• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So if I want to get in on this game I will need to purchase this pack with the 300i - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/300i

And then the 5 dollar arena module?

Well as he said, you could get the Aurora, although it's not particularly good at combat or racing. But it's the cheapest package that comes with an Arena Commander pass: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

Another option is to get the other starter ship, the Mustang Alpha: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha It's a little better at fighting, but it doesn't come with Arena Commander access, so you'll have to buy the $5 pass. Combined it ends up costing $5 more than the Aurora package with AC access above.

Then you've got the cheapest 300i package that Daedardus suggested: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/300i It doesn't come with an AC pass either, so after you get that for $5, you end up spending $25 more than the Aurora package above.

You can pretty much do this with Star Citizen all day, spending $5 or $10 more to get a little fancier-looking ship, until all of a sudden you've spent $500 and you're wondering how long you'll be able to stand the taste of ramen noodles. But keep in mind that any package* you pledge for comes with the full game in the end. The Arena Commander pass is just to pay server costs for letting you play stuff now.

*OK, except this one, which only gives you Squadron 42 (single-player campaign) and not Star Citizen, it looks like: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR

So if I want to get in on this game I will need to purchase this pack with the 300i - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/300i

And then the 5 dollar arena module?

If you want to try and save some money, you can buy an AMD Never Settle Star Citizen code from someone, they usually go for about $30, they come with a Mustang Omega (which is a racing ship), full game access, beta access and the Arena Commander pass. Then if you get that you can upgrade the Mustang Omega to an Avenger which is a really nice fighter and the upgrade only cost $5.

Tendo

If you want to try and save some money, you can buy an AMD Never Settle Star Citizen code from someone, they usually go for about $30, they come with a Mustang Omega (which is a racing ship), full game access, beta access and the Arena Commander pass. Then if you get that you can upgrade the Mustang Omega to an Avenger which is a really nice fighter and the upgrade only cost $5.

Well as he said, you could get the Aurora, although it's not particularly good at combat or racing. But it's the cheapest package that comes with an Arena Commander pass: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

Another option is to get the other starter ship, the Mustang Alpha: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Mustang-Alpha It's a little better at fighting, but it doesn't come with Arena Commander access, so you'll have to buy the $5 pass. Combined it ends up costing $5 more than the Aurora package with AC access above.

Then you've got the cheapest 300i package that Daedardus suggested: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/300i It doesn't come with an AC pass either, so after you get that for $5, you end up spending $25 more than the Aurora package above.

You can pretty much do this with Star Citizen all day, spending $5 or $10 more to get a little fancier-looking ship, until all of a sudden you've spent $500 and you're wondering how long you'll be able to stand the taste of ramen noodles. But keep in mind that any package* you pledge for comes with the full game in the end. The Arena Commander pass is just to pay server costs for letting you play stuff now.

*OK, except this one, which only gives you Squadron 42 (single-player campaign) and not Star Citizen, it looks like: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR

I'm not against paying more if it means I won't have a gimped ship. Which would be better for combat and dogfighting - the avenger or the 300i?

Are trading / mining stuff even in the game yet or is it just fighting? I don't see much reason to buy anything but a fighter right now, or am I wrong?

Akronis

I'm not against paying more if it means I won't have a gimped ship. Which would be better for combat and dogfighting - the avenger or the 300i?

Are trading / mining stuff even in the game yet or is it just fighting? I don't see much reason to buy anything but a fighter right now, or am I wrong?

Avenger would be best for dogfighting.

No trading or mining are implemented. Just the Dogfighting module (Arena Commander) and Racing. Up next will most likely be the FPS module.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

You are not wrong. I anticipated this — that there would be nothing to do but combat for a long while until the game is in beta — when I pledged in the Kickstarter, so I sprung for a Hornet instead of a Freelancer. Aside from the racing mode that was added late summertime, I've been right about my assumption.

The Avenger is better for fighting than a 300i, although the 325a (upgrade from 300i) is pretty good. Get whichever one looks cooler to you, since they're both pretty close in price!

Tendo

You are not wrong. I anticipated this — that there would be nothing to do but combat for a long while until the game is in beta — when I pledged in the Kickstarter, so I sprung for a Hornet instead of a Freelancer. Aside from the racing mode that was added late summertime, I've been right about my assumption.

The Avenger is better for fighting than a 300i, although the 325a (upgrade from 300i) is pretty good. Get whichever one looks cooler to you, since they're both pretty close in price!

I'm not really sure what the "classes" mean when I compare weapon stats on the page. I like the look of the avenger more - Will I get hosed by buying that one? I don't have a problem buying a ship that much but I don't want to buy the wrong one. If that makes sense.

epmode

Just read the description of the ship's role and look at the model. The game is too far off to make judgements based on anything else.

I'm not really sure what the "classes" mean when I compare weapon stats on the page. I like the look of the avenger more - Will I get hosed by buying that one? I don't have a problem buying a ship that much but I don't want to buy the wrong one. If that makes sense.

According to Reverse the Verse today (an informal stream typically after the Around the Verse show, but delayed this week) the weapon class system is being entirely changed and we can forget everything we currently know about it anyway, so don't worry too much about what it says now. For reference though, the current system is that class 1 weapons are fixed and fire straight ahead at a fixed sight on your HUD, while class 2 weapons are gimbaled and rotate. Class 3 are missiles, while class 4 are unmanned turrets that currently behave mostly like class 2s. Class 5 are manned turrets, and anything about that is capital ship stuff.

Tendo

According to Reverse the Verse today (an informal stream typically after the Around the Verse show, but delayed this week) the weapon class system is being entirely changed and we can forget everything we currently know about it anyway, so don't worry too much about what it says now. For reference though, the current system is that class 1 weapons are fixed and fire straight ahead at a fixed sight on your HUD, while class 2 weapons are gimbaled and rotate. Class 3 are missiles, while class 4 are unmanned turrets that currently behave mostly like class 2s. Class 5 are manned turrets, and anything about that is capital ship stuff.

Just read the description of the ship's role and look at the model. The game is too far off to make judgements based on anything else.

Rad. I just went with the Avenger pack and the game is downloading now. That is one sleek looking ship. Between this and Elite and with my new flight stick I am in heaven. Thanks everyone for the help!

Looking forward to seeing the landing sequence when arriving at Terra Prime, this in-engine shot looks promising
10903860_798234070229881_7879605812264369450_o.jpg

CIG support keeps being top notch, I asked them if they would move my alpha access to my Mustang Omega (now Avenger) package and they did it, and kept the alpha access on my Aurora package as well. I think I'm about to melt down my Aurora for $50 store credit and get a sweet ass Avenger variant when those come out. The alpha access was the only thing keeping me from doing something with my Aurora package, which I don't really want anymore.

Hastati

CIG support keeps being top notch, I asked them if they would move my alpha access to my Mustang Omega (now Avenger) package and they did it, and kept the alpha access on my Aurora package as well. I think I'm about to melt down my Aurora for $50 store credit and get a sweet ass Avenger variant when those come out. The alpha access was the only thing keeping me from doing something with my Aurora package, which I don't really want anymore.

If you have LTI you might consider upgrading instead of melting?

Ah, then yeah, might as well convert the money into something else! Hopefully the variants come with LTI, I unfortunately scrapped an LTI avenger awhile back....

I'm hoping for LTI too, my Avenger has only 2 months, because it's an upgraded Mustang Omega package and that's all it came with. It would be cool if they added insurance that can just be bought and added to a package with out having to upgrade or CCU it.

Cross-posting from the other thread, If you're attending PAX South or happen to be in San Antonio, Chris Roberts & co. will be hosting their own little event on 1/23/15 at the Aztec Theater: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14421-Star-Citizen-Town-Hall-At-PAX-South

You don't need PAX South tickets since it's offsite, but it does cost $15-30 dollars per ticket.

Can you link the other thread? Didn't know there was another SC thread.

First time I got to sat down and play 1.0 since release. I am very impressed with the quality. They have to fix some minor bugs such as string names and the game minimizing if the mouse leaves the screen area, but it's very solid otherwise.

GrippingCompetentImperialeagle.gif
ContentDeadlyImperialeagle.gif

I really like the new missile effects and cam.

KKRT00

Damn

"We’re now starting to refine the new ship damage shader so that we can get different visual feedback from each weapon. For example a ballistic weapon will dent the metalwork and often puncture holes, lasers will scorch the surface and leave a burning edge that will continue to eat through some of the metal work over the following seconds, and explosions will create a visible ripple that travels across the hull as the metalwork is bent and scorched."
As far as Squadron 42 is concerned, we actually managed to keep some designers from V1 and we progressed well with Episode 1. We have had various mechanics, now getting more code support, that are becoming more final and useable in our play-throughs, which really helps the flow of the levels . The script work came on really well, with us actually doing our first motion-capture shoot for the intro sequence and the vertical slice.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14420-Monthly-Report-December

Hastati

Oh man, that is super cool. I love contextual damage to objects, I remember being floored the first time I crashed a car in GTAIV.

As for the Arena, I like that they have in-universe training centers that double as easy ways to sit down and play without any downsides. It's also cool to have a sports/non-violent aspect to the game, I feel this game will benefit greatly from allowing passivity. Makes pirates that much more evil if most people don't spend their time going around killing each other, adds some cool morality dynamics to player relationships.

EDIT: Also that looks almost exactly like the training center from the Ender's Game movie. I wonder if it will have similar rules?

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
So should I keep my Mustang Omega from the AMD bundle or upgrade it upwards? Will racing ships have their own purpose?

I was wondering about this too. Looking at the modules that are going to be released and have been released it seems like there will be things in the Player Universe that are not serious. By serious I mean there will be things you can do in a more recreational sense that doesn't have a lethal or serious tone to it. For example we have a racing module and the way the FPS module is looking it will be a sport in the universe. I therefore assume that you could be a professional racer in the game and earn income. I also assume/hope you could do the same by competing in FPS tournaments. This is speculation on my part of course. I have an Omega and an M50. Thankfully the M50 can double as an interceptor ship rather than just pure racing.

Tendo

I have a few noob questions

I'm using the x55 on the avenger. How do I aim gimbal like I see in some videos and gifs? All I can do is aim straight ahead. Is that my weapon type or am I doing something wrong?

What does this 6 month insurance mean?

The sucker punch cannon sucks. I want to sell them and put something else there. Is there anyway to do that yet or is that only if I have other ships purchased? Is there anyway to earn money right now so I could buy a different gun?

Game is beautiful though. Dogfighting is super fun. I'm awful at it. I'm excited for more to be added.

epmode

There is currently no way to get new guns for your ships without either moving around the ones you already have via the awful in-game loadout system or buying hilariously overpriced items via Voyager Direct.

CIG will be adding a way to earn temporary credits through combat in the dogfighting module but I don't think a timeframe has been established.

As for the insurance question, you will have to insure your ship so that it can be replaced if/when it gets destroyed. It's a bit of a loaded topic since so much emphasis was placed on LIFETIME INSURANCE FOR EARLY BACKERS but it's impossible to quantify the value of insurance until we have real numbers which won't be for another year or more.

Tendo

There is currently no way to get new guns for your ships without either moving around the ones you already have via the awful in-game loadout system or buying hilariously overpriced items via Voyager Direct.

CIG will be adding a way to earn temporary credits through combat in the dogfighting module but I don't think a timeframe has been established.

As for the insurance question, you will have to insure your ship so that it can be replaced if/when it gets destroyed. It's a bit of a loaded topic since so much emphasis was placed on LIFETIME INSURANCE FOR EARLY BACKERS but it's impossible to quantify the value of insurance until we have real numbers which won't be for another year or more.

So if my 6 months is up and I die doing a drone swarm I lose my ship? :(

"So if my 6 months is up and I die doing a drone swarm I lose my ship? :("

The vanduul swarm mode is a simulation, you'll never risk anything by playing it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So if my 6 months is up and I die doing a drone swarm I lose my ship? :(

The insurance pertains to the persistent universe portion of the game when it goes live (it's still well more than a year away from doing that).

You don't have to worry about insurance in Arena Commander. Just play it like a regular video game.

So on January 23rd we will be seeing another SC town Hall meeting this time showing off the Persistent Universe progress.

What do you guys think we will see? Prototype conversation system? Another ship entry into atmosphere? A back alley gun fight?

So on January 23rd we will be seeing another SC town Hall meeting this time showing off the Persistent Universe progress.

What do you guys think we will see? Prototype conversation system? Another ship entry into atmosphere? A back alley gun fight?

Probably a more fleshed out version of that Planetside Landing gameplay, hopefully they show a little bit of everything, I would like to see how others players are represented in world.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd just love to see the fundamentals in action. Show a ship take off from a planet or station, fly around a bit, jump to another system and land/dock at another planet/station.

KKRT00

I'd just love to see the fundamentals in action. Show a ship take off from a planet or station, fly around a bit, jump to another system and land/dock at another planet/station.

It could be slightly too early for a such presentation, but who knows.

I think landing on an outpost and doing some NPCs interation and then maybe some short FPS mission is more likely.

Ps. I'm counting on intro and vertical slice of Squadron 42 around GDC.

Starviper

First time I got to sat down and play 1.0 since release. I am very impressed with the quality. They have to fix some minor bugs such as string names and the game minimizing if the mouse leaves the screen area, but it's very solid otherwise.

GrippingCompetentImperialeagle.gif
ContentDeadlyImperialeagle.gif

I really like the new missile effects and cam.

Those missile effects are incredible.. I'd been playing Elite Dangerous, and hadn't touched the new AC 1.0 with my flightstick yet. Think I might have to after seeing that.

Shy

hi i just wanted to make sure it was cool to send the gaf org a request to join. because i'm only a junior.

Zabojnik

I wonder if they'll ever consider introducing beam weapons to non-capital ships. With proper balancing I think the combat variety it would bring would far outweight any negatives. Plus they look so much cooler than Star Wars pew-pew laser bolts. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom