• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: On an unrelated note, when the 'Tali goes up for sale again, great restraint on my end is going to be needed. I love the way the ship looks, but I have absolutely no interest in bombing runs. Especially bombing runs against ships large enough to need a 'Tali. It'd be one thing if it could be retrofitted to be a kick ass transport, but it's pretty low yield on that front. Not much cargo room even with the torpedoes being sacrificed.

Agreed. I only wanted an exploration fleet but man does that ship look amazing.

I have the Mustang Beta, this despite also having the Freelancer DUR that I can't fly yet. The Mustang Beta is the "Explorer" variant and comes with a jump drive and very nice living quarters in the back... something the other Mustangs do not have. I also really like the amazing visibility you get sitting in the cockpit, and it makes for a solid starter explorer package. I've only had the Beta for about a month now, but it's a fun little ship to drive, and even with the DUR I can see me hanging on the Beta just because the first impressions have been so positive.

Check out this walkthrough video of the Beta, as it's a great little ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_6VEjQvxY

Wow, I thought I was done with my fleet but I might add a beta to the lineup.

Odah

Banned
Just tried out the racing module on Rikkord Memorial.

Despite only having 23-30 fps I managed to get used to it with my best lap at 3:29.

Ship I used was an Aurora LN :D

commedieu

Banned
Stupid question time.

1. Do you have avatars that walk around the ship, then you lock to "cockpit view" to play..? I notice in videos you can navigate inside of ships with a seeming free-camera..? Like in the back cargo area, etc.
2. Can you go to planets..?
3. Is the scale huge on the different levels you choose to load? Or is it one huge universe and you fly to your locations?

This looks friggen great, was eying that other one... that starts with an E.. can't remember. Oh, elite dangerous.

What are the differences between the two? The awesome ones.

Thanks!

Odah

Banned
Stupid question time.

1. Do you have avatars that walk around the ship, then you lock to "cockpit view" to play..?
3. Is the scale huge on the different levels you choose to load? Or is it one huge universe and you fly to your locations?

This looks friggen great, was eying that other one... that starts with an E.. can't remember. Oh, elite dangerous.

Thanks!

well the first difference would be that Star Citizen's graphics are on par with Ryse/Cryis 3 if not better.

The second difference would be that one (E:D) is a complete game (?) and the other is maybe finished to like 5-10% lol

Stupid question time.

1. Do you have avatars that walk around the ship, then you lock to "cockpit view" to play..? I notice in videos you can navigate inside of ships with a seeming free-camera..? Like in the back cargo area, etc.

Thanks!

1) Yes, you can freely walk around. You're not locked to your cockpit like in Elite Dangerous currently. If you're a co-pilot in a ship, you can freely jump out of your chair, run back to engineering to help out, or go jump in a turret to defend a ship.
2) Yes, you can land on planets at certain landing zones. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xvCg8CI9U
3) One universe, and you fly between all of the locations. Obviously levels are streaming in/out seamlessly in the background, but to a player it feels like one universe. Just like Elite Dangerous.

Zalusithix

Stupid question time.

Thanks!
1) Yes, you can move around ships that are large enough to support it. When you activate a seat your body gets locked to the seat and your vision is just your head looking around from that perspective. Activate the seat again and you're back to walking around. This way you can fly, hop out, hop into a turret seat, hop out of that, EVA out of the ship, etc.

2) Some planets, yes. This isn't in game yet.

3) One huge universe that you navigate between sections. This also isn't in game yet.

Edit: And beaten to the punch

lel.png

Bravo servers.
Just saying I figured out how to get it

commedieu

Banned
1) Yes, you can move around ships that are large enough to support it. When you activate a seat your body gets locked to the seat and your vision is just your head looking around from that perspective. Activate the seat again and you're back to walking around. This way you can fly, hop out, hop into a turret seat, hop out of that, EVA out of the ship, etc.

2) Some planets, yes. This isn't in game yet.

3) One huge universe that you navigate between sections. This also isn't in game yet.

Edit: And beaten to the punch

1) Yes, you can freely walk around. You're not locked to your cockpit like in Elite Dangerous currently. If you're a co-pilot in a ship, you can freely jump out of your chair, run back to engineering to help out, or go jump in a turret to defend a ship.
2) Yes, you can land on planets at certain landing zones. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-xvCg8CI9U
3) One universe, and you fly between all of the locations. Obviously levels are streaming in/out seamlessly in the background, but to a player it feels like one universe. Just like Elite Dangerous.

well the first difference would be that Star Citizen's graphics are on par with Ryse/Cryis 3 if not better.

The second difference would be that one (E:D) is a complete game (?) and the other is maybe finished to like 5-10% lol

I really like the new character face. Shows off some nice detail.

It is also interesting to know that this isnt the final level of fidelity... 3Lateral only just recorded the most recenter higher res stuff :D

:D

Sweet feathery jesus. Its the Xwing vs Tie Fighter game I always wanted... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait, but will have to. Thanks!

Odah

Banned
^ Just a reminder, I'm currently playing on Very High settings at 1920x1080 with around >30fps

I have a GTX780, i7 4770k and 16gb ram 1333mhz

that game is demanding

Zalusithix

If my rig could do it, I would. But I am still waiting for a GPU with a power level I am happy with. Even Titan X doesnt seem to be enough... and I am done with SLI for my future in the mean time.

What, you don't enjoy having SLI rendering issues on top of general engine bugs? The only reason I'm even contemplating SLI for a future build is SLI per eye based VR. Outside of that, it's just not worth it. When it works flawlessly it's great, but the amount of time that SLI works flawlessly is... less than ideal.

As for the Titan X, it's not worth it unless you have spare money burning a hole in your pocket. Better off waiting for the die shrink and real performance improvements.

Daedardus

^ Just a reminder, I'm currently playing on Very High settings at 1920x1080 with around >30fps

I have a GTX780, i7 4770k and 16gb ram 1333mhz

that game is demanding

Weird, I have similar specs and seem to be getting 60 fps at 1080p Very High.

Weird, I have similar specs and seem to be getting 60 fps at 1080p Very High.

What is your rig btw?
What, you don't enjoy having SLI rendering issues on top of general engine bugs? The only reason I'm even contemplating SLI for a future build is SLI per eye based VR. Outside of that, it's just not worth it. When it works flawlessly it's great, but the amount of time that SLI works flawlessly is... less than ideal.

As for the Titan X, it's not worth it unless you have spare money burning a hole in your pocket. Better off waiting for the die shrink and real performance improvements.

I have been using SLI for about a decade... nd I am finally done with it... unless VR is where I end up doing most of my gaming. And yes, I probably will wait for the die shrink.

Zabojnik

I did not know Rob Irving left!

Neither did I, although I had a feeling he would after that last interview. Not that he gave anything away, just a hunch after so many Austin originals left already. We may never know what actually happened there, but I guess a shakeup needed to happen. It sucks seeing people you've followed for so long go, but that's game development for you. They've been replaced by some pretty big names, so ... whatever, I guess. Keep on truckin', CIG.

epmode

Sweet feathery jesus. Its the Xwing vs Tie Fighter game I always wanted... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the stuff people just told you is promised but not implemented. For example, multicrew ships aren't flyable yet. Here's hoping everything turns out well.

Also, the universe isn't planned to be anywhere near the scale as Elite. When the game actually launches, there are supposed to be around 100 star systems, most with a few interesting locations. That's a lot of content but nowhere near the millions (billions?) of stars in Elite.

The difference is that each location will be given special attention to make it feel unique and not a product of procedural generation. ..the procedurarlly generated worlds will supposedly come later.

Zalusithix

Descent: Underground kickstarter is up, in case anyone's interested.

Nice to see some old SC faces ... Godspeed Wingman, Michael Morlan and Rob Irving (I'm guessing he left as well).

I question both the target goal and the delivery window. Asking $600k seems a bit too low for a "AAA" game without a pub or VC throwing additional funds at it. This is even more the case when they're claiming SC level community interaction during production. Likewise the one year turn around seems rather... optimistic to say the least. There's also ships listed for pledges that only apply if stretch goals are hit. This is fine, but the goals themselves aren't listed so you can't even get a feel for where they really want to be funding wise. Too many caution signals for me to back as is.

Irobot82

OK so what happened. Star Citizen get too big for those guys to handle? CIG really is a bad place to work? I wonder what happened.

OK so what happened. Star Citizen get too big for those guys to handle? CIG really is a bad place to work? I wonder what happened.

Wingman was asked to move to California, he said he wanted to keep his family in the same place, so he left CIG.

Then Rob irving took over... and then no one knows what happened there. Maybe he wanted to work on something else? Hard to speculate.

iirc, they moved main studios to los angeles, those that did not want to or could not move stayed in austin. The decent team seems to be based in austin. It's good so they don't have to move and have another project to work on.

Zabojnik

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that were the case with some of them. It's probably a combination of things that went down after the development focus of the Austin studio shifted though. It is a known fact that Chris wanted some of the key Austin devs to move to LA. Some of them, like Eric 'Wingman' Peterson, decided not to for personal reasons (families in Austin and such) and consequently left the project.

FAKE EDIT: What the others said, yeah.

MikeDown

Banned
Haven't played this game in a while, getting my but kicked in dogfights has kinda turned me off. Don't really have the patience right now to learn all the stuff and get the skill to be able to compete in the dogfights, hoping that the FPS modual will be more friendly to me.

WillyFive

I heard from an unnamed source that this is free for a week using the code PAXEASTFREEFLY2K15. Now, I don't know anything about this game now. I read a ton about Elite: Dangerous and know all the mechanics of that. But first of all, how the hell does buying stuff in SC work? Does it have microtransactions for ships? What the heck is free and when?

Edit: Now that I've read the OP I still don't understand all the different buying options. This link says "All AC-ready Ships will be available in Fly Free Week" starting on Friday. The OP says AC is essentially the "gameplay" of the game and is EXTREMELY demanding (I have a 280x, 8GB of RAM, and a Core i5 2500 locked. Will I survive? How fugly is low settings? Why is it so demanding? Intentionally unoptimized at this stage?). But it also says to unlock hanger mode I need to spend at least $30. So what do I get permanently for free? I don't have a joystick and can't afford one this month but if I can get some of the game for free I would like to wait until the joystick and play around and see if I like it.

Edit 2: Made an account, I'm at the download screen after entering the promo code...and I need a fucking ship. Well WTF is the point of a free week if if you need to buy a ship on top of the basic game which normally costs you as well? This is a ripoff.

Open the game, it has a ship in there. Hanger mode is there too.

don't get it why a 970 is a better gpu than a 780, isn't a 970 basically just an upgrade of the 770/870?
It is an upgrade to a different architecture. Maxwell in comparison to Kepler (Gk110 Kepler), and Maxwell is much better at doing compute shaders, and Cryengine by default, takes great advantage of compute shaders. SC even more so.

Odah

Banned
It is an upgrade to a different architecture. Maxwell in comparison to Kepler (Gk110 Kepler), and Maxwell is much better at doing compute shaders, and Cryengine by default, takes great advantage of compute shaders. SC even more so.

Dayum. I paid 600€ for that thing ;_;

Dayum. I paid 600€ for that thing ;_;

Unfortunately the nature of the beast when it comes to PC hardware. Although... one could have pointed out upon the 780s release that it was a stop gap card of sorts.

Not to fear! Your card should still do quite well in the game in comparison to people who have something like a 680 or 770.

Odah

Banned
Unfortunately the nature of the beast when it comes to PC hardware. Although... one could have pointed out upon the 780s release that it was a stop gap card of sorts.

Not to fear! Your card should still do quite well in the game in comparison to people who have something like a 680 or 770.

yay!

Zabojnik

Do micro delays like these, which are due to testing a release candidate build, ever constitute 'missing a deadline'? I don't think so.

Zalusithix

Eh, I really don't mind them missing a deadline or two if it means CIG employees actually get to see their families once in a while and don't drop dead from exhaustion.

I'm not sure that the delays provide them such luxuries. It'd be great if it were the case, but I can only assume that this is despite crunches to get the features out.

Do micro delays like these, which are due to testing a release candidate build, ever constitute 'missing a deadline'? I don't think so.
Deadline is a strong word. Target times perhaps. At any rate, I think everybody is used it at this point. Nobody should expect things to be out exactly on time, or totally bug free when they do hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom