• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGHA

I can't even get to the hanger. Just get connection error as soon as it launches. I've tried dozens of times.

I was having problems with that last night but someone said disabling P2P in the launcher (setting it to use HTTP only) worked to get them in and it did for me too, so maybe try that.

It just boots into a black screen for me after launching. Either it didn't patch right (did the whole re-download) or the patch broke something.

Just FYI, this flow seems to work pretty well to get into the game.

If you see Login Failed, you need to restart the launcher and try to launch the game.

If you see Connection Failed, you only need to re-launch the game but shouldn't need to re-launch the launcher.

If you get to Connection Failed, that means it accepted your login token, which is regenerated every time you open the launcher. If you get the Login Failed, that means you got a bad login token and need to restart the launcher.

I was able to play with both the Avenger and Cutlass. The Cutlass for starters has a pretty fantastic bitchin' betty voice. May be my favorite thus far. The Cutlass has some serious mass to drag with it, so you really need to be careful trying to do tight turns with it around asteroids because you will drift pretty far when turning since it has a lot of mass to move.

Cutlass also has basically insta-kill missles on it. It only comes with 4 each time, but if you use either 3 or 4 depending on the strength of the target, you're guaranteed a kill.

The Avenger is rad and really maneuverable. Very pretty ship!

I really need to take the time to go through and figure out a good control scheme for the X55. I still don't feel like I can aim very well. :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Same here.

Already had to redownload everything once to even be able to patch the game, guess that wasn't enough.

Alright well I tried deleting the ship .pak files that were giving me trouble and I managed to get into the hangar but....there weren't any ships to fly :(.

Progress???

I also got kicked out 30 seconds later woo.

JdVvr58.jpg

Edit: Oh, you need to add ships via the RSI website to your actual hangar. Though now I can't hop in them.

I hope they integrate the SMAA from the main branch soon. Game needs some serious jaggy clean up!
Getting really bad SLI scaling with the 1.0 update, which drastically affects my fps. Breathtaking visually atleast:
16058272481_e32a18f8c3_o.png

16058267341_6bc903e94f_o_d.png

Use the Ryse profile. The default one form Nvidia is horrible.

Daedalux

Neo Member
Is the game worth buying at the moment?

Was thinking about Elite, but it seems more tedious even being a full game.

How are the controls? just bought a Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick I would like to use on this.

Faith

Well, I gave it a try again after playing 30-40 hours of Elite Dangerous and I'm still not really liking it. Ship interface isn't really useful and you can turn your ship way too fast for a space sim.

epmode

But, is it playable already?

Aside from the server issues from the most recent patch, yes, it's playable.

Here's a clip from the latest patch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUxa9PA3JIg

and you can turn your ship way too fast for a space sim.

I think you need to take another look. You can turn your ship quickly, yes, but it takes quite a while for your thrusters to adjust your momentum to match where you're pointing your nose. There are actually several different maneuvering modes to help you deal with this.

Also, practically all of my favorite space sims allow for fast maneuvering. X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, Freespace

Daedalux

Neo Member
The thing is I'm not really into Space Sims, the last game of the genre I played was Freelancer for like 1000 hours, and this game seems to be pretty close to the enjoyment I got from Freelancer.

The other thing I like on SC more than on ED are the ship designs... So cool..

RaptorGTA

Man this is getting old...Every new update I have to download the whole game again. Keep getting an error when trying to download the new patch and given the option to either try again or download all patches again...3rd time this has happened..

epmode

The launcher/patcher is pretty terrible. They're working on an update that will allow easier and faster patching on both sides but I don't know when it will be finished.

The thing is I'm not really into Space Sims, the last game of the genre I played was Freelancer for like 1000 hours, and this game seems to be pretty close to the enjoyment I got from Freelancer.

The other thing I like on SC more than on ED are the ship designs... So cool..

If you're looking for the trading/bounties/exploring/upgrading experience of Freelancer, you'll get that in Star Citizen... but it's *at least* a year away, more likely closer to two. Until then ED will suit you well in that regard, there's really no reason not to get both, unless there's just deeper mechanical/artistic reasons you're not into ED. It's been fun to watch SC develop but there isn't much of it to actually play for now.

Also, practically all of my favorite space sims allow for fast maneuvering. X-Wing/TIE Fighter, Wing Commander, Freespace

Yeah that's one thing I'll never understand. You turn way too fast for a space sim? What? Arbitrary space turning speed limit? That doesn't even make sense, but it's definitely a "favorite" criticism ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But, is it playable already? I love the dogfight part of it, and thats something I missed a bit watching elite videos..

Yeah, it's playable. However, at this stage it's all about core mechanics. There's no progression or anything like that to make it feel like a complete game. It's also lacking polish because that's not the point of the current stage of development.

I would encourage you to back the game if you like the concept and want to get hands-on with a game in development. However, if your intent is to have a game that you can keep on playing, Star Citizen is just not at that point yet. That will come in 2015 as all of the modules start coming together and the first episode of Squadron 42 gets released.

Game's been finally getting more stable so I could finally fly the glorious Avenger in for a longer period of time. Handles a bit more bulky compared to the 300 tester and given it's huge acceleration the limited speed of 220 is pretty stupid. Love the open view of the cockpit, but it tends to get a heavy amount of glare close to the cockpit which is annoying.

The main gun is pretty nice even though the spool time can be disorientating but I don't care for the Joker cannons on it right now. No real feedback on what it's doing and pairing it with the cannon feels way too weak. I am holding an Aurora for my friend so I switched those Joker cannons for some M3As and HOLY SHIT! I was tearing though Vanduuls like no tomorrow. I could pepper them down with the lasers and just line up the cannon to shed their little ships wit ease. Later rounds I literally dove into the middle of the Vanduul birds and was taking each one down with ease while avoiding fire and boosting back and forth to gain a shooting solution. I use the two stage trigger for the guns so it was stage 1- lasers and stage 2- Cannon. Made the right choice in the Avenger, just have to trade out the distortion cannons for lasers.

fresquito

Hi, it's been a long while since I last booted the game and I don't really know what's going on, but I think I need some help.

When I tried to launch, it needed to update, bur it said something was wrong and needed to redownload. Did some other stuff until the game was updated and launched it. The game meet me with a black screen. I cont+alt+del and saw the game was running. So I waited patiently and after a long while, I was in my hangar, but I couldn't find my ship (Aurora MR). Last time I played, there was a stand with a helmet from where you could play Arena, but I couldn't find it either. Options have some programi9ng language as well.

So, my question is: Are things for me as they should or something's broken? What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Issue 1: Go to launcher settings and select English (or whichever).

Issue 2: Helmet stand was removed, AC launches when you get in the cockpit. Helmet is automatically on now in AC

Issue 3: Go to the RSI site and in you account go to configure your hangar and and place your ship in the hangar bay.

Honey Bunny

How can I get out of my Aurora trainer (es) and draw my pistol? It doesn t have an eject... correct?

You've found the landing pads in the maps right? They're both near the space station things. Just lower yourself down gently onto them with F and your landing gear appears. When you touch ground the pilot automatically gets out of his seat. Exit the Aurora, mouse scroll wheel brings out the gun.

Actually you might be able to fire it inside the ship too. But I'd never do that to my Aurora...*opens Arena Commander*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom