse is only "objectively better" because it is OP. Not because it actually is more fun to use.

Currently just a 300i I purchased a long time ago. Eventually I want to get one of the Constellations I think the name is? I think the Aquila version was shown as part of the multi-crew and ground landing. Really love the look of that ship, more into exploring.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This may sound really stupid, but recently they added the 325A to fly around in... ummm... I don't know how to select it?

Did you buy a 325a? If not, you can't fly it. If you did, go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/pledges and look under your hangar for the Configuration button. Click that button. Scroll down a bit and drag your 325a from the left pane to a hangar bay in the right pane. Click the Save button at the bottom.

Now you can boot up the game and hop in your 325a.

Alternatively, while in the game, hit the Esc key, click Arena Commander and select your 325a from there.

Did you buy a 325a? If not, you can't fly it. If you did, go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/pledges and look under your hangar for the Configuration button. Click that button. Scroll down a bit and drag your 325a from the left pane to a hangar bay in the right pane. Click the Save button at the bottom.

Now you can boot up the game and hop in your 325a.

Alternatively, while in the game, hit the Esc key, click Arena Commander and select your 325a from there.

I did the upgrade from the 300 to the 325 when it was still around so I could also still have the LTI on it. Hell, I did that pledge over a year ago. So why do I not have the ship in the hanger configuration (I have a 300 in there, but not my 325a)?

EDIT: Nevermind, I had to apply the upgrade of the 325a...

DrBo42

Finally got around to attempting to play it, probably should have read the minimum requirements. Even at 16x9 on Low my GT 650M is getting slaughtered.

Had a pretty amazing moment of zen going out on a spacewalk just now. I went in my 300i trainer to practice some maneuvering around asteroids but decided to try to land as smoothly as possible on the landing pad. A few passes to get it right (decouple and maneuvering thrusters working best) and I decide to eject to end the session. Once I punched out I was floating and found my controls still worked and lo I was moving around with WASD and could still control orientation with my stick. I maneuver back down to the platform and just pressed random buttons until I found that B activates your mag-boot and you could stand and walk normally like how you would expect mag boots to work. I stayed there for a bit and decided I wanted to see if I could make it to the extractor and go for a walk on the solar panel. Pressed B and I floated to platform and activated the boots and went for a walk on the solar panel completely vertical. Really felt amazing just to actually have a space walk in a game like this with no real purpose other than to float around walk.

Satisfied I wanted to see if I enter the light of the extractor to be vaporized in 1st person. I floated down to the beam and while it shook violently there was no luck in meeting my my doom. The difference was I had lost the thrusters on the suit and was just floating unable to control my direction like in Gravity. My hand was visible just half outstretched and it was completely silent as the sound of the beam blended away. Besides the faint ambient music it was really zen to just float along in space without and control of my movement. I love when games can make moments like this, just random, non scripted events that can connect with the player.

Some shots too:

Daedardus

The calm before the
bullet
storm, innit.

Don't you mean the shit storm?

But yeah, life's too quiet around here. They need to sell more new ships and more pay2win stuff and announce more delays and announce a console version so that we have at least something to discuss about.

Or a new update, that's fine too :).

Zabojnik

Speaking of shit storms, are we going to have a separate thread for the FPS demo? It's definitely news worthy stuff, but I'd rather not have to discuss it with SC ignorants, which is usually 95% of the preople who post in those threads. I guess I could continue to ignore 'em.

I don't have high hopes for this FPS demo. That's mostly from how godawful the feel of the movement and camera is in the hangar currently though. And I realize that's just something that hasn't even been touched cause it'll probably (hopefully) be revamped with the FPS side of things getting merged into the game, but it still leaves a bad taste.

Ideally the demo will be as wow-worthy as the multi-crew and PU stuff =D

Honey Bunny

Had a pretty amazing moment of zen going out on a spacewalk just now. I went in my 300i trainer to practice some maneuvering around asteroids but decided to try to land as smoothly as possible on the landing pad. A few passes to get it right (decouple and maneuvering thrusters working best) and I decide to eject to end the session. Once I punched out I was floating and found my controls still worked and lo I was moving around with WASD and could still control orientation with my stick. I maneuver back down to the platform and just pressed random buttons until I found that B activates your mag-boot and you could stand and walk normally like how you would expect mag boots to work. I stayed there for a bit and decided I wanted to see if I could make it to the extractor and go for a walk on the solar panel. Pressed B and I floated to platform and activated the boots and went for a walk on the solar panel completely vertical. Really felt amazing just to actually have a space walk in a game like this with no real purpose other than to float around walk.

Satisfied I wanted to see if I enter the light of the extractor to be vaporized in 1st person. I floated down to the beam and while it shook violently there was no luck in meeting my my doom. The difference was I had lost the thrusters on the suit and was just floating unable to control my direction like in Gravity. My hand was visible just half outstretched and it was completely silent as the sound of the beam blended away. Besides the faint ambient music it was really zen to just float along in space without and control of my movement. I love when games can make moments like this, just random, non scripted events that can connect with the player.

Some shots too:

The suit has thrusters? How?

And nice shots.

edit: In the time I took to alt tab out and ask this question, my Aurora has flipped upside down. Help.

iU53t9RFZPuXJ.jpg

double edit: cya buddy

inPCRrAltHG6C.jpg

Zabojnik

I don't have high hopes for this FPS demo. That's mostly from how godawful the feel of the movement and camera is in the hangar currently though. And I realize that's just something that hasn't even been touched cause it'll probably (hopefully) be revamped with the FPS side of things getting merged into the game, but it still leaves a bad taste.

Ideally the demo will be as wow-worthy as the multi-crew and PU stuff =D

The fact that I'll be able to exit my ship and walk outside and inside still blows my mind, so I'd be perfectly fine with even just that ... walking. Instead they're going all in on FPS as well. Should be good regardless, as far as I'm concerned.

It will be interesting to see how the whole animation driven thing is going to pan out.

The suit has thrusters? How?

And nice shots.

edit: In the time I took to alt tab out and ask this question, my Aurora has flipped upside down. Help.

iU53t9RFZPuXJ.jpg

double edit: cya buddy

inPCRrAltHG6C.jpg

That looks...unfortunate. lol

W,A,S,D while floating. I was playing with it last night and I could use the afterburner button on my throttle give a boost. It still is probably very buggy so it doesn't work all the time, or a cool down which I don't know.

I read somewhere in the FPS Reddit AMA that they have made leaps and bounds with the FPS camera but none of their work has been transferred over to the hanger camera yet. So fingers crossed...

yes I believe the arma like animation system is still a work in progress which is why we're still stuck with the shit in the pants animation we have today. I'm sure it'll get updated once the fps module is released next year

Honey Bunny

That looks...unfortunate. lol

W,A,S,D while floating. I was playing with it last night and I could use the afterburner button on my throttle give a boost. It still is probably very buggy so it doesn't work all the time, or a cool down which I don't know.

Not working for me :( Oh well. Not like there's anywhere in these maps to boost off to.

Jinkies

Oh shit, they know I'm still at large

And they may know you are, too
While the whole corrupt graphics thing has been done and done again, I'm impressed by how dedicated Roberts and CIG are to making the development of their game an entertainment medium of its own.

Their TV shows, official fiction, Q&As, and web software turn what would normally be another drawn out marketing campaign into something worthy of fandom.

MrBig

The projectile lag indicators are a great design change I feel. I haven't seen a video of it in action so I'm a bit confused on how it draws that info in 2d space for varying distances. Perhaps it locks to the relative plane of only a selected target?

Daedardus

The Gladius doesn't look to bad at all! Far better than its concept art. I hope that also becomes the case for the Herald, it's... well not what I would call amazing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just watched a video of someone looking at the Gladius in a hangar. It reminds me of a Hornet from Wing Commander 1. Both of those happen to be light fighters, too. I like it.

Honey Bunny

I'm thinking the new "Target Focus" is overpowered. It makes tracking and shooting at ships flying by you too easy, even with the shitty rate of fire on my Aurora's weapons. Without it enabled I'm getting a more gratifying time-to-kill. Can't imagine what it's like with a Hornet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom