• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Wow the cockpit looks amazing from the inside, it' so open!

Yeah, for visibility, nothing tops the Mustang, great ship to fly as well (everyone can fly all Arena Commander ships this week, so yeah, also the entire Mustang series). And the beta is a great design internally. If only the entire series wasn't so goddamn ugly on the outside, I'd definitely be looking to get one in the PU :p

Zalusithix

Yeah, for visibility, nothing tops the Mustang, great ship to fly as well (everyone can fly all Arena Commander ships this week, so yeah, also the entire Mustang series). And the beta is a great design internally. If only the entire series wasn't so goddamn ugly on the outside, I'd definitely be looking to get one in the PU :p

It's a great view to be sure, but if you don't mind the couple of bars, the Khartu-Al is going to match/beat it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWPrWWGxCvs God I can't wait for that damn ship to become hanger ready.

Edit: The Khartu is going to be so good with VR/TrackIR. Being able to quickly turn your head and visually check virtually any point in space that's not directly behind you is going to be a huge asset in combat when combined with its high maneuverability. Even in the case of looking behind you, since the ship is so narrow, you'll still have a pretty good view. Signature isn't going to matter as much when you can get a visual on the enemy regardless of where they are in relation to the ship.

Odah

Banned
I loaded my hangar with all available ships and holy shit there where texture flickering bugs everywhere lol. You know, the bug where the textures get stretched to an insane lengh causing you to see exactly nothing. I tried to get into the cutlass to take a look at it and it didn't work :(

Kabouter

Unless the Khartu comes with some insane pressure suit that mitigates the G forces somewhat, I'd spend more time blacked out than actually flying the ship if I got it. Holy crap what a crazy design.

Odah

Banned
Unless the Khartu comes with some insane pressure suit that mitigates the G forces somewhat, I'd spend more time blacked out than actually flying the ship if I got it. Holy crap what a crazy design.

Isn't that this red alien ship from Xi'an?

Zalusithix

Yeah, I'm not sure how the whole red/black-out is going to work with with a ship that is so maneuverable. At least you'll look cool while blacking out. ;) Now that I think about it though, due to the gimballed engines, you'd theoretically be able to fly the ship sideways/backwards/whatever. Kind of like the decoupled mode to eliminate the insane g-forces due to acceleration in extreme direction changes. Unlike decoupled mode, however, you'd be able to still direct the ship's direction to prevent crashing. Since it's a two seater, the disorientation would be a bit minimized while maintaining functionality.

Isn't that this red alien ship from Xi'an?
Yes, it's one of the few totally alien ships revealed that's flyable by humans. Hence it looks basically nothing like any of the human designed ships.

Geist-

Warning: Spoilers for SQ42. Interview with Chris where he talks about SQ42.

What can you tell us about the plot? (Warning: spoilers.)

Bishop, a very well-known and -liked admiral of the UEE—think of him like Maximus from Gladiator—won a battle [with the enemy Vanduul] at great personal loss; his daughter commanded one of the other ships in the fleet, and she sacrifices herself to save Bishop's ship. That's one of the reasons why Bishop is haunted.

You start out in the military earning citizenship, and you get your wish to become a fighter pilot. While you're training, Admiral Bishop and the [UEE] task force go off into Vanduul space and take the fight to them. As you come out to deploy, the news comes through that they've lost contact with the task force. Bishop goes missing, and the rest of the game is you trying to find him.

You go behind enemy lines, trying to find out where Bishop is, and you see things that have happened along the way that gives you [a reaction] like, Has he lost his mind? What's happening? It's sort of the Ninth Legion mixed with Heart of Darkness.

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there's a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth's defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there's this big last stand, and you get back to human space. But Bishop is still left, behind the Vanduul side, kind of like Commander Cain on the Pegasus in [classic] Battlestar Galactica. You come back a bit of a war hero, and you muster out, and potentially Bishop's still out there fighting the battle behind enemy lines.

tuxfool

Banned
I clicked on that interview yesterday and stupidly read the first 2 sentences.

I highly recommend that noone messes with those spolier tags / text if you are interested in being surprised at the SQ42 story.

It doesn't look like an amazingly special story. We'll see if it is executed well...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What can you tell us about the plot? (Warning: spoilers.)

So you get behind enemy lines, and you find out there's a Vanduul plan to shortcut past the Earth's defenses, and you have to stop it.

At the end of it there's this big last stand, and you get back to human space.

oh my God, they're ripping off
the Wing Commander movie's plot. PLEASE tell me we won't hear depth charges in space in this game.

and maybe during the first chapter when the Vanduul
surprise attack the space station, they'll steal the COMCON and have the coordinates of Earth,
I mean who knows, right?

Zalusithix

Great, now I have to avoid spoiling things for myself for a year. I give myself 10% odds I'll make it to launch without clicking on those black bars lol...

Zalusithix

Well I am RPing this game hard with my character, so I want his eperiences in SQ42 to form his political / world view when I hit the PU. Hence how not wanting to be spoiled :D

Also, how about that Mercenary character model on AtV
http://webmup.com/BQhCg/vid.webm

Strangely enough I kind of look forward to my first character's true death. The whole pass the ships on to another character bit will be interesting. We can have ships that will outlive the characters that flew them. I'm actually more interested in the potential for ship legacies over that of the characters in the PU.

Kssio_Aug

Wow, I have to say that this 5 minutes gameplay trailer was trully awesome!!
But I guess that I stand no chance with a GTX 570, i5-2500 and 8gb ram, am I right?

Odah

Banned
But I guess that I stand no chance with a GTX 570, i5-2500 and 8gb ram, am I right?

All I gotta say is I'm having problems at 1080p high settings with a GTX780, i7 4770k and 16gb ram

Upgrade your GPU when the time comes. Like it has been said before, the 2500 is rather fine for now. Unless you are going for ultra high framerates or something.

Kssio_Aug

All I gotta say is I'm having problems at 1080p high settings with a GTX780, i7 4770k and 16gb ram

Holly damn! =o

Upgrade your GPU when the time comes. Like it has been said before, the 2500 is rather fine for now. Unless you are going for ultra high framerates or something.

Yeah, till then I may work on a upgrade. I'm impressed by the footage, wasnt expecting much of this one.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I have a Radeon 7870 (similar in power to your 570), an i5-760 (about half as good as your 2500) and 8 GB of RAM. I can run Arena Commander on high at about 30 fps and at 1080p. Mind you, it crashes often, but I attribute that to it being pre-alpha and my now-shitty processor... But anyway, you should be able to run the game OK with your current setup. You (and I) will want to upgrade in the next year, though.

I'm playing very high 1080p 16 gb 3770k and 680 but it seems performance takes a hit now with every big patch

Definitely upgrading for Sq 42 when that comes out though

Zalusithix

A 570 will be a horrible experience. My 590 without SLI enabled was a slide show, and even with SLI it was a stuttery mess. Aside from the lack of power, the 500 series also lack sufficient VRAM. Going from the 590 to a 970 made a ridiculously huge difference. Sub 30fps with stutters on the 590 at any setting to averaging around 75-90fps in a mostly full hanger with the 970 at 1600p very high setting. (350R, M50, Connie Phoenix, Mustang Delta, Super Hornet, Cutlass Red.) AC botless sim went from a mess where the framerates would bounce from barely playable to headache inducing on the 590 to silky 60+ on the 970. (A match with people or bots I haven't done yet on the 970, and didn't dare try with the 590.)

I was going to wait until later in the year for the rumored die shrink and do a full system replacement for my aging machine. (i7-920 @ 3.5, 12GB RAM - originally with a freaking GTX 295 before the 590) With the new details on Pascale though, I decided I'll put that off to 2016. I didn't have the patience to wait potentially over another year to make SC playable, so I decided the 970 was a good stop gap measure. Pleasantly surprised so far with the results so far. The real test will be in a game with more than one ship flying around - both for the card and my old CPU. Still, that old CPU has served me very well over the years.

tuxfool

Banned
. The real test will be in a game with more than one ship flying around - both for the card and my old CPU. Still, that old CPU has served me very well over the years.

You haven't tried swarm mode? Or Murray Cup?

In my case the Murray Cup definitely is the one hit with the most slowdown.

Zalusithix

You haven't tried swarm mode? Or Murray Cup?

In my case the Murray Cup definitely is the one hit with the most slowdown.

In the case of the 970, I just put the card in last night, and have work today. I wasn't about to sacrifice sleep for the game. On my 590 it wouldn't have been practical to do anything. You can't realistically race or fight when your likely to have instances where the framerate tanks to single digit levels.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
A 570 will be a horrible experience. My 590 without SLI enabled was a slide show, and even with SLI it was a stuttery mess. Aside from the lack of power, the 500 series also lack sufficient VRAM. Going from the 590 to a 970 made a ridiculously huge difference. Sub 30fps with stutters on the 590 at any setting to averaging around 75-90fps in a mostly full hanger with the 970 at 1600p very high setting. (350R, M50, Connie Phoenix, Mustang Delta, Super Hornet, Cutlass Red.) AC botless sim went from a mess where the framerates would bounce from barely playable to headache inducing on the 590 to silky 60+ on the 970. (A match with people or bots I haven't done yet on the 970, and didn't dare try with the 590.)

I was going to wait until later in the year for the rumored die shrink and do a full system replacement for my aging machine. (i7-920 @ 3.5, 12GB RAM - originally with a freaking GTX 295 before the 590) With the new details on Pascale though, I decided I'll put that off to 2016. I didn't have the patience to wait potentially over another year to make SC playable, so I decided the 970 was a good stop gap measure. Pleasantly surprised so far with the results so far. The real test will be in a game with more than one ship flying around - both for the card and my old CPU. Still, that old CPU has served me very well over the years.

Eh, OK, I didn't realize nVidia's 500 series only had 1 GB of VRAM. My 7870 has 2 GB, and that probably makes a huge difference with this game's graphics being so intensive.

Zalusithix

Eh, OK, I didn't realize nVidia's 500 series only had 1 GB of VRAM. My 7870 has 2 GB, and that probably makes a huge difference with this game's graphics being so intensive.

Yeah, Star Citzen demands RAM - both VRAM and system, and when you're at the low end, every extra bit helps. Half of my 590 was effectively a reduced 580, and thus actually had more VRAM than the 570 (1.5 vs 1.2GB), and it would run out. If I was swapping hard with system ram, I don't want to know what the 570 with less VRAM would be like.

That generation of cards had a good life and performed passably up until recently. The new games developed with current gen consoles in mind, however, eat RAM even without silly high resolutions. Star Citizen pushes beyond even those targets by being PC only. The old GPUs just can't keep up - even with lowered settings.

Contrast that to CPUs on the other hand where a good CPU from back in 2008-9 is still passable in many cases today. Still a bottleneck mind you on the high end, but compared to the vast differences in GPUs from those years to current ones, it's a drop in the bucket.

Daedardus

Keep in mind that while requirements will first increase due to added complexity, they will lower after optimisation near release. Partial support for DX12 (don't know which series will take actual advantage) will also bring a boost to performance, especially AA as previously mentioned.

Zalusithix

Keep in mind that while requirements will first increase due to added complexity, they will lower after optimisation near release. Partial support for DX12 (don't know which series will take actual advantage) will also bring a boost to performance, especially AA as previously mentioned.

Yeah, I don't see SC ending up as a game that only people with top end PCs can play. I do think that it's going to require power on par with a midrange card in 2016 though. Granted with all the bells and whistles enabled at high resolutions it'll require more.

That said, a midrange 2016 GPU with the new architectures combined with die shrinks should mop the floor with the current cards.

ASTROID2

Update 1.1 is out. Requires new install.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14572-Star-Citizen-11-Is-Live

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14606-Star-Citizen-11-Installation-Guide

-The new installer fixes many small installation bugs, crashes, and bad data errors players were seeing.
-The installer no longer defaults a player’s install to the “My Documents” folder, but the standard Program Files folder.
-With the new CDN, we have done away with the hundreds of incremental patches that were stored on our old provider. These hundreds of patches represented almost 600gigs of possible problems that players could encounter, leading to Metafile errors, Manifest errors, and other squirrely behavior.

Geist-

Vanguard Concept Sale next Friday.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/242565/vanguard-concept-sale-pricing/p1

Hey guys! A while back, I promised to inform you a week in advance of concept sale pricing. We are hoping to launch the Aegis Vanguard concept sale next week (if, and only if, we're happy with the current status!) next week, and the intended price is $250. The Vanguard is looking pretty cool, and it's certainly a ship I'm looking forward to seeing finished. Stay tuned!

Wow, $250 for a "fighter". My expectations just skyrocketed (which means there's a bigger chance for disappointment).

ASTROID2

There's a bug where its not applying the new patch.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/242640

Hey All,

We have determined that there are a number of problems with the 1.1.0 patch that are currently affecting players.
1. A Player downloads up to 1.0.3 and see no other patches
2. A Player downloads up to 1.0.3 and then get 2 short patches to 1.1.0 but when logging into game they get connection errors

Both of these are due to bad patch data on the CDN.
We have deleted the bad data, and regenerated the patch manifest that points players to the CDN's data.

This solution should be online in about 30mins.
However, anyone stuck in the top two states will have to uninstall and reinstall their game.

We are very sorry for these issues!

Jeremy Masker
Director of Game Operations

Edit:
The total size is 25GB, but the launcher will require twice that space to work effectively today.

(This double space requirement will be fixed in future versions of the launcher.)

Edit 2: Everything seems to be working now.

tuxfool

Banned
Goddamit. 99% downloaded and then patching fails.

Urgh, now I have to redownload everything with crappily fluctuating speeds. Not so impressed with their new CDN.

Zalusithix

Ah... incredibly bad luck then.

Even with a stupidly fast connection though, you'd have to be incredibly lucky to be able to max it out on this tonight. While in the beginning I was able to saturate my humble 30Mb connection, I'm only getting about half that now. Amazon's servers are groaning under the load.

If anything, it seems like it's teasing me. Constantly slowing down to perpetually stay 1 hour away from being finished lol.

i dont remember seeing this question asked but will SQ42 include all the ships found from the online portion? are we locked to the hornet or can it be swapped mid game? will the single player game be similar to Mass Effect 2+ (story driven game, not much to explore) or kind of like X-Rebirth (mining, side missions, story, etc)

epmode

It's almost certainly going to be like the Wing Commander series. You're in the military so you're automatically assigned a ship for each mission and I doubt you'll pilot more than five or six throughout the campaign.

Mission design will be relatively linear although you may see minor branching based on your performance in previous missions.

Between missions, you will presumably be able to talk to your crew and putter around your carrier.

MrBig

i dont remember seeing this question asked but will SQ42 include all the ships found from the online portion? are we locked to the hornet or can it be swapped mid game? will the single player game be similar to Mass Effect 2+ (story driven game, not much to explore) or kind of like X-Rebirth (mining, side missions, story, etc)

SQ42 will be cinematic in nature - the exploration focused gameplay will be found in the persistant universe. There will be elements of choice but SQ42 is a military storyline and you will be told what to do/where to go, even if you have some choice as to how and what with tools you do it.

Geist-

Just found this on reddit.

ZL8HW7a.png

Looks like they're going all out for FPS customization. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom