• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

i sent my gaf org request. hope that's cool.

edit: thanks for letting me in. my connie and M50 won't let you down.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
i was thinking of upgrading my avenger to a cutlass black or hornet.. which would be better?

Depends on what you want to do. The Hornet is set up as a killing machine more than any other ship, but it has practically no cargo room. The Cutlass has a decent cargo hold that can be swapped out for different modules (perhaps turning your ship into a mobile medical bay, for example) and it OK at fighting, but also has the stigma of being seen as a pirate ship.

Geist-

i was thinking of upgrading my avenger to a cutlass black or hornet.. which would be better?

Cutlass Black is more useful if you want to wait for PU and your main goal requires more cargo room (trading, exploring, pirating since you need a place for your booty), but overall the Hornet is better for dogfighting and has a lot of room for improvement, such as a ball turret in the middle and canard turret under the chin once they allow ship equipment to be purchased.

Cutlass Black might get a lot better at Dogfighting though when multicrew comes out though, when you can get someone to man that turret. When you can divvy up the responsibilities between flying and shooting, ships tend to fly and shoot way better.

Tommyhawk

Seems like they want to ditch the module passes:

-To help eliminate the confusion for new backers, it is likely the module passes will be going away and instead of the passes, the game packages will just go up by $5 and include the module. (As I understand this, a package that was $30 before AC would be $35 now and then $40 with FPS and $45 with Planetside and include access to all of those.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2sjbu2/notes_from_reverse_the_verse_episode_30/

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Pretty cool in engine shot of a planetary atmosphere. I'm curious to see how close they'll let us fly to them before it triggers the automatic landing sequence

Amazingly beautiful.

Looking over this list of their funding goals still blows my mind.

I'm finally gonna pledge for this game as I've been intending to do it for a while, but never gotten around to it.

-To help eliminate the confusion for new backers, it is likely the module passes will be going away and instead of the passes, the game packages will just go up by $5 and include the module. (As I understand this, a package that was $30 before AC would be $35 now and then $40 with FPS and $45 with Planetside and include access to all of those.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2sjbu2/notes_from_reverse_the_verse_episode_30/

That is good. People getting confused etc..

Interesting. However, if that quote is correct, it still seems like there will have to be some sort of module pass. For example, if I bought the $35 AC package, I still would need to pay $5 each for FPS and Planetside.

Regardless, I'm sure CIG is on it, and I hope they find a good solution. Having to explain the module passes to a new player is a bit confusing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Interesting. However, if that quote is correct, it still seems like there will have to be some sort of module pass. For example, if I bought the $35 AC package, I still would need to pay $5 each for FPS and Planetside.

Regardless, I'm sure CIG is on it, and I hope they find a good solution. Having to explain the module passes to a new player is a bit confusing.

I think if you buy the $35 package now, you'll get access to everything, including future modules.

Once the FPS module comes out, the price for a basic package that includes everything will increase to $40. Once the planetside module is out, it'll cost $45 to gain access to everything.

Basically, they're making it cost more to get into the game at a later date.

Shy

as i was watching the art sneak peak at the end of the latest episode of around the verse, i realised that even though i've got a good rig, this game is going to chew it up and spit it out. :(

I tried playing a coop Vanduul Swarm match with a friend, but we could not start a game because the search would say that no match was found... after a single second of searching.
Hopefully, this gets fixed with the new patch.

Tommyhawk

I tried playing a coop Vanduul Swarm match with a friend, but we could not start a game because the search would say that no match was found... after a single second of searching.
Hopefully, this gets fixed with the new patch.

Yes, It's a known bug and will be fixed with next weeks 1.01 release.

epmode

I actually prefer that they are showing most of the stuff completely raw from CryEngine directly.

Yeah, insisting on honest-to-god realtime gameplay demos is great. If nothing else, it keeps CIG's feet to the fire which is important for a developer that doesn't have to worry about publisher deliverables.

Daedardus

Anyone who already bought another weapon in the Voyager Direct store with his free credits? Does it actually make a difference already? I think I'll just save up my credits for when the PU hits. Wasn't there going to be a way to earn temporary credits by dogfighting?

Xyber

So, uh... Why can't I try this free ship? I can still only access my Aurora. Do I have to do something special?

For the next week, we’re unlocking the Mustang Lineup for all backers to test! Consolidated Outland is taking the fight to RSI with their sleek and affordable Mustang. It may lack the cargo capacity of the Aurora but it more than makes up for it in firepower and style. The following ships will be free from January 16th to January 23rd:

Mustang Alpha
Mustang Beta
Mustang Gamma
Mustang Delta
Mustang Omega

Edit: Found my answer. Since I was gifted the game I am not seen as a backer apparently.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So, uh... Why can't I try this free ship? I can still only access my Aurora. Do I have to do something special?

Edit: Found my answer. Since I was gifted the game I am not seen as a backer apparently.

I think it's odd that they make that distinction. Just let everyone who owns a copy have access to the temporarily free ship.

That is really odd. When you go to arena commander and pick the map and game type, lower right hand corner has drop down list with available ships. Click on the ship displayed and the drop downlist opens, the mustang variants should be there.

Trial ships do not show up on the website nor in your hangar beyond the holotable. Are they in your holotable to customize?

Xyber

That is really odd. When you go to arena commander and pick the map and game type, lower right hand corner has drop down list with available ships. Click on the ship displayed and the drop downlist opens, the mustang variants should be there.

Trial ships do not show up on the website nor in your hangar beyond the holotable. Are they in your holotable to customize?

I couldn't select the ship until I bought some random skin (that I can't even use yet :p) for 5 bucks. I am now seen as a "real" backer and got access to the ships.

Geist-

Found a youtube video of the broadcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ej6u1h7ZEg

And here's a slide of the expected module release schedule:
lFnU8Oy.jpg

KKRT00

I'll be surprised if they can stick to that. Hell I'll be surprised if we have any new scenarios in AC by summer let alone the FPS and planetside modules by spring. Pleasantly surprised however, so here's to hoping.

Squadron 42 delay till like January or February is almost a given :p

Squadron 42 delay till like January or February is almost a given :p

BTW in the latest Ten For the Chairman he talked a bit more about the German Studio they are opening.

From everything that he said it seems to be a tech studio filled with "industry veterans." They will be focusing on performance and visual features.

Also, according to the BAFTA presentation, they have yet to show off any of their facial tech (imaginarium stuff). All the commercials so far have used hand animated faces.

KKRT00

BTW in the latest Ten For the Chairman he talked a bit more about the German Studio they are opening.

From everything that he said it seems to be a tech studio filled with "industry veterans." They will be focusing on performance and visual features.

Also, according to the BAFTA presentation, they have yet to show off any of their facial tech (imaginarium stuff). All the commercials so far have used hand animated faces.

Lol, they did really 'hired' Crytek, didnt they?
But thats great, it means we will get summaries from this studio every month :) I really hope that they will include some new video segment about technology or at least give some news about technology, it one of the aspect of SC that its not really covered, except for some random quotes or big presentations. And i'm enjoying a lot Foundry 42's Graphics Programming segment in monthly reports.

I need to watch both today.

Daedardus

Aw yiss, finally some good AA and other graphical options.

Geist-

I'll be surprised if they can stick to that. Hell I'll be surprised if we have any new scenarios in AC by summer let alone the FPS and planetside modules by spring. Pleasantly surprised however, so here's to hoping.

It's slim, but there's a chance they could hit these goals. The major time consumer for this game is building the engine, as they get closer to finishing the engine and finish building some of the major systems and tools, content will be coming out way faster than previously. There will still probably be delays, but I can totally see them ramping up the timeline for module releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom