• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

ruyMGMV.jpg

Xyber

Damn, I have a 970 too but I set it on fire and threw it into a cement truck after the internet told me it was crippled and worthless :<

I was about to do the same, but then I remembered I had not experienced anything of the stuff being reported and I won't care since I will most likely replace it with a GTX1080 or whatever they will call it.

I'm so indecisive on what ship I want to keep, I went from an Aurora LN > LX > Mustang Gamma > Avenger > 315p and now to a 325a, I must say I'm really digging this ship as far as dog fighting is concerned. Looking forward to Freelancer CCU's so I can finally stop, as that's the ship I want to keep for PU.

Burny

I'm fully expecting that my PC will need an upgrade when the game eventually releases. At the moment it's not even completely smooth on medium settings at 1920x1080. Radeon R9 280X and Intel Xeon E3-1230v3.

Something else... Is anybody having issues getting into the Arena Commander controls with a HOTAS (X52 Pro in my case)? The standard settings put roll on the Z-axis while yaw is on the X-axis. I read on the RSI forums that this was due to yaw being not "penalized" compared to roll in space flight like it is in orbital flight. However, there is an automatic roll when you yaw, which makes it incredibly hard to get used to having yaw on the X-axis. Also, if gimbaled weapons (say, the Hornet's turret) had something like a limited auto aim for locked on targets, it would would be tremendously helpful for HOTAS controls. Yes, it might be "OP". That's hardly an issue of the 30th century military though. If they've got board computers computing a lead marker for aiming, scanners for determining astounding details about the status of enemy ships (like shield and hull status) they've got enough computing power to auto control gimbaled weapons. ;p

Then there is the issue of having a fully configured sensible default setup for specific HOTAS/joysticks. It'd be really nice if sim(-like) games provided something like that for a change, at least for the most common setups. It's always a back and forth between being ingame, testing controlls, finding out what is mapped to what and jumping back to the options, looking for useful things that aren't mapped or remapping the things you need elsewhere. That's not an issue specific to the Star Citizen alpha though, but to every such games I've touched so far. :p

Skyzard

Banned
I used to get double the fps if I remember correctly, trying this out after a long break and I swear it used to be much smoother.

Right now on 2560x1440 high settings I get 30fps on races. I used to get 60.
1920x1080, medium settings, 45fps with a 780ti and 4770K at 4.4

Can't even use headtracking anymore as it runs so bad. What the fuck.

Weren't we also able to configure graphics settings more before - like what "high" settings include?

Yeah. 1080p, very high. i7 4770K@4,2GHz and 970.
wot.

Mines all fresh installs and config files too. Did you do some tweaking?

Xyber

I used to get double the fps if I remember correctly, trying this out after a long break and I swear it used to be much smoother.

Right now on 2560x1440 high settings I get 30fps on races. I used to get 60.
1920x1080, medium settings, 45fps with a 780ti and 4770K at 4.4

Can't even use headtracking anymore as it runs so bad. What the fuck.

Weren't we also able to configure graphics settings more before - like what "high" settings include?

wot.

Mines all fresh installs and config files too. Did you do some tweaking?

Haven't tweaked anything, but I get nowhere near that when I do a race. That level is much more demanding.

And I'm pretty sure we have never been able to change individual graphic settings.

Haven't tweaked anything, but I get nowhere near that when I do a race. That level is much more demanding.

And I'm pretty sure we have never been able to change individual graphic settings.

You can in the .ini file ( I do all the time since my rig is a pretty special case).

And yeah, the Murray cup levels are just brutal on PCs. I get the feeling they are using like... 0 LODs or something. Either that or some crazy pixel shading / tesselation for th entirety of everthing.

These Avenger changes are a bit rough. I like the new mass but the acceleration has been completely tanked making flying....cumbersome at best.

Worse though is the main gun now not being changeable, the stock one really doesn't do much damage and has a pretty limited ammo capacity. Pair that with the non damaging Sucker Punches and it becomes very frustrating. Hopefully that can bring it more back in line with the next build.

These Avenger changes are a bit rough. I like the new mass but the acceleration has been completely tanked making flying....cumbersome at best.

Worse though is the main gun now not being changeable, the stock one really doesn't do much damage and has a pretty limited ammo capacity. Pair that with the non damaging Sucker Punches and it becomes very frustrating. Hopefully that can bring it more back in line with the next build.

I think their limiting its main gun will have to do with the variants and its fiction of being a stock cop car of sorts. I can understand your frustration though.

BTW, i took a jump further into the pool and upgraded my aurora MR (sorry aurora, I love your cockpit, but you are soooo shit) to a Mustang Beta (the jump drive with the camper). I am debating whether I want the camper or not / should just upgrade to the delta.

I am not sure about what the utility of the bed / camper will be in the real universe (transport as well as having a place to sleep and eat), so the delta's paint scheme and weapon load out are very tempting.

Agremont

My mind is blown at the prices of them ships. I really shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I wish I could ditch my shitty-ass Aurora MR, but I can't spend real money on that stuff.

Beautiful ships tho. Gorgeous stuff.

I love my Aurora MR. It'll probably be quite capable after a few upgrades so don't despair.

Tommyhawk

My mind is blown at the prices of them ships. I really shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I wish I could ditch my shitty-ass Aurora MR, but I can't spend real money on that stuff.

Beautiful ships tho. Gorgeous stuff.

I love my Aurora MR. It'll probably be quite capable after a few upgrades so don't despair.

Don't forget that you can upgrade your Aurora MR to a Mustang Alpha (if you like the Mustang better) for exactly 0$:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Cross-Chassis-Upgrades/Aurora-MR-To-Mustang-Alpha-Upgrade

(Note I'm pretty out of date with Star Citizen info so the following may be similarly out of date)

Don't forget that it still isn't all that clear whether the logout process has changed; if it hasn't it may be a factor worth considering when picking a ship.

Originally it was described as having two options: logging out at the pilot's seat would cause your ship to still stay within the persistent universe and it would be AI controlled as it automatically flew to the nearest port, and logging out at a bed would allow your ship to disappear from the persistent universe until you logged back in; the latter obviously being far safer for your character and ship.

All Aurora models have a bed compared to the Mustang, where only the Beta model has one. If the logout system still works as described having a bed could make quite a difference.

Irobot82

I updated to 1.0.1 AC. They said the Aurora's were still broken so my LN still can't use 4 guns. They gave us a 300i loaner. Which has two guns (with a max of three). It also has a missile rack but I couldn't slap my LN's rack on it. *sigh*

Blizzard

Banned
(Note I'm pretty out of date with Star Citizen info so the following may be similarly out of date)

Don't forget that it still isn't all that clear whether the logout process has changed; if it hasn't it may be a factor worth considering when picking a ship.

Originally it was described as having two options: logging out at the pilot's seat would cause your ship to still stay within the persistent universe and it would be AI controlled as it automatically flew to the nearest port, and logging out at a bed would allow your ship to disappear from the persistent universe until you logged back in; the latter obviously being far safer for your character and ship.

All Aurora models have a bed compared to the Mustang, where only the Beta model has one. If the logout system still works as described having a bed could make quite a difference.
Is there an in-universe explanation for that? Quantum beds that park your ship in hyperspace?

Daedardus

Is there an in-universe explanation for that? Quantum beds that park your ship in hyperspace?

To be honest, it's nice that they try to get in-universe explanation for most things but they don't have to for all of them, especially not things that are inherently a part of the way games work.

Blizzard

Banned
To be honest, it's nice that they try to get in-universe explanation for most things but they don't have to for all of them, especially not things that are inherently a part of the way games work.
I wish they would incorporate some more game elements, like a simple, 2D GUI instead of the 3D hologram thing I had to use the last time I tried to swap weapons onto a ship or whatever.

I also want to be able to quickly jump out of a ship without having to do a ladder-climbing animation.

I haven't played in months so maybe those things are already changed by now, though.

Daedardus

The ladder climbing feels natural to me though. I understand where you are coming from, as it can be annoying in the hangar, but in the final game you will get out your ship less frequently. I prefer that over a big flash and boom, there we are.

epmode

I wish they would incorporate some more game elements, like a simple, 2D GUI instead of the 3D hologram thing I had to use the last time I tried to swap weapons onto a ship or whatever.

I also want to be able to quickly jump out of a ship without having to do a ladder-climbing animation.

I haven't played in months so maybe those things are already changed by now, though.

The UI is still a pile. I'd love to see their more recent UI work incorporated into the hangar module.

The UI is still a pile. I'd love to see their more recent UI work incorporated into the hangar module.

iirc there was talk about the holotable perhaps being replaced by the mobiglass interface, but I'm unsure if true.

In other news, Chris Roberts is doing an AMA on the 27th at 2 p.m. EST.

Shy

GAF... help me gaf, i have a problem.
i brought a merchantman, even though i don't have the money. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME.

i brought a merchantman, even though i don't have the money. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME.

Not a damn thing is wrong with you, I'm buying/upgrading/CCU'ing ships like a son of a bitch myself, it's funny trying to justify spending $100+ on a virtual ship that doesn't even exist but I still do it.

Yeah the UI is my biggest gripe with what we have so far. Transferring most of it to the Aurora's screens is a good start, on that ship, but it still doesn't display all the information at once in a great way, and having to jump screens to select things that could/should all be displayed at once is annoying. In other ships, all the fancy screens aren't even in your field of view. A lot of these cockpits were definitely made from an outside perspective like "man this looks cool!" but no one actually thought about how it would look sitting in the pilot's seat since there was no game then (this applies to a lot of aspects of the early stuff, really). There's so many indicators/buttons/displays scattered about that I'm having a hard time picturing real functions being tied to them one day, and if there are, it'll be extremely inconsistent per ship.

Playing through X-Wing and TIE Fighter recently has really made me appreciate those cockpits and how they packed all the indicators/functionality together in nice tight packages. Oh well, there's still lots of time for it all to be sorted out.

I just had the most intense Vanduul Swarm session with my newly acquired Cutlass Black, Round 4 down 1 main engine, 1 front wing, out of ammo in my top gun, one of bottom guns blown off, there is fire in the cockpit, me and a lone Vanduul are jousting back and forth for 10 minutes barely alive, getting pot shots at each other, than on the last joust, I hit him with my remaining engine, destroying him, as I go drifting into open space, without engines, and fire inside the cockpit. Then the game lost connection to the server, still one of the most intense things I've done in the game so far.

I just had the most intense Vanduul Swarm session with my newly acquired Cutlass Black, Round 4 down 1 main engine, 1 front wing, out of ammo in my top gun, one of bottom guns blown off, there is fire in the cockpit, me and a lone Vanduul are jousting back and forth for 10 minutes barely alive, getting pot shots at each other, than on the last joust, I hit him with my remaining engine, destroying him, as I go drifting into open space, without engines, and fire inside the cockpit. Then the game lost connection to the server, still one of the most intense things I've done in the game so far.

That sounds awesome. Would be even cooler in coop of course :D

So what do you guys think, should I keep my mustang beta or upgrade to the delta? Or just go for something else entirely?

I definitely want to explore with a jump drive when the PU starts, but I am unsure as to what the utility of beds or cabins are exactly (beyond looking totally boss),

Daedardus

The only reason I'm holding out is because I rather fly the thing immediately after buying, thus waiting on official release. And that I don't have the money, too. Like, really don't have.

Shy

The only reason I'm holding out is because I rather fly the thing immediately after buying, thus waiting on official release. And that I don't have the money, too. Like, really don't have.
i see where you're coming from. especially with the bantu which i hear won't even be ready till the PU. :(

Zalusithix

The holo UI for ship management has to be one of the worst interfaces ever. I'm fairly certain they couldn't make it any less efficient if they tried. Just to remove something from a ship you have to awkwardly vertically scroll to the ship you want, select it, horizontally scroll to menu for the ship part type you want, rotate the ship so you can select the part you want, then drag it out to the side bar. If you want to swap a part with another ship you have, you get to do this process at least 3 times. (Select and remove from ship A -> select Ship B and swap out part -> reselect ship A and place spare part in) I could probably run from ship to ship in the hanger and use the interact key with the ship parts just as fast (if such a thing was possible).

i see where you're coming from. especially with the bantu which i hear won't even be ready till the PU. :(

The Banu MM has no point until the PU though. You're not going to be using that thing for combat in AC, and being hanger ready only is the ultimate tease after the initial wow factor wears off. Just being able to walk around my Connie Phoenix got old real fast. For that reason, I'm thankful the Carrack isn't hanger ready. At least with the Connie, it'll be usable relatively soon. The Carrack on the other hand would be tempting me for ages.

I am rather looking forward to them having the Karthu-Al functional though. The fully gimballed thrusters, the retrofitted alien interface. Should be interesting to contrast it to the current human ships.

Shy

need a bit advise gaf, i'm thinking about melting my M50 for an Xi’An Karthu-Al, but i'm really unsure and wondered what you peeps think i should do.?

The Banu MM has no point until the PU though. You're not going to be using that thing for combat in AC, and being hanger ready only is the ultimate tease after the initial wow factor wears off. Just being able to walk around my Connie Phoenix got old real fast. For that reason, I'm thankful the Carrack isn't hanger ready. At least with the Connie, it'll be usable relatively soon. The Carrack on the other hand would be tempting me for ages.

I am rather looking forward to them having the Karthu-Al functional though. The fully gimballed thrusters, the retrofitted alien interface. Should be interesting to contrast it to the current human ships.
but i wanna walk around in my bantu and make pew-pew noises now. *folds arms and pouts* :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom