• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Is it bad if that describes my entire fleet sans a super hornet?

That is why the chairmans talk about using other created characters as crew members sound pretty cool.
not at all.

i've got a phoenix, M50 and a bantu merchantman.

and the next time a carrack goes on sale, i'm gonna get that too.

so no need to feel bad.

Still watching this, the new ship damage looks amazing. and the character animations and model improvements are a large improvement over last years version.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Watching now..

"Electronic Access bought out by Original Systems"

heh.

that Chris Roberts, so cheeky

I liked the ID reference, too, with Star Marine's cover art looking like Doom's, and Admiral Cool being a clear reference to Commander Keen. =)

xNv4qby.jpg

I heard from an unnamed source that this is free for a week using the code PAXEASTFREEFLY2K15. Now, I don't know anything about this game now. I read a ton about Elite: Dangerous and know all the mechanics of that. But first of all, how the hell does buying stuff in SC work? Does it have microtransactions for ships? What the heck is free and when?

Edit: Now that I've read the OP I still don't understand all the different buying options. This link says "All AC-ready Ships will be available in Fly Free Week" starting on Friday. The OP says AC is essentially the "gameplay" of the game and is EXTREMELY demanding (I have a 280x, 8GB of RAM, and a Core i5 2500 locked. Will I survive? How fugly is low settings? Why is it so demanding? Intentionally unoptimized at this stage?). But it also says to unlock hanger mode I need to spend at least $30. So what do I get permanently for free? I don't have a joystick and can't afford one this month but if I can get some of the game for free I would like to wait until the joystick and play around and see if I like it.

Edit 2: Made an account, I'm at the download screen after entering the promo code...and I need a fucking ship. Well WTF is the point of a free week if if you need to buy a ship on top of the basic game which normally costs you as well? This is a ripoff.

Sarcasm

Maybe you should just launch the game.

Even though it said I didn't have a ship there was one in the hanger which I used to kill ai bots.

KKRT00

Edit 2: Made an account, I'm at the download screen after entering the promo code...and I need a fucking ship. Well WTF is the point of a free week if if you need to buy a ship on top of the basic game which normally costs you as well? This is a ripoff.

---
Did we ever get info about what their gdc talk was about?

They were talking about DX 12, damage and volumetric particles, but we still dont have full info about details.
Yeah, i want this presentation so bad :)

Shy

hi chums. sorry this is last minute.
thought i'd post this on here, as it might be of interest of to you guys.
eric "wingman" peterson is making an game that goes up on kickstarter today.

this is a newsletter email which explains it better than i could.
Tomorrow (March 10th), we’re launching a Kickstarter for a re-imagined Descent-styled game with the goal of bringing back six degrees of awesome to pc gaming. You can click this link at noon central standard time to check it out.

http://www.descendentstudios.com/ks

It’s a project I’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of along with an incredible team at Descendent Studios and I wanted to reach out to you as it would mean the world to us to have your support.

Also, we appreciate any assistance you can provide in spreading the word, that would be amazing.

I’ll send along more information as the date moves closer but for now, we have more information up at www.descendentstudios.com and in our forums.

In addition this is the last day to get your Golden Wings Decal and Pioneer medal in the forums, so let everyone know.

Thank you again for your continued support,

Your,

Wingman

"Tomorrow (March 10th), we’re launching a Kickstarter for a re-imagined Descent-styled game with the goal of bringing back six degrees of awesome to pc gaming."

I wonder if this is related to Sol Contingency or if it's just an all new 6DOF shooter.

Edit: It seems it is something different.

Does it have microtransactions for ships? What the heck is free and when?

Well......

Edit: Now that I've read the OP I still don't understand all the different buying options. This link says "All AC-ready Ships will be available in Fly Free Week" starting on Friday

Oh good. so you found it. Maybe that will answer some...

So what do I get permanently for free? I don't have a joystick and can't afford one this month but if I can get some of the game for free I would like to wait until the joystick and play around and see if I like it.

I am going to assume this is a joke.

Odah

Banned
Don't people realize that this game is NOT f2p?

It will be a full priced game like every other one except that on release most of the people will already have it. There will be for sure many more customer's though and I think without this strategy a game like this wouldn't even be possible.

Zalusithix

I heard from an unnamed source that this is free for a week using the code PAXEASTFREEFLY2K15. Now, I don't know anything about this game now. I read a ton about Elite: Dangerous and know all the mechanics of that. But first of all, how the hell does buying stuff in SC work? Does it have microtransactions for ships? What the heck is free and when?

Edit: Now that I've read the OP I still don't understand all the different buying options. This link says "All AC-ready Ships will be available in Fly Free Week" starting on Friday. The OP says AC is essentially the "gameplay" of the game and is EXTREMELY demanding (I have a 280x, 8GB of RAM, and a Core i5 2500 locked. Will I survive? How fugly is low settings? Why is it so demanding? Intentionally unoptimized at this stage?). But it also says to unlock hanger mode I need to spend at least $30. So what do I get permanently for free? I don't have a joystick and can't afford one this month but if I can get some of the game for free I would like to wait until the joystick and play around and see if I like it.

1) The game is designed around the premise of having a powerful computer at the time of launch. Any current GPU isn't going to be able to breeze through the game at high settings - even top of the line ones. Expect the game to heavily utilize DX12 etc in the future.

2)You get nothing for free permanently. SC is an online game and without logging in you get nothing. Once the free fly period is up, your account will be disabled from being able to play. From that point on you'd have to buy a package with beta access to actually do anything in the game before launch. Alternatively you'd buy a non beta access package and not be able to use the account until launch. The game can be played without a joystick anyhow if that's your concern.

And just in case it isn't...

Odah

Banned
Idk about the gpu part. I'm playing it with a 780 and never had any fps issues. But yeah, the game will be more "demanding" further down the road.

Nah, they're going to make you get a 'Tali. Hanger ready and all. ;) Gladius wise, I wish there was a CCU path to it.

If there was, my wallet would have intense.. intense problems.
watching pax east presentation now, god damn that EA diss made me smile

edit: that Inter Dimensional Software joke, heh

edit 2: dayum that zero-G gamemode is a total 1:1 ripoff from Ender's Game, I like it! :D

FYI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdOLG1rmDI Enders Game's "battle room"

The Cover art for the Star Marine game is straight up id. It is awesome.
EDIT: if you get what I mean
marinecommanderozs5p.png

1281468234-00.jpg

3064_front.jpg

doomfordos.jpg

1144791128-00.jpg

Not impressed by the Zero G movement right now. It seems a bit sluggish and it appears to attach to any nearby object you have to be basically staring straight at them which renders it pointless in a fight. I am excited to try combat in gravity however, but for now Zero G seems slow and low on strategy turning into the all out blastfest the AC still currently is. Much more interested in the 8v8 map than the 16v16 map for now.

Zalusithix

Not impressed by the Zero G movement right now. It seems a bit sluggish and it appears to attach to any nearby object you have to be basically staring straight at them which renders it pointless in a fight. I am excited to try combat in gravity however, but for now Zero G seems slow and low on strategy turning into the all out blastfest the AC still currently is. Much more interested in the 8v8 map than the 16v16 map for now.

I expect there to be a lot of iteration on the zero G mechanics. Unlike the standard FPS, there isn't much industry experience with zero G FPS gameplay. Optimizing the experience and finding out what works and what doesn't is going to be rather trial and error. I fully expect the movement to be slower than ground based combat though.

If there was, my wallet would have intense.. intense problems.
Yeah, the lack of a CCU is arguably a good thing for me. It's not like I need a Gladius. I mean, I already have similar ships like the Mustang Delta, the Super Hornet and the Khartu-Al. I'm not exactly lacking in the small fighter department. My next fighter should really be the deep space one.

Well......

Oh good. so you found it. Maybe that will answer some...

So what am I able to fly for free without purchasing a bundle? Can I download and play it without a ship? Can I fly a ship outside of multiplayer? I understand now that it's like Steam's free weekends and time is ticking, but I don't get why it's so obtuse with what you're supposed to buy and what you get.

KKRT00

So what am I able to fly for free without purchasing a bundle? Can I download and play it without a ship? Can I fly a ship outside of multiplayer? I understand now that it's like Steam's free weekends and time is ticking, but I don't get why it's so obtuse with what you're supposed to buy and what you get.

Its not, just launch the game.

"It's different.. but somewhat related."

Now that it's been announced and the kickstarter went up, I see why you say it's somewhat related (I was aware of the C&D that hit Sol Contingency).

Irobot82

That promo code you used. Did that work? If it did work and Free-Fly week is currently active right now, I would suggest you load the game. Once in the hangar hit esc (this might have changed I think if 1.1 is out) Load Arena Commander, when it's menu is up near the bottom left there should be a drop list with ships to select from.

That's assuming the promo code works?!?

Otherwise

Aurora MR

and

Mustang Alpha

that is $45. It gives you a ship, Arena Commander Pass and Beta access to the PTU (which will then become the PTU, and Squadron 42)

On the assumption that you aren't a troll and you're just confused by the shitty layout of the Star Citizen web-store thing:

You can fly the Anvil now for free using the PAX code (it's what I'm doing, I am not a buyer or kickstarter and have paid nothing).
You can play the arena commander mode (2 small maps, basic 'horde mode' combat against 'vanduul' ships)

On Friday, you can fly any ship that's currently in the game.

On the 15th, your access stops and you need to buy the game.
That costs a minimum of $30-ish for the basic game and starter ship (no beta access), or $50-ish if you want a slightly better starter ship and beta access.

You can also buy extra individual ships or bundles for an extortionate amount of real money.
All ships will be purchasable with in-game money, but no one knows how much in-game effort/time it will cost.
All speculation on the pay-to-win aspects are just speculation at the moment. Chris Roberts says there's no pay-to-win, so it depends on how much you trust him I guess.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
On the assumption that you aren't a troll and you're just confused by the shitty layout of the Star Citizen web-store thing:

You can fly the Anvil now for free using the PAX code (it's what I'm doing, I am not a buyer or kickstarter and have paid nothing).
You can play the arena commander mode (2 small maps, basic 'horde mode' combat against 'vanduul' ships)

That costs a minimum of $30-ish for the basic game and starter ship (no beta access), or $50-ish if you want a slightly better starter ship and beta access.

You can also buy extra individual ships or bundles for an extortionate amount of real money.
All ships will be purchasable with in-game money, but no one knows how much in-game effort/time it will cost.
All speculation on the pay-to-win aspects are just speculation at the moment. Chris Roberts says there's no pay-to-win, so it depends on how much you trust him I guess.

That's only for backers. I don't think people using the PAX code to try out the single-player stuff will get access to all the ships.

Zalusithix

This imagery this provides amuses me greatly.

Outside of imagining a giant anvil flying around space, Anvil Aerospace is an in game company that makes ships. There are multiple models built by said company. In this case you'd be flying a Hornet variant. Should be the equivalent of the not for sale military variant if its like the trainer hornets were (has the ball turret). It's a pretty damn nice ship for a free test. Certainly more interesting than flying the RSI Aurora around IMO.

That's only for backers. I don't think people using the PAX code to try out the single-player stuff will get access to all the ships.
Did they clarify that one way or another? I don't think it'd hurt anything to allow them have the same privilege. If anything it might get them to shell out for the game.

Edit: On an unrelated note, when the 'Tali goes up for sale again, great restraint on my end is going to be needed. I love the way the ship looks, but I have absolutely no interest in bombing runs. Especially bombing runs against ships large enough to need a 'Tali. It'd be one thing if it could be retrofitted to be a kick ass transport, but it's pretty low yield on that front. Not much cargo room even with the torpedoes being sacrificed.

lacinius

Thanks, but I was more inclined on upgrading my Aurora to something of similar size/price, I don't have a lot of money so I will buy bigger ships when I can eventually with in-game money.

I saw there is a upgrade package to trade my Aurora LN for a Mustang Beta.
Is it worth it ?

I have the Mustang Beta, this despite also having the Freelancer DUR that I can't fly yet. The Mustang Beta is the "Explorer" variant and comes with a jump drive and very nice living quarters in the back... something the other Mustangs do not have. I also really like the amazing visibility you get sitting in the cockpit, and it makes for a solid starter explorer package. I've only had the Beta for about a month now, but it's a fun little ship to drive, and even with the DUR I can see me hanging on the Beta just because the first impressions have been so positive.

Check out this walkthrough video of the Beta, as it's a great little ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_6VEjQvxY

Odah

Banned
Is there any way to make the graphics better? I set the game on

Graphics: Very High

but there is still some horrible aliasing going on

Is there any way to make the graphics better? I set the game on

Graphics: Very High

but there is still some horrible aliasing going on

The game currently doesnt have any AA beyond SMAA1x. You can downsample if you want.
I have the Mustang Beta, this despite also having the Freelancer DUR that I can't fly yet. The Mustang Beta is the "Explorer" variant and comes with a jump drive and very nice living quarters in the back... something the other Mustangs do not have. I also really like the amazing visibility you get sitting in the cockpit, and it makes for a solid starter explorer package. I've only had the Beta for about a month now, but it's a fun little ship to drive, and even with the DUR I can see me hanging on the Beta just because the first impressions have been so positive.

Check out this walkthrough video of the Beta, as it's a great little ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_6VEjQvxY

I also have the beta and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom