• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually don't want them to make a HOTAS which would likely just be a special branded X55. I would love them to go all in and make an official dual joystick for SC.

KKRT00

when is it now, May 2015? It was going to be the beginning of the year. It probably won't be until June, which means the last chapter will optimistically be released June 2016.

I would not expect Squadron 42 Ep 1 earlier than September/October, but i would more guess December.
I would love to see a trailer around May though.

Zabojnik

Squadron 42 won't be released all at once, though, unless you mean that they'll release the HOTAS once S42 is a finished product. If that's the case, though, I'm not sure it'll be finished by December 2015 ... they plan on releasing five 10-episode chapters every three months starting in ... when is it now, May 2015? It was going to be the beginning of the year. It probably won't be until June, which means the last chapter will optimistically be released June 2016.

Yeah, I meant when the first part of S42 comes out. There's NO WAY we're getting it before December 2015. Personally, I'll be surprised if it's out before summer 2016. Mission design seems to be going according to keikaku at Foundry 42 though, so who knows.

Actually don't want them to make a HOTAS which would likely just be a special branded X55. I would love them to go all in and make an official dual joystick for SC.

That's probably what Roberts had/has in mind, but I'm having a hard time imagining Saitek being very accommodating.

I would not expect Squadron 42 Ep 1 earlier than September/October, but i would more guess December.
I would love to see a trailer around May though.

I would imagine the vertical slice they deved for it will be used for events like E3, etc.

With a trailer of course :p

KKRT00

Hope we get to see some of the early mocap stuff way before that.

We will get early mocap stuff this month in a new commercial:

John and Chris are no slouches and immediately after finishing the Cutlass commercial this month they jumped right onto the next one which you’ll be seeing before the end of this year. This commercial will be much more character driven and allow us to test out some of our new facial animation and character model/animation pipelines that are being driven out of the Foundry 42 offices.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14278-Monthly-Report-October-2014

Daedardus

Should be a poll about the new hotas this week. Think I'm going to wait for that. The X52 and X55 button layouts are neither to my tastes. They feel odd for a space sim.

Will save the money and get a new mouse instead. Thinking about a G502, should be good enough.

And I hope they can finally pull of some decent mocap. I'm tired of everyone walking with a clothes hanger glued to their shoulders and having crapped their pants.

Should be a poll about the new hotas this week. Think I'm going to wait for that. The X52 and X55 button layouts are neither to my tastes. They feel odd for a space sim.

Will save the money and get a new mouse instead. Thinking about a G502, should be good enough.

And I hope they can finally pull of some decent mocap. I'm tired of everyone walking with a clothes hanger glued to their shoulders and having crapped their pants.

I was really contemplating on going for the hotas or the X52 pro. I hear alot of complaints about the hotas (x55 and warthog) now I am just unsure if I should even bother. It does feel like the game would benefit greatly from using a flight stick of some kind.

Pachimari

Guys you have to help me. I'll try join the Star Citizen but I need suggestions to a good or preferred flight stick I can use for the game?

"Guys you have to help me. I'll try join the Star Citizen but I need suggestions to a good or preferred flight stick I can use for the game?"

Depends on your budget.

Joystick only:

CH Products Fighter Stick - 100-110$ USD
CH Products Combat Stick - 90$
Thrustmaster T.16000m - 50$
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - 30$

Joystick + Throttle (Also known as HOTAS, Hands on Throttle and Stick):

Thrustmaster Warthog - 415-ish$
CH Products Fighter Stick + CH Products Pro Throttle - 220$
Saitek X55 - 200$
Saitek X52 Pro - 140$
Saitek X52 - 110$
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X - 50$

There are more than that, but those are from the "big" consumer flight stick manufacturers.

Arcoril

As an old school flight/space sim fan who's been playing for 20+ years, I've never gone wrong with CH sticks. They've been around for ages and their products are built like tanks. They also make spare parts readily available so that you'll be able to replace things if they wear out. I don't think you could go wrong with the flightstick, combatstick, or fighterstick. I personally use a fighterstick and I love it.

Just note that CH sticks don't have a z-axis twist unlike most other sticks. I consider this a good thing; most twist sticks lead to a lot of unintended movement when you're swinging the stick around. If you find yourself really falling in love with the genre I'd highly recommend getting a set of rudder pedals.

Daedardus

They still use iPhone 5C 900 years from now?

5ChKXfR.jpg

Zeknurn

"Guys you have to help me. I'll try join the Star Citizen but I need suggestions to a good or preferred flight stick I can use for the game?"

Depends on your budget.

Joystick only:

CH Products Fighter Stick - 100-110$ USD
CH Products Combat Stick - 90$
Thrustmaster T.16000m - 50$
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - 30$

Joystick + Throttle (Also known as HOTAS, Hands on Throttle and Stick):

Thrustmaster Warthog - 415-ish$
CH Products Fighter Stick + CH Products Pro Throttle - 220$
Saitek X55 - 200$
Saitek X52 Pro - 140$
Saitek X52 - 110$
Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X - 50$

There are more than that, but those are from the "big" consumer flight stick manufacturers.

I'll add the VKB Cobra m5 to that list. I got one instead of the much overpriced CH products joysticks and I'm very happy with it. It has twist which is a bonus for me.

"I'll add the VKB Cobra m5 to that list. I got one instead of the much overpriced CH products joysticks and I'm very happy with it. It has twist which is a bonus for me."

I don't think you'll find too many people (that have actually used CH Products) agree that CH is overpriced.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
CH stuff is expensive, but will last you forever. If you're in it for the long haul then they are absolutely worth it.

I've got a friend who's been using the same CH HOTAS set up for literally 15 years. He had to get a serial to USB converter for it, but it's still working as well as it did the day he bought it.

Zeknurn

"I'll add the VKB Cobra m5 to that list. I got one instead of the much overpriced CH products joysticks and I'm very happy with it. It has twist which is a bonus for me."

I don't think you'll find too many people (that have actually used CH Products) agree that CH is overpriced.

When their sticks are more than twice the price here compared to in the US. Yeah I'd call them overpriced.

Daedardus

I'm not sure if I want pedals though. Especially not since my comfy sitting position is not with two straight legs and I'm not always wearing ideal shoewear. I somehow find the idea of having to use pedals gives me less control over my ship. Pedals may be great in a military fighter jet, but in a space exploration vessel they seem redundant.

I'm not sure if I want pedals though. Especially not since my comfy sitting position is not with two straight legs and I'm not always wearing ideal shoewear. I somehow find the idea of having to use pedals gives me less control over my ship. Pedals may be great in a military fighter jet, but in a space exploration vessel they seem redundant.

What are pedals normally used for?

epmode

Pedals aren't so useful for yaw in some space sims, though, what with yaw being a billion times more effective than in an aircraft. See the X-Wing and Wing Commander games for examples. I usually put the pedals to roll in something like that.

Yaw on pedals is better for something like Elite: Dangerous where rolling and pitching is more effective for quick turns.

There are people proposing some more interesting ideas for using pedals in Star Citizen, though, specifically with dual joystick setups. Having one stick for rotation, and the other for translation with the pedals controlling thrust.

MrBig

There are people proposing some more interesting ideas for using pedals in Star Citizen, though, specifically with dual joystick setups. Having one stick for rotation, and the other for translation with the pedals controlling thrust.

Yeah, I don't think a HOTAS would be ideal for SC - dedicating a hand to a throttle in this context is unnecessary. A thumb throttle of some sort would probably be more appropriate.

"Yeah, I don't think a HOTAS would be ideal for SC - dedicating a hand to a throttle in this context is unnecessary. A thumb throttle of some sort would probably be more appropriate."

if there were ambidextrous sticks with a sufficient amount of buttons I'd be more inclined to try a dual joystick setup. It also depends on where they go with 6DOF. Currently (or rather, last I played), you can't strafe while maintaining forward thrust which seems a little silly and makes a dual joystick setup less interesting.

"Yeah, I don't think a HOTAS would be ideal for SC - dedicating a hand to a throttle in this context is unnecessary. A thumb throttle of some sort would probably be more appropriate."

if there were ambidextrous sticks with a sufficient amount of buttons I'd be more inclined to try a dual joystick setup. It also depends on where they go with 6DOF. Currently (or rather, last I played), you can't strafe while maintaining forward thrust which seems a little silly and makes a dual joystick setup less interesting.

Most setups with Throttles also have tons of hats for X and Z axis movements etc.

I think CR is in the UK right now getting ready for the big mocap shoot next week so it might already be the end of the day for them over there, I'm not expecting the letter until Monday but hope I'm wrong

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Instead of adding more stretch goals, how about they lock the design down and actually get something done.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Instead of adding more stretch goals, how about they lock the design down and actually get something done.

Oooohhh boy, thats not a popular opinion in SC threads/forums ;)

Personally, i think the funding / goals should have stopped a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom