• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgraded (?) I guess, my Aurora LN to an LX with 24 month insurance, and I got to keep my Alpher access. RSI support are very helpful, but a little slow, glad to finally get all that sorted out, it feels nice going from 3 months insurance to 24 months.

wsippel

Banned
Good evening! Just bought Elite, but now I'm thinking about buying Star Citizen as well. My space sim addiction started with Wing Commander after all. So, if I would want to join now, which package should I buy? Is the Aurora Anniversary Starter coming back, or should I just buy the Arena Commander Pack and be done with it? Am I missing anything noteworthy by buying one of those, given that there are packages costing thousands of Euros?

EDIT: I shouldn't be allowed to handle computers when I'm drunk. I think I just bought something. No idea what. I believe it was the Arena Commander pack. Hope it was worth it. :)

Good evening! Just bought Elite, but now I'm thinking about buying Star Citizen as well. My space sim addiction started with Wing Commander after all. So, if I would want to join now, which package should I buy? Is the Aurora Anniversary Starter coming back, or should I just buy the Arena Commander Pack and be done with it? Am I missing anything noteworthy by buying one of those, given that there are packages costing thousands of Euros?

EDIT: I shouldn't be allowed to handle computers when I'm drunk. I think I just bought something. No idea what. I believe it was the Arena Commander pack. Hope it was worth it. :)
It was, dont sweat it :D

Holy crap does the gladiator have a nice interior and awesome mount animation

Zabojnik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwoot3XuFKU

1396574756256.jpg

Daedardus

As if their recent sale wasn't enough, this week we'll get a livestream with new ship reveals, a commercial and (hopefully) a peak at V1.0. They clearly stopped caring about $100 million and will go straight for $200 million by the looks of it. You can quote me on this in 2017 ;).

F42 has some amazing talent after seeing the level of detail they put in this and the Gladius. Can't wait to see what they have done with the Retaliator and other cap ships. The problem is that there now seems to be a large gap in quality between the newer ships and original ones.

Check out this in depth video on the Gladius to see what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcSnU5oowgA

You just don't see those tiny details on the aurora's or 300 line and which is why I melted my constellation to a reclaimer.

KKRT00

As if their recent sale wasn't enough, this week we'll get a livestream with new ship reveals, a commercial and (hopefully) a peak at V1.0. They clearly stopped caring about $100 million and will go straight for $200 million by the looks of it. You can quote me on this in 2017 ;).

Please tell me its not friday!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
F42 has some amazing talent after seeing the level of detail they put in this and the Gladius. Can't wait to see what they have done with the Retaliator and other cap ships. The problem is that there now seems to be a large gap in quality between the newer ships and original ones.

Check out this in depth video on the Gladius to see what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcSnU5oowgA

You just don't see those tiny details on the aurora's or 300 line and which is why I melted my constellation to a reclaimer.

well let's have them scrap the hornet for the third time and rebuild it from scratch

oh wait, they seem to be doing that with all the old ships anyway with this "modular" business, sigh

I don't know why they plan out like 100 ships when they can't even settle on half a dozen.

KKRT00

In latest 10 to the chairman.
Chris said that he made a side-way trip to the Germany for a week and we will have exciting announcement sometime next year.

I bet he was at Crytek and got some kind of deal with them. Maybe he hired Crytek as a next studio? That would be bonkers.

Zabojnik

Chris said that he made a side-way trip to the Germany for a week and we will have exciting announcement sometime next year.

I bet he was at Crytek and got some kind of deal with them. Maybe he hired Crytek as a next studio? That would be bonkers.

Hired? Oh, my sweet summer child.

Bought.

*chrisrobertssmokingspaceweed.png*

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I bet he was at Crytek and got some kind of deal with them. Maybe he bought Crytek as a next studio? That would be bonkers.

Fixed

I know nothing; just speculating for maximum Shymalan twistiness

well let's have them scrap the hornet for the third time and rebuild it from scratch

oh wait, they seem to be doing that with all the old ships anyway with this "modular" business, sigh

I don't know why they plan out like 100 ships when they can't even settle on half a dozen.

Why on earth would the artists need to do that? I doubt they need to start from scratch on any of the existing ships.

KKRT00

Crytek is bigger than people give them credit for. You cant buy it with 60m$ or even 100m$ or probably 500m$ either.
And they still have profitable divisions, like CryEngine division is profitable, same goes for Cinema division or Realtime Immersive.
Having 800 developers is expensive and can give You big problems if You run out of big projects, but it doesnt mean that company is completely not profitable :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Why on earth would the artists need to do that? I doubt they need to start from scratch on any of the existing ships.

I would have asked the same thing about the Avenger and Cutlass, and yet from the weekly Around the Verse episodes I get the impression that they've gone back to the drawing board to some extent on both of those ships.

It wouldn't be the first time they've redone existing ships. Chris Roberts had CGBot build the Hornet, Scythe and Bengal carrier during 2012 for the proof-of-concept video in the Kickstarter. Then he scrapped all of that work in early 2013 and rebuilt the Hornet and Scythe "to make the detail level match the new ships" (the Aurora, 300i, Freelancer and Constellation).

They had to basically rebuild all of those ships again at the end of 2013 and the first half of 2014 to add damage states and switch to PBR. (Same for the hangars — totally redesigned and rebuilt in 2014 to add PBR and the "room system" they came up with.)

And you want them to go back to that same handful of ships again to add detail to them? I'd rather they not. They're good enough. They need to keep plodding along or else they'll never finish the dozens and dozens of ships planned for the game.

Even though it seems like they are going back to the same half-dozen damn ships to add "modularity" because nothing is good enough, I guess. It's frustrating to watch.

I would have asked the same thing about the Avenger and Cutlass, and yet from the weekly Around the Verse episodes I get the impression that they've gone back to the drawing board to some extent on both of those ships.

It wouldn't be the first time they've redone existing ships. Chris Roberts had CGBot build the Hornet, Scythe and Bengal carrier during 2012 for the proof-of-concept video in the Kickstarter. Then he scrapped all of that work in early 2013 and rebuilt the Hornet and Scythe "to make the detail level match the new ships" (the Aurora, 300i, Freelancer and Constellation).

They had to basically rebuild all of those ships again at the end of 2013 and the first half of 2014 to add damage states and switch to PBR. (Same for the hangars — totally redesigned and rebuilt in 2014 to add PBR and the "room system" they came up with.)

And you want them to go back to that same handful of ships again to add detail to them? I'd rather they not. They're good enough. They need to keep plodding along or else they'll never finish the dozens and dozens of ships planned for the game.

Even though it seems like they are going back to the same half-dozen damn ships to add "modularity" because nothing is good enough, I guess. It's frustrating to watch.

I am not an expert but I used to go to school for computer animation and it just seems as if, rebuilding it from scratch would be a waste if the model had the same topography. It would make more sense if they simply modified the existing models, which wouldn't have taken as much time.

Crytek is bigger than people give them credit for. You cant buy it with 60m$ or even 100m$ or probably 500m$ either.
And they still have profitable divisions, like CryEngine division is profitable, same goes for Cinema division or Realtime Immersive.
Having 800 developers is expensive and can give You big problems if You run out of big projects, but it doesnt mean that company is completely not profitable :)

Wasn't there some issues recently with them? Finished projects, profitability, or layoff issues? I need to go back to google for that one.

EDIT:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/08/crytek-boss-speaks-unpaid-wages-selling-homefront-downsizing

It follows widespread reports of unpaid wages, high-profile departures, and downsizing at Crytek studios in Austin and the UK, accusations of mismanagement, and the sale of Crytek UK and the Homefront IP to Deep Silver, through which Yerli and the rest of Crytek's upper management have faced accusations of mismanagement and arrogance.

It is always interesting to see the massive negativity towards star citizen in some places when there has been 0 evidence to the fact that the game is going to be anything other than a high quality product.

Also, have these people never played otehr CR games?

EDIT> That CIG teams up with imaginarium seems like new thread worthy kinda stuff. That has only happened before with Ryse.. so it is prety darn cool.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This part stood out to me:

So in other words, they've finally — finally! — run out of features to add to the game :lol
This is good. I'm not sure if $66 mil will even keep them afloat for very long, with the scale they're running at. Paying that many full-time employees for a few years can cost a ton of money as it is, if you're paying people nearly as much as they deserve.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This is good. I'm not sure if $66 mil will even keep them afloat for very long, with the scale they're running at. Paying that many full-time employees for a few years can cost a ton of money as it is, if you're paying people nearly as much as they deserve.

I get the impression that they're spending each month as much as they're raising each month on average. since Chris recently said that he sets the budget based on how much backers give them. Over the last seven months, they've raised an average of about $3.2 million per month. So they're probably assuming that they'll raise $3 million per month each month and they're spending about $3 million per month. If the rate of funding precipitously deteriorates, they'll probably reduce their workforce, make people do more with less and put off some features and ships until after launch.

Chris recently said that he put aside a chunk of money so that if funding stopped tomorrow, he'd be able to finish the game to a satisfactory degree. The size of that chunk is anyone's guess, but I suppose you could spitball about $18 million? That would be $1.5 million over 12 months — a year's worth of work at half the current per-month expenditure, which might do it.

Starviper

Which is why I love this project, it is either gonna be the most awesome game ever. Or when it crashes and burns, It. Will. Burn.

Gonna be spectacular either way, I won't be sorry for the 180 bucks I put on my Super Hornet. :p

I threw about a hundred towards getting a 350R package. Even if it does crash and burn, it's been a fun ride. I have high hopes so far, and they've been great with content updates and demos.

KKRT00

Wasn't there some issues recently with them? Finished projects, profitability, or layoff issues? I need to go back to google for that one.

EDIT:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/08/crytek-boss-speaks-unpaid-wages-selling-homefront-downsizing

Thats exactly what i wrote. They were too big and lost two big projects, but they have profitable divisions, so as company they arent going anywhere. They can get smaller, much, much smaller, but they wont disappear all of the sudden.

Thats exactly what i wrote. They were too big and lost two big projects, but they have profitable divisions, so as company they arent going anywhere. They can get smaller, much, much smaller, but they wont disappear all of the sudden.

Good. I kinda like crytek games. I hope SC turns out awesome thanks to the engine work as well.

Zabojnik

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/213720/ptu-coming-very-soon/p1

basically a test run of 1.0 for backers who requested it, thread is closed so they're no longer handing out keys but people are already playing 1.0.

WTFosaurus is streaming it though he isn't showing gameplay
http://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

I'll just leave this here...

Damn, 2018 just got a little closer.

Can't wait for the stream, hope it's a proper CIG-style one. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I backed this for the standard 30 dollars or whatever it was which give you the full game when it releases. I've literally just left it as I heard it's not even going to be out for another 2 years so Elite is what I'm playing atm. Is there any sort of access to arena commander now for the backers or do you have to pay to give it a go? All I've had is that bloody hangar since I backed it what two years ago?!

I don't mind but as I've not been following the game I was just wondering if any of you guys know if they have released anything more to play with apart from the hangar for my backing tier?

KKRT00

I backed this for the standard 15 dollars or whatever it was which give you the full game when it releases. I've literally just left it as I heard it's not even going to be out for another 2 years so Elite is what I'm playing atm. Is there any sort of access to arena commander now for the backers or do you have to pay to give it a go? All I've had is that bloody hangar since I backed it what two years ago?!

I don't mind but as I've not been following the game I was just wondering if any of you guys know if they have released anything more to play with apart from the hangar for my backing tier?
When did You pledged?
The cheapest pledge back then was 35$, which gave You everything.

When did You pledged?
The cheapest pledge back then was 35$, which gave You everything.

Sorry not 15 dollars I pledged the 30 dollars back in October 2013. I mixed my backing pledge with another project, my bad! Last time I checked ages ago was I had my ship and hangar to look about in. But wasn't allowed to try the upcoming arena commander. Just wondering if the arena commander is coming to my backing tier at any point? Or will I just be getting this hangar the entire time until it releases?

KKRT00

Sorry not 15 dollars I pledged the 30 dollars back in October 2013. I mixed my backing pledge with another project, my bad! Last time I checked ages ago was I had my ship and hangar to look about in. But wasn't allowed to try the upcoming arena commander. Just wondering if the arena commander is coming to my backing tier at any point? Or will I just be getting this hangar the entire time until it releases?

Oh, You have access to everything then. Everything they released [not ships of course] and everything they will release.
So yes, You can play Arena Commander with Your pledge. Same will go for Planetside module, FPS module, Multicrew ship combat and Persistent Universe alpha :)

Oh, You have access to everything then. Everything they released [not ships of course] and everything they will release.
So yes, You can play Arena Commander with Your pledge. Same will go for Planetside module, FPS module, Multicrew ship combat and Persistent Universe alpha :)

Ah ok awesome will have to fire up the launcher when I'm back home and see what it's all about. Is there a time limit for the arena commander or will it be available to play around with up until release?

KKRT00

Ah ok awesome will have to fire up the launcher when I'm back home and see what it's all about. Is there a time limit for the arena commander or will it be available to play around with up until release?

I dont think it will be ever turn off, it will be expanding and it will be later integrated to Persistent Universe as training and esport pvp mechanic.

Zabojnik

Sweet thanks for the info KKRT00 :)

Since you've waited this long and have your hands full with Elite at the moment, you might consider waiting a bit more. Arena Commander 1.0 will be released very soon, bringing lots of improvments to various ship systems, including missile types and management, radar signatures, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom