• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah definitely don't think it should be quite on the level of Elite. I guess it just feels weird on a HOTAS to me since twist yaw feels really sensitive and easy to overshoot, but switching it to twist roll always results in me getting super confused and smashing into everything in sight. I probably just need to get used to a setup I feel comfortable with but I haven't found one that works well for me yet on HOTAS, and at the same time I don't want to swap out for a gamepad or mouse even though I'm much better with both right now.

I totally get why yaw is so useful and why they went the way they did with it, it's just proving to be very hard to get used to with my preferred controller setup to the point of actively deterring me from taking part regularly (I also don't like how that comes out as it sounds one sided and selfish, but it's my honest opinion). I should probably boot it up and take another swing at it though since I haven't had a chance to test AC1.0 yet.

I know this isn't *really* your issue, but you could try binding yaw and roll to the same axis, while keeping roll on the twist too for adjustments when necessary. I really like the "feel" of that movement, very similar to how the X-Wing/FreeSpace games worked.

I know this isn't *really* your issue, but you could try binding yaw and roll to the same axis, while keeping roll on the twist too for adjustments when necessary. I really like the "feel" of that movement, very similar to how the X-Wing/FreeSpace games worked.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm about to boot it up and try a whole bunch of different settings and see if I can find something I like the feel of.

DrBo42

Is there a config setup that'll let me run this game with decent FPS? Setting it at 720p with Low graphics on my 650m is just not cutting it...even in the hangar. Is the game really that unoptimized at the moment?

Corine

Is there a config setup that'll let me run this game with decent FPS? Setting it at 720p with Low graphics on my 650m is just not cutting it...even in the hangar. Is the game really that unoptimized at the moment?

Sorry to tell you this, but it's your gpu. Game is being made for high end desktops, and you have a low end laptop gpu. Even after all of there optimizations are done I'm afraid you'll be out of luck more than likely.

DrBo42

Sorry to tell you this, but it's your gpu. Game is being made for high end desktops, and you have a low end laptop gpu. Even after all of there optimizations are done I'm afraid you'll be out of luck more than likely.

Don't make me cry on the weekend.

KKRT00

Game doesnt even have half of the features included ;p You need to change gpu for it :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Well the game is still being built, so very few optimizations have been done. But as others said, it's not being built to run on 650ms. People have lowish framerates using newer desktop nVidias even. It's an intentionally very graphic-intensive game, so you're going to need to get a new computer to play this, basically.

Geist-

Well the game is still being built, so very few optimizations have been done. But as others said, it's not being built to run on 650ms. People have lowish framerates using newer desktop nVidias even. It's an intentionally very graphic-intensive game, so you're going to need to get a new computer to play this, basically.
Yep, during the beginning of the campaign, CIG even said that high end computers at the time would become their minimum/recommended requirements around launch. They're creating the game with the expectation that computer power is, as always, getting both more powerful and easier to afford.

Blizzard

Banned
I just saw Jupiter Ascending. While the story and acting were meh, as expected, it was basically 2 hours of awesome science fiction concept art brought to life. The ships and travel and such reminded me of Star Citizen. For anyone who loves that sort of spectacle in the game, you might enjoy the movie.

Tommyhawk

I just saw Jupiter Ascending. While the story and acting were meh, as expected, it was basically 2 hours of awesome science fiction concept art brought to life. The ships and travel and such reminded me of Star Citizen. For anyone who loves that sort of spectacle in the game, you might enjoy the movie.

That's because the guy who designed the ships in the movie also designed a SC ship (the Relaimer).

http://www.ghull.com/

Completely off topic but I figured there might be some people here who would know.

Anyone have advice for getting a Warthog to work properly in Freespace 2? Combined the throttle and joystick via target to create a virtual controller to get around the one controller limit but as for bindings I have no idea.

Geist-

Concept Art for the Vanduul Kingship:

lqYagCF.jpg

And gallery.

Kabouter

So question, how will upgrading ships work exactly? For instance, I have a Freelancer, would I be able to upgrade that to have more cargo space in the persistent universe (as in, upgrade it to a Freelancer MAX or whatever it's called), or would I only be able to change its hardpoints/upgrade slots?

So question, how will upgrading ships work exactly? For instance, I have a Freelancer, would I be able to upgrade that to have more cargo space in the persistent universe (as in, upgrade it to a Freelancer MAX or whatever it's called), or would I only be able to change its hardpoints/upgrade slots?

You will be able to do both. The ship modularity system will also allow ship of that size to have quite a bit of customizability concerning their internal rooms and features.

Kabouter

You will be able to do both. The ship modularity system will also allow ship of that size to have quite a bit of customizability concerning their internal rooms and features.

Excellent, then I won't have to pledge more to start with the larger cargo capacity, it'll be much more fun if I can build my ship to become better slowly over time.

Zabojnik

Robert's VB interview said:
After Gamescom and onward, we did Citizen Con in November. By the end of the year we were at something like $35 million. At that point we said, “All right, we can see a trajectory.” Then we started to scope and scale up. 2014 was building up the infrastructure. It takes time. We have a fair number of people now, but you can’t just say, “I need 300 people who are instantly effective. Let’s go.”

To this day it still baffles me how many people don't seem to grap this, even after you explain it to them.

Robert's VB interview said:
At the end of October, Quadrant 42 is coming out for the backers.

Quadrant 42, brilliant lapse (or autocorrect). I'm kinda shocked at how early that is for S42, actually. They must be doing really, really good progress. Of course I don't believe for a second it's coming out before Q1 2016, but to see Roberts so confident about the release date now, after they've been criticized for being way too optimistic about their release schedule and have consequently more or less avoided talking about specific dates ... Well, this is good news indeed.

Excellent, then I won't have to pledge more to start with the larger cargo capacity, it'll be much more fun if I can build my ship to become better slowly over time.

I am always curious about how multicrew ships will pay members of the crew. If it is possible in the PU, you could start out as a soldier on frigate, a merchant on the banu, a waiter on the 890 jump, a soldier on an idris/Javalin, then make enough money to purchase your own ship.

I have multi size ships for exploration and I wonder if I will simply make money faster off the bat because I have larger ships, and I wonder why I felt the need to purchase more than one.

Actually on second thought, the freelancer dur, the constellation Aquilla and the carrack all look sexy to me and I have a problem with choice and a hopeless love for sci and space sims. I'll regret it later I guess.

Quadrant 42, brilliant lapse (or autocorrect). I'm kinda shocked at how early that is for S42, actually. They must be doing really, really good progress. Of course I don't believe for a second it's coming out before Q1 2016, but to see Roberts so confident about the release date now, after they've been criticized for being way too optimistic about their release schedule and have consequently more or less avoided talking about specific dates ... Well, this is good news indeed.

Keep in mind it's only the first episode of S42, 10 missions/10 hours-ish (I don't remember the exact numbers but it's something around that),

Geist-

Actually, no, you won't be able to upgrade the cargo because that's directly tied to the hull of the ship, which is cannot be changed. AFAIK from what the devs have said, Modularity applies to hardpoints, upgrade slots, and interior modules (for example, you can replace some or all of your cargo capacity with a med bay, or a Command/Control center).

It's healthy to be skeptical of a release schedule, but they said themselves that the farther along they get, the more accurate the predictions.

But even besides that, what do they really need for the first part of a 5 part campaign? They probably need to integrate the FPS and Planetside into the game, which is coming next month or April. They said that the game will start out on an Idris, which Foundry 42 wants to release around AC 2.0. They already have a working enemy AI in the form of Vanduul Swarm. And finally they need to record voice actors and create cinematics.

Far fewer technical difficulties there than the Persistent Universe, so I can personally believe it when they say they want to release it by the end of the year.

Kabouter

Actually, no, you won't be able to upgrade the cargo because that's directly tied to the hull of the ship, which is cannot be changed. AFAIK from what the devs have said, Modularity applies to hardpoints, upgrade slots, and interior modules (for example, you can replace some or all of your cargo capacity with a med bay, or a Command/Control center).
Hmm, that is unfortunate. Guess I'll need to grab the MAX now then.

KKRT00

To this day it still baffles me how many people don't seem to grap this, even after you explain it to them.

Yeah, this seems extremely confident. I've personally accepted Q1 2016 too, but if not, then well, it will be amazing, because we'll get trailer of vertical slice of S42 much, much sooner, like in 2 months probably.

--
Werent they talking recently about new modular system that will allow such modification? System that they are researching for bigger ships, but will also apply for smaller eventually?

Burny

Werent they talking recently about new modular system that will allow such modification? System that they are researching for bigger ships, but will also apply for smaller eventually?

Probably won't apply to the Freelancer unless they redesing it. If you compare the models, you'll see that the Max has a much wider hull than the other variants.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hmm, that is unfortunate. Guess I'll need to grab the MAX now then.

I imagine that, in the game, you'll be able to trade in your regular Freelancer for a Freelance MAX model and pay the difference in UEC. I'm sure that buying a Freelancer MAX with real money isn't the only way.

Geist-

Ya, ship modularity is coming to all ships eventually, but the first ships will be the Cutlass, Avenger, Retaliator, and Redeemer.

Despite that though, they've said a few times that that won't apply to actually changing the hull of the ship and you can't expand cargo without doing that. When they mentioned expanding cargo as a modularity option, they were talking about taking out the holding cells of a bounty hunter ship to make a cargo run.

I imagine that, in the game, you'll be able to trade in your regular Freelancer for a Freelance MAX model and pay the difference in UEC. I'm sure that buying a Freelancer MAX with real money isn't the only way.
Definitely true, by far the best option unless you are upgrading from an LTI Freelancer or package.

Btw guys, they're releasing a design doc today about their new AC Bucks system, which allows players to buy weapons and (maybe) ships for Arena Commander only (doesn't carry over to PU).

IIRC the Avenger variants will use this system and they are reworking the Cutlass variants with this too.

Zabojnik

Keep in mind it's only the first episode of S42, 10 missions/10 hours-ish (I don't remember the exact numbers but it's something around that),

I know, but even if they leave the more 'advanced' missions for the later parts, you still have to have most of the basic functionality / systems. Of which there are quite a few.

It's healthy to be skeptical of a release schedule, but they said themselves that the farther along they get, the more accurate the predictions.

But even besides that, what do they really need for the first part of a 5 part campaign? They probably need to integrate the FPS and Planetside into the game, which is coming next month or April. They said that the game will start out on an Idris, which Foundry 42 wants to release around AC 2.0. They already have a working enemy AI in the form of Vanduul Swarm. And finally they need to record voice actors and create cinematics.

Right, but none of those components is anywhere near being feature-complete and putting them together and make them gel is going to take time. End of October sounds overly optimistic to me, but then again ... development is running at full throtle now, so maybe ... We'll probably get a better idea after SXSW and whatever else is down the line. Looking forward to those reveals. :D

Yeah, this seems extremely confident. I've personally accepted Q1 2016 too, but if not, then well, it will be amazing, because we'll get trailer of vertical slice of S42 much, much sooner, like in 2 months probably.

The guys over at Foundry 42 must be eager to show what they've been working on. Everything that's come out of their lair so far has been nothing short of stellar.

Geist-

Design document for CIG's current plan to let people rent equipment and ships in Arena Commander.

All rented equipment is rented for one week of real time use – guaranteeing that you always get at least a little bit of time with the ship. Ships and weapons cost 10% of their UEC price, rounded up. Once an item has been rented, it can be renewed for another week at a 20% discount. Renewals can only be bought a week in advance. (Remaining rental time is visible in your RSI account and within the Sim-Pod HoloTable)

Examples:
9-series Longsword: 4,000 UEC; 400 REC. (320 REC renewal)
M4A Laser Cannon: 8,000 UEC; 800 REC. (640 REC renewal)
Hornet F7C: 140,000 UEC; 14,000 REC. (11,200 REC renewal)
Redeemer: 250,000 UEC; 25,000 REC. (20,000 REC renewal)

And a reddit post detailing predicted REC costs and unlock times.

Chris Roberts also later clarified that rentals are used on a login basis eg login, you use up 1 day of rental time. Login 7 days in a row, you used up your rental, login 7 times over a month, still only paid for 1 week.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Chris Roberts also later clarified that rentals are used on a login basis eg login, you use up 1 day of rental time. Login 7 days in a row, you used up your rental, login 7 times over a month, still only paid for 1 week.

This is a really good decision. Much more fair for people with different life circumstances.

I saw that the SC forums had a firestorm over the REC system (when don't they, though?) but I think it sounds pretty good. Makes sense and seems fair. I can't wait for it to be implemented (so my Avenger can actually kill something in a decent amount of time).

My Mustang Beta still cannot mount wing size 1 type 1 weapons correctly :(

They can fire for about 10 shots until they run out of energy and power due to not bering correctly connected to the heat pipe system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom