• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Just found this on reddit.

ZL8HW7a.png

Looks like they're going all out for FPS customization. Awesome.
A39l9k7.gif

This really is going to be the game of the forever. isn't it gaf.

Blizzard

Banned
Of course. Because no one uses controllers to play SC so far at all.

/s
You may be sarcastic, but I would assume that controllers (do you mean flight-sim-style controllers?) are used because they are standard and work well for flight control.

In contrast, keyboard controls are pretty standard and work well for FPS controls, which I think was why the other poster commented on it.

Shy

I believe tthe reason it's controller prompts in that pic is because the game has native 360 controller support, and the dev who did the screengrab was testing the FPS mode with the pad.

You may be sarcastic, but I would assume that controllers (do you mean flight-sim-style controllers?) are used because they are standard and work well for flight control.

In contrast, keyboard controls are pretty standard and work well for FPS controls, which I think was why the other poster commented on it.

I am just kidding because people are most likely playing SC now with controllers or joysticks, the FPS is simply as an added module. I am sure given the feedback and the engine they are using if a controller is plugged in it is going to show up like that in the menu's even if you prefer using KBM for shooters.

Take for instance steam titles, some steam titles will notice the controller I have plugged in and the menu's represent that even if I do not plan on playing that particular game with the controller.

Blizzard

Banned
I am just kidding because people are most likely playing SC now with controllers or joysticks, the FPS is simply as an added module. I am sure given the feedback and the engine they are using if a controller is plugged in it is going to show up like that in the menu's even if you prefer using KBM for shooters.

Take for instance steam titles, some steam titles will notice the controller I have plugged in and the menu's represent that even if I do not plan on playing that particular game with the controller.
That's a good point.

I've been out of touch, have they added custom keybinds yet?

Yup.

Apparently someone found a login/pw into CIG's JIRA inside the patch's text files, and leaked their internal timeline for releases. CIG knows about it and hasn't asked to take it down, so here's a link for anyone curious.

WARNING: SQ42 chapter names are in one of the screenshots, so I'd avoid them if you dont wan't that spoiled.

http://imgur.com/a/NtkGi

AJLma

Just really dove into this for the first time since you can bind HOTAS ingame now, and holy shit this game turning out to be a lot of fun.

The sense of speed when the game is running at 50-60FPS is great. I felt as though I had a pit in my stomach at times like I was on a roller coaster jousting back and forth with one of the tougher Vandull Swarm enemies.

I'm probably going to be playing a lot more of this game from now on.

-Deimos

Yup.

Apparently someone found a login/pw into CIG's JIRA inside the patch's text files, and leaked their internal timeline for releases. CIG knows about it and hasn't asked to take it down, so here's a link for anyone curious.

WARNING: SQ42 chapter names are in one of the screenshots, so I'd avoid them if you dont wan't that spoiled.

http://imgur.com/a/NtkGi

Awesome, thanks. For the answer and the link haha. Hopefully they stick to these dates.

bounchfx

this games development is like the ultimate dog & pony show

I really, really, really, really hope they can pull of even 1/10th of what they seem to be promising people, because it sounds amazing. but I'm keeping my expectations in check :\

KKRT00

Just found this on reddit.

ZL8HW7a.png

Looks like they're going all out for FPS customization. Awesome.
Feels like ARMA, i'm totally ok with this :)

---

Here's a video of a guy getting into the rear seat of the Cutlass and his friend flying the ship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsY71HQU20k

The dream is coming true!

---

We all should totally open a free flight lobby sometime

dYQu6F7.gif

Damn, that speed. The specular reflection is SO good.

---
This game will shake the industry and its gonna be awesome.

Odah

Banned

I really, really, really, really hope they can pull of even 1/10th of what they seem to be promising people, because it sounds amazing. but I'm keeping my expectations in check :\

I think alot of the promised features will be here on day one, but not as fleshed out like they promised, only really the basics will be here and it will need another 2-3 years until the game is really how we imagine it.

2019 here I come

I really, really, really, really hope they can pull of even 1/10th of what they seem to be promising people, because it sounds amazing. but I'm keeping my expectations in check :

The single player campaign and the FPS module will probably fulfill all of the promises made by the time it official releases and just on that the price of admission for me (Avenger) would be worth it. The rest of the game (PU) will always be worked and expanded so I think it's fair to say that it's in safe hands.

Am I alone in thinking if Chris went with UE4 the game would be out a bit sooner?

Odah

Banned
The single player campaign and the FPS module will probably fulfill all of the promises made by the time it official releases and just on that the price of admission for me (Avenger) would be worth it. The rest of the game (PU) will always be worked and expanded so I think it's fair to say that it's in safe hands.

Am I alone in thinking if Chris went with UE4 the game would be out a bit sooner?

sooner maybe, but not as beautiful @_@

I think CryEngine is more suited for a game like this anyways

tuxfool

Banned
What's this about ship insurance? What happens to your ship if it gets too damaged?

You have to buy insurance in case your ship gets destroyed. If the ship gets damaged then you probably have to pay for repairs, I'm not sure if the insurance in the game covers ship damage.

Zalusithix

Of course. Because no one uses controllers to play SC so far at all.

/s

Yeah, people use controllers now as they make sense for flying, but in the FPS module, controllers are going to have a severe disadvantage compared to standard mouse & KB controls. Considering this is a controlled media release, and how fussy FPS fans tend to be on the PC, I just found it odd to release something that could awaken the hornet's nest. ;) Personally, I don't really care as the FPS aspect is the part I care the least about. It'll be something that I'm more or less forced to do in a last ditch effort to save a ship, but not something I'm going to actively seek out as a gameplay mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom