• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coolest section of that Scale Issues slide for is the bit on the far right. A section of two ships titled Alien.

Does this mean that this game will have some alien encounters? If yes, sign me up. My problem with EVE Online always was that the game had almost no high concept alien designs or items. I know it had some, but I did not consider those alien at all.

Yes, they're already in the game. That's what the Vanduul Swarm game mode features (Vanduul Scythe's), and they're one of the main enemies in the game.

Banu are another known alien race.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Vanduul
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Banu

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, completely based on Ender's Game. First team through the gate and everything.

Which is completely fucking awesome. Can't wait to try it.
It always seemed like an obvious thing to try in a game. Surely some hobbyists have tried it before -- did anyone ever get a reasonable version working?

The closest thing I can think of is the ill-fated Shatter Horizon zero-gravity space FPS.

RK9039

PU pre-alpha and SQ42 this year.

8247%20-%20Raw%20autoplay_gif%20clapping%20crying%20gif%20paul_heyman%20wwe.gif

Amazing.

RK9039

i've got an alpha slot, so does that mean i'll be able to play that glorious shit this year. ?

Of course :D

They do start rolling it out for everyone one by one, depends on when you bought the alpha. But the wait isn't usually that long, I think I waited a week for AC after it came out for the earlier backers.

Shy

Of course :D

They do start rolling it out for everyone one by one, depends on when you bought the alpha. But the wait isn't usually that long, I think I waited a week for AC after it came out for the earlier backers.
nice. ! :D

I'm surprised the FPS module wasn't pushed back as they've been saying it's coming around March for a while. They actually might make a target release date!

But this isn’t the end of the road for this tech, there’s still several major features we’re working on. One of these is particle effects that are created, simulated and rendered entirely on the GPU, and this gives them two huge advantages. The first is performance, we can spawn 10-100 times more GPU particles than CPU particles for the same cost. The other benefit is that they tie in perfectly with the precise damage you’ve taken, so as the hull burns you’ll get glowing embers falling off, when it takes physical damage you’ll see shards of metal fly off, and when you blow out a large section of the hull you’ll see space littered with the debris. We’re also working on some major optimizations using to the damage system using DirectX 11 features to ensure that it’ll still run fast when there’s twenty fighters attacking a capital ship!

I am a little wet. Just a bit.

MrBig

I'm surprised the FPS module wasn't pushed back as they've been saying it's coming around March for a while. They actually might make a target release date!

I guess this is a good a time as any to say that I've been on media blackout for this game (and taking a rest from gaming in general). If someone else that is paying more attention would take up creating OPs for now at least I'm sure that I and others would appreciate it. I could get something barebones up but I couldn't do something like this OP again for now. Anything in my OP may be freely copied for this use.

I'll surely be back by the time this game really starts coming to fruition. I hope those that are following development enjoy it!

This games graphics are too clean guys, too advanced, too related to gameplay. So unreal, needs more lens dirt, desaturation, and a 2X2px Gaussian applied across nearly the entire image.

RK9039

This games graphics are too clean guys, too advanced, too related to gameplay. So unreal, needs more lens dirt, desaturation, and a 2X2px Gaussian applied across nearly the entire image.

It needs a letterbox effect as well and very low FOV, then at least it could look as good as The Order 1886.

lol

Daedardus

The best part about Electronic Acces is that it's the storefront where you can spend your REC to rent ships/weapons, featuring it prominently in the game.

I walked around the hanger a bit didn't jump into the game. It looks good but it definitely could use AA. Hanger compared to in game, what's the performance difference? not comparable? Surprisingly, vram usage just the hanger was around 3.5 GB. I wonder if that's just lack of optimization in it's alpha state or Cryengine just using what it can for caching.

I walked around the hanger a bit didn't jump into the game. It looks good but it definitely could use AA. Hanger compared to in game, what's the performance difference? not comparable? Surprisingly, vram usage just the hanger was around 3.5 GB. I wonder if that's just lack of optimization in it's alpha state or Cryengine just using what it can for caching.

Free flight runs better on my rig than the hangar. The game has VERY high res textures... that is why tbh. Turn down texture res in the ini and you can see how it uses less vram.

That's good to hear. I was actually getting pretty good performance in the Hanger 70-90 fps but there were some sudden stutters. May have been vram related. I have SLI 970s and it was right there in that 3.5 GB area.

That's good to hear. I was actually getting pretty good performance in the Hanger 70-90 fps but there were some sudden stutters. May have been vram related. I have SLI 970s and it was right there in that 3.5 GB area.

When i tried Arena commander on my brother's SLI 970 rig it did the same thing... I really assume the VRAM in 970 is the cultprit :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Gonna be a good week.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/239100

We get a Note from the Chairman tomorrow and a Letter From the Chairman on Friday, as well as a deep dive on music on Friday (finally! it's been a while since we've heard about the music!) and a free-fly week of all AC-ready ships starting Friday. We also get AC 1.1, a Retaliator sale and a Retaliator brochure sometime this week.

Still waiting on that PAX video today, though.

KKRT00

Gonna be a good week.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/239100

We get a Note from the Chairman tomorrow and a Letter From the Chairman on Friday, as well as a deep dive on music on Friday (finally! it's been a while since we've heard about the music!) and a free-fly week of all AC-ready ships starting Friday. We also get AC 1.1, a Retaliator sale and a Retaliator brochure sometime this week.

Still waiting on that PAX video today, though.

Oh yes! I've been waiting for more songs to be added.

I could melt my M50 and put it towards a Gladius, melt my Super Hornet and put it towards a Retaliator when it goes on sale, and then just buy a Vanguard whenever that comes out... I love Aegis Dynamics ships.

Friday will be a lot of fun for everyone.

And yes, I do believe that the lowest buy in with AC is $45.

KKRT00

Chris wanted to say so much more about DX12 and Vulkan in today's 10 for the Chairman and he couldnt :p

Patiently await for an inside video about Frankfurt studio!

Manoko

I have an Aurora LN, but am looking to upgrade it to another ship (hopefully more beautiful) that is aimed at exploration mainly (that's what I'll most likely spend time on doing in Star Citizen).

Any recommendation ?
Honestly, with all the ships there are, I'm lost.

Shy

I have an Aurora LN, but am looking to upgrade it to another ship (hopefully more beautiful) that is aimed at exploration mainly (that's what I'll most likely spend time on doing in Star Citizen).

Any recommendation ?
depending on your budget.

the freelancer dur.
the constellation aquila.
and the carrack, when that goes back on sale.

there are also mustang, aurora and 350 explorer models.
You only get arena? I don't even see these two packages listed on the site.
no no, you also get squadron 42 and star citizen ( PU ) too.

Package - Aurora MR AC Starter.
Package - Mustang Alpha AC Starter.

Zabojnik

Why's everyone calling the long range fighter Vanguard? What happened to the Bulldog? When did the name change :O

Recently. Bulldog is dead.

Any recommendation ?

Freelancer Dur is a nice option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom