• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

need a bit advise gaf, i'm thinking about melting my M50 for an Xi’An Karthu-Al, but i'm really unsure and wondered what you peeps think i should do.?

Other than the fact that the Karthu-Al might be decent for racing, and M50 might be decent for something other than racing... kind of an apples to oranges comparison. One's a solo ship, the other a two seater. One's predominantly a racer, the other a light fighter. One is hanger ready and flyable, the other is neither. It really depends what you're trying to do in the game and what bases you already have covered.

I'm assuming you don't have a 350R, or this wouldn't be a hard decision (scrap the M50). Basically it comes down to how much racing matters to you. If it's very important, then you're probably better off keeping the M50. If only due to the shape being more likely to go through the rings without knocking chunks of the ship off. That and the dual power plants might come in handy.

If, on the other hand, racing isn't a huge focus for you, then the Karthu-Al is likely the better choice. Co-pilot capable, radically different engine layout, more powerful shields, and likely a more potent armament. That and it just looks damn cool. I mean the M50 looks nice, but the Karthu-Al's organic shape and transformative nature are on a different level IMO.

My advice: scrap the M50 for the Karthu-Al and get the $30 325A to M50 CCU upgrade if you're feeling the need to keep the M50 option open. Can always scrap the Karthu-Al later if you don't like it and apply the funds to get the 325A and then apply the CCU to get the M50 back. If you end up not missing the M50, then you can scrap the CCU for something else.

Shy

here's the official Persistent Universe Townhall Presentation enjoy.
My advice: scrap the M50 for the Karthu-Al and get the $30 325A to M50 CCU upgrade if you're feeling the need to keep the M50 option open. Can always scrap the Karthu-Al later if you don't like it and apply the funds to get the 325A and then apply the CCU to get the M50 back. If you end up not missing the M50, then you can scrap the CCU for something else.
that's a really crafty plan, i like you.

Is there any way to melt one ship in a package while keeping the rest of the package? For example I only have one package which contains alpha, but it has an M50 which I want to change.

Zalusithix

Is there any way to melt one ship in a package while keeping the rest of the package? For example I only have one package which contains alpha, but it has an M50 which I want to change.

I'm fairly certain that packages are an all or nothing affair. After all, the package came as a set value that gets refunded back to you. Pulling one part of a package out for credit would create quite the mess of setting values for every individual part. Best you could do if you didn't want to lose the package contents would be applying a CCU to the ship, but that would only let you have either the Hornet or the Cutlass.

Zalusithix

It's just...so damn beautiful. It blows my mind that CIG is considered an Indie Studio when they develop shit like this.

Indie only in the sense that they're independent. They've got a lot of people working on the game, and have a budget that is more than most AAA games. There's no technical reason to expect any less from them than there is from big publisher backed devs working on AAA games. Rather, their freedom from publishers while still having a boat load of money to invest into the game is a reason to expect more from them.

Zabojnik

Watched all three panels. The amount of stuff happening and systems being put into place is pretty fucking staggering. It kinda makes me feel like an asshole for saying that I only really care about the single player side of SC, loool.

2015 should be an absolutely amazing year for the development of this beautiful thing.

Zalusithix

I've just started, but damn so many information already.

They will be using TressFX for hair and actually they will be improving it!

--bump :)

Improving it by making it more efficient, or making it look better and punish our PCs even more? ;)

(I really need to get around to watching these tonight.)

Xyber

I've just started, but damn so many information already.

They will be using TressFX for hair and actually they will be improving it!

--bump :)

My nvidia card am cry. ;_;

I'm guessing they won't force it on anyone and at least make it optional. While I think we need better hair in games, I'm not ready to sacrifice that much performance for it yet.

KKRT00

Improving it by making it more efficient, or making it look better and punish our PCs even more? ;)

(I really need to get around to watching these tonight.)

It will probably cost more performance, but it will be looking better.
They are improving whole technology to work really well and be realistic from what they said.

-

I'm guessing they won't force it on anyone and at least make it optional. While I think we need better hair in games, I'm not ready to sacrifice that much performance for it yet.
Pretty sure it will be required.

People really need to understand that this game is being made for Pascal like cards, not current generation of GPUs :)

Daedardus

Don't worry, it won't have any trouble handling all those bald space marines.

Zalusithix

People really need to understand that this game is being made for Pascal like cards, not current generation of GPUs :)

I can't wait to see what the die shrink to 16nm has in store for us in regards to GPUs. My 590 is quite pathetic compared to today's cards, but I refuse to upgrade until we get the real next gen cards. 970/80 be damned.

Shy

When this game is released the Titan will be more than 3 years old. It would be disappointing if that would be enough to run it on max.
yeah, i guess. thing is though the only reason i was able to build the rig i got now was with money i got from an inheritance.
when the game comes out, i won't have any money to buy the new god-tier card that is out at the time.

KKRT00

yeah, i guess. thing is though the only reason i was able to build the rig i got now was with money i got from an inheritance.
when the game comes out, i won't have any money to buy the new god-tier card that is out at the time.

Sell titan, buy gtx 970, in 1.5 year buy Pascal card and sell gtx 970.
Problem solved and i'm pretty sure You will still have some money left.

Zalusithix

Don't buy god-tier cards is the simple way around that. The relative power to cost ratio is anything but linear. By the time the game comes out, a midrange card will very likely demolish the Titan anyhow.

DrBo42

Are there any good text recaps of the panels? I've always had a hard time with watching long videos.

Doesn't help that the speakers aren't particularly skilled at that task, with the slight exception of Roberts. It's definitely a task to get through these.

Shy

SON OF A BITCH.
they've updated the limited sale, and now they're selling the fucking carrack. AND I GOT NO MONEY. :(

Zalusithix

I could probably run from ship to ship in the hanger and use the interact key with the ship parts just as fast (if such a thing was possible).
05__Ship_Attach2.jpg

I guess I will be running from ship to ship in the hanger. ;)

Daedardus

Man, the MobiGlas stuff sounds so good if they can pull it all off. Like the fact that there will be lots of different models with different upgrades.

While reading the mobiglas post i legitimately thought about building myself a flight chair with a built tablet to control the mobiglas interface without touching the mouse. Yep... this game is a monster.

A glorious monster.

Zabojnik

What did I just read, haha. They truly are going all fucking out on everything. Brilliant stuff, although I imagine it's something that'll take a lot of tweaking. They seem confident they'll be able to pull it off and after reading the design post I am as well.

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-At-32639-PM.png

Soon. Ish.

KKRT00

While reading the mobiglas post i legitimately thought about building myself a flight chair with a built tablet to control the mobiglas interface without touching the mouse. Yep... this game is a monster.

A glorious monster.

Yeah, this game will shake industry no doubt.
In recent 10 for the chairman Chris said he is scared, because he is no longer making one AAA game, but around 5-6 of them at once and i agree with him :) But damn, thats how it was in the past, like Daggerfall was the biggest game ever and people were complaining that it was taking 2.5 year to make xD

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
did anyone pick up anything in this most recent sale. ?

I took a good look at the Carrack. If I was just finding out about the game now, that's what I would have gone with. Such a cool cockpit design.
dsLGFZo.jpg

I have a Constellation Phoenix LTI package though, so that's pretty much locked in for all the collector's edition style goodies. Seems like it's about as good as it'll get for me for the price. I'll work up to other ships from there. Seems like people have pretty high expectations for it as a combat ship too.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2nr8a8/aquila_and_phoenix_owners_how_do_you_feel_about/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom