• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

I took a good look at the Carrack. If I was just finding out about the game now, that's what I would have gone with. Such a cool cockpit design.
dsLGFZo.jpg

I have a Constellation Phoenix LTI package though, so that's pretty much locked in for all the collector's edition style goodies. Seems like it's about as good as it'll get for me for the price. I'll work up to other ships from there. Seems like people have pretty high expectations for it as a combat ship too.
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2nr8a8/aquila_and_phoenix_owners_how_do_you_feel_about/
i REALLY wanted the carrack too.but i just brought the bantu, and now i'm completely brass. lol.

i've got a phoenix as well, but it's not LTI.
i'm really looking forward to those goodies too. :D
I upped my Aurora MR to a Mustang Beta

Leveled up my omega to delta package, now just waiting on gladius ccu upgrade from that
nice pick up guys.
I'm on a spending freeze for a loooong time.
i completely understand. lol

Thrustmaster HOTAS X configuration anyone? I haven't played Arena Commander module in ages and now I've got my Joystick I need to get a good key binding going on!

SmartBase

Don't suppose anyone knows where to find a good configuration for a CH HOTAS? Scrolling through the menus with a mouse doesn't work so it's a bit of a pain mapping each function and alternative function to all the buttons.

Shy

I said the same thing when springed for a $125 Colonel package during the kickstarter. 2 years and 4 months later, I have Concierge status. :-(
don't feel too bad, i've almost got it myself. and i started in august 2013. lol

Zalusithix

I said the same thing when springed for a $125 Colonel package during the kickstarter. 2 years and 4 months later, I have Concierge status. :-(

The larger ships will do that quite quickly... I'm less than a year committed and have passed the point of Concierge.

I know it doesn't make any financial sense, and I know the game has a snowball's chance in hell of living up to all the hype surrounding it. Still, this is kind of my last hope for gaming to truly wow me. Wing Commander was one of the first games I played on a PC as a kid, and certainly the one that impressed me the most back then. It was one of the things that contributed to my love of computers and technology in general.

Since then, however, the number of times I've been left with that sense of amazement in games has gradually dwindled to nothing. I can still (and do) enjoy them, but they simply don't have the same impact that they used to. That's part due to publishers playing it safe and not funding things with any real risk, and part due to time and knowledge making me jaded.

Star Citizen is the first game in a long time that seemingly has both limitless ambition and enough funds to give that ambition a decent shot on coming to fruition. If they pull it off... Hell, if they pull off even half of what they're aiming for, it'll be worth it. If they don't, I'll just accept that the dream is dead and I probably wont ever see a game that kindles those feelings in me again. After all, a publisher will never take a risk on something this ambitious, and crowdfunding follows the once bitten twice shy mentality. I'll be a costly experience, sure, but at least I wont be left wondering about what could have been.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
The Dogfighting module alone was worth the price of admission for me. I'm having a hell of a fun time in that thing. The FPS module looks like it'll be alot more fun.

I'm halfway to Concierge. Not sure if I'm proud of that or not haha.

Does anyone know if the weapons you can buy in the Voyager Direct store actually work in the Dogfighting module?

Burny

Wing Commander was one of the first games I played on a PC as a kid, and certainly the one that impressed me the most back then.

I'm in a quiet similar situation. Had to cheat (ship damage disabled) through Wing Commander 3 in order to manage the missions as a child. Although I'd claim that I haven't become jaded since, after Wing Commander 3 and later Ocarina of Time, hardly any games have left a similarily deep impression. Star Citizen will probably not be able to do that either. Even then, just the fact that they are trying to combine so many game elements/mechanics and put so much effort in the ship and world design, is rewarding enough in itself.

I'm not even halfway to "concierge" status myself but have still "backed" them with more money than I'd care to admit. At least Star Citizen and Elite were a good impulse to finally invest in a decent Sim setup that I'd have liked to have for years now - which in itself cost more than I spend on backing. X52 Pro, TrackIR 5, and a Logitech G27. :) It will cost even more, because I'll now have to find or construct something to quickly mount all the hardware in front of the TV and to quickly pack it up again.

Sooo, uhh after messing about in the drone sim section I try the multiplayer part. And after searching for a match and finding one, I either get stuck on the loading screen or it jumps me back to the lobby :/

EDIT: Ok got it working. Set the client as admin.

Burny

I'm hoping CIG follows Frontier's lead when it comes to controllers. I like Elite's mapping interface.

The available options in Elite are well implemented. It would really benefit from putting them in tabs instead of a long(-ass) list though. Showing a diagram of the controllers would be helpful as well.

The Gladiator seems to be their go to for showing off the fast travel systems.

Both it and the galdius have ridiculous attention to detail and material quality. Also, I think the SQ42 guys are doing a lot of the graphics and effects work for the game. Hence.

Geist-

Here's this week's Around the Verse (official star citizen weekly web show) interview with Rob Irving, in case any of you guys want to get an idea of the guy who's pretty much in charge of taking all the separate modules and turning them into a coherent, playable state. He has Star Citizen's future in his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4v7BHAqDuw#t=915

KKRT00

Monthly report tomorrow good! We'll get report from new Germany based studio probably :)
Bad i wont be able to read it tomorrow :p

luiztfc

Hey guys. I remember there was a way to check all ships in game (even if you didn't buy them). Is it still possible? I only have a freelancer and since I bought a GTX 970, I have been meaning to try other ships.

Shy

Hey guys. I remember there was a way to check all ships in game (even if you didn't buy them). Is it still possible? I only have a freelancer and since I bought a GTX 970, I have been meaning to try other ships.
no, not that i know of. but sometimes they have a trial weekend that lets try other ships.

Burny

WOW. Its amazing what people can do in SDK with those assets.
If You would show this in console thread, people would thought its a legitimate game.

That's what free availability of professional assets and availability of SDKs will do for you. Could just as well be a legimate PC game. Overall some good fan work there. It's cheesey as hell though. :p

Edit:

That's the promised one year reward for one of the subscriptions if I remember correctly. Once a month, for 24h, fly every ship available in the dogfighting alpha. It's not yet implemented though.

Hay, look at this thing from Subnautica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgAh5FTcF-E

You don't often see vehicles like this in games and Star Citizen is the first thing I thought of, what with the multiple decks, hull breaches and the way you can dock a smaller ship inside.

Sold! Seriously though that game will likely scare the crap out of me since I hate water at ocean depths. If I go into Cardiac Arrest this weekend I'm blaming you! :p

By the way, anyone noticed that in this weeks ATV they were very careful in their wording when talking about the FPS module? Kinda making it sound like the release date is being pushed back even though Crash Roberts was throwing out dates again just about a week ago.

Zabojnik

By the way, anyone noticed that in this weeks ATV they were very careful in their wording when talking about the FPS module? Kinda making it sound like the release date is being pushed back even though Crash Roberts was throwing out dates again just about a week ago.

There seems to be a lot of stuff coming down the pipelines from all the studios these days, so it wouldn't surprise me if the FPS module gets pushed back by a month or two to implement some (more) of it. Chris was saying march, Tony march/april ... so I'd say late april / early may is when we have a good chance of getting it.

There seems to be a lot of stuff coming down the pipelines from all the studios these days, so it wouldn't surprise me if the FPS module gets pushed back by a month or two to implement some (more) of it. Chris was saying march, Tony march/april ... so I'd say late april / early may is when we have a good chance of getting it.

Yeah sounds about right. I can't remember if this was the planned order (I think at one point not too long ago FPS was planned first) but it looks a lot like the Planetside module will be next up. Honestly I don't mind the wait at all for new modules, but I do wish they'd take a full revisit to the flight model at some point. I haven't tried with a HOTAS on the latest builds but the section of ATV that shows Sandi learning to fly had me a little concerned noticing they tied the yaw to the stick instead of the roll. I did the same before because honestly it works better with the game right now but I just can't force myself to remember it while playing since it goes against all my flight sim logic.

I know it's old hat but I really do think yaw needs a bit of nerfing if it means rethinking the most basic controls of a stick, but the full throttle charge at new modules seems to have left AC discussion in the dust now.

"Yeah sounds about right. I can't remember if this was the planned order (I think at one point not too long ago FPS was planned first) but it looks a lot like the Planetside module will be next up. Honestly I don't mind the wait at all for new modules, but I do wish they'd take a full revisit to the flight model at some point. I haven't tried with a HOTAS on the latest builds but the section of ATV that shows Sandi learning to fly had me a little concerned noticing they tied the yaw to the stick instead of the roll. I did the same before because honestly it works better with the game right now but I just can't force myself to remember it while playing since it goes against all my flight sim logic.

I know it's old hat but I really do think yaw needs a bit of nerfing if it means rethinking the most basic controls of a stick, but the full throttle charge at new modules seems to have left AC discussion in the dust now."

Couldn't disagree more. Elite already does the roll emphasis. I would definitely rather SC stay in line with other space sims where yaw is more useful than roll.

Couldn't disagree more. Elite already does the roll emphasis. I would definitely rather SC stay in line with other space sims where yaw is more useful than roll.

Oh yeah definitely don't think it should be quite on the level of Elite. I guess it just feels weird on a HOTAS to me since twist yaw feels really sensitive and easy to overshoot, but switching it to twist roll always results in me getting super confused and smashing into everything in sight. I probably just need to get used to a setup I feel comfortable with but I haven't found one that works well for me yet on HOTAS, and at the same time I don't want to swap out for a gamepad or mouse even though I'm much better with both right now.

I totally get why yaw is so useful and why they went the way they did with it, it's just proving to be very hard to get used to with my preferred controller setup to the point of actively deterring me from taking part regularly (I also don't like how that comes out as it sounds one sided and selfish, but it's my honest opinion). I should probably boot it up and take another swing at it though since I haven't had a chance to test AC1.0 yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom