• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKRT00

Eh, I really don't mind them missing a deadline or two if it means CIG employees actually get to see their families once in a while and don't drop dead from exhaustion.

Crunch is probably the only thing i dont like about development of this game.

commedieu

Banned
Most of the stuff people just told you is promised but not implemented. For example, multicrew ships aren't flyable yet. Here's hoping everything turns out well.

Also, the universe isn't planned to be anywhere near the scale as Elite. When the game actually launches, there are supposed to be around 100 star systems, most with a few interesting locations. That's a lot of content but nowhere near the millions (billions?) of stars in Elite.

The difference is that each location will be given special attention to make it feel unique and not a product of procedural generation. ..the procedurarlly generated worlds will supposedly come later.

Well.. heres hoping for the best..

Multicrew would definitely be great with friends. I remember that old game on AOL, where people could hop in old planes and fly them. you could be pilot/bomber/turrets. Been a while since a fun dynamic like that.

Same. I don't want to support that development style at all.

And it seems that CIG crunches for practically all of their public presentations.

They also said on one or two occasions that it is voluntary.

Not sure if that means for every time they need to make a deadline.

Odah

Banned
Sooo...can anyone explain me how the Persistence Universe will be like?

Is it going to be something like Star Wars: Empire at War but instead you can fly around inbetween the planets and solar systems? Like, that there are no loading screens and such, huge empty space rooms, etc...

I still have no clue on how that PTU is going to be like despite backing the game a year ago

Zalusithix

They also said on one or two occasions that it is voluntary.

Not sure if that means for every time they need to make a deadline.

It might technically be voluntary, but people can feel pressured to work just the same if everybody else is working. Kind of a peer pressure to not be the odd guy out that's not contributing and holding things back.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Is it going to be something like Star Wars: Empire at War but instead you can fly around inbetween the planets and solar systems? Like, that there are no loading screens and such, huge empty space rooms, etc...

I still have no clue on how that PTU is going to be like despite backing the game a year ago

Maybe we'll find out this Sunday when the persistent universe trailer debuts at South by Southwest.

Septic360

Banned
This is what my dream game would be like. If only it had proper publisher support as opposed to kickstarter funding (double edged sword i know)

KKRT00

This is what my dream game would be like. If only it had proper publisher support as opposed to kickstarter funding (double edged sword i know)
At this stage, they have more money than any publisher would give to any dev for a new IP.

--------

It will work similarly to EVE, just the amount of stuff per system will much, much greater. Basically You will have solar systems separated by jump points, You can fly seamlessly inside solar system, but to move to other, You need to use jump points.
Interest points on planets, stations, big capital ships will have separate instances, that You will be loading in landing sequence.

I am not sure what you are talking about since the current amount of money they have raised is 6K shy of 75 Million dollars.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

I am not sure there would be any pub out there that would spend so much on a space sim that is PC only.

At this stage, they have more money than any publisher would give to any dev for a new IP.

I could see a pub giving out this much but with a request that it be multiplatform and support every method of play under the sun.

FACE

Banned

This doesn't really make any sense to me. What benefits would having "proper publisher support" bring to these guys?

Kabouter

This doesn't really make any sense to me. What benefits would having "proper publisher support" bring to these guys?

The only thing I could maybe see would be that a publisher might prevent excessive feature creep, other than that, their current business model seems clearly better.

WillyFive

The only thing I could maybe see would be that a publisher might prevent excessive feature creep, other than that, their current business model seems clearly better.

I can agree with that.

I really see no reason why this game even needs an FPS component, but it does appear very attractive otherwise.

A publisher only does that by saying they will not pay for that or trying to control the goals and deadlines. But in the case of SC, they really stopped adding features almost 10 million ago and the features they claiming to add per million didn't seem like they would break what they were doing. I mean, the 64 million goal was to have pets on your ship. Other goals were to make a ship (obviously they had the design already) but for some of the goals it was to simply create the ship.

I don't see them going overboard with goals, just had a few milestones that talked about introducing major features but it wasn't like that for every milestone hit.

I can agree with that.

I really see no reason why this game even needs an FPS component, but it does appear very attractive otherwise.

The game always needed that, it was there from the start.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen

It was an interesting thing to talk about because of boarding ships and exploring derelict structures. The only thing Added as a stretch goal was FPS elements on the ground of select planets($20 million).

WillyFive

Interesting, I was not aware of that; from the 2nd-hand information I had been receiving beforehand it seemed to be to me a straight up space-sim shooter (which made me interested in the first place). Will be exciting to see it work well.

I can agree with that.

It was never planned as being merely a space flight sim. FPS was thought of as a core component... only recently has it become evident that the game is more universe sim than it is even mmo like.
Interesting, I was not aware of that; from the 2nd-hand information I had been receiving beforehand it seemed to be to me a straight up space-sim shooter (which made me interested in the first place). Will be exciting to see it work well.

It is known. :p

EDIT: how bout that 1.1 guys?

Geist-

Around the Verse Episode 35 is up.

And art sneak peek.
ZEm10Ov.png

That interview with Masker was awesome, extremely informative. As for the sneak peek, that might be the backer gatling gun reward for $54 million, although that would mean they changed the manufacturer to Apocalypse Arms instead of Preacher Armament.

Odah

Banned
Just tried out the ships in SC

Definetly going to upgrade my Aurora LN to a Mustang Beta, that interior sold me :eek:

Odah

Banned
^ nice talk. Also nice tour through the Raliator or however its called. However i prefer the design of the Constellation :p

Aaannnddd fps delayed to next month, can't blame them.looked a little rough last week. anybody got a tali? Supposedly it's in new ptu patch today

Zabojnik

They should just go ahead and announce the delay of S42 as well. We all know it has no chance of coming out before summer 2016. :)

Zalusithix

I did it! I upgraded my Aurora LN to a Mustang Beta. I feel happy now :3

For 4.80€ it was a must.

Now you need to follow the CCU path of Mustang Beta -> Aurora CL -> Mustang Gamma -> Avenger -> 315p. (If you want to remain in an explorer vessel.) You know you want to. ;)

Odah

Banned
IMO, the Beta has a much nicer interior for an explorer ship. The 315p (beyond its tractor beam) is rather lacking.

yeah I looked at in Arena Commander, it's pretty much just a big empty room whereas the Mustang Beta really has that "I'm alone and on a long trip in space"-feel

It has a toilet, a bed, shelves, storage room and more, all usable!

Much nicer imo ^^

Kabouter

I think its shape in game when flying is fine (green thrusters are a great touch), just the Beta color scheme is like some new power rangers kinda shit.

Yeah, no matter what it's doing, the entire Mustang series to me is ugly as hell :p
Purely on the basis of that, I'd sooner go with a 315p (or a Freelancer DUR if you're feeling flush :p)

I know going back and reworking things is getting old at this point, but I hope the 300 series gets some interior lovin. 315p needs some nice amenities like the Beta.

Zalusithix

Can I get up until to a Constellation? :p
No, but you can CCU from there to a Hornet and then to the Cutlass Red. (Close to an explorer.) =P

IMO, the Beta has a much nicer interior for an explorer ship. The 315p (beyond its tractor beam) is rather lacking.

315p lacks on the interior design but is superior on exterior design. Both ships have pretty nice canopies for a good view. The 315p, however, is better equipped on hardpoints by far. The larger fixed S2 hardpoints will allow you to attach either S2 weapons or gimballed S1 weapons to them vs the Beta being stuck with S1 fixed. Nose wise, the S2 gimbal on the 315p is more flexible than the S1 unmanned turret on the Beta. The 315p also has missile attachment points, and a better shield. Exploring out in the midst of space, I'd rather be trusting my life to the 315p.

Edit: And speaking of the Cutlass Red... Seeing as how the Gladius doesn't seem like it'll get a CCU, I just decided to CCU the Aurora MR to the Red. That leaves me with a hop to the Hornet Ghost if I end up regretting it. Technically the med bays of the Red are redundant to the ones on my Carrack for exploration purposes, but it'll be better for battle zones. Not exactly going to want to take the Carrack knowingly into danger.

Now you need to follow the CCU path of Mustang Beta -> Aurora CL -> Mustang Gamma -> Avenger -> 315p. (If you want to remain in an explorer vessel.) You know you want to. ;)

That's pretty much the path I went down, except I went further with a 325a to a Cutllass Black and now I have a Hornet, still waiting for those CCU's for the Freelancer.

No, but you can CCU from there to a Hornet and then to the Cutlass Red. (Close to an explorer.) =P

315p lacks on the interior design but is superior on exterior design. Both ships have pretty nice canopies for a good view. The 315p, however, is better equipped on hardpoints by far. The larger fixed S2 hardpoints will allow you to attach either S2 weapons or gimballed S1 weapons to them vs the Beta being stuck with S1 fixed. Nose wise, the S2 gimbal on the 315p is more flexible than the S1 unmanned turret on the Beta. The 315p also has missile attachment points, and a better shield. Exploring out in the midst of space, I'd rather be trusting my life to the 315p.

Edit: And speaking of the Cutlass Red... Seeing as how the Gladius doesn't seem like it'll get a CCU, I just decided to CCU the Aurora MR to the Red. That leaves me with a hop to the Hornet Ghost if I end up regretting it. Technically the med bays of the Red are redundant to the ones on my Carrack for exploration purposes, but it'll be better for battle zones. Not exactly going to want to take the Carrack knowingly into danger.

Bigger weapons, more hardpoints mean more power draw. Chances are it means a higher sig. You are going to "need" those weapons if you show up as a bright blip on the radars, where as the beta most likely has a lower sig and will attract the least amount of attention.

Yeah, just a shame the Mustang's exterior is hideous :p

I wasn't interested my self till this vid.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_6VEjQvxY

After a glass of wine or two, she isn't so bad.

Zalusithix

Bigger weapons, more hardpoints mean more power draw. Chances are it means a higher sig. You are going to "need" those weapons if you show up as a bright blip on the radars, where as the beta most likely has a lower sig and will attract the least amount of attention.

Cross sectional signature differences should be marginal given that they're both about the same size. EM/IR have differences and the Beta is technically lower than the 315 in both at idle. When pushed to their limits they have the same rough IR, and the beta retains a lower EM. Frankly though, the differences are negligible. Neither one is all that stealthy. A Super Hornet of all things has a bit higher EM at idle than either, but actually lower IR. Sure, once you're in combat the SH spikes way higher, but if we're talking combat, then we need to factor combat capabilities more than the signature to avoid it. If you really want to avoid being found then you need a true stealth ship like the Hornet Ghost which has drastically lower EM and IR (While firing its weapons it maintains an EM/IR level comparable to the Beta/315 at idle).

Special ships like the Ghost aside, the non combat signatures only seem to really see a big difference once we get to different ship size classes. The Cutlass for instance idles quite a bit higher and all things factored in should have an equivalent signature while making a stationary turn than the 315p would have flying around while firing its weapons at the same time (same IR, less EM, larger cross section).

Ship Signatures (EM / IR) on Dying Star level (roughly):
Mustang Beta
  • 200 / 415 - Idle
  • 300 / 550 - Weapons firing
  • 215 / 600 - Spinning - No weapons
  • 230 / 900 - Flying - No weapons
  • 330 / 1200 - Flying - Weapons firing
315p
  • 243 / 447 - Idle
  • 411 / 600 - Weapons firing
  • 263 / 700 - Spinning - No weapons
  • 270 / 1100 - Flying - No weapons
  • 450 / 1200 - Flying - Weapons firing
Super Hornet
  • 299 / 346 - Idle
  • 420 / 500 - Weapon group 1 firing
  • 659 / 700 - Weapon group 2 firing
  • 779 / 870 - Weapon groups 1 & 2 firing
  • 325 / 600 - Spinning - No weapons
  • 340 / 900 - Flying - No weapons
  • 800 / 1400 - Flying - Weapon groups 1 & 2 firing
Hornet Ghost
  • 138 / 219 - Idle
  • 229 / 350 - Weapons firing
  • 145 / 450 - Spinning - No weapons
  • 150 / 500 - Flying - No weapons
  • 250 / 630 - Flying - Weapons firing
Cutlass Black
  • 362 / 545 - Idle
  • 452 / 700 - Weapon group 1 firing
  • 562 / 800 - Weapon groups 1 & 2 firing
  • 370 / 1200 - Spinning - No weapons
  • 400 / 1400 - Flying - No weapons
  • 600 / 1700 - Flying - Weapon groups 1 & 2 firing
That was way too much staring at SC loading screens to compile that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom