• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think CR is in the UK right now getting ready for the big mocap shoot next week so it might already be the end of the day for them over there, I'm not expecting the letter until Monday but hope I'm wrong

Y'know, speaking of which, what was the point of buying a big mocap setup in Austin if they're mocapping in England?

When should we expect the news about 1.0 ( and my Avenger ) not making it before the end of the year ?

Probably during the livestream on Dec. 19. "Sorry, guys, it looks like we won't get out 1.0 quite when we wanted to. It should only take another month or two [snicker]. But here's footage of us having a ton of fun flying our Avengers and Cutlasses against each other!"

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That's a good question. Is it the same equipment at least?

Probably not. I can't see them flying all that equipment overseas.

They're probably doing the SQ42 mocap as well.

Why can't they use the stuff they dropped $1 million on to do that, though?

Kinda makes me wonder if that money was wasted on tech that isn't good enough now, so they still have to pay top dollar to rent a mocap facility while the equipment they own collects dust in a warehouse somewhere in Austin.

MrBig

Probably not. I can't see them flying all that equipment overseas.

Why can't they use the stuff they dropped $1 million on to do that, though?

Kinda makes me wonder if that money was wasted on tech that isn't good enough now, so they still have to pay top dollar to rent a mocap facility while the equipment they own collects dust in a warehouse somewhere in Austin.

Having an in-house mocap studio to do the innumerable amount of small or one-off animations for the PU at any time they need them would be a pretty useful tool in addition to a more robust system for SQ42 cinematics, located right next to the guys making SQ42.

Daedardus

If they really don't need that equipment anymore, they would probably have sold it off already, they have enough contacts in the industry. I doubt that they don't use it though.

If they really don't need that equipment anymore, they would probably have sold it off already, they have enough contacts in the industry. I doubt that they don't use it though.

They definitely use it, not sure for how and what though. For example, all that stuff where sandy walked around in mocap stuff was in Austin.

Having an in-house mocap studio to do the innumerable amount of small or one-off animations for the PU at any time they need them would be a pretty useful tool in addition to a more robust system for SQ42 cinematics, located right next to the guys making SQ42.

This. When it comes to mocap it is about scale and usage.

Murtrod

I can't download the game without my internet connection cutting out after a slow crawl to completion. But for some reason, it's linked to the launcher, and only cuts out when I am using the launcher to download the game. And when I'm downloading, I am moving at painfully slow speeds. Anyone know why the game launcher does this? (If more clarification is needed, just ask)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I can't download the game without my internet connection cutting out after a slow crawl to completion. But for some reason, it's linked to the launcher, and only cuts out when I am using the launcher to download the game. And when I'm downloading, I am moving at painfully slow speeds. Anyone know why the game launcher does this? (If more clarification is needed, just ask)

It uses bittorrent which can wreck slower connections.

Murtrod

It uses bittorrent which can wreck slower connections.

That's the thing. My internet connection is running fine @50 Mbps, but Star Citizen is the only game (launcher, I guess) that runs poorly. Plus, it somehow tampers with my wifi access in the process.

Are there official torrent links for the game files?

That's the thing. My internet connection is running fine @50 Mbps, but Star Citizen is the only game (launcher, I guess) that runs poorly. Plus, it somehow tampers with my wifi access in the process.

Are there official torrent links for the game files?

Try disabling P2P connections in the launcher settings and only allow HTTP.

Zabojnik

Maybe one goal one month would be to speed up production of game by either hiring more people or contracting specific elements.

Have you? In 2 years we've gotten 4 flyable ships in a barebones arena mode and a terrible racing mini-game.

I've long suspected people have no fucking idea how game development works and how long it takes to get things going. Since I started following Star Citizen's development, I know.

Daedardus

I've long suspected people have no fucking idea how game development works and how long it takes to get things going. Since I started following Star Citizen's development, I know.

Why can't you accept the fact that CIG have no clue as to what they are doing and that all other studios know their shit?

Why can't you accept the fact that CIG have no clue as to what they are doing and that all other studios know their shit?

This has to be trolling, otherwise it's just pure stupidity.

Absolutely, I love that people have gotten so used to franchise games and their two year release cycle that they think that's the norm and worse sustainable. We're already seeing the results of that with all the incomplete games being released by AAA companies, and that's even with the massive amount of reusable assets they have. Two years is nothing.

I have a UEE Avatar and am the #2 poster in this thread. Decide for yourself. ;)

Ok then I have to ask you, have you bothered to watch any of the Dev update videos? How much do you know about game development? I feel like you are comparing AAA studios developing games that have a relatively small scope to a game with many facets.

Ok then I have to ask you, have you bothered to watch any of the Dev update videos? How much do you know about game development? I feel like you are comparing AAA studios developing games that have a relatively small scope to a game with many facets.

uhhhhhhh

he was kidding man

No, I know. I am not saying the same thing as Sinatar. I understand where they are at and why. I am just mouthing off like an impatient child. I do know a few people in the industry and understand how things work, but to be perfectly honest I have not followed every aspect of SC and that is because they have done an amazing job of informing people and there is far to much information for me to go through.

Honestly though, have you seen me say anything negative about this title in this or any other thread?

Daedardus

Damn, I thought I made clear that I was being sarcastic, you just concluded the complete opposite, lol. :p

Unless this is sarcasm, too.

Damn, I thought I made clear that I was being sarcastic, you just concluded the complete opposite, lol. :p

Unless this is sarcasm, too.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

This part stood out to me:

Chris Roberts said:
Starting with $66 million, I want to start focusing everyone on the level of detail and immersion that everyone’s support is enabling. So instead of always having a feature or a reward I want to share a deeper view into an element of the design that has been enabled by your continuing support.

This doesn’t mean we won’t still occasionally reward backers with in-game content (flair, UEC, ship upgrades and more types to come!) or propose new ship types to celebrate major milestones but I would like the focus to be more about the amazing game that you are all enabling rather than the amounts we have raised. The real story is that with a community and the team sharing such a passion for making something special, with all of your continued support we have an opportunity to make history.

So in other words, they've finally — finally! — run out of features to add to the game :lol

Zabojnik

We all have our limits. <3

No, I know. I am not saying the same thing as Sinatar. I understand where they are at and why. I am just mouthing off like an impatient child. I do know a few people in the industry and understand how things work, but to be perfectly honest I have not followed every aspect of SC and that is because they have done an amazing job of informing people and there is far to much information for me to go through.

Honestly though, have you seen me say anything negative about this title in this or any other thread?

It's all good, staticneuron. We're all impatient. :)

KKRT00

Showed a friend Constellation commercial and asked him what he thought about graphics.
He said, he saw better and showed me Elder Scrolls Online CGI trailer, then i said commercial was real-time, his reaction was priceless :)

phoenixyz

Showed a friend Constellation commercial and asked him what he thought about graphics.
He said, he saw better and showed me Elder Scrolls Online CGI trailer, then i said commercial was real-time, his reaction was priceless :)
Is this an entry in Rorschach's journal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom