• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dictator93 doesn't read thread confirmed.

"Helmet stand was removed, AC launches when you get in the cockpit. Helmet is automatically on now in AC."

LIES

LIES

LIES
i didnt read the thread >(

I went outside of my ship without a helmet on, that is why I ask :D

EDIT: Going into AC from the ship or from the menu yields this: Mind you I am doing free flight of course. Helmet is just not there for some reason...
starcitizen_2014_12_22uq4r.jpg

starcitizen_2014_12_2ger01.jpg

Man I haven't played a game like this in a long time. Is an Xbox one controller ok? I tried flying around the drone sim and it felt like I was moving really slow and there were a bunch of buttons that I couldn't figure out.

Daedardus

The biggest release of AC is when they put in a decent AA mode, no matter how many ships they add in later releases :p. It's the only thing holding Star Citizen back from being the most pretty game currently released.

RK9039

EDIT: Going into AC from the ship or from the menu yields this: Mind you I am doing free

Yeah that's so strange. My guy doesn't have a helmet in the hanger but when I start up AC he's wearing one.

i3E0ZXqE9GA9x.png

Is your guy an alien?

The biggest release of AC is when they put in a decent AA mode, no matter how many ships they add in later releases :p. It's the only thing holding Star Citizen back from being the most pretty game currently released.

Agreed, we need AA.

I don't think those flying auroura have the Helmut huds like the other ships as that info is displayed on cockpit panels which is why I think the Pilot doesn't wear a helmet

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't think those flying auroura have the Helmut huds like the other ships as that info is displayed on cockpit panels which is why I think the Pilot doesn't wear a helmet

Probably this. Ships that can be walked around in don't have helmets for their pilots. Ships that are cockpity (Hornet, m50) require helmets.

Want to swap my Aurora LX for a Beta cause of that amazing interior, but the 0 cargo space is a real downer. What's the point of an exploration ship if you can't take anything you might find =X. Even the smallest random thing is probably going be a standard "1 freight unit" of cargo space.

They need to go back (yeah yeaaaaaah) and rework the 300 series interiors to be actually interesting and not just massive empty spaces, then I'd suck it up and take a 315p. Beta puts it to shame right now.

It's such a disaster every time I pilot my ship I've taken to booting up the hangar and walking around the old girl and turning it off to play Wolfenstein. :D This is an Amnesia level of fear I am feeling.

Korten

Banned
I tried to find info but could someone give me a tl;dr about Star Citizen?

Like is it an MMO? I see that ships on the site go on sale for real money, some upwards of 200 dollars. When the game is launched, will you not be able to get any good ships without paying shit loads of money?

Will the game be free? or will it be a $60 title?

:(

The site didn't help me...

Like is it an MMO? I see that ships on the site go on sale for real money, some upwards of 200 dollars. When the game is launched, will you not be able to get any good ships without paying shit loads of money?

i'll try:

it'll have a single player campaign for people like me, as well as a persistent universe (which has MMOish like elements to it) where you can interact with other people. The ships are on sale for real money yes, but only for those who want to help with funding of the game. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SHIPS WITH REAL MONEY. Once the game is released, you can get any ship with in game currency.

The game will not be free. You will have to buy a copy of the game once its out.

Tommyhawk

There will be a lengthy single player part called Squadron 42 and the online MMO like universe called Star Citizen (+ the option to open your own private server + MODs on these private servers).

Once the game launches you won't be able to buy ships with real money and will have to earn them ingame. The current ship sales are only for the crowdfunding.
There will be no premium content/currency/whatever EVERYTHING can be earned and achieved ingame through gameplay.

And yes once the game launches it'll be a 60$ title.

Korten

Banned
i'll try:

it'll have a single player campaign for people like me, as well as a persistent universe (which has MMOish like elements to it) where you can interact with other people. The ships are on sale for real money yes, but only for those who want to help with funding of the game. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THE SHIPS WITH REAL MONEY. Once the game is released, you can get any ship with in game currency.

The game will not be free. You will have to buy a copy of the game once its out.

There will be a lengthy single player part called Squadron 42 and the online MMO like universe called Star Citizen (+ the option to open your own private server + MODs on these private servers).

Once the game launches you won't be able to buy ships with real money and will have to earn them ingame. The current ship sales are only for the crowdfunding.
There will be no premium content/currency/whatever EVERYTHING can be earned and achieved ingame through gameplay.

And yes once the game launches it'll be a 60$ title.

Thanks for the information! Makes me more excited than before now that it has been cleared up.

I'd say this pretty much confirms that the Moon landing was shot in a studio.

Yeah that's so strange. My guy doesn't have a helmet in the hanger but when I start up AC he's wearing one.

Is your guy an alien?

I'm laughing so hard right now!
lol

I think they forgot about the Aurora (some oversight when putting in all the ships). Sure your pilot does not need a helmet HUD, but the pilot definitely needs a helmet for EVA.

Agreed, we need AA.
Given the fact that Cryengine has some of the best real time AA out there, it is really urprising they just havent added any of that in. PBR really really needs more comprehensive AA options.

Wow, the CCU for the Mustang Omega is up, you can switch to the Mustang Gamma for free then switch the Gamma to an Avenger for $5. Any impressions on the Avenger?

Wow, the CCU for the Mustang Omega is up, you can switch to the Mustang Gamma for free then switch the Gamma to an Avenger for $5. Any impressions on the Avenger?

I had $5 in my account so I upgraded to delta for only $5, but after reading impressions on both people seem to favor the Avenger instead. The CCU is a dead end after getting Delta but the Avenger can CCU to 315p then go hornet or cutlass from there.

I had $5 in my account so I upgraded to delta for only $5, but after reading impressions on both people seem to favor the Avenger instead. The CCU is a dead end after getting Delta but the Avenger can CCU to 315p then go hornet or cutlass from there.

That's what I'm looking to do, go to Gamma > Avenger (maybe keep if I like it) > 315p potentially. It definitely opens a lot more options.

EDIT: Trying to get a hold of CS to see if they can switch my Alpha access to my Mustang package so I can melt my Aurora LX and get the store credit to upgrade.

That's what I'm looking to do, go to Gamma > Avenger (maybe keep if I like it) > 315p potentially. It definitely opens a lot more options.

EDIT: Trying to get a hold of CS to see if they can switch my Alpha access to my Mustang package so I can melt my Aurora LX and get the store credit to upgrade.

I went ahead and upgraded my LX to an LN, and my Gamma to an Avenger, the Avenger is pretty awesome, it controls so much better than any of the other ships I've used, really glad I went with it.

Skyzard

Banned
Tried to check this out again, it's been a while as before I kept getting the endless loading loop and some disconnection issues after a patch.

Redownloaded everything after the patch failed. Wiped all my user files...

And I still get the connection error message after a few minutes of playing (sometimes less) that messes everything up. Including bringing back the endless loading. Need to exit and start it up again hoping I can catch a glimpse or two.

It also seems to run like ass now. Can't even find decent video settings to choose from.

Think I'll come back when they reach version 2 or 3.

---is it fine for others? Looking back at my old screens, it was damn pretty. And my m50 is just sitting there. Heard it's faster too...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
It's interesting that they're opening a new internal studio, and in Germany of all places.

they bought Crytek

Lutherian

Do you think RSI will add a true graphics options instead of presets ? And besides, 20 GB for three zones with "simulation barriers", damn !

I'm wondering what will be the size of the final game when all the planets / star systems will be available...

KKRT00

Do you think RSI will add a true graphics options instead of presets ? And besides, 20 GB for three zones with "simulation barriers", damn !

I'm wondering what will be the size of the final game when all the planets / star systems will be available...

Options screen is a CryEngine placeholder.

Tendo

I want in on this. I don't know how to get in on this.

I just got an X55 and Elite Dangerous - digging it quite a bit. I also want to get in on Star Citizen but the store page is so confusing. Do you have to buy every ship with cash or can you save for them in game? What packs / models / starter kits will get me in the game now? What is a good ship if I want to focus on combat. I want to dogfight and blast dudes.

Or maybe I haven't been following and I should just wait?

Daedardus

All ships can be earned through ingame money. You'll need the Arena commander module pass to be able to enjoy more than just the hangar. Best ship purely for dogfighting right now is the Hornet, although it may be a tad expensive for a first try. The Aurora is cheap but also horrible to dogfight with, it's more designed as an early trading ship. Best fun for the money right now are the 300i packages, you can always 'melt' your ship for store credits to upgrade if you like the game and want more.

Be sure to get a game package (includes credits and other stuff) and the module pass. Don't get a standalone ship because that alone won't give you access to the game. You're free to buy them when you have a package though.

Tendo

All ships can be earned through ingame money. You'll need the Arena commander module pass to be able to enjoy more than just the hangar. Best ship purely for dogfighting right now is the Hornet, although it may be a tad expensive for a first try. The Aurora is cheap but also horrible to dogfight with, it's more designed as an early trading ship. Best fun for the money right now are the 300i packages, you can always 'melt' your ship for store credits to upgrade if you like the game and want more.

Be sure to get a game package (includes credits and other stuff) and the module pass. Don't get a standalone ship because that alone won't give you access to the game. You're free to buy them when you have a package though.

So if I want to get in on this game I will need to purchase this pack with the 300i - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/300i

And then the 5 dollar arena module?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom